Home Sports Talk

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• I was going to ask everyone who they have liked from the Red Sox that didn't get a lot of national attention . . .

Sean Casey- Pittsburgh guy, I remember him playing in High School.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>
    Do you mean NICK ESASKY or TOM BRUNANSKY? image >>

Yes, I liked both of them . . . aren't they the same person though? image
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    El Guapo!

Just because it's an awesome nickname. Also, don't forget Trot Nixon in the underappreciated, but loved by Sox fans, discussion.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trots scrappy play will always have a place in Red Sox nation, how can ya not love that guy! Von mentioned Greenwell, honestly I liked him but he thought he was much better than he actually was- he still thinks Canseco should give him that trophy from 1988- kind of weird that he still brings it up.
    I think he has mentioned more since Canseco admitted his steriod use. I kind of feel bad for Mike, that was definitely his best season in MLB - and he lost out to a cheater.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Manny saga continues...

Now MLB is going to "investigate" all that went down during this period of Red Sox Nation turmoil. Seems there is an interest that perhaps the MANRAM mailed it in for a while in hopes of pissing off John Henry to the point of trading him. What is the point?

I hate that such a great talent is gone from our team. However, in view of what I saw on tv, my opinion is that he did dog it for a while. In essence (IMO), Manny became the tail wagging the dog and in a team atmosphere that simply could not continue. I am personally HUGELY disappointed that Manny could have taken this tact and allowed his massive ego to think beyond the team, the fans and the game. For these reasons I'm glad he's gone, but I sure miss the Ortiz-Manny combo.

So, the man from planet MANRAM is the new beloved idol in LA...so be it. We are indeed better off without his attitude and lack of performance. Oddly, the Manster is crushing the ball, 4 home runs in 6 games, as though he had an epiphany and realized he only has 2 months to put up the #s needed to reach his goal of $100m for 4 years. GL Manny, we all know you are a massive head case, caveat emptor.

Could be a long week for the Yankees, 6 games with LAA could either bolster or put a huge dent in their standings. Should we take 3/4 from the WS, a nice lead could be established.

Good weekend to all, enjoy da games.

This whole thing has such a sad ending, doesn't it? The nail in the coffin, for me anyway, was that Friday night game against the Yankees a few weeks ago. Manny takes himself out of the lineup, a few hours before the game. A game, mind you, against the Yankees. A game that saw David Ortiz return to the lineup after a few months, where he had spent the last week in the minors on a rehab assignment just so he could work his way back into the lineup even though it seems he won't be 100% until after the season ends.

On that day, his knee hurts? Good luck L.A. - you love him now, but just pray he stays interested in playing.

<< <i>This whole thing has such a sad ending, doesn't it? The nail in the coffin, for me anyway, was that Friday night game against the Yankees a few weeks ago. Manny takes himself out of the lineup, a few hours before the game. A game, mind you, against the Yankees. A game that saw David Ortiz return to the lineup after a few months, where he had spent the last week in the minors on a rehab assignment just so he could work his way back into the lineup even though it seems he won't be 100% until after the season ends.

On that day, his knee hurts? Good luck L.A. - you love him now, but just pray he stays interested in playing. >>

Agreed. That game against the Yankees FREAKIN' steamed me! If Manny hadnt done so much Yankee killing in the past I would have called for his head on a platter! I loved him as a Red Sox but screw him until he retires.
    My LAST comment on Manny...

From Manny's own mouth..."the Red Sox don't deserve a player like me".

OH Manny, how right you were. They deserve better than you, you know, professionals that don't dog the team, the fans and talk baseless crap for personal gain. So, glow in that LA neon, but get a clue, everybody knows what you did...GL with that $100m 4-year thing.

We are beyond saddened that your greed and UBER-narcissism oozed out of you in the final days as a member of the Red Sox team...perhaps that's the biggest word you just don't get "t-e-a-m".

Turn out the lights, the party's over.

Adios MANRAM

<< <i>My LAST comment on Manny...

From Manny's own mouth..."the Red Sox don't deserve a player like me".

OH Manny, how right you were. They deserve better than you, you know, professionals that don't dog the team, the fans and talk baseless crap for personal gain. So, glow in that LA neon, but get a clue, everybody knows what you did...GL with that $100m 4-year thing.

We are beyond saddened that your greed and UBER-narcissism oozed out of you in the final days as a member of the Red Sox team...perhaps that's the biggest word you just don't get "t-e-a-m".

Turn out the lights, the party's over.

Adios MANRAM >>

Al, Manny is as dumb as a bag of rocks- he cannot spell T-E-A-M ever!
  • No investigation. Boston can stop licking their chops....

No investigation

Was surprised to see that Giles declined to play for you guys. Boston was listed as one of his cities that he could reject a trade to, in his contract.

<< <i>No investigation. Boston can stop licking their chops....

No investigation

Was surprised to see that Giles declined to play for you guys. Boston was listed as one of his cities that he could reject a trade to, in his contract. >>

Im glad he decided not to play for us, all that clown is good for is a few walks here and there, he offers nothing more.

<< <i>No investigation. Boston can stop licking their chops....

No investigation

Was surprised to see that Giles declined to play for you guys. Boston was listed as one of his cities that he could reject a trade to, in his contract. >>

I'm not sure, but Giles would be on the bench (or in the minors, possibly) with Boston. Where would he play? He can see that, and I can see why he would block the trade. Plus, the Sox said they were only claiming him to keep him away from other teams, and the Padres were just testing the waters by putting him on waivers anyway.

Nothing to see here! image
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    was the "investigation" whether or not Boras had Manny slide since him resigning would pay his old agent and Boras would get nothing? I wouldnt put that past Boras at all.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I think it would have been very hard to prove, although we all know what happened. I will miss his production, but certainly not his antics.
    I am glad we have Bay. He fits the mold of a team player to a T.

Im past all this Manny stuff. Im just hoping we can win the division right now- and to be brutally honest I dont think so.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Im past all this Manny stuff. Im just hoping we can win the division right now- and to be brutally honest I dont think so. >>

if Ortiz doesn't regain his swing, I agree.

<< <i>Im past all this Manny stuff. Im just hoping we can win the division right now- and to be brutally honest I dont think so. >>

I am surprised - though I admit Tampa Bay is hanging around longer than I thought, you know they are about to fade. I do agree that we need Ortiz to hit (he is batting somewhere around .100 since the Manny trade), but I actually am more confident of making the playoffs than before the trade. Unfortunately, we are going to have to deal with the Angels at some point, and that is the team that worries me.
    Just one other thing to add, I think New York has less of a chance than we do- just wanted to throw that right out there incase there was any confusion.
    which desperate team will Julio Luso play for next year? No way he takes Lowrie out of the lineup if/when he returns
    We've got too many guys mired in slumps right now.

Since the All-Star Break:

Lowell is hitting .171, .222 OBP, 5 runs, 6 RBI, zero homers.
    Varitek is hitting .240, .377 OBP, 4 runs, 4 RBI, 1 homer.
    Ellsbury is hitting .233, .246 OBP, 6 runs, 5 RBI, 1 homer.
    Crisp is hitting .205, .283 OBP, 6 runs, 6 RBI, 1 homer.
    Drew is hitting .197, (but with a .383 OBP!), 8 runs, 5 RBI, 2 homers.
    Beckett is 1-3, 4.67 ERA
    Dice is 2-1, 4.91 ERA
    Buchholz is 0-3, 6.45 ERA

<< <i>We've got too many guys mired in slumps right now.

Since the All-Star Break:

Lowell is hitting .171, .222 OBP, 5 runs, 6 RBI, zero homers.
    Varitek is hitting .240, .377 OBP, 4 runs, 4 RBI, 1 homer.
    Ellsbury is hitting .233, .246 OBP, 6 runs, 5 RBI, 1 homer.
    Crisp is hitting .205, .283 OBP, 6 runs, 6 RBI, 1 homer.
    Drew is hitting .197, (but with a .383 OBP!), 8 runs, 5 RBI, 2 homers.
    Beckett is 1-3, 4.67 ERA
    Dice is 2-1, 4.91 ERA
    Buchholz is 0-3, 6.45 ERA >>

Ugly stuff- but a win tonight!
    Gotta love Dice limiting the BB's though- and only 1 ER is a good thing as well! He is managing himself quite nicely out there throwing a great couple of games over his last few starts.
    Yes indeed! And, a lot of those players (like Ortiz, Ellsbury, and Dice-K) had big games tonight. Hopefully, it's the start of good things for them.

While we are at it, why not throw in a good ole' LETS GO MARINERS! Up 5-1 over the Rays so far! image
    Too bad the Mariners choked!!! As long as we keep winning though, things will be fine!
    Looks like Wake is going to the DL with a sore shoulder. Hopefully its just a minor issue and Red Sox high command want him to get some rest.

<< <i>Looks like Wake is going to the DL with a sore shoulder. Hopefully its just a minor issue and Red Sox high command want him to get some rest. >>

When is Bartolo Colon ready to come back? He would be a logical replacement.
    Props to Lowell for the 3 run bomb

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like Wake is going to the DL with a sore shoulder. Hopefully its just a minor issue and Red Sox high command want him to get some rest. >>

When is Bartolo Colon ready to come back? He would be a logical replacement.
    Props to Lowell for the 3 run bomb >>

I thought Colon was coming along OK but havnt heard his name- agreed it would be a logical replacement.

It was nice to see Lowell do something- sorry but its been WAY to long.

<< <i>It was nice to see Lowell do something- sorry but its been WAY to long. >>

Indeed. He hadn't hit a home run since the 4th of July.

As for Wakefield's replacement, I don't think it will be Colon. I found this online earlier in the week:

"Former Cy Young Award winner Bartolo Colon has probably proved to be a bargain already, going 4-2 with a 4.09 ERA in six starts. But there is little likelihood he would be ready any time soon to emerge from a second stint on the disabled list, this one from a strained back following a wild swing in an interleague game against the Phillies June 16. Under a tight pitch count, Colon began a 30-day rehab assignment Tuesday night, but lasted just two-thirds of an inning, giving up three runs on four hits and a walk in a loss to the Yankees' Triple A affiliate, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre."

My money is on David Pauley as Wake's replacement.

Who can we call up to replace Buchholz? He just doesn't have "it" this year.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who can we call up to replace Buchholz? He just doesn't have "it" this year. >>

maybe Kason Gabbard?

last four games

DATE OPP W L ERA SV IP H ER BB SO
    APR 16 @TOR 0 0 2.41 0 6.0 7 2 2 2
    APR 21 @BOS 0 0 2.18 0 2.0 0 0 3 1
    MAY 08 @SEA 0 0 1.85 0 3.2 2 0 4 1
    MAY 13 SEA 0 0 2.12 0 5.1 5 2 1 2

• << <i>Who can we call up to replace Buchholz? He just doesn't have "it" this year. >>

Masterson ?

Lowell had a tough day at the office today.
    Colon is closer than you think to returning - he pitched three shutout innings today in AAA, and they say he will be called up after a rehab start or two. Charlie Zink, who is also a knuckleball pitcher, should be taking Wake's spot until then.

I don't like this at all. Wake had the same issue last fall, and it lingered for a while. He is having the best season I ever recall him having, and we can't afford to lose him from the rotation.
    Calling up Zink would be cool. Since he's a knuckleballer we could keep the Varitek/Cash rotation in order.

I don't think Masterson will be a starter again this year because they went to the trouble of converting him to a reliever.
    Masterson is the closest thing the Sox have to a reliable long relief arm, he stays in the bullpen. I'm in favor of anyone-but-Suchholz for a starting rotation spot. How about a four man rotation!
    Bucholz has been getting drilled lately. But Masterson is definitely staying in the pen, at least this year. Good point about Zink keeping the Varitek/Cash rotation going - if for nothing else than to keep Varitek healthier down the stretch.
    Looks like the winner of the Wakefield Replacement Sweepstakes is Charlie Zink. I'm actually looking forward to seeing a different knuckleballer pitch in a Sox uniform. I watched that RA Dickey from Seattle pitch (he also throws the knuckle) and I didn't find the movement nearly as entertaining as Wake's.

No Papi in the lineup tonight. Strangely, I don't feel too bad about that.
    I was surprised the Red Sox came through for Beckett tonight. For the longest time, it looked like were just going to roll over and (continue to) play dead. Lowrie, again, clutch.

So where will Luso play next year?
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So where will Luso play next year? >>

Any crappy team willing to pick up 25% of his salary, or possibly less. But there is a bright side -- the Sox might get a six pack of cheap beer as well.
    If I were Theo for a day, I'd get on the phone with the Red Sox Junior Varsity team -- er, I mean, the Dodgers. They obviously love picking up our castoffs and they really need a SS right now since Furcal is out. If they'd take Lugo they would be getting a scrub SS to fill in for Furcal and they'd have a babysitter for Manny. It's a win-win situation.
    Well, looks like the Yankees are in the toaster. Unless they make a miraculous comeback I doubt they'll even be a viable player in the WC competition. Now 9 games back, and looking lackluster at the plate, I suspect their lack of pitching (excluding Pettite and Mussina) tossed into the mix will do them in...no tears here!!

Bay appears to be a solid player and certainly has contributed. Nice to see Lowry playing so well...I think Lugo is packing. Zink brings pretty interesting stats from AAA, let's hope we get a huge break and this guy pitches well tonight. Gotta get a nice run of wins going.

Enjoy da game.
    Lets get another W tonight and try to go after these freakin' Rays! Losing Crawford and Longoria is a huge blow to them- we need to make our move NOW!
    I agree. Now is the opportune time for the Red Sox to close the gap. The Rays have arguably their two best offensive players on the shelf. Here's a look at their schedule for the rest of the month:
    3 at Oakland (I predict the Rays go 2-1)
    3 at Texas (1-2?)
    3 vs LA (1-2)
    3 at CWS (1-2)
    3 vs Tor (2-1)
    3 vs Bal (3-0)
    = 10-8 for the rest of the month.

Boston's schedule looks like this:
    3 vs Tex
    3 vs Tor
    3 at Bal
    3 at Tor
    3 at NY
    3 vs CWS

If my prediction on the Rays is correct, we'd have to go 14-4 to catch them by the end of August. (Luckily we don't have to catch them by the end of August though.) Anyway, to go 14-4 we have to sweep at least two of these series and then go 2-1 on all the rest of them.
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>Anyway, to go 14-4 we have to sweep at least two of these series and then go 2-1 on all the rest of them. >>

image You'll be lucky to go 9 and 9
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
    I didn't say I think we could do it, just that that's what we'd have to do to catch the Rays by the end of the month. I also said that we don't have to catch them by the end of the month too. Anyway, for what it's worth, I think we go 12-6 in this stretch.

<< <i>I didn't say I think we could do it, just that that's what we'd have to do to catch the Rays by the end of the month. I also said that we don't have to catch them by the end of the month too. Anyway, for what it's worth, I think we go 12-6 in this stretch. >>

That sounds about right. I still think the Rays will fade a bit in September, so if we just keep it close, the division is ours for the taking.
    what a great way to start the game tonight!
    No kidding. 5 runs and counting . . . Lowrie is turning out to be an RBI machine. 26 already?
    Um, wow? I guess the day off was good for Big Papi?