Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• Options
    yeah i got a bird/magic rookie waiting for either of those 2 or Dr.J to have a signing. Did you see that Banks is signing in Kansas City in March/April?
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Dan,

Nice cards, nope didn't get anything from the recent Schwartz show. I'll get Larry Bird next time they do their signings with him. If I had my Ernie Banks back from Ernie, I'd have gotten it signed. I have one signed for my collection and I mailed him my other one months ago, needless to say, it hasn't come back yet. I just wish if he wasn't going to sign it that he'd take the time to drop it back in the envelope and send it back!!

Sean,

Nope, wasn't me on the Feller, the thing I missed out on yesterday was a 1958 BVG graded 1.5 Bobby Hull that I was going to get signed, I got outbid with a couple seconds remaining. I thought I made a strong bid at $301.99 but it sold for $306.99. My own fault for not going deep enough into my pocketbook, but I was irritated about that one for awhile. I should have a 1951 Parkhurst Gordie Howe autographed coming back soon from his signing at Field of Dreams in Vegas last weekend. I can't wait to see it, he was supposed to sign it. "Gordie Howe, Mr. Hockey". Do you happen to know if Musial will sign "Stan "The Man" Musial"?? I just sent him a 48 Bowman and $100.00 and asked him to sign it that way in ink pen. Didn't know if I had a chance to get "The Man" or not. I've made 3 calls into Berra's family business trying to get a price on a custom way I want his rookie signed, but they haven't called back yet. Plus they are still holding Rube's card hostage so maybe they are just out of town or extraordinarily busy right now.

Mike >>

Hey Mike, what is this schwartz show? I like to get Bird to sign something as well. Any info helps, thanks!

Austin
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Added 1951 Parkhurst Gordon Howe. Card was signed at Field of Dreams in Las Vegas, Nevada last weekend. Gordie signed it in ballpoint and added his nickname Mr. Hockey as I requested. Card was formerly a PSA 1 that I cracked out to get signed. This is only my 4th hockey card in my collection joining a 79 OPC Gretzky, a 79 Topps Gretzky, and a 85 Topps Lemieux. Now I just need a 58 Hull!!

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Hull?!?!? You need the Hockey Trinity Mike!

Howe is the Father
    Gretzky is the Son
    and Orr is the Holy Ghost

you CAN'T go with Hull over Bobby Orr
  • Options

<< <i>Hull?!?!? You need the Hockey Trinity Mike!

Howe is the Father
    Gretzky is the Son

you CAN'T go with Hull over Bobby Orr >>

VitoCo,

The Holy Ghost (Orr) won't sign his rookie card. He refuses even at paid signings. So my next best option is Hull. image

Mike
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The Holy Ghost (Orr) won't sign his rookie card. He refuses even at paid signings. So my next best option is Hull. image

Mike >>

You're kidding!!! Depending on what you would be willing to pay, I know Orr is a very charitable guy and still lives in the Boston area. I bet if you contacted his representative and offered to make a donation to charity you'd have a reasonable chance. That's a bummer though.

I hate when guys get pissed off about people asking to sign certain items. What's the point?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hull?!?!? You need the Hockey Trinity Mike!

Howe is the Father
    Gretzky is the Son

you CAN'T go with Hull over Bobby Orr >>

VitoCo,

Mike >>

I wonder if there is a reasoning behind that ... it seems like a strange decision to avoid signing just rookie cards. VERY NICE graph BTW!
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • Options
    Just found and bought one that has been very, very, very tough for me to get so far. Future HOF'er, 1992 Bowman Trevor Hoffman.

• Options
    Added one of my favorite football players to watch when I was growing up. 1979 Topps Earl Campbell. Received in person today at Academy Sports in Tyler, TX. Turned out to be an interesting signing. I'll post on that later, right now I'm going to eat.

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mike, Glad to see Earl showed up today. I guess you must have a good story for us later.

Brian
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Nice Campbell!

Wish he'd do an Academy signing here in Houston, that would probably be a pretty cool and relaxed environment, as compaired to a Tri-Star show. May I ask how much he charged?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike- nice earl! I feel betrayed that you didnt tell me you were going to a earl signing!

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Mike!!!! Keep em coming. I will send you some Peyton Manning cards for Christmas!!image
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome Earl RC. One of my all time favorite cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike- nice earl! I feel betrayed that you didnt tell me you were going to a earl signing!

John >>

John,

That's funny because I actually thought of you when I saw the signing and I checked your thread and saw where you already had him. I was going to get a signed rookie for you and send you a surprise Christmas present if you hadn't already had him.

Brian,

It was a fun day, I just created a thread about it and posted it.

MickeyMantle24,

If you send me those Peyton cards, you know that I'll think that is like receiving a lump of coal and must mean that I've been bad. image

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Campbell!

Wish he'd do an Academy signing here in Houston, that would probably be a pretty cool and relaxed environment, as compaired to a Tri-Star show. May I ask how much he charged? >>

Bunch-a-bull,

It was a free signing. You didn't even have to buy anything. Really nice. I guess that's an advantage to going to signing in his hometown.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike- that thought brings a tear to my eye!
    You're right, I do already have him, so no biggie. I was just messin with ya.
    If you do happen to go to any other signings, let me know. Gladly send something for your time, and then ya KNOW it's real. image

Nice day of Earl autos. Thats a whole collection you got in 1 day!

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    LOL, Mike, I will just send you Eli then.image Just kidding!! Great collection
  • Options
    Got another one yesterday, 1948 Bowman Stan Musial. This was a PSA 3 that I cracked out and sent directly to Stan's company. Total turnaround time was only 7 days so very happy with the turnaround. I've seen some people get free autographs from Stan, but I wanted it signed a certain way so I sent him $100.00 to sign it for me. I asked him to sign it in blue ink pen, Stan "The Man" Musial, but he did not comply as he signed it in black marker. I knew when I sent it that he may or may not sign it with the added inscription "The Man", but I figured as a paying customer, he would at least use the pen I asked for. That's what I get for assuming. Still presents very bold and well but if I had to do it all over again, I would just try for the free route since he didn't comply with my request anyway.

• Options
    Got another 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan rookie card. I sent this card to his foundation back in late March, early April if I remember correctly, just got it back today. Has Ryan's hologram on back as well. Nice example of his signed rookie. I haven't decided yet, but this one will probably be available for sale/trade.

• Options
    Very nice on another Ryan. Considering that a lot of people haven't figured out the concept of sending a copy to Nolan for signing it should help your cause in the long run. I'm wondering if my '67 Met team card may have snuck in at the last signing...
  • Options
    Hey Mike,

Saw this thought maybe you want to get it. It's Pedro minor league rookie card auto -

ebay

Austin
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I had thought about buying that card many times, but after the problems I've had with the seller, I gave up that thought.

<< <i>Hey Mike,

Saw this thought maybe you want to get it. It's Pedro minor league rookie card auto -

ebay

Austin >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Added a future HOF'er today, recently retired, 1987 Topps Traded Greg Maddux.

• Options
    Congrats on the Maddux! It must be a somewhat early signature, as it's almost legible.

<< <i>Added a future HOF'er today, recently retired, 1987 Topps Traded Greg Maddux.

image >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Even though I live just 30 miles south of Dallas, I've never really been a fan of the Cowboys (Go Raiders image ), but I am a fan of greatness, so I added this one today. 1990 Topps Traded Emmitt Smith graded BGS 9 with an autograph grade of 10.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, what did that cost ya? I have been wanting to get one of those for a while now. I have only ever seen them in BGS slabs.

That RC is one of my all time favs image
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, what did that cost ya? I have been wanting to get one of those for a while now. I have only ever seen them in BGS slabs.

That RC is one of my all time favs image >>

Hi LMM,

It was $155.49 which included shipping. One sold a few weeks ago for $102.50 if I remember correctly. Just my luck that someone wanted this one along with me.

Mike
  • Options
    Went ahead and picked this up tonight. 1990 Pedro Martinez "minor league" card autographed. Thought it would go well with the Ripken I've got coming. Thanks to Austin as he brought this to my attention a few posts ago in my thread. Got a Christmas card from ebay that had a $25.00 gift card in it, and made a $50.00 best offer to the seller of this one (it was listed at $99.95 or so), he accepted, and so the net cost to me will be $29.50 after shipping. Couldn't pass it up at that price. Thanks for the assist AustinChau

Mike

• Options

<< <i>

Hi LMM,

It was $155.49 which included shipping. One sold a few weeks ago for $102.50 if I remember correctly. Just my luck that someone wanted this one along with me.

Mike >>

That's funny. If the last one of something I want sold for $102, I bid $90 and hope!

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hi LMM,

Mike >>

That's funny. If the last one of something I want sold for $102, I bid $90 and hope!

John >>

John,

You make perfect sense, but I hate losing something after watching it for a week. I didn't see the earlier auction or I would have bought that one. I usually try to do a pretty exhaustive search on the web during the time I'm watching it to see if I can find it cheaper anywhere, but alas, the search terms I was using didn't yield one cheaper for me. I usually win things a lot cheaper than my max bid, and I bid a max bid of $156.50 for this Emmitt expecting to get it cheaper but I almost lost it anyway.

Mike
  • Options
    Alabama sucks.

Just trying to get a run of last replies with my name on them.
  • Options

<< <i>Went ahead and picked this up tonight. 1990 Pedro Martinez "minor league" card autographed. Thought it would go well with the Ripken I've got coming. Thanks to Austin as he brought this to my attention a few posts ago in my thread. Got a Christmas card from ebay that had a $25.00 gift card in it, and made a $50.00 best offer to the seller of this one (it was listed at $99.95 or so), he accepted, and so the net cost to me will be $29.50 after shipping. Couldn't pass it up at that price. Thanks for the assist AustinChau

Mike

image >>

Very nice! Glad you picked it up. I thought this autograph looks really crisp and clean, very nice eye-appeal. Your collection is growing by the days, great job!
  • Options
    Mike, did you have your TCMA Ripken card signed at his December signing through Ironclad? I can't remember when it was scheduled but remember reading something about a December signing.
  • Options
    Mike, found you another one perhaps you are interested in a Maddux minor league auto rc. This card is very rare and even rarer to be signed. I used to want to own this card, but even the unsigned version was hard to find at times.

ebay

• Options
    Wow, I'd love that Maddux...compaired to my only Maddux signature, that's a gem.

• Options
    Added a hoop legend today. 1980-1981 Topps Larry Bird/Julius Erving/Magic Johnson signed by Magic Johnson. Signature was obtained by Brian (CardsforMS) for me today in California at a Magic Johnson booksigning at Border's. I'll send it to Larry Bird's next signing with Schwartz and will try to add Dr. J one day as well.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice of him to write small.
  • Options
    Added another 1981 Topps Joe Montana already PSA/DNA certified. As a Notre Dame grad, I consider him the greatest football player ever. I liked this Montana sig better than the one I already have so I upgraded here. The old one that's already slabbed will be for sale as soon as this one gets here.

• Options
    Just agreed to buy this one a few minutes ago from a fellow board member. 1956 Topps Warren Giles already PSA/DNA slabbed. Elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1979, several months after his death. Now since I have Giles, I need to find a Harridge as well. Thanks Sean!!

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I wish I knew where I saw it, but very very recently I saw the pair of Giles and Harridge autographed, perhaps in an auction? perhaps an upcoming one?

M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>I wish I knew where I saw it, but very very recently I saw the pair of Giles and Harridge autographed, perhaps in an auction? perhaps an upcoming one?

M >>

It was in the most recent Mastro auction. I finished as the 2nd bidder on the pair. I couldn't believe they went so high!!

Mike
  • Options
    Perhaps you are interested to add a rookie card for Doug Flutie (one of my childhood fav) -

ebay
  • Options
    Austin,

I'm actually thinking about that one, but just because of the "hail mary" play in college. Has to be one of the greatest college moments of the 80's. Flutie makes a lot of anti-Notre Dame comments in his commentator analysis so I don't really like the guy, just like the one play.

Mike
  • Options
    Added a true legend today. 1957 Topps Bill Russell. Card was a PSA 5 O/C that I bought from board member mphilking that I cracked out and got signed via send in on December 20, 2008 at Rich Altman's Hollywood Collectibles signing. For years, there was no way to obtain Russell. His autographs were very rare. However he began to do appearances several years ago for Rich Altman. Still a tough signature compared to his contemporaries. The scan doesn't do the card justice, all that white in the background doesn't show to the naked eye. Card is crease free with it's main problem being centering and a tilt factory cut. Couldn't decide what to have him sign in, but went with fine point blue sharpie and it turned out great.

• Options
    Mike, The Russell is sweet! Congrats
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Well-deserved bump for an awesome card - I imagine there can't be many signed Russell rookies out there! Great work!

BTW Russell is a very nice man in person - I've met him a couple of times at functions, and he would shake your hand, pose for a picture and be happy to talk to you, but just never liked the impersonal nature of autographs. (He wouldn't even sign for teammates when he played, per a story from Satch Sanders.) He also went through absolute hell while playing in Boston due to race issues. I'm glad to see he has come around a bit (I'm sure $$$ had something to do with it), but it allows many of us to obtain what was for a long time a Holy Grail autograph.
  • Options
    Congrats on the great Russell! Get that one in to PSA/DNA for holdering ASAP!
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Congrats on the Russell!

• Options
    Congrats on a toughie...with that and the recent sub results, good days at the Navarro house.

oh, and...

400!!!