Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• Options
    A nice win today. We had many wins like that last year too.
    I'm really interested in seeing Lester pitch tomorrow. I think he's the key to our success this year.

Beckett, Drew, and Schilling already hurting. Hopefully we can play .550 to .600 ball with those guys out.
    It's going to be a challenge, but I think this team can do it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A's come back to take the lead. >>

maybe Kyle Snyder will fill Gagme's shoes this year image >>

I like Snyder. I also liked Gabbard, but we traded him for some Cy Young winner.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edmund!!!!!!!!! I LOVE the New Avator BRO!!! I guess I should "Officially" Welcome You to RED SOX Nation Ala Collectors Universe!

Welcome aboard my friend! image
  • Options

<< <i>A nice win today. We had many wins like that last year too.
    I'm really interested in seeing Lester pitch tomorrow. I think he's the key to our success this year.

Beckett, Drew, and Schilling already hurting. Hopefully we can play .550 to .600 ball with those guys out.
    It's going to be a challenge, but I think this team can do it. >>

Agreed about Lester, he has some big shoes to fill but hopefully with the supporting cast he has behind him he will come through. Drew sat out because of a stiff back so hopefully a few days rest will get him up to speed. Beckett is out until April 4th? We can weather that no problem providing that time frame is enough to get him ready which Im optimistic it will.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I'm sleepy and I still have 8 1/2 hours before I get off work. image Thank God the Sox won!

Have I mentioned already that I think Manny is going to win MVP this season? He is on pace for 648 RBI!
  • Options
    LOL
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sleepy and I still have 8 1/2 hours before I get off work. image Thank God the Sox won!

Have I mentioned already that I think Manny is going to win MVP this season? He is on pace for 648 RBI! >>

And the Sox are on pace for like 162 wins as well!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and what's the deal with Keith F*&% mowing the Sox down? That's just wrong.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm sleepy and I still have 8 1/2 hours before I get off work. image Thank God the Sox won!

Have I mentioned already that I think Manny is going to win MVP this season? He is on pace for 648 RBI! >>

And the Sox are on pace for like 162 wins as well! >>

Just one down and 161 more to go, right? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    at this rate, we'll have 10,000 posts to this thread by the time game 162 rolls around image
  • Options

<< <i>at this rate, we'll have 10,000 posts to this thread by the time game 162 rolls around image >>

As Johnny Ringo said to Doc Holliday in Tombstone, "Let's do it !!!!"image
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Way to start the title defense off with a W!! How about another one tomorrow?
  • Options

<< <i>Way to start the title defense off with a W!! How about another one tomorrow? >>

• Options

<< <i>Way to start the title defense off with a W!! How about another one tomorrow? >>

We also need to mention that not only did the Sox win today, but the gentlemen from NY lost today too.
    All is right in the universe image
  • Options
    I was going to go in early tomorrow...maybe I will still get up and work from home for a few hours while ESPN is on? Yeah I think so...
  • Options
    Wow, it's early to be watching BB. Reminds me of the time I was in Alaska and watched Football at 9:00 AM.
    Harden looks good so far.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, it's early to be watching BB.. >>

Yeah, I hear ya. Very difficult for me too.
    I don't think I even got up to play wiffle ball at 6am when I was a kid during summer vacation.
  • Options
    And it doesn't help that the Sox have done nothing so far! UGGGH
  • Options
    ManRam goes yard. He is on FIRE!

Boston 1
    Oakland 4

Top of the 6th
  • Options
    Finally on the board. They didn't get going until the 6th yesterday either.
  • Options
    Keith F*&% does it again, mystifying.
  • Options
    I will always have a deep rooted love for Keith Foulk. Although he is really making me angry right now!

Oh well, tough game for both clubs. I cant wait for them to get back home and turn their clocks back upright, its actually a good thing we have a few more exibition games before we get started up again with games that count, this road trip will take about a week to recover from.
  • Options

<< <i>I will always have a deep rooted love for Keith Foulke. . >>

Me too. He was the MVP in my book in 2004, although Schilling and Manny were spectacular too.
    I always enjoy watching him pitch. His control and change of speeds is a lot like Maddux.
  • Options
    Am I the only one that thought Foulke had retired and disappeared? I live about 100 miles from Oakland and watching Foulke come into this game was the first I'd even heard about him playing for the A's.
  • Options
    I thought he was just taking a year off.

• Options
    He retired from Cleveland then out of nowhere he attempted a comeback and made the A's squad. It didn't suprise me he came back after retiring, it seemed like he had some issues to deal with and needed the time off. As I said before I love the guy for 2004 and I wish him the very best, except when hes trying to close out a game for the Sox!
  • Options
    I'm tough on relievers, I guess...I always hated F*&%. Even after the 2004 WS.
  • Options
    I thought he retired too.
    He was definitely lights out in 04.
    Now he's the enemy!!
  • Options
    I remember hating Foulke in '05, I think. But to be honest, my memory of hated relievers has been whitewashed for the most part . . . there's only room for one primary hatred right now and that mantle rests securely on Gagme's shoulders.
  • Options

<< <i>I remember hating Foulke in '05, I think. But to be honest, my memory of hated relievers has been whitewashed for the most part . . . there's only room for one primary hatred right now and that mantle rests securely on Gagme's shoulders. >>

Were you watching the Sox when we had Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley ? I wonder how you would have felt about them.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I remember hating Foulke in '05, I think. But to be honest, my memory of hated relievers has been whitewashed for the most part . . . there's only room for one primary hatred right now and that mantle rests securely on Gagme's shoulders. >>

Were you watching the Sox when we had Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley ? I wonder how you would have felt about them. >>

OMG the "Steamer" and Schiraldi UGGHHHH : Puking :
  • Options
    I hated Lee Smith too. Opening day blown save. NEVER forgave him! image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    BTW Foulke had bought a condo in the Ritz when he came to Boston, and he hitailed it out of here so fast he just dumped to the mortgage broker who helped him finance it for cost. At the time Foulke lftf about 50k of equity on the table, ran out of Boston!
  • Options

<< <i>

Were you watching the Sox when we had Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley ? I wonder how you would have felt about them. >>

Yeah, I was watching back then, but I was too young to have the cultivated sense of hatred I have now. In my youth, my blind rage was focused, somewhat misguidedly, on one Bill Buckner. Older and wiser now I see how we lost as a team and how Buckner should never have had to be in that position in the first place.

Oh well, those were grim times and this is a bright new era for us! image
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, I was watching back then, but I was too young to have the cultivated sense of hatred I have now. In my youth, my blind rage was focused, somewhat misguidedly, on one Bill Buckner. Older and wiser now I see how we lost as a team and how Buckner should never have had to be in that position in the first place. >>

image I couldnt have said it better myself! image

I still Hate Buckner though. image
  • Options

I still hate him too, but people have been telling me to get over it so I try to pretend it's all good. I didn't stop burning his cards on his birthday until 2004.
  • Options
    I always wanted one of these though image

Deleted out of respect for Paul.
  • Options
    I want nothing to do with Buckner. He was in there (shouldn't have been) and he was responsible to make the play (should have done so). Granted, what's a rookie pitcher doing in that spot, I don't know. 2004 and 2007 have eased, but not erased, the memories.
  • Options

<< <i>I always wanted one of these though image
    >>

That would be a great card . . . to burn. All those shiny chemicals make pretty colored flames.

Edited to prove that Perkdog's wish is my command.
  • Options
    Alan, Im NOT KIDDING- I respectfully request you DELETE that card from this thread, Von you as well. Seriously, PLEASE.

AGAIN, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you guys but we CANNOT have that card here-its not welcome!
  • Options
    Sorry, Perk. I don't know what I was thinking. image

BTW, it sucks that we had two regular season games and now we are just sitting around waiting for the rest of the season. It's like a never ending Christmas Eve and all you want is to wake up and have it be Opening Day!
  • Options
    Respect man, respect.

• Options
    image Thanks SO much for understanding fellas! image

I appreaciate it! And I have the same respect for you guys-as well as faithful memebers of Red Sox Nation on CU!

It does stink out loud to look forward to three Exibition games after the last to regular season games huh! image
  • Options

<< <i>image Thanks SO much for understanding fellas! image

I appreaciate it! And I have the same respect for you guys-as well as faithful memebers of Red Sox Nation on CU!

It does stink out loud to look forward to three Exibition games after the last to regular season games huh! image >>

I think our pitching staff could use some "free" practice.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Dos anyone know where the Sox are staying while playing the Dodgers in LA. I'd love to hang around the hotel bar and shake hands with a couple of them.
  • Options
    I'm sure you've all heard by now that Beckett had a good minor league outing. 4 innings, 1 hit, lots of k's.
    That's a big lift for the club.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure you've all heard by now that Beckett had a good minor league outing. 4 innings, 1 hit, lots of k's.
    That's a big lift for the club. >>

no Beckett, no World Series. So yes, good news.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm sure you've all heard by now that Beckett had a good minor league outing. 4 innings, 1 hit, lots of k's.

no Beckett, no World Series. So yes, good news. >>

LOL. I agree with you Barndog. I agree, but I don't remember you being so cynical last year . . . it's kinda nice. It reminds me of how it used to feel whenever I had a conversation with a fellow Sox fan, back when nothing ever went right for the team.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

no Beckett, no World Series. So yes, good news. >>

LOL. I agree with you Barndog. I agree, but I don't remember you being so cynical last year . . . it's kinda nice. It reminds me of how it used to feel whenever I had a conversation with a fellow Sox fan, back when nothing ever went right for the team. >>

I think the only time I am not cynical about NE sports is when the Sox are up 3 to zero games in the WS and have a ten run lead with two outs in the bottom of the ninth and Keith F*&% is not pitching image
  • Options
    but in all seriousness...if the Sox don't have a healthy Beckett, I don't think they stand a chance at the playoffs. I could be wrong if Buchholz blossoms more than I expect, Lester can find the edges of the strike zone, and Matsuzaka takes it up a level.