Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    That MAVEN rocks!!!!

Mickey Rivers ... man, I LOVED it when that guy was in New York. I used to see him all the time at Belmont Racetrack back in the day. Man, that guy, from what I was told, could REALLY send it in!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I'm having a fun weekend bringing back memories for myself, and that's what collecting is all about for me. I used to love to watch The Incredible Hulk with Bixby and Ferrigno. I saw this card on ebay and had to have it. I believe it's the first Hulk trading card issue, and one of Ferrigno's rookies (along with every other Hulk card that year that pictured Hulk in his mad state)

1979 Topps The Incredible Hulk Lou Ferrigno PSA/DNA slabbed

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Love the Hulk image
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    GREAT ADDITION!!!!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Very Cool Hulk auto!!
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Mike, Your collection is beyond incredible. I especially like your latest MAVEN card and the pics of Mickey Rivers at the signing...Those pics are a classic. Thanks for sharing.

brian

• << <i>This guy is not a HOF'er, but he was one of the guys I used to love to watch growing up. I remember being excited when he was traded to the Rangers in 1979. Dad took me out to Arlington Stadium to watch him play. Great fun!! Mickey held the Rangers single season hits record until Michael Young several years back. There was a private signing over on SCN so I sent my Rivers rookie in and had it signed. Here's some photos from the signing that the organizer took. Classic Mickey Rivers. >>

I guess we can look forward to Rivers event used PJ's cards in then near future.
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    LINK

Found this on ebay, thought you might be interested?
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
    tsalem, thanks for the link, too bad i just checked it about 10 minutes too late, I would have probably bought that Heston.

Mike
  • Mike,

The hulk is awesome! My favorite show at the time. You don't want to see me angry.
    Added another great card that I bought from Wrestlingcardking. Here's a brief from Wikipedia on Cael. Cael Steven Sanderson (born June 20, 1979, in Salt Lake City, Utah), (pronounced "kale") is considered one of the greatest American amateur wrestlers of all time. He is the current head wrestling coach at Penn State University. A 2004 Olympic champion in Athens, Greece, he went undefeated in four years of college wrestling at Iowa State University (159–0), winning four consecutive NCAA titles (1999–2002). He was the first NCAA wrestler to go undefeated with more than 100 wins. Sports Illustrated named his college career as the second most impressive college sports feat behind the setting of four world records by Jesse Owens in a single hour at the 1935 Big Ten track and field conference championship meet

2007 Topps Allen & Ginter Cael Sanderson graded PSA 10

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for the writeup Mike.

Beautiful card - I remember seeing this guy wrestle - he's relentless!

Pristine.
    Mike
  • mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Mike

Great looking card. I was most impressed by this in your post though "setting of four world records by Jesse Owens in a single hour at the 1935 Big Ten track and field conference championship meet" Incredible. Thanks again for sharing.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Any Interest in these signed Rcs of Lacrosse Great Paul Gait?
    Rock City Chris,

PM sent.

Mike
    I like adding these guys far more than the sportsmen. Norman is in the New Jersey Hall of Fame. Former Commander of US Central Command. Schwarzkopf is credited with bringing the ground war to a quick close during Operation Desert Storm

1991 Topps Desert Storm General Norman Schwarzkopf

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    very cool.. the jenna and saddam are the best..
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    A great addition. Not everyday do I get a chance to add a King. Here's his official biography from Jordan's website:

His Majesty King Hussein bin Talal, the father of modern Jordan, will always be remembered as a leader who guided his country through strife and turmoil to become an oasis of peace, stability and moderation in the Middle East. Among Jordanians, his memory is cherished as the inspiration for Jordan's climate of openness, tolerance and compassion. Known to his people as Al-Malik Al-Insan ("The Humane King"), King Hussein established a legacy which promises to guide Jordan for many years to come.

At the time of his passing on February 7, 1999, His Majesty was the longest serving executive head of state in the world. Of great significance to Muslims throughout the world, the late King Hussein was also the forty-second generation direct descendant of the Prophet Muhammad.

He was born in Amman on November 14, 1935, to Prince Talal bin Abdullah and Princess Zein al-Sharaf bint Jamil. King Hussein is survived by two brothers, Prince Muhammad and Prince El Hassan, and one sister, Princess Basma. After completing his elementary education in Amman, His Majesty attended Victoria College in Alexandria, Egypt, and Harrow School in England. He later received his military education at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in England.

Early in young Hussein’s life, and on July 20, 1951, his grandfather King Abdullah was martyred at al-Aqsa mosque in al-Quds (Jerusalem). Hussein was there, with his grandfather, as they went regularly to perform Friday prayers. A medal King Abdullah had recently given the young Prince Hussein, and which he wore after his grandfather’s insistence, saved Hussein from the assassin’s bullet.

On September 6, 1951, King Abdullah’s eldest son, King Talal, assumed the throne. He was soon followed by his eldest son, Hussein, who was proclaimed King of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan on August 11, 1952. A Regency Council was appointed until King Hussein’s formal accession to the throne on May 2, 1953, when he assumed his constitutional powers after reaching the age of eighteen, according to the Islamic calendar.

Throughout his long and eventful reign, King Hussein worked hard at building his country and raising the living standard of each and every Jordanian. Early on, King Hussein concentrated on building an economic and industrial infrastructure that would compliment and enhance the advances he wanted to achieve in the quality of life of his people. During the 1960s, Jordan’s main industries -including phosphate, potash and cement- were developed, and a network of highways was built throughout the kingdom.

On the human level, the numbers speak for King Hussein’s achievements. While in 1950, water, sanitation and electricity were available to only 10% of Jordanians, today these reach 99% of the population. In 1960 only 33% of Jordanians were literate, while by 1996, this number had climbed to 85.5%. In 1961, the average Jordanian received a daily intake of 2198 calories, and by 1992, this figure had increased by 37.5% to reach 3022 calories. UNICEF statistics show that between 1981 and 1991, Jordan achieved the world’s fastest annual rate of decline in infant mortality -from 70 deaths per 1000 births in 1981 to 37 per 1000 in 1991, a fall of over 47%. King Hussein always believed that Jordan’s people are its biggest asset, and throughout his reign he encouraged all -including the less fortunate, the disabled and the orphaned- to achieve more for themselves and their country.

King Hussein also struggled throughout his 47-year reign to promote peace in the Middle East. After the 1967 Arab-Israeli war, he was instrumental in drafting UNSC Resolution 242, which calls on Israel to withdraw from all the Arab lands it occupied in the 1967 war in exchange for peace. This resolution has served as the benchmark for all subsequent peace negotiations. In 1991, King Hussein played a pivotal role in convening the Madrid Peace Conference, and providing an "umbrella" for Palestinians to negotiate their future as part of a joint Jordanian-Palestinian delegation. The 1994 Peace Treaty between Jordan and Israel is a major step toward achieving a just, comprehensive and lasting peace in the Middle East.

While working towards Arab-Israeli peace, King Hussein also worked to resolve disputes between Arab states. During the 1990-91 Gulf Crisis, he exerted vigorous efforts to peacefully effect an Iraqi withdrawal and restore the sovereignty of Kuwait.

King Hussein always persevered in his pursuit of genuine Arab reconciliation, wherever a conflict arose between neighbors or within a country, such as his mediation in the Yemeni civil war. Furthermore, in almost every speech or forum His Majesty called for international humanitarian aid to relieve the people of Iraq from their daily suffering.

King Hussein’s commitment to democracy, civil liberties and human rights has helped pave the way in making Jordan a model state for the region. The kingdom is internationally recognized as having the most exemplary human rights record in the Middle East, while recent reforms have allowed Jordan to resume its irreversible drive to democratization. In 1990 King Hussein appointed a royal commission representing the entire spectrum of Jordanian political thought to draft a national charter. Today the National Charter, along with the Jordanian Constitution, serves as a guideline for democratic institutionalization and political pluralism in the country. In 1989, 1993 and 1997, Jordan held parliamentary elections which were accredited internationally as among the freest and fairest ever held in the Middle East.

King Hussein married Queen Noor on June 15, 1978. They have two sons -Hamzah and Hashem- and two daughters -Iman and Raiyah. His Majesty is also survived by three sons -Abdullah, Faisal and Ali- and five daughters -Alia, Zein, Aisha, Haya and Abeer- from three previous marriages. Toward the end of his life, King Hussein became the proud grandfather of a growing number of grandchildren.

HRH Prince Muhammad, the Personal Representative of His Majesty, has two sons: Talal and Ghazi. HRH Prince El Hassan has four children: Rahma, Sumayya, Badiya and Rashid, as well as three grandchildren. HRH Princess Basma has four children: Farah, Ghazi, Sa’ad, and Zein.

The life of His Majesty has been the subject of numerous books. He himself was the author of three books: Uneasy Lies the Head (1962), about his childhood and early years as king, My War With Israel (1969), and Mon Métier de Roi.

Over the course of his life, His Majesty King Hussein was an avid sportsman. He was an accomplished aviator, motorcyclist and race-car driver who also enjoyed water sports, skiing and tennis. He was well-known to ham radio operators throughout the world as the friendly voice of "JY1". In his final years, King Hussein enjoyed surfing the Worldwide Web and developed a strong appreciation for the power of the Internet as a force for progress and understanding. King Hussein's directive to provide Internet access for every Jordanian school highlights yet another aspect of his enduring legacy.

1991 Pro Set Desert Storm King Hussein of Jordan

Got a great one to add. Wikipedia sometimes does a much better job of telling about these people then I can so:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richard Neale "Tuff" Hedeman (b. 2 March 1963, El Paso, Texas) is a retired 3 time PRCA World Champion bull rider, as well as the 1995 PBR World Champion, and is the current president of the CBR.[1] He was also the president of the PBR until leaving to go to the CBR, and is also known for having been one of Lane Frost's closest friends.

Professional career
    Hedeman won many junior rodeos growing up. In 1980 he won the New Mexico High School rodeo bull riding and All Around titles. He won the Team roping title and All around again in 1981. After high school he attended Sul Ross State University. At Sul Ross he was a member of the rodeo team, competing in bronc riding, team roping, steer wrestling, and of course bull riding.

Hedeman filled his PRCA permit at one rodeo in 1983 as a bronc rider. Tuff was known for riding bulls that often were not rode, with an all or nothing style that amazed rodeo fans. He often traveled with fellow bull riders and close friends Lane Frost, Cody Lambert, Jim Sharp, Clint Branger, and Ty Murray to save travel expenses. He married Tracy Stepp in May 1986. He would go on to qualify for 11 NFRs. By 1993 he had surpassed $1,000,000 in career earnings, and won the 1986, 1989, and 1991 world titles in the PRCA. A neck injury at the National Finals Rodeo in 1993 kept Hedeman out of the arena for the entire year of 1994. In 1994 he was portrayed by Stephen Baldwin in the film "8 Seconds" about the life of his friend Lane Frost. He was actually a stunt double for the man portraying himself.

Hedeman was instrumental in starting the Professional Bull Riders, or PBR. In 1995, he won the PBR world Championship despite his horrific encounter with Bodacious the bull (see paragraph below). Hedeman just missed winning the PBR World Title in 1996, coming in 2nd place that year. He finished 3rd in the world during the 1997 PBR season. His last ride was at the PBR event in Odessa, Texas in 1998, when he landed on his head after getting thrown off and herniated a disc in his previously injured neck. After some consideration, Hedeman retired in 1999. He was leading the PBR World Standings in 1998 at the time of his injury.

Hedeman is one of only seven riders to have ever ridden the great bull, Bodacious, with the stand-out ride being a 95-point ride at a 1993 BRO (Bull Riders Only) event in Long Beach, California. However, his more familiar encounter with the bull happened in the short-go of the 1995 PBR World Finals in Las Vegas. He was jerked down by the bull upon exiting the chutes and struck his face on the bull's head, shattering every major bone in his face. To the crowd's astonishment, he managed to walk out of the arena, albeit a bloody mess. He required several hours of reconstructive surgery for his face, and less than two months later, he was riding again. At the National Finals Rodeo (NFR) later that year, Hedeman ended up drawing Bodacious again, this time in round 7 of the NFR. Hedeman decided to turn out the bull - getting off the bull when he left the chute. He then tipped his hat to the bull, and he received a standing ovation for his decision.

End of career, retirement and after
    He is now the current president of the Championship Bull Riders after abruptly leaving the PBR in 2004 for undisclosed reasons (Ty Murray has since replaced Tuff as the PBR's president under much controversy ending their longtime friendship). Tuff, Tracy, and their 2 boys, one which he named Lane after Lane Frost, now live on a ranch near Morgan Mill, Texas. He also adds color commentary on TV to many rodeo broadcasts. He spends his free time traveling to bull ridings, and team roping. It was announced that in April 2010 he will be inducted into the Texas Rodeo Cowboy Hall of Fame.

1995 High Gear PBR Tuff Hedeman

• fantastic cards. I'll keep an eye out for other cards that you may interested in.
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Mike, you are out of control on this project haha. It never surprises me what you find.

<< <i>Got a great one to add.
    Richard Neale "Tuff" Hedeman (b. 2 March 1963, El Paso, Texas) is a retired 3 time PRCA World Champion bull rider, as well as the 1995 PBR World Champion, and is the current president of the CBR.[1] He was also the president of the PBR until leaving to go to the CBR, and is also known for having been one of Lane Frost's closest friends. >>

Hey Mike ... what's the matter ... a REX REXRODE signed rookie card would not have been good enough????? LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Back to the basics. This guy played his entire career with one team, and that's quite a feat in my mind. He was a 7 time All Star and 4 time gold glove winner. He is also a member of the 3,000 hit club.

1988 Score Traded Craig Biggio

• also a future HOF'er. image
    This card is pretty cool. It's a custom card that was created by Doran (HeritageAddict). Doran gave me two unsigned copies. I sent them, along with a note on my shamrock stationary to Larry Platt, the Civil Rights warrior that performed Pants on the Ground at American Idol auditions. I asked Larry to keep one card and to please autograph and return the other. Very cool as he even wrote me a short reply on the back of a shamrock napkin:

2010 Custom Card General Larry Platt image

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This card is pretty cool. It's a custom card that was created by Doran (HeritageAddict). Doran gave me two unsigned copies. I sent them, along with a note on my shamrock stationary to Larry Platt, the Civil Rights warrior that performed Pants on the Ground at American Idol auditions. I asked Larry to keep one card and to please autograph and return the other. Very cool as he even wrote me a short reply on the back of a shamrock napkin:

2010 Custom Card General Larry Platt image

image >>

Nice Mike.....looks like you are starting a "15 minutes of Fame" club
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    Picked up a nice one for my UFC component of my collection. This guy was a beast. Spent years at UFC, went to the WWE, then back to UFC. UFC HOF'er.

1998 Comic Images WWE Ken Shamrock

picture from day it was signed:

This gentleman is the only HOF umpire to have been a player as well. I saw this card on another forum and snapped it up. Conlan was a willing signer, but he passed away in 1989. I am pretty stoked to add this one.

1955 Bowman Jocko Conlan already PSA/DNA slabbed

• Love the umpire cards! Great addition.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    nice jocko!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Mike,
    Glad I could help with the Conlan.

Tim

<< <i>Mike,
    Glad I could help with the Conlan.

Tim >>

Thanks Tiim, I really like the look of the card with the wood grain TV border. Pretty neat.

Mike
    Added a VERY tough signer. Was signed this past weekend at a show and returned to me today. Pete was a Cy Young winner, but amongst autograph collectors is probably more known for being a tough signer. Not nearly as tough as Dr. Mike Marshall or some of the players that live out of the country, but very tough nonetheless. I wanted him to inscribe it "I hate signing autographs! Pete Vuckovich" but of course he wouldn't do that. I had to settle for a Clu Haywood inscription (Clu Haywood was the character he played in the movie Major League)

The unsigned card was courtesy of board member cougar701 Thanks Adam!!

1977 Topps Pete Vuckovich

• << <i>This gentleman is the only HOF umpire to have been a player as well. I saw this card on another forum and snapped it up. Conlan was a willing signer, but he passed away in 1989. I am pretty stoked to add this one.

1955 Bowman Jocko Conlan already PSA/DNA slabbed

image >>

That's a great looking card. Love the 55 umpires.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mike

Superb!!!

Special on my list: Biggio and Stormin Norman!!!!

Thanx for sharing - as always, a winner of a thread - I admire your TTM immensely!

Please keep'em comin.
    Mike
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>(Clu Haywood was the character he played in the movie Major League) >>

In a movie filled with great lines, "How's your wife and my kid?" is one of the best.
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    For a while, Marshall and Vuke were equally tough. Then Marshall started signing a bit more, so Vuke became tougher to find. Now that Vuke is signing a bit more, they are probably back to being tied. Nice pickup nonetheless!
    Who is Rober Maris?
    Added a great card at one of the lowest prices of any of mine to date. Pete is a PBA HOF'er, and is one of the more colorful bowlers.

1990 Kingpins Bowlling PBA Pete Weber

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    PDW!!!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

<< <i>Added a great card at one of the lowest prices of any of mine to date. Pete is a PBA HOF'er, and is one of the more colorful bowlers.
    1990 Kingpins Bowlling PBA Pete Weber
    image >>

Back in the late 70s and early 80s we also called him the "MEDICINE MAN"
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Picked up a nice one today. This guy ran behind some of the most talented lines in the history of the NFL.

1990 Pro Set Emmitt Smith

My friend out in CA got this card signed for me at this casino appearance last week:

Card was a PSA 8 0/C that I cracked out and shipped to him to have it signed. Turned out real nice.

1961 Fleer Elgin Baylor

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, check my signed RC thread, let me know if you wanna trade collections.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
    Mike,

THAT is a nice looking card!

ENJOY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Leave it to Beaver was one of my favorite shows growing up. My LA autograph friend that gets me stuff, was able to get this one signed for me last week in LA. Very cool.

1983 Pacific Leave it to Beaver autographed by "Beaver" AKA Jerry Mathers

Mike DA BEAVE was a lot of fun to watch when I was a kid!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Got a chance to pick up 19 PBA Bowling HOF’ers at once. These cards were issued in 1990 as the Kingpins first issue. As such, most of them are rookie cards as very few bowling sets have been issued. (There are 20 cards pictured, but Bob Handley is NOT a HOF, he was a throw in on the deal)

1990 Kingpins

Don McCune
    Larry Laub
    George Pappas
    Amleto Monacelli
    Carmen Salvino
    Ernie Schlegel
    Mark Williams
    Dave Souter
    Teata Semiz
    Pete Weber (I now have 2)
    Johnny Petraglia
    David Ferrard
    David Husted
    Steve Cook
    Mike Durbin
    Del Ballard, Jr.
    Parker Bohn, III
    Tom Baker
    Mike Aulby

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Who has the better hair: Pete Weber or Mark Williams? Also, it says official Topps HOF rookie set. Are there any Topps bowling cards?

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Schlegel, Soutar, Semiz and Petraglia were in the 1972 PBA 50 card set.
  • True collector, nice adds image