Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok Fellas!!!!!!! The 2008 Red Sox Championship run thread is back, due to the majority of my Red Sox friends votes we are starting Fresh!

Well this year we have a somewhat different look to our squad huh? Schilling on the DL hurts but in the long run it will be best IMO, lets get him squared away for a return after the All-Star break. Im really excited about Jacoby Ellsbury getting a chance to be our everyday CF and leadoff guy, Buchholz and Lester getting their shot in the rotation gives our team a "new fresh" look to go along with our meat and potatoes guys-Manny, Papi and the rest of our heroes!

Im ready to give JD Drew another chance, he did get alot of abuse ( mostly from me ) but he did turn it up for the playoffs and chipped in enough to help us win it all so Im behind him to start the new year off.

Well guys lets hear what you got to say!!

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Sweet. I'm so ready for this season and this thread to get into full swing.

I'm looking for big years from Manny (I predicted he'd win the AL HR Title), Papi now that he is supposed to be healthy again, and Youkilis. I also can't wait to see Delcarmen and Okajima setting up for Papelbon. Delcarmen has been lights out in Spring Training this year.

And I'm starting with a clean slate for Lugo and Drew. I want nothing less than for them to impress me.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget about Pedroia! Hopefully he has a better start this year. Dice K has to step it up with Schill hurt.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    I'm still depressed about the Pats. That to me was more devastating than the loss to the Yanks off Aaron *ucking Boone's homer in the ALCS.
    I figure I'll recover around the All Star Break.
  • Options
    Merc, I cant believe you think the Pats loss was worse than 2003? Believe me I love the Pats DEARLY and yes Im still devastated by that loss but lets put it into perspective here... Go back to 2003 for a sec, Boone hitting that HR and having that queer look on his face when his arms were in the air STILL makes me puke! At least last year with the Pats we have 3 Super Bowl rings already with the Sox that year we had nothing for over 80 years! And to get beat like that against the YANKS!!!!! No way Bro! That was one of THE worst IMO!!!!!!!!

OK enough of that stuff.

Like Mike said, I hope Dice can get into a nice groove this year as well- I think the pressure is going to be way less this year. He came into town last year and was a contributor to a World Series Win so this year he should be more relaxed and pitch more comfortably.

Also lets hope the Little Guy Pedroia doesnt have a sophomore slump! The pressure is way off but I hope this doesnt effect the "Drive" of the team, I would hate to think NY is more hungry than us...
  • Options
    Yo Perk, I think I don't feel so bad about the Sox is cuz we've won twice since then. Takes the sting out, if you know what I mean.
    I'll give the Yanks a win like that any day of the week if I know I'm going to sweep them in 4 the next year and then win 2 WS.
    With the Sox, you never have a sure thing, there's always some doubt in your mind. It's just part of growing up a Sox fan.
    But with the Pats, this year at least, we did have a sure thing, and we blew it. Maybe Arod will pull a groin in the home opener
    and miss a month or two. That'll cheer me up! image
  • Options
    I hear ya Merc, I hear Ya! Well lets move forward and GET ALL CHARGED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im really excited about a NASTY AL East battle with NY and the hope that comes with every new season!
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I am so stoked for Baseball again!
    My son and I are headed up to Boston in May for a couple of games. Doesn't it figure that we'll be seeing the Rays?
    Anyway the only other time he's been to Fenway he was probably around 5. He's 15 now so this should be a fun trip!

I predict big things out of Dice K this year. I would also love to see Manny come out HOT.

GO SOX!!!
  • Options
    I've been waiting for this thread for so long :-)

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Need:

Pedroia to start better
    Beckett to not be out over 2 weeks
    Ellsbury to live up to the hype
    Drew to play like he did on the playoffs
    Ortiz's knee to be healthy
    Manny to act like he's in a contract year (which he is)
    Lester to not walk so many guys
    Theo to let Buchholz start 25 games
    Dice K to come up huge in his 2nd year in the ML/AL - like Beckett did last year
    Okajima to look like he did the first 4 months of 06
    Lowell to play like a World Series MVP
    Timlin and Wake to retire - c'mon, they're like a combined 100 years old
    To see Lowrie up halfway through the season
    Schill to pitch one more game in his HOF career

Anyway...lots of stuff to look forward to this year
  • Options
    Just had my fantasy draft tonight . . . I came away with Youkilis, Drew, Lugo, Ellsbury, and Buchholz. They'll all be backups on my team, but I am still happy to have them.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, since my team is no longer in the NCAA Tournament (curse you Loserville image), it's now my wife and her Red Sox' turn to have the sports spotlight in our house. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Also to to celebrate the start of baseball season as well as the 2007 World Championship I am having a friend of mine paint the Green Monster on the wall in my workout room.
    I can't wait to post pics of that!
  • Options
    Papi & JD went yard in the first of 2 exhibitions against Japanese League teams. We won 6-5. A nice appetizer, but am ready for the season.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Last season showed that anything can happen with quality teams such as Boston, NY, Cleveland, and even LA.
    It was a very close playoff, and an awesome season for Red Sox fans as the World Series was another sweep, making
    the Red Sox 8-0 in their last eight world series games.

I think again we have a Red Sox team that has a very good chance of making the playoffs. However, the thing that really seperates the Red Sox from the rest of the teams is that they have some amazingly clutch guys in the playoffs. Josh Beckett, Manny Ramirez, Mike Lowell,
    and Curt Schilling (if healthy) are so automatic in the playoffs that the Sox to have the edge in any series.

My hope is that Coco becomes comfortable being a back up player. I think he is a valuable asset with his speed and defense. JD Drew will most likely miss a few games, and Manny will need more rest because he is getting older. Coco saved Boston many runs last year with his glove. Who knows, maybe Ellsbury will have a rough go, and Coco will get back as a starter. Having both Ellsbury and Coco on the team is much needed because speed and defense in the outfield is just as important as defense in the infield.

I think the worst thing that could happen to us is Varitek missing a lot of time. He still is the most important part of the team, because
    it is so hard to replace a guy like him.

Anyway, here are my predictions..............

Great seasons.......... Manny, JD Drew, Mike Lowell, Lester

Bad seasons............. Buchholz, Ellsbury (too much hype)

The rest will be just on par in my opinion.

I predict the Red Sox will win the world series over the Mets 4-0. I know it's hard to repeat, but this team is loaded.

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Great thread, here are some of my predictions for guys that may do more/less than last year. For everyone else, I expect roughly the same production.

C Varitek - could put up better than usual numbers due to contract year. Maybe .280 17/85.
    SS Lugo - Has to hit better than last year.
    3B Lowell - I hate to say it, but I think he will be MUCH worse than last year. I don't expect much more than .280 15/85.
    RF Drew - Huge rebound year. Obviously distracted last year with his son's health problems. I'll say .290 20/95 this year
    CF Ellsbury - Could contend for batting title because of his speed. I say no worse than .315.
    LF Manny - Back to his .300 35/110 self. He looks like he is in TREMENDOUS shape. Plus he wants them to pick up his $20m option
    P Lester - I can see 175 IP, 15 wins 3.90 ERA.

With the AL East getting tougher with Toronto, and even TB improving, getting to 95 wins will be tough. Luckily, they will only need 93 to win the division, which they will need to do, because the Wild Card is coming from the Central.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Okay, this is the thread I was waiting for!

I think Dice-K, Lugo, and Drew will all be better than in 2007. And, even with their performance last year, we still won. Also, Ortiz played all season last year on basically one leg - now he's healthy and my prediction for him is 50 HR's.

Best part though? Eric F***in Gagne is long gone.
  • Options
    LOL. The best move we made this offseason was letting Gagne go get overpaid by the Brewers. Seriously, did the Brewers management not pay attention to what was happening in the American League last year? A simple Google search by the GM would have brought up our thread where they would have ascertained that maybe there was something to all this "Gag-me" talk.

Anyway, I agree with the earlier post that reminded us about Varitek's health and how important he is to the team. I think I said this a lot last year, but I don't care if V-Tek hits less than Mirabelli would have as long as he's behind the plate calling the games. He makes our pitchers so much better.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not wild about Buchholz as anything more than a number five starter. I just don't get warm fuzzies that he will do well...maybe I pay too much attention to performance in the Spring? Luso and Blew need to do a lot of work to convince me that they are worthy. I assume Beckett will be back to form soon (no later than mid-April), so the staff is Beckett, Matsuzaka, Wakefield, Lester, and Buchholz. I do look for Beckett to be as good this year as he was last year; Matsuzaka to be a touch better than last year; Wakefield to be the same as always; Lester to be a bit better than a .500 pitcher; and Buchholz to be in the pen or AAA after a while. I sure hope I am wrong on Buchholz. I figure the key man in the bullpen is Delcarmen. This is his year. He may well supplant Okajima as the go-to-guy in the 8th. If Francona can use the Joba-rule when employing Okajima, Hideki should be fine and sub-3.00 all year. Papelbon will get even better, I do believe that. I think Lowell will be solid, but decline. Varitek will post unstellar numbers with the bat, but nothing worse than last year. Who will be better: Manny, Ortiz, Pedroia, I feel confident of that. If Youkilis gets rested every ten games or so, he should be a consistent .300 hitter all year and pop a few more homers. I will enjoy this season on DirecTV as I have already purchased the MLB Extra Innings package with some sort of fan pack added that allows me to watch a bunch of games at once. Not sure what it is, but I want to tune in any time the Yankees are losing (which I hope is 70+ times this year).
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Hi guys. Obligatory Yankee fan post here image
  • Options
    We need a group hug before the season...

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>We need a group hug before the season...

image >>

Is there room for me ?

How 'bout some of this too ?

Let's have a little of this too...........

And we can't begin the season without all of us doing this ............................

Where it began
    I cant begin to knowin
    But then I know its growin strong

Was in the spring
    And spring became the summer
    Whod have believed youd come along

Hands, touchin hands
    Reachin out
    Touchin me
    Touchin you

Sweet caroline
    Good times never seemed so good
    Ive been inclined
    To believe they never would

But now i
    Look at the night
    And it dont seem so lonely
    We fill it up with only two
    And when I hurt
    Hurtin runs off my shoulders
    How can I hurt when Im with you

Warm, touchin warm
    Reachin out
    Touchin me
    Touchin me

Sweet caroline
    Ive been inclined
    To believe they never would
    Oh, no, no

Sweet caroline
    Ive been inclined
    I believed they never could
    Sweet caroline
  • Options
    "CF Ellsbury - Could contend for batting title because of his speed. I say no worse than .315."

really? really... really?? come on.
    I hope for the best for this kid but lets give him a full season against the best pitching from the get-go.

Not sure if the Sox will truly utilize his speed. If he struggles, with Coco waiting to start who knows what will happen.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Let's score some freakin runs!!

It would be HARD to Lowell to have a better year than last year
    It would be HARD for Lugo to have a worse year...lol

I am expecting good things from the boys of summer!

BTW drew has been HOT lloks like he just hit a grand slam over the Giants
  • Options
    so JD Blew hit a grand slam in the second game against the Japanese teams...two games, two homers. Is this a sign of things to come or just a sign that injury is imminent?
  • Options
    How do you guys think Buccholz is going to do? He hasnt had the best spring, Sox Pitching coaches are saying hes arching his back too much or something? It wouldnt hurt for him to put on 10 llbs imo, I hope he can be effective this year and stay healthy.
  • Options
    Congrats on 8000 Perkdog. How bout a giveaway?
  • Options
    Thanks Merc! Not a bad idea on a giveaway... OK well I will think of something and get back to you guys on details.
  • Options
    I agree with Clay putting on a few pounds. He looks a little fragile. I hope he does better than he has been in ST.

• Options
    I'm optimistic about Clay. Will he have another no-no? Probably not. He's quite simply not that good.

While I give him a BILLION PERCENT respect for the no-no, had it not been for the STELLAR defense of the guys behind him (most notable ROY Pedrioa) then it may not have been a no-no.

He's got some good stuff and I'm excited to see him get more experience under his belt and progress within the organization, and in the league. He's got some TOUGH teams to contend with this year.

• Options
    "Take your shoes off, put your feet up..."

Anybody remember the old TV38 theme song - Hawk Harrelson & Dick Stockton? The Bruins had a sweet one too.

5:00 CST on ESPN2 tomorrow.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Good luck on opening day tomorrow boys! We're rootin for ya!

Man, I have a feeling I'm going to be about 500 of the 2,000+ posts on this thread by September :-)

• Options

<< <i>Good luck on opening day tomorrow boys! We're rootin for ya!

Man, I have a feeling I'm going to be about 500 of the 2,000+ posts on this thread by September :-) >>

Alan last years thread had over 3000 I believe so post away my friend and believe me I will be right there with ya!!!!!!!!!!

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Good luck Boston, hope the first game is a good one.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    ok so who's up waiting for the pregame to start in 45 minutes?

took the day off from work, rolled over at 3 am, looked at the clock and got up so I wouldn't fall back asleep LOL

Go SOX!!!!
  • Options
    Im up and watching until i leave for work.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    What a surprise, JD Blew out of lineup with an injury. Didn't someone predict that?

• Options
    Tough 1st inning for Dice-K. Looked like that HR rattled him a bit.
    A lot of suits and ties in the crowd. Didn't know that Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and
    other stars played in Japan as well.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    A's come back to take the lead.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>A's come back to take the lead. >>

maybe Kyle Snyder will fill Gagme's shoes this year image
  • Options
    The "Other" Moss tying it up in the 9th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    God I love Manny Ramirez and his 4 RBI's.

• Options
    Here we go, bottom 10.

Hold it down defense!

• Options
    image Manny being Manny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets lock it down Boys!!!!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    yeaaahhhh boy!!
  • Options

<< <i>yeaaahhhh boy!! >>

Teddy Touch! You all Charged up or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Good game boys.

Pap... hot the showers dude... what's up with throwing more balls than strikes?!?!? image

Red Sox, 1-0!

• Options
    Papelbon making it interesting but nailed it down! Great start to the new season!

imageimage
  • Options
    The start of "Pap being Pap" ???? HAHAHA

• Options
    despite the official status of the game, it was obviously just Spring training for more than a few players on both teams...mostly pitchers (and thankfully one lone Oakland baserunner)