Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Got another nice one TTM today. Personalized to me. Great Indy car champion. This is the 1st standard sized photo trading card of him that I've been able to find. 1983 PPG Al Unser.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I had to google Eddie Gaedel.

Some claim that living down the stunt was difficult for Gaedel. Combative in his private life, he later became a heavy drinker and died of a heart attack after being mugged in Chicago in 1961. He was just 36 years old. The only baseball figure to attend the funeral was Bob Cain, the pitcher who had walked him. Said Cain: "I never even met him, but I felt obligated to go."
  • Options
    Added a couple of golfers today in person at the Byron Nelson Pro-Am. Future Hall of Famer 1990 Pro Set Davis Love III and current Hall of Famer 1992 Pro Set Vijay Singh.

• Options
    Added 3 nice NFL HOF rookies. All 3 are deceased so I was happy to get these:

1989 Score Derrick Thomas
    1963 Topps Ray Nitschke
    1986 Topps Reggie White

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW Mike ... three nice ones there.

After reading what some posters had to say about the Gaedel sigs, I guess they would be REALLY hard to obtain!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    This guy was an entertaining character who had his life ended far short of the average life expectancy. As an occasional wearer of knickers myself on the course, I've been looking for one of these in a reasonable price range and ended up with ths one, already PSA/DNA slabbed. 1990 Pro Set Payne Stewart.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Mike, awesome pickup on the Stewart. I need two legit Stewart golf balls for my collection (one for PGA and another for his 2 US Open wins). That's a fine example of his signature there. Payne's also a golf HOF member so you're ahead there too image. There are a LOT of phony golf balls out there so even when I had the money I was being very patient. Congrats.
  • Options
    Do you believe in miracles?? As a young sportsfan, I was mesmerized by the US Olympic Hockey Team and the pride that was felt because of one hockey tournament. The Miracle on Ice to me goes down as perhaps the greatest moment in sports history. That's a big compliment from a Texan, who really only has a very passing interest in hockey. I remember that game absolutely sending chills down my spine, and watching it with my family all huddled together in our small TV room. We didn't have a lot of money in those days, and I remember the great pride I had when my dad brought me home a "chipped" generic hockey puck a couple weeks later, as a reminder of the time the family shared that night. Great memories.
    Not a hall of famer, but one of the key players on that team, and with the memories he brings, he has earned his slot in my collection. 1983 Topps M&M Olympians Mike Eruzione.

Al Michaels famous call of the moment

• Options
    Very nice Mike ... What a year that was for Kenny Morrow ... A GOLD MEDAL and STANLEY CUP in the same year!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Added another NFL HOF. Purchased from a fellow board member. This guy was once considered the greatest O lineman of all time. 1959 Topps Jim Parker.

• Options
    Picked up a neat one today. From best I can tell in my various searches, this is his first USA released standard sized photo trading card. I found some earlier sportscasters, and some purported earlier foreign releases. In the 1972 Munich Olympics, this guy captured 7 gold medals. A record that would stand for 36 years!!! 1991 Impel Olympics Mark Spitz.

• Options
    Added a nice one today TTM. Fellow Notre Dame graduate, and former Heisman Trophy winner, 1954 Bowman Johnny Lattner.

• Options
    One of my longterm friends that I used to chase autographs with back in the late 80's and who I still stay in touch with today, called me early this AM and told me he was going to get to meet Roger Clemens today at a golf course in the Austin area. He still collects autos and he used to do cards as well, so I asked him if he still had an 84 Fleer Update Clemens and if he would mind getting it signed for my signed rookie card collection. Sure enough, he came through for me. Said Clemens was nice and accomodating. He's getting to meet Tony Dorsett tomorrow and Tim Brown in a couple days, but unfortunately doesn't have rookies of those guys. Nice card and nice autograph. 1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens.

• Options

<< <i>One of my longterm friends that I used to chase autographs with back in the late 80's and who I still stay in touch with today, called me early this AM and told me he was going to get to meet Roger Clemens today at a golf course in the Austin area. He still collects autos and he used to do cards as well, so I asked him if he still had an 84 Fleer Update Clemens and if he would mind getting it signed for my signed rookie card collection. Sure enough, he came through for me. Said Clemens was nice and accomodating. He's getting to meet Tony Dorsett tomorrow and Tim Brown in a couple days, but unfortunately doesn't have rookies of those guys. Nice card and nice autograph. 1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens.

image >>

Hi Mike,

That is a beauty! Congrats!
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭✭
    cool!

Your collection, and this thread, are getting pretty legit Mike!
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Added a couple of decent players. Both these guys played on some sorry teams to start their careers. Irvin's rookie season was 3-13 and 2nd season was 1-15. Aikman took over a 3-13 team and did even worse at 1-15. However, they both turned out to be pretty good, and eventually made the NFL HOF. 1989 Topps Michael Irvin PSA/DNA slabbed, and 1989 Topps Traded Troy Aikman.

• Options
    Mike,

Very nice pickups over the last several days!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I will be seeing when you have a scan of the ric flair card signed. Glad it arrived safely.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I got the opportunity to diversify my collection some more today from a fellow board member. One of only a handful of UFC HOF'ers. 1990 ASU Collegiate Collection Dan "The Beast" Severn.

• Options
    Picked this up from the same board member that I got the Severn from. This man had some of the most entertaining fights in the history of boxing. This is from an Italian sticker company callled Panini. 1967 Panini Joe Frazier.

• Options
    Got a sweet one today TTM. A Notre Dame legend and Heisman Trophy winner. The card is a 1948 Magic Photo which is a small sized in dimension Topps early issue. Terrific little card, I've also got a Bednarik signed from this issue. I sent this to Johnny along with the enclosed letter you see and a pen. He even made comment about the size as he wrote on the letter "Any smaller I wouldn't be able to locate it." and he even returned my pen image In the photos below, I placed it next to a standard sized Mark Spitz autographed card so you could get a feel for the actual size.

1948 Topps Magic Photo Johnny Lujack

• Options
    TexomaTexoma Posts: 179

<< <i>Got a sweet one today TTM. A Notre Dame legend and Heisman Trophy winner. The card is a 1948 Magic Photo which is a small sized in dimension Topps early issue. Terrific little card, I've also got a Bednarik signed from this issue. I sent this to Johnny along with the enclosed letter you see and a pen. He even made comment about the size as he wrote on the letter "Any smaller I wouldn't be able to locate it." and he even returned my pen image In the photos below, I placed it next to a standard sized Mark Spitz autographed card so you could get a feel for the actual size.

1948 Topps Magic Photo Johnny Lujack

image >>

Mike--

VERY cool Lujack and Frazier cards! Quick question if you don't mind--how did you come across those two?? I didn't even know Topps had anything in the 1940s!

Texoma

PS--I think Mr. Lujack is in town this weekend with the former Heisman winners for the Senior Tour! Keep those scans coming--awesome!
  • Options

<< <i>
    VERY cool Lujack and Frazier cards! Quick question if you don't mind--how did you come across those two?? I didn't even know Topps had anything in the 1940s!

Texoma

PS--I think Mr. Lujack is in town this weekend with the former Heisman winners for the Senior Tour! Keep those scans coming--awesome! >>

Hi Texoma,

I knew about the 48 Topps Magic Photos from back in the day when I used to collect Ty Cobb as he has a card in that series, so I bought a Lujack off of ebay with the sole intent of getting it signed. I didn't know about the Panini Frazier until a couple days ago when a board member offered it to me. I believe but I'm not 100% certain, that the magic photos were Topps first efforts that included sports figures. It also included actors/actresses.

Yeah, I think Lujack, Lattner, and Tim Brown are all at that tournament amongst others. The friend that got me the Clemens signed card, got Dorsett at that Heisman tourney as well.

Take care,

Mike
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

I love the Lujack. I just can't bring myself to send such a small card to Bednarik or Lujack. Hell - I could barely sign something that small!

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Got this one from a fellow board member. There were overseas and sportscasters made of him but this is the first officially licensed issue and much tougher to find over the regular Greatest Olympians issue or the M & M's cards from the same year. The Hostess cards were on the boxes of Hostess cakes and were cut out cards and this one still has the lines over all four borders . Patterson was the youngest heavyweight champion of the world until Tyson, former Olympic Champion and fought Muhammad Ali among others, died in 2006.

1983 Hostess Floyd Patterson

• Options
    Got another interesting one. He was the longest serving Republican Speaker of the House of Representatives.

2001 Topps Enduring Freedom Dennis Hastert

(In case you are tempted, I respectfully ask that you please keep the political commentary out of my thread. I work in politics for a living, and the last thing I want to see when I come to my threads is political diatribe.)

• Options
    Added another Reggie Lewis signed rookie, already have the Fleer so added the Hoops. Pretty decent player that had his life and career cut tragically short.

1989 Hoops Reggie Lewis PSA/DNA slabbed

• Options
    Nice additions Mike!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Picked this one up off ebay. Not a HOF, but was very entertaining to watch growing up.

1972 Topps Dave Kingman

• Options
    This one was signed last Friday at Texas Motor Speedway at a "Meet the Driver's" event. The card is from 2005 and I believe was part of a program insert for the 2005 Indy 500. 2005 Indy Car Danica Patrick.

• Options
    My dad used to take me to watch this lady when she played with the Dallas Diamonds at Moody Coliseum in Dallas. She was a lot of fun to watch and really stood out compared to the other players. She was nicknamed "Lady Magic". Austinchau had a nice one of these that I saw in one of his threads, so I picked up the card on ebay for .99 cents and sent it to Nancy here locally. Also found out that she does private basketball instruction for $60 an hour so I might do that just to get a chance to visit and talk with her. Might also be a cool thing to do with my coed peewee basketball team too next season.

1989 Sports Illustrated for Kids Nancy Lieberman-Cline

• Options
    Got one TTM today, took a while (54 days) and doesn't match the PSA/DNA examples over on ebay. Possible secretarial. VitoCo, if you take a look, what do you think? I'm not at all familiar with Irwin or possible signature variants for him.

World Golf Hall of Fame member, 1981 Donruss Golf Hale Irwin.

• Options
    Mike, it's legit. He has 2 signatures. He's signed for me TTM before.
  • Options
    Added one of many New York Yankees Hall of Famers. Had both a great playing career and a great broadcasting career. 7 time World Series champion. Had his number 10 retired by the Yankees.

1948 Bowman Phil Rizzuto already PSA/DNA slabbed.

• Options
    Mike ... real nice sig from THE SCOOTER!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Great job! Your is looking very nice, and only costs you $.99!!! grats!!

<< <i>My dad used to take me to watch this lady when she played with the Dallas Diamonds at Moody Coliseum in Dallas. She was a lot of fun to watch and really stood out compared to the other players. She was nicknamed "Lady Magic". Austinchau had a nice one of these that I saw in one of his threads, so I picked up the card on ebay for .99 cents and sent it to Nancy here locally. Also found out that she does private basketball instruction for $60 an hour so I might do that just to get a chance to visit and talk with her. Might also be a cool thing to do with my coed peewee basketball team too next season.

1989 Sports Illustrated for Kids Nancy Lieberman-Cline

image >>

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • Options
    Added another one TTM today. He even included an extra card.

1964 Philadelphia Willie Davis

• Options
    This guy was always a great signer over the years. Back in the early 80's, he was one of the first players to ever respond to my TTM requests. I wish I had the rookies back then and I could have cleaned up with signed rookies!! 1948 Bowman Enos Slaughter already PSA/DNA slabbed.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Added another Reggie Lewis signed rookie, already have the Fleer so added the Hoops. Pretty decent player that had his life and career cut tragically short.

1989 Hoops Reggie Lewis PSA/DNA slabbed

image >>

mike
    great "POP" lewis

if you want to get rid of the fleer or come across another let me know
    fred
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    This guy got into a lot of trouble, but he was one of my favorite players when I was a teenager.

1983 Topps Traded Darryl Strawberry

• Options
    I got two awesome Jack Nicklaus' back yesterday TTM, I had them both authenticated and slabbed today at BGS in Dallas as JSA was there doing an authentication day as well. This was my third try to get Jack and it finally paid off. The first time, I sent the 81 Donruss c/o of his Golden Bear Enterprises in Florida along with a $25 (if I remember correctly) check and they returned my check uncashed as well as the card. The second time, I sent a $35 check and both cards about six weeks before the Memorial tournament, to the Golf Club there. They forwarded it to Florida, where I got back an autopenned 8 x 10, my cards unsigned, and my check uncashed, with a handwritten note from a staff member saying that they liked to separate autograph requests from charitable donations, and that I"d be welcome to make the donation again if I wanted. That same day, I immediately turned around and mailed the cards without the donation back to the Memorial tournament in OH, as it was only a few days away, with no donation enclosed, and I got my cards back authentically autographed yesterday. Now, I'm going to follow up with a donation to the Ohio State Golf Team in honor of Jack. Here are the cards. A 1971 Barratt rookie card and a 1981 Donruss. These are both duplicates for me, so I'll use them as trade bait for other signed rookies. If you have any trade offers, feel free to send them, but here is a value indicator of what I'd like in return, the Barratt's is relatively pricey as the other one I have, I bought at a Mastro auction in October 2008 for a total of $431.60 and it came with a Tony Jacklin as well.

• Options
    WTG MIKE ... i KNOW WE SPOKE ABOUT THESE SOME TIME AGO!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Well done Mike. I told you Nicklaus was a 50/50 shot! image He's really hit or miss but persistence with him usually pays off. You've got some really nice cards there. I should send one of those 81D's one of these days. Let LSUTigers know you got it. I think he needs one for his 81D auto set.
  • Options
    Added another golfer to the mix.

2002 Upper Deck Phil Mickelson already PSA/DNA slabbed

• Options

<< <i>I should send one of those 81D's one of these days. Let LSUTigers know you got it. I think he needs one for his 81D auto set. >>

Yep, need a 81 D Nicklaus and the stat leader.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet Lefty!!!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    I'm back from LA/Hollywood, and all the Michael Jackson worship out there (it was a little over the top IMO, nonetheless RIP Michael, you were an awesome talent), and have the chance to work on my collection again. Got this one from board member Gregm13.

1983 Topps Mike Singletary

• Options
    Some of you may have seen my thread last week where I was a little concerned that I'd never actually see this card. It was sitting in my mailbox today when I got home from work in none other than a plain white envelope, (was in a cardsaver though with some folded paper for protection, did a good job on the interior) Card arrived in fine shape. Card has already passed PSA/DNA quick opinion. One of the top 5 football players of all time. I'm absolutely stoked over this card. It's beginning to take a little bit to get me excited over a card, but I love this one. Great card at a tremendous price.

1976 Topps Walter Payton

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pickup, Mike!

Shane

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    It amazes me how careless some sellers are, but I'm glad it worked out for the best. Congrats on a classic pickup.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com