Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Added the Round Mound of Rebound. Purchased from a fellow board member. I am always entertained watching this guy, loved to watch him play basketball and love to watch him play golf now. I think he'd be a lot of fun to hang out with and shoot the breeze.

1986 Fleer Charles Barkley

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Congrats on the Barkley. That's only the 2nd one I've seen signed (and I jumped on that 1st one when I saw it).
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    I shall miss the Barkley, but its found a great home.
    pete
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    Nice Barkley!

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    That was an awesome deal on the Barkley. I would love to own that card.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    nice additions

congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Got this card from one of my friends that I used to go to the ballpark with to chase graphs over 20 years ago. I always enjoyed Rafael when he played for the Rangers, and he was by far one of the most friendly, autograph accomodating, courteous ballplayers I've ever met. All around great guy that made some bad choices concerning roids, but who amongst us, hasn't done something wrong? I hope he eventually gets in to the Hall, not for my collection, but for him.

1987 Donruss Rafael Palmeiro

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Even by your normally high standards, you are really on a roll lately image
  • Options
    Just got this one back from the Nolan Ryan Foundation today. Card has seen better days and has severe creasing, but signature turned out really nice. Even beater Ryan signed rookies typically are easy sellers/traders. I already have a nice one for myself so this one will be available for sale or preferably trade.

1968 Topps Nolan Ryan

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    PM sent
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I got my '67 Mets team card back as well today.

Your collection just gets more and more amazing!
  • Options
    Added my first Tennis card to the mix today.

2003 NetPro Roger Federer

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Mike.

And well timed - considering he won Wimbleton today.

Thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Got this one back today directly from Peter. He signs items via his website for $$. To a 7 year old child (me), his character was awesome. Star Wars captured my attention like no prior movie I had ever seen. Great times! Turns out Chewie lives less than about an hour from me now.

1977 Topps Star Wars "Chewbacca" Peter Mayhew

• Options
    now that's awesome image
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
  • Options
    Nice pick up Mike, I actually had the chance to meet Mayhew and his wife a number of years ago, he was a great guy and his hands were so big it looked like he could palm two basketballs.
  • Options
    Added 7 1981 Donruss Golf cards from 5 different members of the World Golf Hall of Fame. 2 each of Tom Watson and Lee Trevino, and one each of Larry Nelson, Tom Kite, and Ben Crenshaw. I've heard a few people say that Watson can be a real tool so I was glad to get both his stat leader and regular card in one shot. Plus, now I'm officially collecting the 1981 Donruss Golf set in autographed form. It's a relatively small set and now I have 27 or 28 of them already (I need to count)

• Options
    Added one of my "white whales" today. Although Doby was a great signer and lived until 2003, for some reason, this card is relatively tough to find signed. I probably paid way too much for this, especially since it's personalized, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and not look back if you want something bad enough. This man probably had to endure all the same nonsense that Jackie Robinson had to put up with, but he never seemed to get his due for that.

1949 Bowman Larry Doby

• Options
    Dang that's nice, even if it personlized. I am curious, how much did you drop?

<< <i>Added one of my "white whales" today. Although Doby was a great signer and lived until 2003, for some reason, this card is relatively tough to find signed. I probably paid way too much for this, especially since it's personalized, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and not look back if you want something bad enough. This man probably had to endure all the same nonsense that Jackie Robinson had to put up with, but he never seemed to get his due for that.

1949 Bowman Larry Doby

image >>

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • Options

<< <i>Added one of my "white whales" today. Although Doby was a great signer and lived until 2003, for some reason, this card is relatively tough to find signed. I probably paid way too much for this, especially since it's personalized, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and not look back if you want something bad enough. This man probably had to endure all the same nonsense that Jackie Robinson had to put up with, but he never seemed to get his due for that.

1949 Bowman Larry Doby

image >>

I'm speechless and jealous! That is gorgeous! Congrats on the Huge Beautiful pick up! So hopefully without the guy who bought that Doby off Ebay last month and you bidding on the next Doby Auto RC to pop up on ebay I should be able get one pretty cheap! lol
    Did you send anything in to the Aaron signing last month?
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>
    I'm speechless and jealous! That is gorgeous! Congrats on the Huge Beautiful pick up! So hopefully without the guy who bought that Doby off Ebay last month and you bidding on the next Doby Auto RC to pop up on ebay I should be able get one pretty cheap! lol
    Did you send anything in to the Aaron signing last month?
    Dan >>

Thanks Dan, yep, the next one on ebay will probably be a huge disappointment for the seller if they are expecting to receive what the last one went for. I finally got the card back that I sent in to the Aaron signing. Turned out pretty nice. It's my favorite "non-rookie" card that I have. Perhaps it's a 5 HOF'er "rookie card" as I think it's the first card to picture 5 HOF'ers on one card.

• Options
    Was messing around on ebay and just added one of these as a curiousity as it was really cheap. Supposedly there was 3,000 of these signed, but I think I've seen 6,000 of them on ebay the last couple weeks! image

1995 Steve McNair Superior Pix

• Options

<< <i>Was messing around on ebay and just added one of these as a curiousity as it was really cheap. Supposedly there was 3,000 of these signed, but I think I've seen 6,000 of them on ebay the last couple weeks! image

image >>

does he sign TTM?
  • Options
    The golf component of my collection is coming along nicely. Added two more members of the World Golf Hall of Fame. I believe it's the true rookie of Nick Price. Gary Player has a 1971 Barratt's so this is not his true rookie, but the best I can tell, it's his American issued rookie.

1990 Pro Set Nick Price
    1990 Pro Set Gary Player

• Options
    Not a HOF'er, but a pretty popular player from my youth that I sometimes pretended to be in Wiffle Ball games. Decent card as well, was a PSA 6 crackout. Board member Rockdjrw got this signed for me at the Fans Edge show in IL.

1971 Topps Steve Garvey

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    nice Garvey!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Added another football HOF. The card was a PSA 7. Doesn't have a checkerboard background like the scan makes it look like. Nice card with nice autograph. It was signed yesterday in IL and board member Rockdjrw got it signed for me.

1965 Philadelphia Gum Mel Renfro

• Options
    I knew I had this card somewhere and I finally found it. Jerome was one of my classmates at Notre Dame. We weren't friends, but did play pickup basketball together several times. He signed this for me while we were both at Notre Dame. Those were the good old days. I spent 4 years anxiously waiting to get out into the "real world", and almost every day since, I would love to go back!!

1992 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Jerome Bettis

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭✭
    nice!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Nice Bus!!!!
  • Options
    Nice stuff Mike.

Again - good timing - Watson could win the British Open!

Went to school with Garvey - we shared the same best friend.

Thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Was messing around on ebay and just added one of these as a curiousity as it was really cheap. Supposedly there was 3,000 of these signed, but I think I've seen 6,000 of them on ebay the last couple weeks! image

image >>

does he sign TTM? >>

Yes, but postage will be a beeeeyach.
  • Options

<< <i>I knew I had this card somewhere and I finally found it. Jerome was one of my classmates at Notre Dame. We weren't friends, but did play pickup basketball together several times. He signed this for me while we were both at Notre Dame. Those were the good old days. I spent 4 years anxiously waiting to get out into the "real world", and almost every day since, I would love to go back!!

1992 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Jerome Bettis

image >>

Did you feel weird getting a classmate to sign something? I had Deuce McAllister sign a couple things for "my cousin" before his senior season and I just remember feeling a bit weird. We weren't friends but he'd be able to pick me out of a lineup, so I wasn't some totally random guy that came up to him in class, but still.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Mike, Congrats on your awesome new additions! I especially love the Doby. My 90 year old grandfather went and saw Doby play quite a lot in his first years in Cleveland and says he did endure some tough times like Robinson. Akso love the Garvey card...Hopefully I'll be able to get a signed Garvey card one day for my collection.

Thanks again for your great thread!

Brian
  • Options
    Seeing Bettis reminds me of him running over my Gators in the Sugar Bowl. That guy was a bull (especially in the 2nd half when the Gator linebackers were bouncing off him).
  • Options

<< <i>Did you feel weird getting a classmate to sign something? I had Deuce McAllister sign a couple things for "my cousin" before his senior season and I just remember feeling a bit weird. We weren't friends but he'd be able to pick me out of a lineup, so I wasn't some totally random guy that came up to him in class, but still. >>

Nah, wasn't weird at all. I was friends with Monty Williams (one of our basketball players that went in the first round to the Knicks and had a long career in the NBA), and got to play in a lot of awesome pickup games with guys like Laphonso Ellis, Elmer Bennett, Jerome Bettis, Ricky Watters, Stan Smagala, Rick Mirer, Raghib (better known as Rocket) Ismail, Irv Smith, etc, etc. etc., there was some GREAT athletes up there. They were all used to people occasionally asking for an autograph as it was not unusual for some of them to be on the cover or a featured story in that weeks' Sports Illustrated. I had a great experience up there. It was neat for me, because when I was in Jr. high, and high school, I used to look up to a lot of athletes that I'd see on TV like a lot of young kids do. However, once at ND, I quickly came to realize that they were just people like everyone else, it's just they were highly skilled in one area. Most of the times though, their skill was only in that one sport, and didn't carry over to other sports. They still suffered from the same worries, fears, emotions, etc, as the rest of us, and still enjoyed the same things the rest of us did, women, pizza, Nintendo, wierd pets, etc. My roommate and I used to wear Monty out on the golf course every week, and I could wear most of the football players out on the basketball court. However, Monty's gotten pretty good at golf I hear now image, and at basketball, quite frankly, he kicked all our rears (even Laphonso's some time). I've been relatively successful so far in life, but I do miss my days at Notre Dame a lot.

Mike
  • Options
    Here's another one that Nathan got signed for me during Friday's Fans Edge show in Illinois. Card was a BGS 4.5 crackout and is a nice card except for the centering. This guy retired when I was 3 so I don't remember him playing personally, but I always heard he was a terror on the field. The Monster of the Midway, 1966 Philadelphia Dick Butkus.

• Options
    This is my last addition for this weekend. Nathan also got me this card signed Friday at the Fans Edge show in Illinois. Card is a PSA 9 o/c crackout. Ken signed it for me as Ken "Snake" Stabler. Sharp card and sharp signature.

1973 Topps Ken Stabler

• Options
    Picked up a fun one. The number 1 competitive eater in the world.

(from wikipedia) Eating history - On July 4, 2007, he won the 92nd Annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, beating six-time defending champion Takeru "Tsunami" Kobayashi by consuming 66 hot dogs and buns in 12 minutes, which set a new world record. The following year, he successfully defended his title by winning a 5 hot dog eat-off after tying Kobayashi in consuming 59 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes. On July 4, 2009, Joey Chestnut outlasted Kobayashi again, by consuming a new world record of 68 hot dogs and buns and winning his third consecutive title

Chestnut, a San José State University student, entered the competitive eating scene in 2005 with a break-out performance in the deep-fried asparagus eating championship, in which he beat high-ranked eater Rich LeFevre by eating 6.3 pounds of asparagus in 11.5 minutes. That same year, during Nathan's Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest, he downed 32 dogs, placing third behind Takeru Kobayashi and Sonya Thomas.

Chestnut continued to impress the public by beating Sonya Thomas in the Waffle House World Waffle Eating Championship and placing second to her in a Krystal Square Off World Hamburger Eating Championship qualifier, downing 56 Krystal Burgers in eight minutes to her 57. He later beat her by eating 91 hamburgers in the Finals, a close second to the 97 hamburgers consumed by Kobayashi.

Chestnut qualified for the 2006 Nathan's Contest by eating 50 hot dogs with buns. As July 4 approached, there was speculation that 2006 might be the year when Kobayashi would be beaten.[citation needed] It was not to be, however. Although Chestnut turned in a great performance, leading Kobayashi through most of the contest, the final tally put Chestnut at 52 and Kobayashi at 53-3/4 (a new world record).

In 2007, Chestnut won the Wing Bowl XV, another installment of the annual Philadelphia event at the Wachovia Center. In this competition, he ate 182 chicken wings in 30 minutes, a Wing Bowl champion and record holder.

Joey also completed the gallon of milk challenge (to drink one gallon of milk in under an hour) in 41 seconds.[1]

On July 4, 2007, Chestnut and Kobayashi battled the field in a record-setting hot dog eating battle in Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, at Nathan's Contest. Chestnut knocked off Kobayashi 66-63, leading to the latter's first defeat in the contest in six years.

On October 28, 2007 between 2:33 and 2:41, Chestnut ate 103 Krystals in the Krystal Square Off World Hamburger Eating Championship in Chattanooga, Tennessee. This was Chestnut's personal best, and is the new world record.

Starting off 2008 very well, Chestnut has already set two new world records. He devoured 241 wings in 30 minutes at the Wing Bowl XVI in Philadelphia on February 1, and he ate 78 matzo balls during Kenny & Ziggy's World Matzoh Ball Eating Championship in Houston, Texas on March 2.

On July 4, 2008, Chestnut tied Takeru Kobayashi in the annual Nathan's Hot Dog Contest after eating 59 HDB in 10 minutes. The tie resulted in a 5-hotdog eat-off, which Chestnut won by consuming all 5 hot dogs before Kobayashi. The 59 is a new record in the competition based on the reduction from 12 minutes to 10 minutes. Chestnut, 24, weighed in at 102 kilograms (225 pounds).[2]

On July 28, 2008, Chestnut lost to Takeru Kobayashi in Chicken Satay eating in the MLE Asia inaugural event. He consumed just over 4 kilos to Kobayashi's almost 5.5.

On August 23, 2008, Chestnut defeated #2 IFOCE ranked competitive eater Pat "Deep Dish" Bertoletti in the 2nd Gyoza Eating Championship in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles, California. He devoured 231 gyoza, setting a new world record; he beat his previous record of 212, set in the inaugural event in 2006 when he narrowly defeated Sonya "Black Widow" Thomas (210). Thomas did not attend the 2008 event due to budgetary and travel costs.

On October 12, 2008, he consumed 45 slices of pizza, winning the "Famous Famiglia World Pizza Eating Championship", which was held in New York's Times Square. This would be a brief record until Bertoletti would consume 47 slices a few weeks later.[3]

On February 21, 2009, he consumed 10 and a half pounds of macaroni and cheese in seven minutes during halftime at the San Jose Stealth lacrosse game, beating out his contestants and adding another world record to his name. [4]

On July 4, 2009, Chestnut topped his previous record of 59 hot dogs and buns with 68, in the 2009 Nathan's Hotdog Eating Contest.

On Man Vs Food, San Jose, California. Chestnut ate Iguana's Burritozilla; a 5 pound, 17 inch burrito in 3 minutes, 10 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MII5bjJ8kbg

Without further introduction,
    2007 Sport Kings Joey Chestnut Silver 1 of 80

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    LOL.

Chestnut also signs TTM. My boy got his A&G signed this year by him.

68 hotdogs. barf
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Reading some of the things he ate would make any normal person sick!
  • Options
    Added a nice one yesterday. This guy seems to be a relatively tough autograph for being a non-Presidential politician, and when he does sign, it's basically an unidentifiable scratching of lines. Got a nice rookie with a nice, vintage signature, already PSA/DNA authenticated.

1969 Topps Basketball Bill Bradley already PSA/DNA slabbed

• Options
    Here's another non HOF'er, but this guy was fun to watch and had a TON of pressure on him to perform. Paved the way for Japanese players to enter the Major Leagues and excel. Tough autograph as well.

1995 Topps Traded #124T Hideo Nomo

• Options
    Bought this one from fellow board member GregM.

1979 Topps James Lofton

• Options
    One of my collecting friends got this signed for me at the Wayne Gretzky Golf Classic in Canada a couple weeks ago. It's his typical IP golf signature unfortunately, but nonetheless, it's the Great One. I now have 3 signed Gretzky rookies, two Topps and one OPC.

1979 Topps Wayne Gretzky

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Awesome as always.
  • Options
    Congratulations Mike.

Is that Gretsky's regular sig or does it vary?

I have that card with a very nice tilt.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations Mike.Is that Gretsky's regular sig or does it vary?I have that card with a very nice tilt.mike >>

Stone

Its a rushed signed while mving gollf course sig. Not nearly as nice as the sig he signs for his company.

Mike
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    800!
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards