Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    KILLER Woods card, add that to the cornerstone section of your collection, I would get it slabbed. If you paid under $1k for that you did well!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME TIGER auto card Mike ... now if you could get another with his wife smacking him in the face with a nine iron ... THAT would be unique!!!! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Added a nice baseball HOF'er last night.

1933 Goudey Gum Rick Ferrell

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Added a nice baseball HOF'er last night.

1933 Goudey Gum Rick Ferrell

image >>

Wow, I need that one for an All Time Red Sox set. nice job!
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭
    You are definitely on the express train!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
    Got this one back in October, but wanted to make sure it was good before I posted it. Pound for pound, this guy was one of the best fighters in the world

It "popped" today as part of my group sub:

MINT 9 1991 KAYO 216 JULIO CESAR CHAVEZ PSA/DNA CERTIFIED

Got a nice one back today TTM. The card itself is a blazer in all aspects with the exception of centering. The autograph looks much better to the naked eye then it does in scans. For some reason, I've never been able to scan the silver sigs well. This guy was a cornerstone of the Celtics success in the 80's.

1977 Topps Robert Parish

This guy isn't a HOF'er, but he had a terrific career and was a class guy to me. 6 x All Star, NL MVP winner, and a pivotal member of the first Texas Rangers team to go to the playoffs. In his first year with the Rangers (1994), I was getting a team signed bat, and he was one of only two that I wasn't able to obtain his autograph the whole year, despite the fact that he would say hi and acknowledge me. I had to send my bat to a show and pay big $$$ (at that time) to get his sig on my bat. However, in 1995, I met him at a banquet, and asked him why he turned me down all those times in 1994. He said that I was there at the park "all the time" collecting autographs, and he assumed I was dealing. I explained to him that I got one team signed item every year, no extras, and if he was observant, he would see that I only carried one thing to get signed. From that point, he became an autograph ally for me. He would always sign my item the first homestand of the year, would exchange pleasantries, would sometimes stop to talk baseball on the drive in (I hung out by the tunnel where they would drive in), and most importantly, during the last month of the seasons, he would ask me who all I still needed on my item, and he would go up to them in batting practice and point over to where I was and would send them over to sign my item. There were so many times that I was the only one that would get that particular player that day thanks to Will. A class guy, an above average ballplayer, and a fine addition to my signed rookie card collection:

1986 Topps Traded Will "The Thrill" Clark

Mike,

Two nice additions! Keep it up.

How long did the Clark take to get back?

I mailed mine to him on August 22.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Neat story about Will Clark.

IMO this has been the PSA Thread of the Year (if we had such a designation). Anyway, great stuff Mike. Enjoy looking at your new additions and appreciate the time you take to post pics, discuss anecdotal info, etc.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I played poker a few times with Will Clark's brother, Scott, during my freshman year at Mississippi State.

The end.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I played poker a few times with Will Clark's brother, Scott, during my freshman year at Mississippi State.

The end. >>

Scott's a great guy. I had some dealings with him in the investment business several years ago. I was just joking with him one day and asked him, "Are you any relation to Will?". He said that Will was his brother. I thought he was yanking my chain until he told me to look in the Sports Illustrated with Will on the cover ( I had a copy from the late 80s) and he told me what page a picture of him and Will was on. I couldn't believe it! He was a great guy and actually had me send him the SI and an 8x10 I had and he had Will sign them both. Also included another 5x7 that I didn't send that was autographed. Will and Scott are both great guys in my book.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
    Added a great card. Sir Charles is relatively tough on cards. The sig on this one matches the one on my 86 Fleer Barkley that's already PSA/DNA slabbed, so I'm confident of the authenticity on this one. While the 1986 Fleer Barkley is widely considered his "rookie card", he did have a couple of earlier Star issues, in 1984 and 1985. They don't come up autographed very often so I picked this one up. Outstanding card.

1985 Star Company The Round Mound of Rebound Sir Charles Barkley

Mike ... another great pickup.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Special thanks and a public thank you to SDSPORTSFAN as he gave me an unsigned PSA 8 Bill Walton rookie that I was able to get signed by Walton with the help of another friend. Thanks Steve!!

This was signed at an Upper Deck retail signing this past Saturday and is Upper Deck Authenticated. Got it inscribed as you see below.

As an interesting footnote, according to someone on wikipedia, Walton had a personal winning streak that lasted almost five years, in which Walton's high school, UCLA freshman (freshmen were ineligible for the varsity at that time), and UCLA varsity teams did not lose a game from the middle of his junior year of high school to the middle of his senior year in college. (I wouldn't be posting this tidbit about Walton, except for the fact that his streak was broken by none other than the Notre Dame Fighting Irish image )

1974 Topps Bill Walton

• Very nice! I did mail order for the same signing, how did you get your back so quickly?

<< <i>Special thanks and a public thank you to SDSPORTSFAN as he gave me an unsigned PSA 8 Bill Walton rookie that I was able to get signed by Walton with the help of another friend. Thanks Steve!!

This was signed at an Upper Deck retail signing this past Saturday and is Upper Deck Authenticated. Got it inscribed as you see below.

As an interesting footnote, according to someone on wikipedia, Walton had a personal winning streak that lasted almost five years, in which Walton's high school, UCLA freshman (freshmen were ineligible for the varsity at that time), and UCLA varsity teams did not lose a game from the middle of his junior year of high school to the middle of his senior year in college. (I wouldn't be posting this tidbit about Walton, except for the fact that his streak was broken by none other than the Notre Dame Fighting Irish image )

1974 Topps Bill Walton

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I live like 45 miles from where the signing took place and I haven't received mine either. They must have staggered the shipping.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great autograph on that Walton Mike image

You're probably lucky no one told him it was for an Irish fan...from what I've heard, he still hates Notre Dame to this day for breaking the Bruins' winning streak!!!!! image

His high school in San Diego, Helix High, was my school's (Santana High) arch rival in basketball. They nearly always beat us in the playoffs, until 1976-77 when we beat them 54-42 to win the San Diego section of the State Championship. 1976 just happened to be my freshman year image (No, I wasn't a player image )

Steve

<< <i>Very nice! I did mail order for the same signing, how did you get your back so quickly?

>>

It's not here yet, my friend that got it signed for me sent me a scan.

Mike
    I already have the Saddam Hussein and the George H. W. Bush from this set, so I decided to add this one as well.

1991 Pro Set Desert Storm Baroness Margaret Thatcher

Got the Bush and Hussein back from PSA/DNA the other day as well. I'm going to have to buy the whole Pro Set set and see who all is still available to sign.

• ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Those Desert Storm cards look great signed. Very cool!
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    sweet cards. i thought the saddam card was a custom made auto cut card? PSA graded that like a regular card?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>i thought the saddam card was a custom made auto cut card? PSA graded that like a regular card? >>

Yeah, that was a massive miss on PSA's part. Oops!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

<< <i>sweet cards. i thought the saddam card was a custom made auto cut card? PSA graded that like a regular card? >>

Yep, it's a custom cut. I originally sent it in for the "blue slab" but we had a friendly disagreement over the declared value, so I worked out a deal with them to slab it with my group bulk sub that consisted of 377 autographed cards. I thought it would come back blue like the custom cuts usually do, but they used the red flip instead. Doesn't really matter to me, I just wanted it in a slab.

Mike
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got the Bush and Hussein back from PSA/DNA the other day as well. I'm going to have to buy the whole Pro Set set and see who all is still available to sign. >>

I've got some unopened boxes, I'll send ya one image

PM me
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    thats great.. for somereason.. i like the red flips much more. how much is it worth anyway? and how the heck did you get it
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    I'm still in Orlando counting down the hours until I get to start the drive home to Texas. I've had a blast here with my family but after 7 days of Disney, I've had enough of the Mouse and want to get back to the Tex Mex food I'm accustomed to. Leaving in the morning to drive back home. Thought it would be a good time to post this one that I picked up right before I left for Orlando. NFL HOF'er, and a guy who helped mold the Dallas Cowboys into "America's Team". Plus, he brought forth the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders as well image

1991 Pro Set Tex Schramm PSA/DNA slabbed

Got an awesome gift from board member Greg M.

This guy was in the top 20 football players of all time when Sporting News released their picks in 1999. The highest rated defensive back of their top 100 list.

From wikipedia : "In 1969, Lane was named the best cornerback of the first fifty years of professional football, then enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1974. In his 14 NFL seasons, Lane recorded 68 interceptions, 1,207 interception return yards, five touchdowns, 11 fumble recoveries, 57 fumble return yards, one touchdown, eight receptions, 253 receiving yards, one touchdown reception, and four punt returns for 14 yards."

1957 Topps Dick "Night Train" Lane

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

It was the least I could do considering how much time you spent providing address for former ND football player for my 1990 Notre Dame set TTM project!

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    Also added this one TTM. Member of the college football HOF. Great guy, funny speaker, quality man.

1988 Notre Dame Lou Holtz

This is a picture from my younger and skinnier days, 1989 (academic scholarship, not athletics, I wasn't talented enough for that). He was a great guy and during my four years at ND, he was frequently interacting with the community and students. He'd always work really late and his office was at our rec center, so we'd pass him a lot walking and he'd always say "Hello" or you could ask about the team and he would take the time to respond. When football tickets would go on sale, people would camp out and he'd bring out donuts, snacks, and beverages for us and would take the time to answer questions and to thank you for your support. IMO, he was getting bigger than the University and the administration couldn't accept that.

Mike ... nice autos of coach Holtz ... nice commentary as well. HOWEVER, who is REALLY with COACH HOLTZ in that picture? LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also added this one TTM. Member of the college football HOF. Great guy, funny speaker, quality man.

1988 Notre Dame Lou Holtz

This is a picture from my younger and skinnier days, 1989 (academic scholarship, not athletics, I wasn't talented enough for that). He was a great guy and during my four years at ND, he was frequently interacting with the community and students. He'd always work really late and his office was at our rec center, so we'd pass him a lot walking and he'd always say "Hello" or you could ask about the team and he would take the time to respond. When football tickets would go on sale, people would camp out and he'd bring out donuts, snacks, and beverages for us and would take the time to answer questions and to thank you for your support. IMO, he was getting bigger than the University and the administration couldn't accept that.

image >>

Mike,

Granted that I wore some awful outfits during the 1980's, however that is one of the ugliest shirts that I have ever seen. You look like a film extra from the movie Milk.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

<< <i>
    Mike,

Granted that I wore some awful outfits during the 1980's, however that is one of the ugliest shirts that I have ever seen. You look like a film extra from the movie Milk.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

That was my bad attempt to look "preppy Notre Dame-ish". I was just a country boy from Texas that liked to sport jeans and sweats image

Mike
    No matter what his detractors might say, I happen to like this guy. Professional sports is about entertainment to me, and this guy keeps me entertained when I happen to watch their games.

2001 UD Chad Johnson PSA/DNA AKA Chad Ochocinco

Kickers don't seem to get a whole lot of respect from the HOF, but this guy has been pretty awesome. Made 2 game winning kicks in the Super Bowl, not many people walking the planet can say they've done that (as a matter of fact, I don't think anyone else can say that). Winner of 4 Super Bowl rings.

1997 Pac. Philadelphia Adam Vinatieri already PSA/DNA slabbed

Must be the week for great coaches. First, Coach Holtz, and now Dean Smith. Member of the basketball HOF. Long term dedication to the North Carolina Tar Heels.

1989 North Carolina Dean Smith

Probably my last addition to my thread in 2009 (CST). It's been a nice year for my signed rookie card collection. Can't wait to see what 2010 has in store.

Six time Pro Bowl selection. Got hurt earlier this year though and hasn't played other then briefly in the first game. A modern day Monster of the Midway.

2000 Press Pass Brian Urlacher PSA/DNA

Picked this one up and while doing some research for my thread (if you can call wikipedia research image ) , I found out some interesting stuff about this guy. He was the first African American quarterback for the PAC-10 conference when he played for USC. 8 time pro bowl selection, 3 time NFL champion, 2 time Super Bowl champion, named to the NFL all decade team for the 1960's. He was the first African American professional head football coach in the modern area (1973 Philadelphia Bell of the WFL). Inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1989.

1963 Topps Willie Wood

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, why don't you go after the company certified autos for the newer guys?
    Like, Urlacher's Contenders or SPX.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

<< <i>Mike, why don't you go after the company certified autos for the newer guys?
    Like, Urlacher's Contenders or SPX.
    John >>

John,

Most of the time, I find the non company certified ones to be cheaper and a nicer fit for my collection. I don't really care for what I call "manufactured scarcities" or sticker autographs generally in cards. I'll buy them if they are cheap enough or if there's not another alternative, but for the most part, I just prefer a regular run of the mill card autographed. Plus, I really don't put too much stock into the company certified autos being any more "real" then the non company issued graphs. I've seen the companies that issue autographed cards make so many mistakes that I trust my own eyes and those eyes of people I trust, more than I do companies telling me their own issued cards are real. In most cases, they are just not worth the additional cost premium in my opinion.

Mike
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, I was just gonna say, you can get his certified Press Pass RC auto for $15 or $20, which I'd guess is about what your psa/dna one cost. Maybe I'm crazy but I think that a pack certified RC auto has a 99.9% chance of being legit, a psa/dna card modern player signature, is a crapshoot IMO. A lot of my in person modern player graphs would NOT pass psa/dna, however, a good forger I'm sure could. I think with an hour practice I could nail that Chad Johnson. But his Pacific #'d signed RC is worth $10-15, and you know it's legit.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

<< <i>Mike, I was just gonna say, you can get his certified Press Pass RC auto for $15 or $20, which I'd guess is about what your psa/dna one cost. Maybe I'm crazy but I think that a pack certified RC auto has a 99.9% chance of being legit, a psa/dna card modern player signature, is a crapshoot IMO. A lot of my in person modern player graphs would NOT pass psa/dna, however, a good forger I'm sure could. I think with an hour practice I could nail that Chad Johnson. But his Pacific #'d signed RC is worth $10-15, and you know it's legit.
    John >>

John,

You are 100% correct on the lower priced guys. I was talking more in general about the higher priced "certified" autographed cards. Not so much on the Urlacher, Johnson type players.

Mike
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    The '63 Wood has always been one of my favorite rookies of the Lombardi-era Pack.

Mike, are you sure you didn't go to college with Tiffani Thiessen and have Bob Golic running your dorm? image
    Added an awesome addition earlier tonight.

The following excerpt is borrowed from Gale Learning:

"As the first woman on the Supreme Court, Sandra Day O'Connor has acted much as any conservative male justice might have done. It is difficult to attribute any aspect of her judicial record to her being female. Yet, if she had not been a woman, she probably would not have been appointed to the Court. Her judicial experience simply was not that extensive or outstanding, yet she was undeniably competent, and her appeal was bolstered by political connections and a personal friendship with Justice Rehnquist. Timing was also a factor. The women's movement was prominent enough to make an issue out of the fact that no woman had ever before served on the Court, and Reagan needed a feminist issue in 1980. If her decisions have not always been to the liking of feminists, she has in other ways been an excellent role model for women in general."

1992 Starline Americana Sandra Day O'Connor

I first saw this guy pitch when I was 5 years old on TV if I remember correctly in 1976, and was instantly entertained. Despite wanting to emulate him in "coach pitch" and pee-wee baseball, I did not because my dad would have let me have it for acting like that. I had to buy this one due to Mark's untimely demise. I had planned to send him one TTM, but with my proscrastination, I was too late. Bought this one from board member TSalems1.

1977 Topps Mark "The Bird" Fidrych

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, Nice Bird. I enjoy your thread.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow....NOW THATS A COLLECTION!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
    Made a couple of really nice additions. These two cards were signed at the Haier America booth at the 2010 International Consumer Electronics and Technology show in Las Vegas, Nevada last week. The Worthy was signed on Thursday of last week and the Mullin was signed on Friday. Thanks to board member al032184 for selling me the unsigned cards and more importantly, being able to overnight them so they would be on time for the signing. Previously, these two guys have been very difficult to get on rookies as they typically don't do shows or sign TTM. James Worthy was named one of the NBA's 50 greatest players, and Chris Mullin was a Dream Team player. I'm excited to knock these two guys off of my wantlist.

1986 Fleer Chris Mullin

1986 Fleer James Worthy

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, Those are great looking cards. ( Chris Mullin has a great auto very clean)
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON