Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Added a nice one today. Card was signed at a private signing on Jan. 26th with Jack Berke sports. The card was a PSA 3 that I bought from fellow board member cohocorp for a reasonable price (thanks Pat). I cracked it out for the signing. This was actually a tough card for me to find (or I should say a tough card for me to find at a reasonable price as most people wanted to gouge you since it's a high number 52) 1952 Topps Dick Williams

Buying US Presidential autographs
    Added another sweet one today. Daddy's HOF'er. This is my 5 year old daughter and we got some cards made of her and got them in today. She asked if I wanted her to autograph one for my collection, and I told her I'd be proud to have one. The writing is a little shaky, but I can assure you it's authentic, I saw it signed with my own eyes. She is my little athlete, made 8 points today in her co-ed league. She wants to be the kicker for Notre Dame when she grows up. My son asked me for video games, video games, and more video games for Christmas, all she asked me for was a kicking tee!!! Without further fanfare, 2009 Maven Navarro.

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    +1 for Maven Navarro Card

Love the stats: Height 3' 6" Weight: 37.5
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    You might have the next Candice Parker there Mike!
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    That's absolutely awesome...BGS might slab something like that with a custom flip if you were to ask.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • With all due respect for the many wonderful cards in this thread, the '09 Maven Navarro RC is without question the best I've seen yet - fantastic stuff Mike.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Mike, do you have an extra Maven Navarro for TTM purposes? image LOL
  • Mike,

If I remember correctly, you are alumni of Notre Dame right? Ran across this auction today for former Notre Dame and now basketball HOFer Adrian Dantley signed rookie. I already have this one just thought maybe you like to add a fellow alum HOFer to your awesome collection.

Austin

http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-78-Topps-Adrian-Dantley-Signed-RC-56-Poor_W0QQitemZ120312880432QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Your 09 Maven Navarro RC is awesome!!! Congrats on the nice pickup! Just wondering how much that auto cost you? I probably don't want to know. image

<< <i>Mike,

If I remember correctly, you are alumni of Notre Dame right? Ran across this auction today for former Notre Dame and now basketball HOFer Adrian Dantley signed rookie. I already have this one just thought maybe you like to add a fellow alum HOFer to your awesome collection.

Austin

http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-78-Topps-Adrian-Dantley-Signed-RC-56-Poor_W0QQitemZ120312880432QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116 >>

Thanks for the link and I'd love to add a Dantley, but that ones a little rough for me.

Thanks for the comments on Maven's card, I showed her the card posted on the computer and she loves it! You should have seen her smile!!

Added a very tough one. This is a 1969 Topps Bowie Kuhn. This is similar to the 1990 Topps George Bush card, in that it wasn't released publicly. Distributed only through Kuhn himself. Most examples found are in bad condition. Recently about a half dozen were released by one of Bowie's friends and I think 4 of the 6 were autographed. I got one of them. In the Standard Catalog, I believe it books around $90 or so, but that was before he was announced to the HOF. Since then, the raw card trades all over the place as people began to seek the card to complete their HOF collection. I don't know how many are out there, but PSA has only graded 10 examples of this card unsigned and none autographed. As the card wasn't issued on the standard carboard stock, but instead cheap flimsy stock, nice condition examples are very tough to find. 1969 Topps Test Issue Bowie Kuhn

The mailman brought me a nice one today. The card itself was a PSA 4 that I cracked out and sent to Duke along with a $15.00 check. Turnaround time was a couple of weeks. I asked him to sign it "Duke of Flatbush", but he evidently didn't want to do that. 1949 Bowman Duke Snider.

• << <i>The mailman brought me a nice one today. The card itself was a PSA 4 that I cracked out and sent to Duke along with a $15.00 check. Turnaround time was a couple of weeks. I asked him to sign it "Duke of Flatbush", but he evidently didn't want to do that. 1949 Bowman Duke Snider.

image >>

SWEET 4!!

Hey Mike, I misplaced that compnay info you gave me for ripken signings...can you provide it to me again.
    Had another fun Saturday today. Living near Dallas occasionally gives me some prime opportunities. I heard a couple months ago about Kareem Abdul Jabbar being in town this weekend to sign autographs. So, y’all know me, I immediately purchased a Jabbar rookie in order to have signed today at the event. This is an event put on by a local radio station called The Ticket, and all autographs are free. That’s both good and bad. It’s good, because of the price, and bad, because EVERYBODY turns out at these things and if you want a free ticket you pretty much have to camp out to get them.. Kareem was signing 400 autographs, and I knew I didn’t want to camp out all night to wait in line to get a free ticket (I would have done it in a heartbeat before I had kids, but now that I’m older, I’m becoming a bit of a “diva”). Therefore, I placed an add on a local autograph board and I found someone willing to be a SHIL for me. (Shil is short for someone who Stands Hours In Line for me ) At first, the requested fee was $10.00 an hour, but I didn’t want to pay that much, so we finally settled on $75.00 set fee. I requested that my Shil be at the event at 4 AM Saturday morning (signing not until 4:15 PM Saturday). My Shil went above and beyond the call of duty and got out there at 3:00 PM Friday!!! He was 44th in line, so needless to say, he’ll be getting more work from me if someone I need comes to town. He called about 11:30 AM this morning and told me that he had secured my ticket, so I set out to the event to pick it up from him as I wanted him to get the ticket, but I wanted to be the one to get to meet Kareem, as I enjoyed watching him growing up. I arrived at about 1:15 with my wife and picked up this from my Shil:

Now, we had 3 hours to burn until the signing, so we walked around a bit and I happened across a Dallas Cowboys display in the distance. I told my wife, we had to go take a look, and she wanted to know why, because she knows that I don’t like the Cowboys at all. I explained to her that I didn’t want to go for myself, but that I wanted to go see if they had anything neat that Lawnmowerman might want to see. She looked at me perplexed and asked who in the heck this Lawnmowerman was. I told her it was some dude that cut grass in Florida or somewhere, but that he was a pretty cool guy on the bulletin board that I get on every night. So we venture out to the Cowboys display and I had her take a picture of this for Lawnmowerman to see. The Cowboys Vince Lombardi Trophies, a few of which his man Emmitt, played a big part in. Enjoy Lawnmowerman: (yes, I’m the fat guy standing to the left)

Next, we still had about 2 and a half hours left to burn, and my wife was being such a good sport about this, that we left and went to some outlet malls to do some shopping as she wanted some shoes. We got her shoes, and I even found a pair there and got 50% off. I struggled mightily with sticker shock, even with the discount, I still had to pay $38.00 for my shoes. Keep in mind, that I usually buy $12.99 Wal-Mart shoes for myself (I’m quite frugal with the exception of my memorabilia, kids, wife and cars, and don’t see the point very often of paying $38.00 for shoes, when the $12.99 ones work well, I only got these because I’ve started to jog some so hopefully in a few months, I won’t be the fat guy to the left, I’ll be the average size guy to the left. )

So, we go back to the event and just hang out for awhile. Finally, it came time for Kareem. He did a 15 minute radio Q&A before he started signing. It was pretty interesting. It started with an introduction of 6 time league MVP, 6 time world champion, scorer of the most points in NBA history, NBA legend, Kareem Abdul Jabbar. He received a pretty warm welcome. He was asked if he was offered any improper incentives in high school to go to certain colleges. Of course he replied “No” and said that his dad was a police officer, and recruiters didn’t seem to like to visit his house because of his dad. Kareem mentioned that at UCLA, they didn’t allow freshman to be on the Varsity, so he only played Varsity for Coach Wooden for 3 years. He was asked who out of all the players he played against were the biggest challenges for him. He gave what I thought were some surprising answers. He indicated that the person he had the hardest time scoring against was Nate Thurmond, and the hardest person he had to guard were players like Dan Issel, who were a threat outside of the lane with their shooting. Kareem said he didn’t like guarding people like Issel, because he had to get out of his element and go to the top of the key. He was asked that their was an internet survey that put as the 3rd greatest player ever, behind Jordan and Chamberlain, and how he felt about that even though his credentials were strong. He replied that he was happy just to be mentioned and that the big difference was that Jordan got a lot of style points and rightfully so, and that Chamberlain is remembered by everyone for his 100 point game and gaudy scoring average. He was asked what the biggest difference was between today’s players and guys of Kareem’s era, and he said that most of the differences were caused by young players not being taught proper basketball in grade school and throughout the years. He said ESPN has hurt traditional teamwork, by always focusing on the “highlight reels”, and that kids needed to realize that in order for someone to make a highlight reel dunk, that someone had to grab the rebound, pass the ball, set it up etc.. He said the kids today are too concerned with highlight reel plays and less concerned with basketball. Next, he was asked about his movie career. First up was questions about Bruce Lee and how he enjoyed training and making a movie with him. He said it was ok, but in the movie, he got killed in the end. He then laughed and said that seriously, him and Bruce Lee were close friends, and that Kareem used to babysit Brandon Lee for Bruce and how tragic it was for Kareem when Brandon died. Next he was asked about Airplane (one of my favorites by the way), and Kareem says that he gets a lot of attention for that. He said that at least every 6 months on his journeys across the country, that a pilot will come back to his seat and jokingly ask if he wants to take over the plane and finish off the flight. He also said that stewardesses seem to enjoy talking to him about Airplane. Finally, it was time for the signing, and I got to go in the first batch of people because the tickets were numbered and my Shil did a good job. Here is Kareem at the start of the signing after the first couple of people went:

As I got closer, I became concerned because Kareem was refusing to sign some things. I saw him turn down some jerseys while signing others, some photos while signing others, etc, (turns out he wasn’t signing unlicensed stuff I found out). I began to worry if he’d sign my card. Here is me about two people away from Kareem:

Finally it was my turn and the handler took my card and asked if he’d sign “these”, I thought “oh no, here we go”, but Kareem took it and said “sure” and began to sign. I was so relieved that I didn’t even notice he was signing it in silver paint type pen (but thankfully it turned out nice and strong). I asked him if he would sign it Lew Alcindor as well, and he was polite but declined. I thanked him for signing my card anyway and he was cordial and said “Your welcome”. Here is a picture of Kareem signing my rookie with me with my back turned

And last but not least, here’s the newest edition to my HOF signed rookie card collection. The scan had trouble picking up the paint signature properly, but in person, it’s VERY bold and looks outstanding. 1969 Topps Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar):

• MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I like all of your autographs, but that picture of Maven is PRICELESS!! The pose and those glasses are the best!
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Mike

Nice addition man!

By the way, tomorrow I am calling MVP to see if A-Rod prices have gone down any.

Do you believe in miracles?? As a young sportsfan, I was mesmerized by the US Olympic Hockey Team and the pride that was felt because of one hockey tournament. The Miracle on Ice to me goes down as perhaps the greatest moment in sports history. That's a big compliment from a Texan, who really only has a very passing interest in hockey. I remember that game absolutely sending chills down my spine, and watching it with my family all huddled together in our small TV room. We didn't have a lot of money in those days, and I remember the great pride I had when my dad brought me home a "chipped" generic hockey puck a couple weeks later, as a reminder of the time the family shared that night. Great memories. And for uttering that catch phrase, "Do you believe in miracles?", Mr. Michaels has earned his place in my own personal HOF.

The Call

1989 Pro Set Al Michaels

Added a few guys that can sling it and one that's not bad running it. I picked these up all in one lot at Huggins & Scott's auction Thursday night. I primarily wanted the vintage Riggins. I already have a really nice 1957 Topps Unitas, so this one will be available for sale (but I plan on sending it to PSA/DNA first to get slabbed so I can realize a maximum price for it). Plunkett was another childhood favorite. The only reason I got the Anderson is because it was part of the lot, I would have not added him on my own. I figure 3 HOF'ers in this lot, Unitas, Manning, Riggins, the only QB to win 2 SuperBowls and not be in the Hall, Plunkett, and Ken Anderson.

• MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    MIke, You rec'd them already?

<< <i>MIke, You rec'd them already? >>

Nope, actually still waiting on the invoice. I usually post my new additions shortly after I strike a deal for them.

Mike
    Hey Mike

Just saw this card on website and thought you might be interested.

Munson RC Signed PSA

Nice Munson

<< <i>Hey Mike

Just saw this card on website and thought you might be interested.

Munson RC Signed PSA

Nice Munson >>

Hi Gonblott,

Saw that one but it's too much for me. Thanks for the link though. Did you see that same guy's Babe Ruth signed 33 Goudey and 52 Topps Mantle autographed?? They have some nice stuff for sure.

Mike
    I called up the seller about a month ago about the goudey Ruth PSA DNA but it was already on hold.

Did you know what he was asking for the card?

Too bad I missed it...........

<< <i>I called up the seller about a month ago about the goudey Ruth PSA DNA but it was already on hold.

Did you know what he was asking for the card?

Too bad I missed it........... >>

Don't hold me to it as sometimes I don't remember correctly because I see so many cards, but I think at one time it was listed on his site for $25,000 or so. Like I said though, that could be totally erroneous on my behalf. Great card and for a while I think it has been listed with no price with a "call for details" instead.

Mike
    Found this one cheap enough so I decided to pick up another. 1949 Bowman George Kell.

Bought one from Rube's auctions tonight. Neat little card. 1950 Bowman Y. A. Tittle PSA/DNA 5.5. This used to be a PSA 6 that was cracked out and then signed by Tittle and resubmitted for authentication and got a 5.5. Nice appearance. I got a legend from a legendary board member.

Pre-slabbed
    Slabbed
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Just a FYI - I personally got that card autoed at TriStar's show last year.

It's a small world after all image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>Just a FYI - I personally got that card autoed at TriStar's show last year.

It's a small world after all image >>

Hey Stown,

Thanks for getting it signed in pen instead of sharpie. Looks great like that.

Mike
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Rube requested it to be in ball point.. I didn't want to risk him hunting me down, so did it as told.

When I handed it to Mr. Tittle, he said, "Who is that handsome young man?"

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    <When I handed it to Mr. Tittle, he said, "Who is that handsome young man?">

image haaaaaaa i remember him telling ya that barry!!!!!!!!
    What a nice Valentine's Day surprise today. 226 days after I sent it out. I had long ago written this one off. Beautiful signature and a definite upgrade to my collection. Interesting in that I sent it to Chicago, but the return came from California. Also, came back in a plain, white envelope when I had included a different SASE brown bubble mailer. He must have lost the return envelope and realized that I had put a check behind the card folded up in the cardsaver, as it was returned to my formal name and address that I have preprinted on my check. Awesome success, I'm excited. I have often regretted sending it, but not anymore. Formerly a BVG crackout, here it is:

Added a NASCAR legend today. 1991 Traks Jeff Gordon. I bought this from a fellow board member. Gordon has an earlier card from 1987 World of Outlaws Sprint Series racing, but NASCAR is what made him famous and this is his NASCAR rookie. He is my first racing addition. I tried to pick up a Dale Earnhardt Sr. signed rookie a couple months ago and let myself get outbid and have regretted missing it. I'll get it eventually though.

• awesome pickups Mike!! And congrats on that Banks, thats a Beauty!
    Dan
    Very nice Gordon Mikeimage
  • Sweet Jeff Gordon card Mike.
    Picked up a guy that had limited skills as a major league player, but tremendous talent as a major league manager. Future HOF manager, 1964 Topps Tony La Russa.

The hockey portion of my collection just tripled I traded a couple of my political autographs for these 10 current and future hockey HOF’ers from a fellow board member. For this baseball lover to know the names of these guys, they must have been pretty good. image

LaFontaine
    Jagr
    Savard
    Sakic
    Robitaille
    Gartner
    Fedorov
    Oates
    Neely

Added a nice one today. NASCAR legend, 1988 Maxx Dale Earnhardt.

• scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on all the recent pickups, Mike! Happy to help out with the hockey cards as well!
    Got an outstanding addition this morning. This card has been VERY TOUGH for me to find. 1965 Topps Jim Catfish Hunter, already PSA/DNA slabbed. For anyone contemplating starting a HOF signed rookie collection, this one is tough to find. One of my proverbial "White Whales".

• Great pickup Mike. I'm curious what you paid (PM if you don't want to disclose here).
    Found this one over on the B/S/T board and it was cheap enough so I couldn't pass it up. 1974 Topps PSA/DNA slabbed Joe DeLamielleure.

Mike, were did you pick up catfish hunter at? I know you were looking for one for a long time...

<< <i>Mike, were did you pick up catfish hunter at? I know you were looking for one for a long time... >>

I found it on ebay hours after it was listed and made the guy a substantial offer for it offline and he sold it to me. I can't tell you how excited I was when I saw it listed. I always run the same searches and I was shocked when i saw it. I'm glad he sold it early to me or it would have been an anxious week of waiting.

• Mike, I really like that Earnhardt card. Congrats on that.
    Purchased this one from a fellow board member. Former Texas A&M Aggie and NFL HOF'er, 1952 Bowman R. Yale Lary. My wife likes this one as she is an Aggie image

Added a true warrior today. 1981 Topps Kellen Winslow. I used to love watching this guy play. Shirt tail out, all muddy, catching pass after pass, getting up slow and punishing defenders. His kid isn't bad either, but with all due respects, despite the name, the kid is no Kellen Winslow.

Never noticed the Ali until now, very nice signature.

How much does "Cassius Clay" auto bring?

I'd like to have a signed glove one day.

<< <i>Never noticed the Ali until now, very nice signature.

How much does "Cassius Clay" auto bring?

I'd like to have a signed glove one day. >>

Thanks, I was glad to get the Ali card. I do have an Ali signed glove signed Muhammad Ali AKA Cassius Clay. I got it signed myself in person around 1994 in Dallas. Here's a pic. It's also been authenticated by James Spence Authentications as well.

Typically, the ones signed with Cassius Clay as well easily fetch over $1,000 on ebay when they have them as long as they have a good COA, IE, Steiner, PSA/DNA, James Spence, etc. The last authentic one I saw on ebay sold for $1005.00 around late February from Steiner. Ebay occasionally has some bad Cassius Clay ones that sell for anywhere from $200-$600.00.

Mine is not for sale, BUT I could be tempted to trade and kick in some cash for hhhhmmmmm, a nice PSA/DNA signed 1958 Roger Maris rookie!!!!
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>His kid isn't bad either, but with all due respects, despite the name, the kid is no Kellen Winslow. >>

Very, very true.

Kellen starred in what is, to me, the best NFL game ever played, the Divisional round 41-38 win at the Orange Bowl over the Dolphins in early '82.