Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice story.

I would love to take you in a 3 point contest. image

Shane

• bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great story....but the auto looks fake to me. Looks like there is a break after the "k." >>

LOL

Mike, great story and an awesome card!

brian
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    These were part of the group lot that I bought the Petrovic with. One of them had steroids issues, but if the other two put together a great 2nd half of their careers, then those two might have a chance perhaps.

1993 Bowman Andy Pettitte
    1999 Topps Traded Alfonso Soriano PSA/DNA
    1999 Bowman Matt Holliday PSA/DNA
    1999 Fleer Tradition Alfonso Soriano
    1999 Bowman's Best Matt Holliday

Buying US Presidential autographs

<< <i>Nice story.

I would love to take you in a 3 point contest. image >>

Shane,

If you ever make it down to the DFW metroplex area, I'll be happy to have a 3 point contest with you. I'd be willing to put up a few cards of equal value vs. that uncut 1984 Fleer Update set sheet you have. image I've put on some weight, but I'll take my chances!! I've recently started playing again and still have my shot (No one on one though, my knees won't allow me to be competitive at that anymore)

Mike
    Added another Jordan signed baseball rookie. I was the underbidder on this a while back but the winner was either a deadbeat or I got shilled image Doesn't really matter as I got it for the price I wanted to pay. 1991 Upper Deck Michael Jordan already PSA/DNA slabbed.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    ANOTHER nice card Mike ... Good Luck!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    The recent additions are sweet but nothing beats the 1/1

• MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Mike, If you ever enter another 3point contest I can pass you the ball!!
    When I was young, my family didn't have a whole lot of money, but my dad always made sure that we had food on the table, AND would occasionally take me to a ballgame, because I loved baseball and he had gotten me a radio that I listened to all the Texas Rangers games on. He had to sacrifice a lot for my sisters and I, and when he was able to take me to a game, he would always take me on a "promotion" night, so I'd get some type of free souvenir as well. One of my favorite memories, is my dad taking me to a Rangers game where the chicken was performing as the promotion. We laughed and laughed and laughed together at that game. Great times.

The Chicken has an earlier card that is part of a regional team issued Padres set, however, I believe this card to be his first nationwide "rookie" issue. 1982 Donruss The Chicken.

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Great story, Mike - thanks for sharing a memory of you and your dad.

+1 for chickens who can write
    This guy could hit it a long way. Along with McGwire, provided great entertainment for a few years. Whether they were natural, steroid enhanced, or corked, his at bats were fun to watch. 1990 Leaf Sammy Sosa.

Along with the Sosa, I purchased this one from a fellow board member. I believe this guy is a first ballot HOF'er. Outstanding pitcher, and always seemed to be a commendable person as well. 1987 Donruss Greg Maddux, already PSA/DNA slabbed.

Special thanks to board member Alifaxwa2, Jeffrey sent me this one for my collection. 2004 Sy Berger Topps All-Time Fan Favorites. For those that don't know Mr. Berger, I'll post this short bio from the back of the card:

"Sy Berger, sometimes known as the “Father of Modern Baseball Cards” is synonymous with The Topps Company. The hobby pioneer conjured up the early classic Topps designs, wrote the information on their backs and, in a now humorously infamous incident, captained the dumping of the excess inventory of the subsequently rare 1952 Topps High Series into the Atlantic Ocean. A fixture in Major League clubhouses as a company representative for more than a half-century. Berger is a graduate of Bucknell University and a war veteran."

Tremendous fit for my collection. THANK YOU JEFFREY!!

Added what has been a tough one for me to find. While Lemon died relatively recently in 2000, I've had a surprisingly tough time finding one of these. Got it on ebay auction at about 1/2 of what I expected to have to pay for it so that was a nice added bonus. 1949 Bowman Bob Lemon.

• I saw you won that, man I wish I saw it! I've been searching years for that one and any other 49' Bowman Auto with no luck. The only other Lemon I saw sell was part of a 49' Auto set, nice tough pickup
  • MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Mike! Your collection continues to impress!!
    Mike ... nice pickup!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I hate to say it, but I could bet that is not bob lemons autograph......April Fools! Congrats on the pickup!!!!!
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    You need a photobucket of all of these. Do you have them displayed at home yet? I seriously love this collection.

<< <i>You need a photobucket of all of these. Do you have them displayed at home yet? I seriously love this collection. >>

Thanks Allen, nope not on display at home although I frequently flip through them and enjoy looking at them. I do have a website URL reserved to display them, but I haven't had the opportunity or expertise yet to do that well!!

Mike
    This guy is not quite on the level of some of his brethren in my collection, nevertheless, he's a good player and I got it cheap. 1999 Topps Traded Carl Crawford already PSA/DNA slabbed.

Added a neat card tonight. It's my understanding this guy could play a little bit image 1980-81 Topps Ray Bourque, already passed PSA/DNA quick opinion.

• eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Mike.

Agree with many others that is a great thread.

Is it just HOF rookie autos you collect, and if so, why pick up guys like Holliday, Crawford, etc? Is it simply speculation on your part?

BTW, the Bourque looks 100% authentic to me, for whatever that is worth. A tough one will be the other key rookie from that year (Messier), as I understand he is a VERY reluctant signer.

Did you ever get Lafleur to sign?

Good luck. Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough

<< <i>Mike.

Agree with many others that is a great thread.

Is it just HOF rookie autos you collect, and if so, why pick up guys like Holliday, Crawford, etc? Is it simply speculation on your part?

BTW, the Bourque looks 100% authentic to me, for whatever that is worth. A tough one will be the other key rookie from that year (Messier), as I understand he is a VERY reluctant signer.

Did you ever get Lafleur to sign?

Good luck. Eyebone >>

Thanks Eyebone,

It is primarily HOF rookie autos that I collect, but I get bored kinda easily and when I see signed rookies of above average players like Holliday, Crawford, etc., at a price that is basically the cost of the holdering, then I go ahead and pick them up. I figure that anything can happen to anyone at anytime such as the young kid that died this week from the Angels, and I might as well go ahead and get them when they are available. Plus, some of the players that I pick up that are definitely not hall of famers, I pick them up because of some special memory that I have from my childhood. IE, they may have been the star of a game that my dad took me to or something like that where we shared a great time, IE, the San Diego Chicken, or someone that had athletic skills that I really admired as a teenager, such as Dwight Gooden. or someone that captivated an entire nation for a special season, IE Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, etc.

I would like to get Messier as well. I think I remember him doing a couple Steiner signings but I could be wrong. I haven't gotten LaFleur yet. I sent him a nice rookie card back in February, and while he seems to be a really good TTM signer, I haven't heard anything yet. I had to send it to Canada since he lives there, and I didn't have any Canadian stamps for the return back to me (and remember how I get bored easily, I didn't want to take the time to wait to order Canadian stamps image ) so I simply enclosed some US money in hopes that he'd take care of it for me. I still have faith that I'll get it back eventually. If I don't, he's been signing so long, that I'll just pick up one on the market one day.

I picked up another tough one a short while ago today. I'll be back later tonight or early tomorrow to post it up.

Take care,

Mike
    I was ecstatic to get this one. It's been listed for awhile on ebay with minimum opening bids of way over what I wanted to pay, but I emailed the seller and we came to a mutually agreeable price. While this guy is a fairly common autograph, just finding a 1972 STP card of anyone is tough, much less The King. Perhaps the greatest Nascar driver of all time, The King, 1972 STP Richard Petty, already PSA/DNA slabbed:

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    That is one sweet piece!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

<< <i>I was ecstatic to get this one. It's been listed for awhile on ebay with minimum opening bids of way over what I wanted to pay, but I emailed the seller and we came to a mutually agreeable price. While this guy is a fairly common autograph, just finding a 1972 STP card of anyone is tough, much less The King. Perhaps the greatest Nascar driver of all time, The King, 1972 STP Richard Petty, already PSA/DNA slabbed:

image >>

Nice Card Mike! Here's a raw one I picked up many years ago ... just posting to compare the sigs.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Today is the one year anniversary of the start of my thread here. I wanted to tell y'all thank you for helping make it a fun project for me. I love being able to come here and share my new acquisitions with people who all come together with a common interest, collecting cardboard. We all have a little different variation on what type of cardboard we collect, I just happen to prefer my cardboard with writing on it. I remember last January/February, when I was trying to find an interesting direction to my collection. I briefly toyed with the idea of collecting hobby icon Mickey Mantle, and even put a $5000+ 1952 Mantle on layaway with Levi Bleam. (Levi allowed me to get out of the layaway and apply my already made payments to other raw cards that I needed for my signed HOF rookie card collection) However, that really didn't seem to ignite my passion, and I became quite bored with that relatively quickly. I saw a post from a fellow board member that was talking about a Nolan Ryan rookie card that he was going to get signed by both Koosman and Ryan. He had already gotten a Ripken signed by all 3 on his 82 card. I realized that I was excited watching his posts and hearing about the signed rookies. That led me to dabble in it myself, and low and behold, it has become what it is today. I love the never ending quest. The constant ebay and internet searches, the tips from fellow board members on where to find cards, the anticipation of an upcoming catalog auction, and the pure excitement and quickening pulse rate of finding a new one for my expanding collection. I enjoy the sending out of nice rookie cards TTM to the athletes, and the child like excitement I get when I go to the mailbox on days when I'm hoping to get them back. You see that brown yellow bubble mailer from a distance, and an otherwise mundane, stress filled day caused by work, becomes a fun, exciting moment as you walk up to see who it's from and what treasure it holds inside. Perhaps my favorite moments though are ebay auctions where I see a signed rookie I want posted, and I'll make a substantial offer to the seller to end it early and sell it to me, and send them a link to my collection, and they'll instantly become consumed with greed and won't accept my offer, saying they can get more, and 8 times out of 10, I end up winning the card at about 1/2 to 3/4 of what I offered to them. I always fight the urge to thank them for their greed image

I appreciate every tip, every trade, every PM, every sale that I've done with all y'all here on the boards. I haven't had a bad deal yet here for either side. I also appreciate every one of you that has offered your knowledge on signatures, on the occasions that I'm not sure if an item is authentic or not. The collective knowledge on these boards is excellent. I also appreciate those who take the time to leave a kind word on a new acquisition, it's great being able to share my passion amongst friends.

My name is Mike Navarro, and I'm a signed HOF and legends rookie card-aholic! I'm addicted, and plan to be for a long time.

Take care,

Mike

PS: SPECIAL THANKS TO CAROLJ, for going above and beyond and arranging for me some great grading specials on autographed cards, for allowing me to use my subscription voucher for autographed cards even though it specifically says you can't, and for even arranging the slabbing of my two prized cards, my Max and Maven Navarro cards. A tip of the cap to you, m'aam!
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Mike,

Happy Anniversary!

Thanks for taking the time to share your spectacular array of autos, many of which I find simply amazing.

Your son and daughter will look back someday, in awe and with much pride, at what you've accomplished.

I hope you NEVER get over your addiction for signed HOF and legends rookie cards! image

Can't wait to see what's next!

Happy Easter to you and your family,

PoppaJ

<< <i>Hi Mike,

Happy Anniversary!

Thanks for taking the time to share your spectacular array of autos, many of which I find simply amazing.

Your sons OOPS POPPA J ... I BELIEVE THAT'S A SON AND A DAUGHTER! LOL will look back someday, in awe and with much pride, at what you've accomplished.

I hope you NEVER get over your addiction for signed HOF and legends rookie cards! image

Can't wait to see what's next!

Happy Easter to you and your family,

PoppaJ >>

HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYONE. MIKE, THAT'S A GREAT COLLECTION. I ENJOY ALL THE ADDITIONS. POPPA J, THANKS FOR YOUR EXPERTISE ON THE MANTLE SIGS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Happy Easter Mike!

One year and still going! So far great stuff, I enjoy looking at your topic daily.

Cheers

• schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    One year down, a lifetime to go. image

Congrats on what you have so far!
    Who is Rober Maris?
    Added a fun one for me tonight. This guy hit around the Mendoza line, but he was greatly entertaining over the years, and is a HOF caliber broadcaster since the early 70's, late night comedian, Mr. Belvedere star, AND most importantly, the announcer in Major League (awesome movie!!), without further adieu, 1962 Topps Bob Uecker, already PSA/DNA slabbed.

Turn this thread around and he'd be in the front row!!

• gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Turn this thread around and he'd be in the front row!! >>

Classic! image

Us Milwaukee fans are spoiled rotten! We get Uecker 162 games a season. When I moved to Denver for a while, he's the thing I missed most about baseball.
    Got home today from work and had a nice surprise in the mailbox. I had sent this off to Guy in Canada back in February and it safely made the trip home today. I love the coloring on this card, and a solid, bold signature. 1971/1972 OPC Guy LaFleur

Added 1997 Bowman's Best Miguel Tejada already PSA/DNA certified.

• aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Lafleur - glad it arrived safely!
    Added a nice one tonight. Purchased from a fellow board member. Although Mr. Mackey has been a reliable TTM signer for years, I have heard that he now suffers from Alzheimer's. Rather than bother him and his family at this time with an autograph request, I just decided to go ahead and buy one slabbed already. 1964 Philadelphia John Mackey already PSA/DNA certified and slabbed PSA 6.

• schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Very nice LaFleur (and Bourque). If you do find that Messier is doing a signing, make sure to get something in for him, as he is very difficult (I have a few, none on rookies, and don't plan on selling them). If you can't get an 80-81 OPC signed, and are willing to take a place holder, you can find some of his BAP signed cards for much more reasonable prices.

Who is Rober Maris?
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Added a nice one tonight. Purchased from a fellow board member. Although Mr. Mackey has been a reliable TTM signer for years, I have heard that he now suffers from Alzheimer's. Rather than bother him and his family at this time with an autograph request, I just decided to go ahead and buy one slabbed already. 1964 Philadelphia John Mackey already PSA/DNA certified and slabbed PSA 6.

image >>

A couple weeks ago I met the guy who handles the autograph signings for older Baltimore Colts like Mackey, Raymond Berry, Artie Donovan, etc. and he told me that it's a real shame as John Mackey has no memory whatsoever of his playing career....
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    Mike ... the Mackay is a nice card ... I didn't know about his illness ... What a shame for ANYONE to be in that condition.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

This is one of those that won't be a hall of famer, but was a personal favorite of mine growing up. This guy could bring the heat! 1972 Topps James Rodney Richard.

• bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is one of those that won't be a hall of famer, but was a personal favorite of mine growing up. This guy could bring the heat! 1972 Topps James Rodney Richard.
    >>

Congrats on the JR Richard card...He was an incredible pitcher back in his day. I hope he's doing better these days as he's had a very tough life.

brian
    When I was a kid, I thought this guy was All-Everything. Notre Dame great, Oakland Raider great. My two favorite teams . Fortunately, I followed in his footsteps to Notre Dame, albeit my scholarship was academics, not football. I never made it to the Raiders, although I bet I could run the front office a bit better than the aging legend Al Davis. 1977 Topps Dave Casper already PSA/DNA slabbed.

Nice Pickup Mike!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Back to the grand ol' game, according to this guys wikipedia page (don't know how reliable that is), he has the most hits of any HOF eligible player to not be in the hall of fame. 1958 Topps Vada Pinson already PSA/DNA slabbed.

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Casper is a reclusive signer - nice pickup there!

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    Picked up a plethora of signed football HOF rookies.

1979 Topps Ozzie Newsome
    1955 Topps All American Clarence Ace Parker
    1956 Topps Joe Schmidt
    1959 Topps Bobby Mitchell
    1971 Topps Ken Houston
    1973 Topps Jack Youngblood
    1971 Topps Willie Lanier
    1948 Leaf George McAfee
    1960 Fleer Ron Mix
    1971 topps Charlie Sanders
    1977 Topps Mike Haynes
    1977 Topps Harry Carson

This guy might eventually get in through the Veteran's committee. Overcame what was usually a career ending surgery to notch another 150 plus wins after the surgery. Had 288 career victories, the most of any pitcher eligible for election that is not in the HOF.

1964 Topps Tommy John already PSA/DNA slabbed

Nice pick up Mike!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug