Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG MIKE ... hope the next two years are just as much fun for you!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Added a nice one this week. This was gotten signed in person by a fellow collector over on SCN.

1969 Topps Walt Frazier

Buying US Presidential autographs
    Saw this one on ebay and made a fair offer and was able to pick it up. For a while this guy was pound for pound the best professional boxer in the world. Gold medal champion for the US in 1992 Olympics.

1992 Impel Olympicards Oscar De La Hoya PSA/DNA slabbed

• schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Sweet pick up!

<< <i>Saw this one on ebay and made a fair offer and was able to pick it up. For a while this guy was pound for pound the best professional boxer in the world. Gold medal champion for the US in 1992 Olympics.

1992 Impel Olympicards Oscar De La Hoya PSA/DNA slabbed

image >>

Who is Rober Maris?
    Bought these 3 from fellow board member Eyebone. 3 nice vintage NHL HOF'ers .

1970 Topps Gil Perreault

1973 OPC Bill Barber

1973 OPC Larry Robinson

One of my friends out in LA got this one signed for me in the last couple of weeks. Buss in the NBA HOF Class of 2010. In addition to that, he's a pretty good poker player as well

1986 Star Co. Jerry Buss

Picked these up last week on ebay. Beefing up the football component some. I’ve already got a Marcus Allen, but I thought this one was a fair price so I bought another.

1968 Topps Bob Griese PSA/DNA slabbed

1983 Topps Marcus Allen PSA/DNA slabbed

1984 Topps Roger Craig PSA/DNA slabbed

This guy wasn't a HOF'er in either sport, but he was gritty and fun to watch in basketball. Part of some of the outstanding Celtics teams. I had heard he wouldn't sign baseball cards, but one of my friends was going to have the opportunity to meet him, and I had to at least try anyway. My friend said he was surly, but he signed them both nicely. (Thanks to Bill AKA LSUTigers1973 for giving me the unsigned Ainge baseball card)

1981 Topps Danny Ainge

1986 Fleer Danny Ainge

Got these done from a signing over on SCN. Not a HOF'er, but a good, solid player.

1975 Topps Fred Lynn both mini and regular versions

• GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    He has a nice signature
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Mike ... all the Lynns look nice.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    I usually don't search for these Star Co. Cards as PSA won't recognize them, but I saw this one at a decent price and decided to add it. The Human Highlight Film!

1983-84 Star Co. All Rookies Dominique Wilkins PSA/DNA slabbed

Saw this one on ebay and contacted the seller and we came to an agreement. Great pickup. I like this one so much more than the Scoreboard autographed cards from the same year.

1996 Topps Kobe Bryant PSA/DNA slabbed

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    nice returns

thoses ainges are nice
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, nice. I wouldnt mind trading for your extra Marcus Allen if you're trading one.

I wonder how PSA can authenticate modern player 'scribbles' like Kobe. I think I'll always wonder that.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
    Added another one of this years NBA HOF induction class. This card is actually pretty tough as DJ is deceased. I found a seller on ebay that got a couple signed with a fantastic vintage sig back in the late 70's. I bought them both and will use one as trade bait in the future as a lot of signed rookie collectors are missing this one in their sets since he just got selected for the HOF this year, and I ought to be able to get something pretty nice in return.

1978 Topps Dennis Johnson

and the 2nd one,

1978 Topps Dennis Johnson

• GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Nice DJ auto's, he was a very under appreciated player and well deserved HOF inductee.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    image I am extremely jealous. That card is one I've needed for awhile for my Celtics retired number rookie auto set. Unfortunately, now that he's a HOFer it'll just get more expensive. Well done.
    Added a couple of LPGA HOF'ers in Se Ri Pak and Julie Inkster. A young star in Morgan Pressel, and some eye candy in Natalie Gulbis.

2003 Upper Deck Natalie Gulbis
    2003 Upper Deck Se Ri Pak
    2003 Rookie Review Morgan Pressel
    2003 Upper Deck Julie Inkster

• CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    Mike-Nice job on the LPGA'ers. The LPGA comes to my hometown every year, and I attend some of the events that go on in the city and get to meet the players. LPGAers are some of the nicest athletes you will ever meet. Natalie Gulbis, for as popular as she is, is incredibly nice and accomodating to fans. Same with Christina Kim. I have always been a fan of Paula Creamer, and got to meet her three years ago. She wasnt very friendly at the dinner I was at with her, but very accomodating to everyone who wanted to meet her. My brother in law caddied in a group with Pressel about two years ago. Apparently Morgan was chasing down an athlete's signature herself when she was in elementary school and got blown off. She said that made a lasting impression with her, and will never leave anywhere until everyone who wants a photo or signature has gotten one.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Ha! Love the Juli Inkster autographed card. My cousin was a nanny a couple of years out of high school in Connecticut. She told me that she had an opportunity to apply to be a nanny for a golfer. I told her to jump on the opportunity as I said she would get to travel all over in the nicest places. The golfer was Juli and my cousin held the job for over ten years. Juli basically adopted my cousin as one of her own although she was on the payroll. She has been like family...wonderful sense of humor and a great mom to boot. Great lady.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    beautiful DJ's

here here well over due for HOF
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

I bought this card a couple weeks ago and hadn't gotten around yet to adding it to my thread. I saw the sad news tonight that Mr. Harwell passed away and it jogged my memory to add it here. Harwell was a winner of the Ford Frick Award from the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Here's a snippet from a Detroit Free Press article released tonight:

"Harwell had one of the longest runs by a broadcaster with one major league club, calling Tigers games for 42 seasons. For the first 32 of those seasons, he made and cemented his legacy by doing play-by-play on the radio. His Southern voice — rich and authoritative but not overbearing — became as distinctive to Michigan listeners as baseball itself.

Unlike some announcers in recent decades, Harwell didn't litter his broadcasts with shouting, excessive talking or all-knowing pronouncements about players and managers. Listening to him was as pleasant as being at Tiger Stadium in the summertime. As he fell silent between pitches, listeners got to hear the sounds of the ballpark — the crowd's buzz, the vendor's cry — and absorb the rhythm of the game. Harwell thus became an ideal companion for a listener anywhere: the couch, the yard, the car or the boat.

"He's a master craftsman," former Tigers broadcaster Josh Lewin, now with the Texas Rangers, said in 2002. "He's always kept it simple, which I think is part of his charm and staying power."

In 2005, author and historian Curt Smith ranked Harwell as the third-greatest baseball announcer ever, only placing Harwell behind Dodgers legend Vin Scully and Yankees stalwart Mel Allen. Just behind Harwell were St. Louis' Jack Buck and New York's Red Barber. Smith, a student of baseball broadcasting, had 10 criteria for his rankings, ranging from longevity and acclaim to voice and personality."

1989 Pacific Ernie Harwell

This guy was not a HOF'er, but he was a part of football in the 70's that I'll never forget. Stingley was paralyzed for life after a hit by Jack Tatum in a 1978 game. Card is not in very good shape, but Stingley passed away in 2007 so I went ahead and got this one.

1974 Topps Darryl Stingley PSA/DNA

I"m pretty excited about this one. One of the most dominant forces to ever play the game of basketball. This card has been trimmed at the top, but all in all, it still presents nicely.

1961 Fleer Wilt Chamberlain PSA/DNA

• jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    WOW!! That is the holy grail of basketball autographs!!
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    sweet card Mike and it's a great looking sig!
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Nice!!

• TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Chamberlain! Where did you acquire it?
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, dangit.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

<< <i>Very nice Chamberlain! Where did you acquire it? >>

Thanks for the compliments. I got it from Mill Creek in WA. I've got several things from them in the past and they've got a tremendous selection. Good people to work with too.

Mike
    Congrats on the Wilt!
    Who is Rober Maris?
    Another nice basketball star.

2003-2004 Dwyane Wade Bowman Signs of the Future BGS Graded 9 with a 10 autograph grade

The basketball portion of my set has had some nice additions this past couple weeks. I've already got a Topps Shaq rookie autographed, but I went ahead and got this one as well. One can't have too many Shaq's image One of my friends that used to play basketball told me that the only time he truly felt overwhelmed was guarding Shaq. Said that once Shaq got close, there was nothing you could do, especially in pickup games.

Age has taken it's toll on Shaq, but that's happened to the best of us.

1992 Classic Shaquille O'Neal

Instantly one of my favorites. I like having things that are "different" and not "run of the mill" so I'm pretty stoked about this one. I got it back today from a signing The Big Hurt did last weekend at Triple Threat Sports in Illinois. One of the most famous "error" cards of the 80's/90's era.

1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF (now it has a name image )

• jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    You have had some unbelievable additions to your signed RC collection the last couple of weeks. I see a 911 Turbo in your not so distant future. image
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable the stuff you have, are you looking to sell the collection?
    I bet it'd be a nice retirement fund if you do.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Love it Mike! Congrats on a HUGE addition!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Nice additions Mike. I bet that you have the only signed NNO Frank Thomas in existence!

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

<< <i>Unbelievable the stuff you have, are you looking to sell the collection?
    I bet it'd be a nice retirement fund if you do. >>

Thanks, no, I'm not looking to sell the collection, still having a lot of fun putting it together. JSweiton is right though, one day, I'd love to have one of these:

Porsche 993 Twin Turbo

I've loved Porsches since I was a small boy and saw one pass us on the street. They are truly awesome machines!!!

Mike

<< <i>Nice additions Mike. I bet that you have the only signed NNO Frank Thomas in existence!

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg, surely I'm not the only person off his rocker enough to get a NNOF signed image I'm sure there are a few more nuts out there image
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Very nice addition Mike!

PS: I own a 1997 911 carrera cab that just past the 20,000 mile mark on the odometer. Not turbo, but fun to drive on a warm sunny day!

great pick ups!!!

always fun to check in on this thread and see what you picked up
    Fred

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pickups, Mike...

Wilt, Shaq and Frank Thomas on the No Name, wow!!!

Awesome...imageimageimage

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable, Mike. That Frank Thomas NNOF is insane.

Shane

• hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    great card, I agree you're a little nuts to have it signed, but real unique piece
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    That card is the perfect example to have signed. Condition warranted it I think, and I do believe, in this case, it helped the value of the card.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
    Congrats on the great addition!

<< <i>Instantly one of my favorites. I like having things that are "different" and not "run of the mill" so I'm pretty stoked about this one. I got it back today from a signing The Big Hurt did last weekend at Triple Threat Sports in Illinois. One of the most famous "error" cards of the 80's/90's era.

1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF (now it has a name image )

image >>

Who is Rober Maris?
    Jeremy, nice car!!

Picked this one up last weekend. I believe this is the first speedskater in my collection. Very entertaining guy to watch who has provided my family a lot of entertainment while watching the Olympics together. Even my wife and kids thought this card was neat and that's unusual image

2004 Fans of the Game Apolo Anton Ohno