Home Sports Talk

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• Today's game will be very important to panicky sox fans. If Beckett leaves the game hurt, New England and sox nation north, south, east, and west will be experiencing malignant narcissim. However, if we leave for home at 4-3 on this brutal road trip, then all will be tucked into bed and have sweet dreams.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I know it's VERY early, but the Yanks don't scare me at all....Pettitte and Mussina look done, the kids (except for Joba, who is lights out) might not be ready....Giambi, Damon, Posada (and maybe to some extent Jeter) are getting old....at this point I'm more concerned about the Blue Jays, especially if Ryan comes back to health.

to be honest, I'll be happy with 3-4 after that road trip as long as Beckett is healthy.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We always need to be aware of NY and their "Mystique" no matter if we fear them or not, you know they will be there fighting us for the division..

And yes, I agree I will feel much better knowing Beckett is healthy.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Sox can lose today and I will still have lived through two World Series victories image

• << <i>the Sox can lose today and I will still have lived through two World Series victories image >>

Those two world series were sweet, but I still want more. I think this team is built to win. I believe the fans support this team so it wins.
    I think most of us want to win whether we're playing cards or baseball. But yes, the Sox can lose today, but remember that games in April are just as important as the ones in August.

And yes, for some reason I am much more concerned about Toronto then NY. It's very evident to me that they have 3 quality starters who can shut down an opponent on any given day. The Yankees do not have that IMO. The Yankees do have a stronger pen, but the Yanks middle relief is very suspect.

<< <i>the Sox can lose today and I will still have lived through two World Series victories image >>

Its such a great feeling knowing that isnt it! image
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>the Sox can lose today and I will still have lived through two World Series victories image >>

Its such a great feeling knowing that isnt it! image

You gotta love it!! >>

As far as Toronto's "big three" pitchers goes I am pretty certain Burnett will NOT last the season without a stint on the DL.. They do have a great core of talent in general but not as good as NY or the Sox IMO..
    image Ellsbury hitting his first HR of the season! image

I say hes got 19-21 more in him!
    image Not Happy right now. Toronto is really annoying me image
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Ugh. Beckett clearly didn't want to come out right before Delcarmen gave up the GS to Thomas. If you're Francona, you HAVE to talk to him before making the move. He had enough to finish the inning. He snapped of a 12-6 curve 2 batters before that was as good as any curve in the game.
    It sucks losing to the Blue Jays, but I am pretty happy with how Beckett pitched. I think he'll be alright.
    Time to finally go home to Boston!

<< <i>It sucks losing to the Blue Jays, but I am pretty happy with how Beckett pitched. I think he'll be alright.
    Time to finally go home to Boston! >>

he was great for four innings, where he should be at this stage of his spring training. Unfortunately, these games count. The guy the Sox are depending on as the first man out of the pen this year does not seem to be ready for that role. Maybe Aardsma will take over, maybe Tavarez? All I know is the Sox have significant problems prior to Okajima and Papelbon. Maybe they miss Timlin? Ouch.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and the Japan curse follows suit as expected. Sox fans ..... your team is GASSED from that STUPID Japan trip. Trust me ...... give them at least another two or three weeks before they shake the cob webs. They will ....

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<your team is GASSED from that STUPID Japan trip. Trust me ...... give them at least another two or three weeks before they shake the cob webs. They will ....>>>

agree wholeheartedly....if they can finish April at .500 or a game or 2 under, and be less than 5 back, I think they'll be OK.

JD Drew is looking good so far, I've been predicting a comeback year all spring, hope he makes me look smart.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I'm more worried about the Rays than the Blue Jays even after the behind-whooping they just gave us. I refuse to panic about the Sox right now though. It's been a LONG road trip.
    Its not even worth getting upset about actually, the first week of the season is a joke and the fact that we did do that ridiculas Japan trip Im not suprised about our broomstick scene in Toronto. Lets settle down and FINALLY have a freakin game in Fenway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drew got some rest in Japan. Somebody tell Papi that these games count.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • EstilEstil Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of Red Sox, I just got the 2007 Topps Red Sox factory set! image I previously also got the 2005 and 2006 ones as well so now my Topps run (1974-2007) is FINALLY current. I'm going to get the Red Sox factory sets every year and let my wife (remember, she's the Red Sox fan in the family; born and raised in Malden, MA) keep the five bonus Red Sox cards you get exclusively in the Red Sox factory set. Concidentally, 2005 is when we got married so each year I get these sets represents a year of our marriage (so for that reason we keep the empty boxes)! image Pretty cool, eh?

My wife got to see today's game against Toronto (boy does that SkyDome grass look wierdly colored for some reason...) and she wasn't too happy about it. image But she was pleased to hear the Celtics clinched the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs! image
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars
  • how's the view back there guys? image

all joking aside, its only a weeks worth of games, and you know we'll be fightin it out soon enough!
  • The Sox ain't winning it sorry guys. Yall sox fans are getting a lil crazy thinking you can win it every year.

<< <i>The Sox ain't winning it sorry guys. Yall sox fans are getting a lil crazy thinking you can win it every year. >>

UMMMM whoever you might be we dont think we can win it every year image Thanks for the laugh though!

• MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    That's right it's us Pirates fans that think we can win it every year.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
    We already know we won't win it every year. Just look at 2005 and 2006. Man, those were dark times.
  • NY killed it tonight. They're a tough opponent every year and they look pretty decent thus far.

Jeter pulled a nut tonight though... hope he recovers so we can strike him out a million times.

<< <i>NY killed it tonight. They're a tough opponent every year and they look pretty decent thus far.

Jeter pulled a nut tonight though... hope he recovers so we can strike him out a million times. >>

• So... who's throwing out the ceremonial pitch? I'm stumped!

• Ummmmmmmmm.....

So yeah... um... not sure if you guys knew this but uhhh.....

TODAY'S THE FREAKIN HOME OPENER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where's all the Sox fans at?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• BILL F-ING BUCKNER?

YOU CANT POSSIBLY BE SERIOUS.....

• Is Buckner really throwing out the first pitch ?
    I was expecting Hank Steinbrenner.
    Back from Work. I see we have a 3-0 lead against the "Tiggers" so far..

AND PLEASE TELL ME YOUR JOKING ABOUT BILL BUCKS THROWING OUT THE FIRST PITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 3-0 bottom 5 right now.

And it's not a joke... Bill Buckner threw the ceremonial first pitch.

Makes me sick to my stomach. What a joke.

I guess the owners figured that the drunken stupor (figuratively for most) of the home crowd with the rings and banners would be the only thing giving fans the ability to accept Buckner. Yuck.
    Honestly Im really pi$$ed off right now. That is the most RIDICULAS thing I have ever heard- Honestly can anyone give me one good reason they would have that clown throw out the first pitch? Seriously? Im ok with the argument that the loss of that series wasnt ENTIRELY his fault but the bottom line IMO it is more than its not. I do harbor bad feelings towards Buckner and I dont care what anyone has to say about it either and I am really angry with the Red Sox for doing this. Another thing, If Buckner had ANY self respect he would have declined to do this. Sorry guys but Im really annoyed with this whole thing.
  • I fall into the "forgiven but not forgotten" category when it comes to Bill and the 86 series.

This was a ridiculous and purposeless act.

Buckner should not be in Fenway park, ever again.

And yes, this has made me a bit angry.

p.s. 4-0 (us) bottom 6
    I thought I remembered seeing some 20/20 program or 60 Minutes do a story on Buckner and Mookie Wilson a few years ago. Apparently they have become good friends since they autograph "that photo" together all over the country. During that program, I could have sworn I remember Buckner talking about how he had no intention of returning to Fenway, or Boston for that matter, and how he had the old red _ ss about the way he had been treated by the fans.

I guess this just goes to show you that nothing is a better deodorant than winning because the fans gave him quite an ovation.

I'd like to say today was a good win, but what kind of a guidepost are the Tigers at this point? I'm happy with the result though. Dice had good numbers again.
  • Sox looked pretty decent. I was a little worried after that roller coaster of an opening series in Japan.

Tigers STILL look pretty weak. A 5-hit shutout with two errors? How do you NOT score a run in the Fens?

Nice to Dice-K pitching like a stud, especially after Beckett's rough start.
    I will take a win against a team that is severly struggling any time. Especially if it puts on a winning track!

GOD I STILL CANT BELIEVE "HE" was throwing out the FIRST PITCH today! image
    when B$^%&*ner was in the booth with Jerry and Don being interviewed, he was commenting about some of the play on the field -- Orsillo asked him to give it a shot -- anyway, he made some comment after a mediocre fielding play (on Youk's double to the left field line): "that's a ball that should be caught"

WTF, Bill? Who the &*%$ are you to make a comment about "a ball that should be caught"

no forgiveness, no forgetfulness here. Go back to Idaho and hide.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>GOD I STILL CANT BELIEVE "HE" was throwing out the FIRST PITCH today! image >>

Perk, It was NOT Buck's fault. The game was already tied. Hell there was still a game 7.

Please channel your hate toward the hideous Calvin Schiraldi, who had Knight on the ropes and threw him a meatball.
  • Ahh yes, but they had a two run (I believe) lead going into the inning.

Stanley was a mistake and Buckner was a mistake.

When a 9 year old little-leager can make a play and you (he) dont... there's something wrong.

Again, I've forgive, but not forgotten.

Buckner throwing out the pitch was an embassasment to all of Red Sox Nation and they should apologize.

<< <i>

<< <i>GOD I STILL CANT BELIEVE "HE" was throwing out the FIRST PITCH today! image >>

Perk, It was NOT Buck's fault. The game was already tied. Hell there was still a game 7.

Please channel your hate toward the hideous Calvin Schiraldi, who had Knight on the ropes and threw him a meatball. >>

Sorry Coin, but my bad feelings will not change towards him, as Ive said before I wish him well I just dont want any of those guys in Fenway- especially to throw out the first pitch of the season when we are handing out WS rings!! And "Those guys" include Stanley, Schiraldi, Gedman, McNamara, Mookie Wilson, Ray Knight.... Actually ALL of those guys!!!!!! image
    Ok if we can- lets move on and forget about this HORRID topic.

We got a nice win today to build on, like I said it was against a struggling "Tiggers" team but we needed to get on track after that horrendous Broomstick scene in Toronto.

Its Opening day in Fenway and we won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Good call my friend.

Moving right along....

Definitely a nice win today!
    One thing on Buckner. While I hated him for a long time, much of the hate evaporated in 2004. Much the pain from 1978, 1986, and 2003, while not forgotten is not nearly as painful. A couple of World Championships do wonders for your outlook!! 24 days until I am in Fenway!!

Bob....

• << <i>Definitely a nice win today!
    One thing on Buckner. While I hated him for a long time, much of the hate evaporated in 2004. Much the pain from 1978, 1986, and 2003, while not forgotten is not nearly as painful. A couple of World Championships do wonders for your outlook!! 24 days until I am in Fenway!!

Bob.... >>

Wait a sec... I think I'll be there the same game! 5/2 vs Tampa Bay?
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AND the Royals beat the Yanks 5-2!! A good day all around! image

<< <i>AND the Royals beat the Yanks 5-2!! A good day all around! image >>

You got that right! image

• << <i>AND the Royals beat the Yanks 5-2!! A good day all around! image >>

WOOO HOOOOO!!! What was the diagnosis for Jeter? Did he pull a nut? Or a hammy? What was it?