Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Not a HOF, but the price was right (about $12.00 delivered) so I picked it up tonight. Maybe one day he'll make it in as a manager. If nothing else, he should get into the Hall for some of his ejections! They have to be some of the best of all time. This is an interesting card as it was issued in 1964, however, Piniella later won the rookie of the year in 1969!! 5 years later.

1964 Topps Lou Piniella

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Got a great one back today from the Fans Edge shows by Mounted Memories in Illinois a couple weeks ago. I love this card. I was a huge wrestling fan when I was growing up. Great stuff!!! Signed "Ric Flair, WC (world champion) 16X" Card is from a tough set issued in 1982 that was available both by mail order from a wrestling magazine as well as from various arenas as souvenirs.

WOOOOOOO!!!!

1982 Wrestling All Stars Ric Flair

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Stylin' and profilin'!
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    To be the man you gotta beat the man!
  • Options
    mrmojorisinmrmojorisin Posts: 272 ✭✭
    nice cards! you should pick up Pele's auto. the greatest soccer player ever. my brother met him a few years back and he signed a card for me. goes to the grave with me. LOLOL
  • Options
    Added a neat one today. Also came from the Fans Edge show in IL a couple weeks ago. Such a small card and it came delivered in a HUGE box. Whatever works I guess. Card was a PSA 4 crackout that I sent up to be signed.

1948 Leaf Jake LaMotta

• Options
    Although not a HOF'er, Hondo had some game back in his day. Rookie of the Year, and led the league twice in Home Runs.

1960 Topps Frank Howard

• Options
    mike,

you get the allen?

best regards!
    Buying or trading for these signed Jeter rc's:
    1992 GCL, 93 Stadium Club, 93 Greensboro,, 93 South Atlantic League, 93 Topps Marlins & Rockies,, 94 Classic Tampa, 94 Procards Tampa, 94 Florida State League & 95 Columbus Clippers.

• Options
    MiLS

Not yet but Im sure it will be here soon. Might come later today as mail hasn't run yet.

Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup on the Howard Mike.

He was a darn good player.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Added another non-HOF'er that I don't think gets enough due.

1978 Topps Lance Parrish

• Options

<< <i>Added another non-HOF'er that I don't think gets enough due.

1978 Topps Lance Parrish

image >>

Talk about 4 guys that had damn good careers. Hard enough to find 1/4 on some of those Topps rookies.
  • Options
    Here are a few more I added this weekend. None are HOF'ers, but they should all qualify for the Hall of Good to Very Good image The one thing these guys share is that they entertained me during my youth, therefore I've gotten them for my collection.

1969 Topps Graig Nettles

1975 Topps Keith Hernandez

1970 Topps Bill Buckner

1976 Topps Willie Randolph

1973 Topps Buddy Bell

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    nice additions

great thread!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, great stuff. I love the Jake Lamotta. Sweet looking card and auto.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Another non-HOF'er that had some game. Even to this day, he still has one of the classic looks of all time as well.

1965 Topps Luis Tiant

• Options
    Back to the basics, another HOF. Picked this one up from a fellow board member. Although I live close to and grew up close to Dallas, I couldn't stand the Cowboys, I always loved the Raiders. This guy was awesome.

1983 Topps Marcus Allen

• Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Nice Marcus Allen! image
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    Mike, I know your thing is rookies, but do you have any thoughts about getting Whitt and Murph to add their signatures to the Parrish rookie? Or maybe do another one as a side project? As therebelas pointed out, it's pretty cool when you can get multiple quality players on a mid 70's Topps rookie. I guess the same question applies to the Hernandez-Scrap Iron card, too.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, I know your thing is rookies, but do you have any thoughts about getting Whitt and Murph to add their signatures to the Parrish rookie? Or maybe do another one as a side project? As therebelas pointed out, it's pretty cool when you can get multiple quality players on a mid 70's Topps rookie. I guess the same question applies to the Hernandez-Scrap Iron card, too. >>

GDM67,

I've got a Murphy signed rookie already so I probably won't be adding any to the Parrish unless one of them comes to the DFW area in person. I don't want to lose one that's already signed. I've currently got a Bird/Erving/Magic rookie (rookie for Bird and Magic), that's been signed by Magic, but it's been at a company now for several months waiting to be signed by Bird and I'm beginning to wonder if it's ever coming back. That card might teach me a rough lesson about sending out ones that are already signed. I have toyed with the idea of getting a Ryan and Koosman both signed on a 68 rookie, as they are both pretty easy to get. Molitor and Trammell is another neat rookie from 78 that are both on the same card.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike,
    nice cards, I really like that Tiant! He was the reason I first got into getting rookie autos in the 1st place! About the Bird Auto's, I called the place holding it about a month and half ago and the guy said that Bird should be coming in around the middle of July to sign. I told him I'm in no hurry but if Dr. J happens to have a upcoming signing then I would need them back asap because I want him to sign it also. If I don't hear anything by next week I'll be giving him another call to see whats going on,
    -Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,
    nice cards, I really like that Tiant! He was the reason I first got into getting rookie autos in the 1st place! About the Bird Auto's, I called the place holding it about a month and half ago and the guy said that Bird should be coming in around the middle of July to sign. I told him I'm in no hurry but if Dr. J happens to have a upcoming signing then I would need them back asap because I want him to sign it also. If I don't hear anything by next week I'll be giving him another call to see whats going on,
    -Dan >>

Dan, I emailed him a little over a week ago and here is the response:

RE: Larry Bird signingSunday, July 26, 2009 9:08 AM
    From: "Jeff" <jeff@newenglandpicture.com>Add sender to ContactsTo: "'Mike Navarro'" <navarro@flash.net>They keep telling me soon, I thought it was going to happen last week but
    then agent went on vacation.
    It's killing me because I have already given a bunch of refunds and I have
    200 pieces of raw product I bought to have signed. I just don't understand,
    I have been doing this with NO problems for well over ten years.

I am thinking that they were hoping to have the usual companies participate
    and when no one else but us stepped up they are trying to delay until they
    get more on board. If you want to give me a date I will make sure I get your
    items back?

Jeff Sherman

cell 603.661.0871
    www.newenglandpicture.com
    New England Picture
    491 E Industrial Park Drive - B
    Manchester NH 03109
    fax 603.625.8902 / office 603.625.8901

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 11:32 PM
    To: jeff@newenglandpicture.com
    Subject: Larry Bird signing

Jeff,

Is their a realistic expectation that the Larry Bird signing will take place
    soon? Y'all have one of my Larry Bird/Magic Johnson rookie cards that also
    pictures Julius Erving and it's already been signed by Magic. I sent it to
    y'all a few months ago in anticipation of the Bird signing along with the
    required fee. Julius is doing an appearance where I can get his autograph
    in mid August. What are the chances that y'all are going to have Bird
    autograph and return my card by that time?

Mike Navarro
  • Options
    Thanks Mike,
    PM replied to,

-Dan
  • Options
    Added a couple more Non HOF'ers, although I think that one day Kaat will get in. Mike Scott's split-fingered fastball had a couple of devastating seasons. The Jim Kaat is actually an upgrade for me, as my other Kaat had clipped corners.

1980 Topps Mike Scott
    1960 Topps Jim Kaat

• Options
    I remember that mortally wounded Kaat. Still a cool item, but this is a nice upgrade.

Jim should be in the HOF and Mike should have won a second Cy Young in '89.
  • Options
    Got a neat card on ebay yesterday. I believe it's called a Fax Pax card, and it's an early Lennox card issued in the UK. I think it's a 1993 but not certain. Lewis had some obscure cards issued in 91,92,93. Really not sure what is considered his rookie, but still a neat piece. After watching this guy on The Apprentice, I had a new appreciation for him.

1993 Fax Pax Lennox Lewis PSA/DNA slabbed

• Options
    This must be non-HOF'er week, however, this is part of what makes it fun for me. These guys played the game well during my youth and I admired all these ballplayers. I'd much rather watch these guys any day of the week then the majority of today's so called "stars".

1971 Topps Ken Singleton

1972 Topps Ron Cey

1974 Topps Ken Griffey

1977 Topps Jack Clark & Lee Mazzilli

• Options
    When you get to the pre WWII cards, it's hard to be picky when looking for signed HOF cards that are close to being rookie cards. A lot of the players have strip cards, 4 in 1's, etc., regional issues, etc., that make defining a true rookie card hard to do and it varies depending on how you define it. I got a chance to pick up this signed Travis Jackson , and took the opportunity. This HOF'er passed away in 1987 I believe, right on the cusp before show signings, appearances, etc. became wildly popular and well attended. Therefore, these aren't all that common.

1933 Goudey Travis Jackson

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Love the Lennox Lewis (might go down as the last great heavyweight) and Nature Boy.

I love the fact that you're not just going for HOFers. Ken Singleton is the most underrated player in baseball history. Solid numbers, poked his head into the MVP voting multiple times and was the best hitter and team leader on a World Series team.

• Options
    Added another Pre-WW II HOF'er. Died in 1986. Former Baylor Bear.

1935 Diamond Stars Ted Lyons

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice additions Mike.

Two of the lesser known HOF'ers for me - I know nothing about the guys - just looked them up.

That's what I like about your thread - it keeps me thinking and reviewing these players.

Thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>When you get to the pre WWII cards, it's hard to be picky when looking for signed HOF cards that are close to being rookie cards. A lot of the players have strip cards, 4 in 1's, etc., regional issues, etc., that make defining a true rookie card hard to do and it varies depending on how you define it. I got a chance to pick up this signed Travis Jackson , and took the opportunity. This HOF'er passed away in 1987 I believe, right on the cusp before show signings, appearances, etc. became wildly popular and well attended. Therefore, these aren't all that common.

1933 Goudey Travis Jackson

image >>

Great pick up!

Roughly 4 to 5 years ago I had a signed 1933 Goudey Travis Jackson. I put it on ebay for $9.99 and figured the price would shoot up from there. It didn't. Ended at $9.99. I was ticked.
  • Options
    nice vintage pickups Mike!
    -Dan
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Mike Scott's "split-finger fastball." LOL.

Regardless of how he was doing it (*cough* Gaylord Perry), he was untouchable for a few years there.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options

<< <i>Love the Lennox Lewis (might go down as the last great heavyweight) and Nature Boy.

I love the fact that you're not just going for HOFers. Ken Singleton is the most underrated player in baseball history. Solid numbers, poked his head into the MVP voting multiple times and was the best hitter and team leader on a World Series team. >>

Another old Orioles player that I hope to eventually get is Al Bumbry. Singleton and Bumbry always seemed to do well when I would catch the Orioles on the Saturday game of the week or on Monday night baseball. Good times!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Love the Lennox Lewis (might go down as the last great heavyweight) and Nature Boy.

I love the fact that you're not just going for HOFers. Ken Singleton is the most underrated player in baseball history. Solid numbers, poked his head into the MVP voting multiple times and was the best hitter and team leader on a World Series team. >>

Another old Orioles player that I hope to eventually get is Al Bumbry. Singleton and Bumbry always seemed to do well when I would catch the Orioles on the Saturday game of the week or on Monday night baseball. Good times! >>

You should do the Bumbry RC PLUS it'd dwight evans RC as well. Would be a great multi sig item
  • Options
    You should do the Bumbry RC PLUS it'd dwight evans RC as well. Would be a great multi sig item

Yeah, both Bumbry and Dewey were fun to watch. Bumbry was always signing autos as a player so I'm sure he'd be easy TTM. My brother actually went to his baseball camp as a kid. I was too young to go and was crazy jealous. Another Oriole that shouldn't be tough even though he's deceased is Elrod Hendricks. He was a pretty good catcher and the unofficial ambassador of the Orioles for the past 20 years until he passed a few years ago. He signed a ton of autos for people so I'm sure a RC will pop up at some point. Other Orioles of note off the top of my head- Boog Powell, Cuellar/McNally/Dobson (three of the four 20 game winners in 71 with Palmer), Steve Stone ('80 Cy Young winner whose career ended a year later due to injury), Steve Finley, Ben McDonald (didn't live up to the hype but had a solid career). Sure I'm missing a lot.

You should also get a Glenn Davis signed RC and then burn it and piss on the ashes.
  • Options
    I gotta ask. Why the love for Glenn Davis?
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I gotta ask. Why the love for Glenn Davis? >>

My guess is Lee hasn't forgiven the O's for trading Steve Finley and Curt Schilling for Davis in 1990 or so.
  • Options
    My guess is Lee hasn't forgiven the O's for trading Steve Finley and Curt Schilling for Davis in 1990 or so.

Don't forget Pete Harnisch. So in the end we give up two All Stars and a potential HOFer for a 1st baseman that would put up bad numbers for 2 years then retire. And people wonder why we never win anything. The trade happened in 1991; In 1993 you could've built a team around those 3 guys. At least things have finally turned around- now we are fleecing teams by unloading our overrated veteran players in multiple prospect deals.
  • Options
    Nicknamed "Little Poison", this guy was only 150 lbs., but his game was much larger than that. Passed away in 1982, and inducted into the HOF in 1967.

1939 Play Ball Salesman's Sample Lloyd Waner

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... REAL NICE Waner pickup! ENJOY the card!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike:

I'll be at a charity event run by Bumbry next month if you want to shoot me his rookie to get signed for you......

PM me

Bill
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Bill,

I'll PM you about that Bumbry event. I appreciate it, I'll have to pick up the card first off ebay.

Mike
  • Options
    the "Mechanical Man" . Got this one from the same guy I got the other 3 vintage I've listed the last couple days. Charlie was one of the first HOF'ers that I wrote as a teenager for an autograph and I remember he was quick to respond. Great guy to autograph collectors over the years, and a heckuva ballplayer in his day.

1933 Goudey "Charley" Charlie Gehringer PSA/DNA slabbed

• Options
    Love that card...what a classy autograph
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I really like his signature.

I wouldn't mind snagging one of those for my goudey set.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I gotta ask. Why the love for Glenn Davis? >>

My guess is Lee hasn't forgiven the O's for trading Steve Finley and Curt Schilling for Davis in 1990 or so. >>

i would like that trade to never be mentioned again

thanks

great pre-war stuff!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    I'm beginning to get a nice little subset of Goudey's. I picked this one up from the same board member that supplied me the previous 4 vintage Pre WW II cards that I've recently posted. The last National Leaguer to hit over .400.

1933 Goudey Bill Terry PSA/DNA slabbed