Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• Options
    MIKE !!!!!

I think i'm going to build you a web site just to showcase your collection of autograph cards !

That John Smoltz is a Taj Mahal beauty !

cheers

Chuck
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>MIKE !!!!!

I think i'm going to build you a web site just to showcase your collection of autograph cards !

That John Smoltz is a Taj Mahal beauty !

cheers

Chuck >>

Chuck,

I have a URL and storage, I'm just too stupid to figure it out completely yet. I did purchase a "web builder kit" a few days ago, I just need to actually get around to it.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That John Smoltz is a Taj Mahal beauty ! >>

It really is. I'll admit I'm completely biased, but I think that's my favorite of all of these superb cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Chuck,

I have a URL and storage, I'm just too stupid to figure it out completely yet. I did purchase a "web builder kit" a few days ago, I just need to actually get around to it.

Mike >>

Mike, LMK if there's any way that I can help with the site.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Chuck,

Mike >>

Mike, LMK if there's any way that I can help with the site. >>

Thanks for the offer. When I get around to putting it up, if I encounter "trouble", I'll definitely PM you. I'm going through godaddy.com and bought their "Website tonight" or something like that package. The URL is http://www.hofsignedrookiecards.com/ right now I just have a coming soon type page up.

Mike
  • Options
    When I built my first site I was overly intimidated. Once you learn the basic functions of the site manager you'll be fine. The thing to remember is that you can make it as easy or as complicated as you want. Either way it's going to be a great site to visit when everything gets posted.
  • Options
    Mike your collection is getting more insane every time I check it. Beckett or some other magazine should do an interview with you.

I notice that you are trying to get the Tiger Sp Authentic auto rc with the box break. Since you are dappling into premiere "modern" rookies, I am wondering if you have your eyes on the Lebron James 2003 Exquisite auto rc. It is considered the holy grail of Lebron's rookie and he sure seems like he might down as one of the greatest player of alltime. The problem is that the card is very pricey.

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the offer. When I get around to putting it up, if I encounter "trouble", I'll definitely PM you. I'm going through godaddy.com and bought their "Website tonight" or something like that package. The URL is http://www.hofsignedrookiecards.com/ right now I just have a coming soon type page up.

Mike >>

Mike, that sounds exciting! Seriously, if you have any questions or need any help on your site, feel free to contact me. I did websites for many years and would be more than happy to be of any assistance.

BTW, your collection is simply amazing! It's hard enough just to get a collection like yours in raw, but with autos...WOW!
    Brian
  • Options
    Mike, I just saw your Whitey Ford card and was wondering how you got him to sign "chairman of the board"?
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, I just saw your Whitey Ford card and was wondering how you got him to sign "chairman of the board"? >>

Thanks for the offers of help guys and for the kind words.

I got Whitey to sign "Chairman of the Board" with a sincere, polite note and a check for him. I sent it directly to him rather than going through a show and promoters and hassle. Typically, it's my understanding that he won't sign like that, but I'm never shy asking, and sometimes they cooperate. I assume it's largely dependent on their mood that day. If you need his address let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike, no need to look up the address; that's a great success as I know he really doesn't like signing that inscription.
  • Options
    This is getting to be a pretty good week for my collection. Added a 1949 Bowman George Kell today. Obtained TTM from George. Incredibly fast, I just sent it out Saturday night and already back on Thursday. For years he has been in the Hall of Fame of signing. He even sent back an extra card of his own autographed as well. George was the first professional players autograph I ever got TTM back in 1982 or 1983 or so. He's been a reliable signer at least that long. His signature is beginning to get a little shaky. I guess age is catching up to him like it will eventually do to us all. Thanks George!

• Options

<< <i>Mike your collection is getting more insane every time I check it. Beckett or some other magazine should do an interview with you.

I notice that you are trying to get the Tiger Sp Authentic auto rc with the box break. Since you are dappling into premiere "modern" rookies, I am wondering if you have your eyes on the Lebron James 2003 Exquisite auto rc. It is considered the holy grail of Lebron's rookie and he sure seems like he might down as one of the greatest player of alltime. The problem is that the card is very pricey.

image >>

Austin,

What do those run??

Mike
  • Options
    more than i have..lol
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    i see this on ebay...joe "D" signed
    my t-205's

• Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    That Lebron is sweet! have you ever thought of getting a Tony Dungy autographed rookie card. He will be in the coaching HOF
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike your collection is getting more insane every time I check it. Beckett or some other magazine should do an interview with you.

image >>

Austin,

What do those run??

Mike >>

I think a fair price for a Lebron 2003 exquisite auto rc is about $2000-3000.
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • Options
    Added a potential HOF pitcher tonight, 2000 Fleer Update Johan Santana. Now I'll have to work for the harder Topps Finest version but I wanted to at least get an example of Santana while I search.

• Options
    Nice Santana. I believe he is a HOFamer.
  • Options
    This guy is not going to the Hall in either sport, not in baseball because he wasn't good enough, and not in football because of an unfortunate injury. He was definitely one of the greatest athletes I ever saw in my formative years. That Monday night game when he ran OVER, AROUND, and THROUGH the Seahawks is the single greatest display of running back skill I've ever seen on a football field. The great Bo Jackson!! 1986 Bo Jackson Topps Traded already PSA/DNA certified.

• Options
    Got one back today through the mail. I included a donation to Big Brothers Big Sisters and asked Bob to sign it Houdini of the Hardwood. Little did I know that his sig is huge and with the inscription, it takes up the whole card. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't ask for the inscription. Too much writing when he used fat marker. Still a nice card to add. 1957 Topps Bob Cousy "Houdini of the Hardwood"

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Nice card and auto!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    The Cooz is one of the most reliable signers out there and Big Brothers Big Sisters is really easy to deal with. I am totally cool with Bob requiring the donation because he's been involved with them since his playing days.

On my basketball the Cooz's signature is also much bigger than the others image
  • Options
    wow that really does take up the whole dang card
    my t-205's

• Options
    very nice card Mike! Congrats
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    That Lebron he showed is the Gold version and has a buy it now price of $14,777
    The regular lebron exquisite will run you $4,500-$5,000 raw.
  • Options
    This guy has pretty good potential and seems to have his head screwed on right for the most part. Could be one of the greats of the game by the time he's done. Here's hoping he doesn't fizzle out (or decide to play football image ). 2003-2004 SP Authentic Signatures Lebron James BGS slabbed 9 for the card, 10 for the sig (if you can call that scribble a sig image )

• Options
    Added another of my most enjoyable to watch players when I was growing up. Not a Hall of Famer, but Fernando Mania was fun. 1981 Topps PSA/DNA slabbed Fernando Valenzuela. Purchased from fellow board member Leathtech.

• Options
    Lebron has hit the thread! That card is sweet!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Mike, make sure you cross the LeBron over to PSA. The BGS Slab is only a 9 because of a surface 8.5 - that's ridiculous. Every other subgrade is a 9.5. It may very well be a PSA 10.

By the way, have you requested PSA add a set of HOF signed rookies from multiple sports? I bet you could get them to do a mega set like that for you...probably be nice to have an online database of your cards and which are missing etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, make sure you cross the LeBron over to PSA. The BGS Slab is only a 9 because of a surface 8.5 - that's ridiculous. Every other subgrade is a 9.5. It may very well be a PSA 10.

By the way, have you requested PSA add a set of HOF signed rookies from multiple sports? I bet you could get them to do a mega set like that for you...probably be nice to have an online database of your cards and which are missing etc. >>

Mike,

I might try to do that on the Lebron. Most of the time, I really don't care about the grade, but if there was a chance that it could pull a 10, that would be sweet. If it did get a 10, I'd probably sell it and use the proceeds to buy another 9 for the collection and have some nice profit $$ left over.

I don't know the market for the Lebron card, is their a big selling difference between a 9 and a 10 for that one?

Mike
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Added another of my most enjoyable to watch players when I was growing up. Not a Hall of Famer, but Fernando Mania was fun. 1981 Topps PSA/DNA slabbed Fernando Valenzuela. Purchased from fellow board member Leathtech.
    >>

Glad to see you added a Fernando RC and you are right on. Fernando Mania was not only big time in LA, but baseball parks throughout the country experienced increased attendance when the Dodgers were in town and especially when Fernando pitched. He had a solid career and Rookie of the year and Cy Young Award honors. Not too bad.

Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Thats a sweet LeBron.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    His signature is his jersey number??
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

<< <i>His signature is his jersey number?? >>

Yes
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    He signs "23" with a little scribble at the end.

His 2003 Exquisite Rookie has a nicer signature.
  • Options
    I thought I already had Trevino's rookie when I got the 81 Donruss signed, but then I found this one tonight. 1978 Sports Deck Lee Trevino already PSA/DNA slabbed. I picked this one up cheaper than the price of the slabbing image

• Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Very nice pickup at a great price!
  • Options
    it is alsways good to get a card for cheaper than it costs to get it graded..
    my t-205's

• Options

<< <i>Added another of my most enjoyable to watch players when I was growing up. Not a Hall of Famer, but Fernando Mania was fun. 1981 Topps PSA/DNA slabbed Fernando Valenzuela. Purchased from fellow board member Leathtech.

image >>

Enjoy the Fernando... I'm glad it has found a good home with a great collection!
  • Options
    Added a nice one tonight. Board member FrankHardy was kind enough to send my 1948 Bowman Red Schoendienst along with some of his cards and got it autographed for me. 1948 Bowman Red Schoendienst. Nice condition and great signature.

• Options
    Not a Hall of Famer, but I put this guy in my collection out of respect to how he used to kill my Texas Rangers (yeah, I know, everyone killed my Rangers, but I loved this guy's curveball). 2000 SPX Barry Zito.

• Options
    No one is going to mistake this guy as a baseball HOF'er. However, he is arguably the greatest basketball player to ever walk this planet There are very few of my autographed rookie pickups that have made me happier than this one. I already have his 86 Fleer basketball rookie signed, and am ecstatic to get this one now. 1991 Upper Deck Baseball Michael Jordan. Already passed PSA/DNA quick opinion. This is a TOUGH card to find signed. In my personal opinion, the 86 Fleer signed rookies are MUCH easier to find.

• Options
    Nice.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice. >>

Nice++
  • Options
    Added a nice one TTM today. Card was a PSA 4.5 crackout. I just mailed it out to Bobby on Monday of this week and got it back today. Kudos to both Bobby and the US Postal Service. They both deliver for you!!

1938 Goudey Bobby Doerr

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    WOW! That is a fast turnaround.
  • Options
    Very nice once again!
  • Options
    for the record, Bobby Doerr is the nicest Hall of Famer I have ever met in my lifetime. So friendly and personable.
  • Options
    Bobby signed in the perfect place also.