Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• Nice Mike!
    Even though it took awhile I think it was well worth the wait, now its Dr. J's turn! I also just picked up his rookie,
    -Dan
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, That Bird Magic card is awesome. That card is one of my favorites of all time. To get both of them to sign it, I'm speechless.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Got a nice one in TTM. A great football HOF'er. This man played an amazing 26 seasons of pro football. One of the few players that both my dad and I got to enjoy while we were both young. A nice card to boot, was an SGC 70 crackout.

1954 Bowman George Blanda

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got a nice one in TTM. A great football HOF'er. This man played an amazing 26 seasons of pro football. One of the few players that both my dad and I got to enjoy while we were both young. A nice card to boot, was an SGC 70 crackout.

1954 Bowman George Blanda
    >>

Mike, another awesome pickup!!! Same with me and my late father. My dad grew up in Champaign, IL and the Bears were his team. As a kid I remember watching games with my dad when Blanda was playing for the Raiders.

Brian
    Here's another one that came TTM today. Another Raiders HOF'er in nice condition.

1961 Topps Jim Otto

This guy was one of the leaders of the famed "Steel Curtain". Also made one helluva commercial.

1971 Topps Joe Greene

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>This guy was one of the leaders of the famed "Steel Curtain". Also made one helluva commercial.

1971 Topps Joe Greene

image >>

NICE ONE MIKE ... but you HAVE to get that kid from the commercial to sign one along with Mean Joe!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Added a very tough one. The signature has bad contrast as you can see, but it's a fine example of a vintage Karl Malone. I'm excited to get this one.

1986 Fleer Karl Malone

• << <i>Here's another one that came TTM today. Another Raiders HOF'er in nice condition.

1961 Topps Jim Otto

image >>

I have seen many of his autos as Mr. #00

but maybe he did that for the ld card/ number ?

classic !

<< <i>

I have seen many of his autos as Mr. #00

but maybe he did that for the ld card/ number ?

classic ! >>

Yeah, I figured I'd get the 00, which is even his street address by the way, but instead he signed it with his pictured jersey number. I'm finding that you never know what you are going to get with these guys, that's what helps keep it interesting.

Mike
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    That Malone makes me jealous. Your collection is so sick.
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Congrats on the Malone! That is a toughie.
    Who is Rober Maris?

• << <i>These two players need no introduction. Quite simply put, two of the most amazing basketball players ever. The Magic Johnson made it's debut much earlier in my thread, but I just got the card back today from a Larry Bird private signing. Now I have to decide whether to go against my rookie's only, and add Julius Erving to it when he eventually pops up. If he's relatively affordable, I'll probably add him.

1980-81 Topps Larry Bird, Julius Erving, and Magic Johnson signed by Bird and Johnson only

image[/q

WOW!!! AWESOME DUDE!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
    This guy was a trash talking extraordinaire. Heck of a player too. Lot of fun to watch. Known as "The Glove".

1990 Hoops Gary Payton

• << <i>This guy was a trash talking extraordinaire. Heck of a player too. Lot of fun to watch. Known as "The Glove".

1990 Hoops Gary Payton

image >>

glad you decided to pick it up image

<< <i>glad you decided to pick it up image >>

Thanks again for the heads up on it.

Mike
    Who is Moe Drabowsky?? Until today, I did not know either. I had to buy this card last night in order to pick up another one that I wanted as part of a 3 card deal. I decided to do a little web surfing to find out about this guy. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was his rookie and he was definitely a character. My collection has a few eclectic personna in it to say the least, so in a way, this guy fits right in. The following story is compliments of the Associated Press from 2006. It was issued shortly after his death in 2006.

Moe Drabowsky, the prankster pitcher who delighted in putting pythons in teammates' shoes and wound up as a World Series star for the Baltimore Orioles when they won their first championship in 1966, has died at age 70.

Drabowsky died Saturday at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Medical Center in Little Rock, spokeswoman Liz Caldwell said Sunday. He had been ill with multiple myeloma, the Orioles said.

Drabowsky worked for the Orioles' organization the last 13 seasons as their Florida pitching instructor, overseeing players in extended spring training and on rehab assignments.

More than anything else, Drabowsky was known for being one of the most zany players in the majors. He loved to make crank calls from bullpen phones and once gave commissioner Bowie Kuhn a hotfoot. In a 1987 interview with The Associated Press, while working as a minor league pitching coach for the Chicago White Sox, he lamented that the game wasn't so playful anymore.

"Players seem to be more serious now," he said then. "I would tend to believe they don't have as much fun. You don't find the same kind of characters in the game today. Egos are a big factor. And the guys are making so much money."

The highlight of Drabowsky's 17-year career came in Game 1 of the 1966 World Series. He set a record for relievers by striking out 11 over 6 2/3 scoreless innings against the Los Angeles Dodgers, starting the underdog Orioles toward a sweep.

Drabowsky pitched from 1956-72 with the Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee Braves, Cincinnati, Kansas City Athletics, Baltimore, Kansas City Royals, St. Louis and the White Sox. He was 88-105 with 55 saves and a 3.71 ERA.

Drabowsky also was the answer to several trivia questions. He gave up Stan Musial's 3,000th career hit, was the losing pitcher in Early Wynn's 300th career victory and was the first Royals pitcher to win a game.

Yet, Drabowsky developed more of a reputation for what he did off the field.

Slipping sneezing powder into the air conditioning system of the opponent's locker room was a pet trick. So was putting goldfish in the other team's water cooler. He was a master at hotfoots and claimed Kuhn as one of his victims, lighting the commissioner's shoe on fire during the Orioles' 1970 Series win over Cincinnati.

Oh, and the snakes: Because of Drabowsky, they'd show up in shaving kits, lockers and many other places. During a reunion dinner in Baltimore, in fact, one of them slithered out of Brooks Robinson's bread basket and frightened him.

Drabowsky made his share of crank calls from bullpen phones, too. He used the one at Anaheim Stadium to order takeout food from a Chinese restaurant in Hong Kong. His favorite gag ever, he said, came at old Municipal Stadium in Kansas City.

"I had pitched there for a few years so I was familiar with the phone system. I knew the extension of the Kansas City bullpen and you could dial it direct from the visitor's bullpen," Drabowsky once recalled.

"One game, Jim Nash of the Athletics is cruising against us in about the fifth inning. So I call their bullpen and shout, 'Get Krausse up' and hang up.

"You should've seen them scramble, trying to get Lew Krausse warmed up in a hurry," Drabowsky said. "It really was funny."

Born Myron Walter Drabowsky in 1935 in Poland, he was a young boy when his family left the country and made it to the United States.

Drabowsky, by the way, once said he never intended to be a kooky character. When he broke into the majors, he actually was ostracized by some teammates for being too serious.

"I signed with the Cubs in 1956 for $75,000, which was a lot of money then," he remembered. "Some of the guys used to get on me pretty good, saying I was strange because I carried The Sporting News under one arm and The Wall Street Journal under the other."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Without further fanfare,
    1957 Topps Moe Drabowsky:

I believe this guy eventually gets into the Hall of Fame. Played decade after decade of baseball, and was pretty good at it as well. Has been a HOF signer for years TTM as well, and will still sign to this day with a quick turnaround time. Charges a $10 donation.

1952 Topps Minnie Minoso

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This guy was a trash talking extraordinaire. Heck of a player too. Lot of fun to watch. Known as "The Glove".

1990 Hoops Gary Payton

image >>

what a horrible rookie card on a phone in a suit????? i wish they used action poses for those.

nice pick up though
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Sweet pick-up!!! Its about time you got Minnie! image
    Got a great one. The card itself is in poor condition, but the signature is gorgeous, and has already passed PSA/DNA Quick Opinion. These exhibit cards were issued over a period of several years from 1939 to 1946. Williams has a 1939 Playball but those run a couple thousand minimum typically for autographed ones. I decided to add this example to have one of the greatest players ever in my collection in a not so expensive format. I like this one a lot.

1939 Exhibits Salutation W462 Ted Williams

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    mike.. your collection is truly sick.. an absolute work of art.. amazing
  • onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Added the same Williams.....................(mine is not signed though) INCEREDIBLE COLLECTION!

WTG MIKE ... GREAT ADDITION.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I hate to tell you this Mike, but that Williams signature is NO GOOD! Now please don't pollute your collection by having that forged auto with the rest of your incredible collection. I have a nice big sports room....err.....I mean dumpster
    outside that would fit into well. Please keep your eyes open for a PM with my addy. No need to thank me, I'm just trying to help you out.
    Seriously, that card ROCKS! I'm so freaking jealous! Awesome addition to a truly rockin' collection. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. image
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
    Some card had to be the one to follow the "Splinter" and this one came back TTM today. Card itself was a former PSA 8 o/c crackout. Looks great with a nice sig.

1955 Bowman Mike McCormack

I already have the Topps Griffey and the UD Griffey, but I guess you can't have too many Griffey's.

1989 Donruss Ken Griffey, Jr.

I don't have a whole lot of catchers in my thread, and came across this one so decided to pick it up.

1994 Bowman Jorge Posada

Nice pick-ups of some great guys!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, Incredible collection. I enjoy reading this thread. The Williams is a beauty.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
    This guy should already be in the Hall, but he's not. 7 time Pro Bowl selection, 6th in All-Time receptions. He'll get in eventually.

1986 Topps Andre Reed

My friend that I posted the pictures of his redeem team autographed poster of in another thread, got me this one signed over the HOF induction weekend. It's pretty funny to me that this is a VERY tough card to find signed (I've seen 3 and I own 2 of them) , and I've now gotten two in the past couple of weeks. That's one of the things I love about this quest, I never know what's going to pop up . This one has a much nicer quality signature than my other one. All 3 copies of this card I've seen signed are in poor contrast areas, and this one is no exception. However, it's a great example of "The Mailman"

1986 Fleer Karl Malone

• very nice! yea the mailman is a toughie
    WTG Mike ... have you become the Market Maker for this auto card? LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

I haven't kept up with this thread so I just looked through the last 10 pages. You've got an incredible collection Mike! Thanks for sharing and keep em coming!
    Although there was a Perez Steele postcard of him issued in 1989 and a 1990 Topps issue of him that was supposedly printed for his personal disposal (they surface from time to time but were never available on the initial market), I believe this is his first rookie card that was available to the public.

1991 ProSet Desert Storm George Herbert Walker Bush

• ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Awesome card Mike but it is his Proset card not the Topps one. Either way its a winner!
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards

<< <i>Awesome card Mike but it is his Proset card not the Topps one. Either way its a winner! >>

Whoops, you are right, I got them confused, I'll have to edit my post. Thanks!

Mike
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike you are an absolute machine!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • This has got to be favorite thread
    Bought this from a fellow board member. Former Notre Dame Heisman Trophy winner, and future NFL HOF'er.

1989 Score Tim Brown

Added my 2nd one of these.

1993 Topps Derek Jeter

• Cool cards Mike. Love the Jeter!!!!!
    A fellow board member got this signed for me at a recent appearance. Wrestling legend and WWE HOF'er.

1987 Topps Bret "The Hit Man" Hart

• Alright, I will admit, when I was younger, I was a huge WWF fan. The HitMan Auto is cool!
  • NICE!!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
    Purchased this from a fellow board member.

1952 Bowman Large Andy Robustelli

Bought this one from a board member as well. He's a 2010 finalist for the NFL HOF.

1965 Philadelphia Dick LeBeau

Continuing the gridiron greatness, I saw this one on ebay and negotiated with the seller and got it at a fair price.

1955 Topps All American Mel Hein PSA/DNA slabbed

If anyone happens to see this Earl Averill on the market anywhere, please let me know. I bought it a month ago, and the seller shipped it out (he gave me the tracking info and it shows he did ship), but I never got it. He was a standup seller and issued me a paypal refund in full a few minutes ago, but I'd much rather have the card eventually.