Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Sweet Goudey, what a shame!

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    It must be football week for me. I've already got one of these, but if I see signed deceased hof rookies at a good price, I pick them up anyway for future trade value as someone will eventually need it. Mr. Gatski passed away in 2005.

1955 Bowman Frank Gatski PSA/DNA

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    This is the companion for my 91 Pro Set George Bush autographed card. I didn't want the Bush card to get lonely without it's brother.

1991 Pro Set Saddam Hussein custom cut autographed card

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike,

Was that sig taken from the Hussein you were selling a while back?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as always great stuff. Love the Dick Lebeau
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    BPorter,
    Thanks for the compliment,

Doug,

No the Hussein didn't come from that prior card I had and sold, it came from this document:

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    nice additions!!!!

always nice going through this thread
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    A lot of people don't like this guy and probably justifiably so, but he was a lot of fun to watch, and was generally fan friendly when he played here in Texas. Could put on a heck of a batting display as well.

I already have the 86 Donruss rated rookie Canseco, but I went ahead and added these:

1986 Donruss The Rookies
    1986 Topps Traded
    1986 Fleer
    1986 Fleer Update

• Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I remember back in the day when trying to find an authentic Canseco signature was harder than anything. Now they are almost as common as Pete Rose. Congrats on the picking up the "rest of the package" of his cards.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    This must be performance enhancing drug week for my signed rookie card collection. Saw this one on ebay late last night and ran a PSA/DNA Quick Opinion on it. It passed so I used the Buy it Now. I've already got the SP rookie and the Collector's Choice one, but decided I'd like this one too.

1994 Upper Deck Star Rookies Alex Rodriguez

• Options
    Keeping with the week's theme along with the Canseco's and the AROD, I picked this one up as well. I already have his 86 Topps Traded but time to add this one too:

1987 Topps Barry Bonds already JSA authenticated

• Options
    PEDs or not, those are some real nice autos Mike!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the 87 Bonds especially wearing number 7
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Picked up a nice one over on SCN. This guy has thrill rides and video games named after him. Not a whole lot of people can boast of that.

1994 Generation Extreme Tony Hawk

• Options
    It keeps getting more unique ...

Keep'm coming Mikeeeee

inspirational !
  • Options
    Nice Hawk card.

Having grown up using his board, I've always semi wanted a auto of his, mainly to give to my boys as they now know of him. And I thought he was big back then...Congrats to him.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Added the gun slinger from the San Diego Super Chargers (really an annoying song to a Raiders fan growing up)

1975 Topps Dan Fouts

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>Picked up a nice one over on SCN. This guy has thrill rides and video games named after him. Not a whole lot of people can boast of that.

1994 Generation Extreme Tony Hawk

image >>

Mike
    Awsome Hawk card. I broke down an purchased a fans of the game Tony Hawk auto a few years ago. I am suprised more alternative sports do not have trading cards of some sort.
  • Options
    Mark (MeteoriteGuy) sent me this Bob Kuechenberg rookie for my HOF signed rookie card collection. Very cool. Thanks Mark!!! Kuechenberg was a Notre Dame alum as well.

1973 Topps Bob Kuechenberg

Here's his biography from the football HOF website (he's been a finalist, not yet in)

The Philadelphia Eagles originally drafted Bob Kuechenberg in the fourth round of the 1969 National Football League Draft. Cut by the Eagles, Kuechenberg subsequently signed and was almost immediately released by the Atlanta Falcons.

inally, in 1970, after playing seven games – five without pay – with the Chicago Owls of the semi-pro Continental Football League, the former Notre Dame lineman was inked to a free agent contract with the Miami Dolphins. Kuechenberg, who never gave up on his dream of playing in the NFL, was working as a salesman when he signed his Dolphins contract. In true “underdog wins” fashion, Kuechenberg went on to become a mainstay on the Dolphins’ offensive line for 14 seasons. He spent a 15th and final season on the Dolphins injured reserve list.

The Dolphins during Bob’s tenure won seven AFC Eastern Division titles (1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1979, 1981, and 1983), four AFC championships (1971, 1972, 1973, and 1982), and NFL titles in Super Bowls VII and VIII.

A tremendous competitor, the 6-2, 253-pound lineman was named to six Pro Bowls (1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1983, 1984) during his career and by the time of his retirement played in more games (196) than any other player in Dolphins history. Dan Marino has since surpassed that mark. Kuechenberg was also the only player to play in all 19 playoff games in Dolphins history at that time.

A versatile player, Kuechenberg played on both the offensive and defensive lines at Notre Dame. With the Dolphins he also saw duty as a tackle and center. In 1978, he played eight games at guard and seven at the left tackle spot, earning a Pro Bowl berth as a guard and Sporting News All-AFC honors as a tackle. In 1983, he handled snapping chores on field goal attempts. Of 195 regular season and playoff starts, 31 were at the left tackle position.

Durable, Kuechenberg rarely missed a game. A first- or second-team All-Pro choice in 1975, 1977, and 1978, Kuechenberg had consecutive start streaks of 53, 42, and 49 games during his career. In 1973, he sat out the season finale with a fractured forearm, but returned for the playoffs and effectively shutout the Minnesota Vikings Hall of Fame defensive tackle Alan Page in the Dolphins’ Super Bowl VIII victory. An ankle injury caused him to miss the last four games of the 1976 season. In 1977, he suffered a pair of fractures in his back in August, yet managed to return to the starting lineup after missing just two regular season games. However, following a year on the Dolphins injured reserve list in 1984, Kuechenberg, the Dolphins’ “old pro,” announced his retirement from the game.
  • Options
    This young man was the best slugger on the planet at one point. Another person that had a video game named after him. Simply put, a great card.

1991 Ringlords Mike Tyson

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Mike, how'd you acquire the Tyson?

This is probably my favorite thread on these forums. Hopefully Arnold P. gets my son his item back soon so we can show it off.
  • Options
    Mike,

REAL NICE additions this week!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Maybe you should bite part of the top corner off.....I'm just saying. image

Nice card anyway Mike!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    great tyson, now if you could just cut off the bottom right and remove don king, you may still have one of the sluggers around
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Another World Champion Pugilist. I have one signed Lewis card already, but it wasn't a rookie so I got this one as well. I've always loved boxing and even tried my hand at it while at Notre Dame. However, after my one and only real match, I decided I liked to watch it more than I liked to do it. I loved sparring, but in my one match, I got matched up with someone with a much longer reach, and while I packed a decent punch, he wore me out points wise and beat me in the decision, I wasn't technically very skilled image

1991 Kayo Lennox Lewis

• Options
    This card is sharp enough to cut ya image Was a former PSA 9 that I cracked out and sent to Ironmanfan. He got it signed for me through Ironclad Authentics (I chose NOT to get the hologram). Simply gorgeous!

1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken, Jr.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad I could help you Mike....You have a fantastic collection!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Mike,

Very nice looking card of Cal.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Mike, how'd you acquire the Tyson?

This is probably my favorite thread on these forums. Hopefully Arnold P. gets my son his item back soon so we can show it off. >>

Goose3,

I got it from a fellow collector here in Texas.

Mike
  • Options
    Added another super sharp Ripken. Those white specks are on my scanner, not on the card itself. Also signed through Ironmanfan through Ironclad Authentics (again, I chose no hologram). I typically don't collect minor league cards, so this one will probably be for sale at some point. The following writeup is cut and pasted from ripkenintheminors.com

The 1981 TCMA Rochester Red Wings set is the most accessible set of the 4 minor league team sets that contained at least one card of Cal Ripken, Jr. As with the other sets produced in 1981 by the TCMA Company, 3,500 sets were produced. In 1981, most all of these sets were sold through the mail. When you would receive a TCMA set, the set would typically come to you in a team bag, sometimes with a rubber band holding the cards together. The name TCMA stood for the initials of the two men that co-owned the company, Tom Collier and Michael Aronstein. Currently there is no confirmed counterfeit copy of the TCMA Rochester Red Wings Cal Ripken, Jr.

1981 TCMA Rochester Red Wings Cal Ripken, Jr.

• Options
    Love the Ripken stuff! I printed a few custom 1981 TCMA Ripken cards and sent them to Aronstein to get signed. I printed them on a yellow stock. After getting them back I thought it would be neat to have a TCMA signed not only by Cal but the creator of the card. I plan to post the interview with Aronstein before the end of October. I will say, though, that after chatting with him I'm going to say there are more than 3,500 copies of that card out there, possibly way more than 3,500. If/When you decide to move the TCMA let me know!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, those Ripkens are sweet!
  • Options
    This is an interesting card. I saw it on ebay, and while my gut said "it's real", I couldn't decide, so I posted a post on this forum. I finally decided to bid on it before I went to bed last night and I submitted it to PSA/DNA quick opinion, basically in order to reaffirm my thoughts. However, PSA/DNA quick opinion said "Likely Not Genuine". I went ahead and completed the deal after initial hesitation, as I'm going with my gut and the opinions of a couple people that I trust more than PSA/DNA on Pujols. My entire life, I've gone with my gut, and the results have been fine overall so far. I'm going to get it slabbed by JSA though, and get it out of the GAI slab with their reputation. This will be my 3rd Pujols signed rookie, I'd still like to have just the basic plain jane 2001 Topps signed, but so far no luck in that.

2001 Jesus is Enough Albert Pujols already GAI slabbed

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> This will be my 3rd Pujols signed rookie, I'd still like to have just the basic plain jane 2001 Topps signed, but so far no luck in that.
    >>

I am wanting the same card 2001 Topps base card signed by Pujols. I don't think PSA/DNA has ever authenticated one. Not sure about JSA. As for PSA/DNA and Pujols, I am 0 for 4 (3 cards and a baseball). The first one, I was stupid. The last 3, I still think that they are authentic.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>This is an interesting card. I saw it on ebay, and while my gut said "it's real", I couldn't decide, so I posted a post on this forum. I finally decided to bid on it before I went to bed last night and I submitted it to PSA/DNA quick opinion, basically in order to reaffirm my thoughts. However, PSA/DNA quick opinion said "Likely Not Genuine". I went ahead and completed the deal after initial hesitation, as I'm going with my gut and the opinions of a couple people that I trust more than PSA/DNA on Pujols. My entire life, I've gone with my gut, and the results have been fine overall so far. I'm going to get it slabbed by JSA though, and get it out of the GAI slab with their reputation. This will be my 3rd Pujols signed rookie, I'd still like to have just the basic plain jane 2001 Topps signed, but so far no luck in that.

2001 Jesus is Enough Albert Pujols already GAI slabbed

image >>

Hi Mike,

PSA/DNA and JSA failed some Pujols autos that a buddy of mine received in person from Albert at a golf course he frequents. My buddy works there, and I personally witnessed Albert sign 2 of the autographs. After some back and forth, JSA passed them. I just don't think they have anyone at PSA or JSA that are super familiar with Pujols' different variations of his signature throughout the years. That's not knocking either authenticator, as I know both JSA and PSA do a great job overall. They just seem to have problems with Pujols stuff from time to time.

As a fan, and someone who has received my share of Pujols "in-person" signatures from 2001 to present, I have seen a good deal of authentic exemplars, and feel I know his sig as good as anyone. With that being said, I have seen some of those exact cards handed out back around 2001-2002. As a matter of fact, Dee Dee Pujols, Albert's wife, used to carry some of them around with her, and she would hand them out already signed. Of course some were also given out unsigned at various events like Christian Family Day if I remember it correctly.

The Pujols signature on the one you purchased in the GAI slab is hard to see due to the dark background of the card that it was signed over, but I can see certain characteristics in the pen strokes that matches the style he used back around 2001. A better scan will allow me to give my final determination/opinion, if you want it, once you receive the card. Based on what I see so far, I would say it's authentic.
  • Options
    STM,

I'll send you a clearer scan once I get the card in hand.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Options
    This guy was responsible for one of the biggest upsets in history. He took down Tyson, when that was presumably impossible.

1991 Ringlords James "Buster" Douglas

• Options
    Picked up a nice one this morning. Future NBA HOF'er

1994 Classic Jason Kidd

• Options
    Added this one the other day in my Donruss 81 Golf Thread but forgot to add it here since he's a HOF'er. 2009 World Golf HOF member.

1981 Donruss Golf Lanny Wadkins

• Options
    SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST, BUT I WANTED TO PUT THESE IN MY SIGNED ROOKIE CARD THREAD AS WELL.

I had a fun morning for the most part. I went to Plano, TX in hopes of getting some signed Star Wars cards to add to my collection, and my light sabre signed as well. I planned on getting C3PO, Darth Vader and Boba Fett. In order to get C3PO, you had to buy an extra $100 VIP pass or extra $40 Priority pass plus pay his autograph fee. I didn't want to do that, so I hired a nice couple to get my C3PO "Boner" card signed for me, as the husband was getting a poster signed, but the wife didn't have anything to get signed. (more on that later)

On the way in, this thing comes screaming down the road, a pretty awesome Land Speeder:

I then went inside and headed straight to the autograph room to begin the wait in line process. Finally, I get in, and I get this rookie signed as well as my light sabre by Dave Prowse, who played Darth Vader in the series: (the sig doesn't scan well, but it's gorgeous in person, bold, silver)

At this point, I didn't know you could get pictures with them as well, so I headed over to Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett) and got this autographed:

I had seen someone else get a picture with Boba Fett, so I asked for one as well and he was happy to oblidge:

After the picture with Jeremy, I decided I'd like to see if I could get one with Prowse (Vader) as well so I headed back over there. He was really cool about it, and he put me in the Vader choke:

After stammering back to life, I saw Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) across the room. I already have a Chewie signed "Wookie" card, but I wanted to take a picture with him. He was neat as well. Too bad his location was in the sun and caused a glare.

Next, I walked the show for awhile as I was waiting on the couple with C3PO. I saw stormtroopers, Vaders, Chewies, and every character imaginable including a guy with a really sweet Jabba the Hut costume. I also saw a Princess Leia Slave Girl look alike that had an incredible body, a gorgeous face, and was showing more skin then you can see in a strip club (or so I am told image ) I decided not to get a picture with her, so I didn't have to feel the wrath of my beloved later. I then get a call from the couple, they finally made the stage that C3PO was on. 3PO must not do a lot of shows as the demand for him was staggering, and he is the single slowest signer in existence. You could watch but you couldn't take pictures of him (Anthony Daniels) like you could everyone else. Every two or three people, Daniels would get up to get a drink, walk around, go to the bathroom, etc. Finally, my couple goes up to him to get my card signed. He denies the lady that asks him to sign it even though she paid his signing fee (I paid her). He evidently said some deragotary things to her, because she's embarrassed and upset when she comes off the stage. She didn't want to talk about it, and I apologized to her for it as I didn't know he won't sign the "boner" card. Her husband comes over and tells his wife to give me back the card and the money. She doesn't have the money as she got flustered when Daniels went awry on her. The husband says he is going to go get my money back from them, and I ask him to take another different card for me and try that one instead of getting the money back. He goes up the exit ramp, and the handler started yelling for him to stop. I explained to the handler what happened, and she scurries up the ramp to verify that with the husband. They let him get back in front of Daniels, and C3PO signs this one for my collection with me looking on :

I apologized to the couple again for causing embarrasment for the wife. If I had known that was going to happen like that, I would never have gotten her to try and get it signed. I figured he signed those at every show he does, but evidently not.

Nonetheless, a fun way to spend a Saturday morning.

Mike

• Options
    I've been working on this one for about a year now and finally got it finished. Quite simply, one of the greatest autographed basketball cards in existence (at least in my opinion) image The Magic was gotten from a book signing, the Bird from a private signing, and Dr. J from a board meeting.

1980/81 Topps Larry Bird & Julius Erving (Dr. J) & Magic Johnson

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been working on this one for about a year now and finally got it finished. Quite simply, one of the greatest autographed basketball cards in existence (at least in my opinion) image The Magic was gotten from a book signing, the Bird from a private signing, and Dr. J from a board meeting.

1980/81 Topps Larry Bird & Julius Erving (Dr. J) & Magic Johnson

image >>

Mike:

You outdid yourself on that one!

Awesome!!!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Those Ripkens's and the Bird/Magic/Dr J cards are just fantastic. Thats awesome stuff Mike!

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    That is simply awesome. Can I talk you out of it?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Love the Bird/Magic/DrJ card. Can you fill me in on how you got Dr J's auto. I would love to get a Rookie signed but he never seems to do shows or private signings. I sent him TTM awhile back just as an attempt and it never was returned.

J
  • Options

<< <i>That is simply awesome. Can I talk you out of it? >>

Thanks! I don't want to move this one, but I don't mind helping you out on getting one. Bird is doing a signing in November that you could get one started ( I even have an unsigned card that I could sell you), and I can put you in contact with the guy that got Erving for me, although the meeting is only once a year so you'd have to wait for next October. Magic is a willing signer on his book tour, so it's definitely doable. If you want contacts just shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you later tonight when I get home after court.

Mike
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful Bird/Magic/Dr. J.

Anthony Daniels puts on his website that he won't sign the "boner" card. He does a lot to police fakes of his signature, naming on his website ebayers and other dealers who are selling fakes.

David Prowse did the same thing, but that page seems to have disappeared from his site.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Mike,

You continue to amaze. Awesome card!
  • Options
    1000!!!!! image