Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>As miserable as I have been about our team I will take a step back and think about last year when we went through these "periode's" of not being able to score runs, we weathered it last year and everything worked out fine. ! >>

Exactly, especially when both the Cubs and Sox have struggled since the All Star break due to sending so many players to that game.
    Factor in the Japan trip, and it's been one exhausting ride for the Sox this year. They are still in the playoff race lead, which is truly
    amazing. It's the dog days of summer, so everyone is getting a little tired right now.

Here's the good news. Go look at their August schedule. It's got to be the easiest (if there ever is one) schedule
    in the books. So as rough as their schedule has been up to now, they look like they can do some serious damage this month if
    they get their legs behind them.
  • Options

Pitcher W-L ERA IP H HR BB SO
    Pettitte 24-13 4.09 283.2 298 27 105 185
    Lester 20-5 3.93 283.2 291 26 119 206

Jonathan Lester and Andy Pettite's numbers through there first 48 starts in their professional careers.

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Earth to Theo: Every other GM in a pennant race is making moves to improve their team. Hello, Theo? Are you still there?

At this rate I feel like we're going to finish 3rd in the AL East.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to iron out a deal for Holliday right now!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Guys, like I said in the other thread - this isn't that big a deal.

Sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make. Let the Yankees sign all the washed-up, overpaid, overrated former all-stars they want (if they had gotten Texiera I'd have been pissed) - we have all the pieces in place already. If Theo does anything, we could use another arm in the bullpen, but that's about it.
  • Options

<< <i>Guys, like I said in the other thread - this isn't that big a deal.

Sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make. Let the Yankees sign all the washed-up, overpaid, overrated former all-stars they want (if they had gotten Texiera I'd have been pissed) - we have all the pieces in place already. If Theo does anything, we could use another arm in the bullpen, but that's about it. >>

Jerry for the most part I agree, BUT with Manny talking about wanting to leave it could cause a distraction- the kind we dont need as the race is getting seriously heated at this point. I cant stop thinking how nice it would be to have Holliday in our uniform too.
  • Options
    I was happy to come to Manny's defense the other night. It seemed to me like he was trying harder. But after failing to run out that ground ball last night when the team was getting no-hit . . . that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I want to see Holliday in LF now. Heck, I'd be happy with a Manny for Jose Guillen trade too. Why not trade disgruntled outfielders? Let's see how Manny likes playing in the middle of nowhere (no offense KC fans).
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>sorry sox fans image
    bad game for you; good game for the fantasy squad; CG for lackey AND a HR for Youk!

1. Sit Manny
    2. Trade for a quality bat
    3. Trade for some quality relief.
    4. Pray tampa doesnt wake up and realize just how amazing their season is
    5. Pray the Yankees dont make another move. >>

Sorry other move made.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>sorry sox fans image
    bad game for you; good game for the fantasy squad; CG for lackey AND a HR for Youk!

1. Sit Manny
    2. Trade for a quality bat
    3. Trade for some quality relief.
    4. Pray tampa doesnt wake up and realize just how amazing their season is
    5. Pray the Yankees dont make another move. >>

Sorry other move made. >>

I think we're going to go 0-5 on this list.
  • Options
    One things for sure I bet Theo and the rest of the brass are doing some secret squirrell stuff as we speak- I will be shocked if we dont make any move.
  • Options

<< <i>One things for sure I bet Theo and the rest of the brass are doing some secret squirrell stuff as we speak- I will be shocked if we dont make any move. >>

I won't be. Theo knows the Sox are well equipped to make a run this year. Look at our August schedule. Look at Beckett, Lester,
    and Dice-K for the playoffs. That is as good as any other staff. Beckett is money in the playoffs. He's the newest coming of
    Dave Stewart. No reason to make a move now. Everyone is chasing us, and our schedule is VERY FAVORABLE.
  • Options
    August:
    3 games vs. Oakland (53-54)
    3 games at KC (50-59)
    4 games at CWS (59-46)
    3 games vs Tex (55-52)
    3 games vs Tor (54-54)
    3 games at Bal (51-56)
    3 games at Tor (54-54)
    3 games at Nyy (59-48)
    3 games vs CWS (59-46)

I fail to see how this is a cake walk, especially since we don't seem to play Toronto or Baltimore very well. I could easily see us going 15-13 in August.
  • Options
    The Yankees have 7 games with the Angels in August, and we get the Yankees at home for four games, so that is in the Sox favor.
  • Options
    When do we get the Yankees at home for 4 games? The next series I see on the schedule posted on Yahoo shows a 3 game series at New York at the end of August and a 3 games series in Boston to close out the season.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    A comedy of F'IN errors
  • Options

<< <i>A comedy of F'IN errors >>

Its a joke right now. We better snap out of this crap soon our we are going to be the laughing stock of this forum image
  • Options
    SERIOUSLY GETTING AGGREVATED RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I mised your call earlier Paul, I got everything done I think. Bases loaded for Vlad the Impaler........
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bad news is: PAINFULLY OBVIOUS
    The good news is: the guys with the red caps go to NY tomorrow for a 4 game series

I'm hoping something is in the works for some kind of pitching help by tomorrow. I think they will hang with Manny for the season, then he toast.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    This is disgusting....
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry I mised your call earlier Paul, I got everything done I think. ........ >>

Great Ted, LMK if you need anything else.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Ugly, ugly, and very depressing.

Maybe time to change the title of this thread.
    Capecards
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Rays dealing..Yanks ROLLING, Joba the Hut shutting down....your best man on the mound gets murdered....OUCH

Sincerely,
    First Place
  • Options

<< <i>Rays dealing..Yanks ROLLING, Joba the Hut shutting down....your best man on the mound gets murdered....OUCH

Sincerely,
    First Place >>

Kevin being a Yankee Fan out of nowhere....

Sincerely,
    No suprise.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Rays dealing..Yanks ROLLING, Joba the Hut shutting down....your best man on the mound gets murdered....OUCH

Sincerely,
    First Place >>

Kevin being a Yankee Fan out of nowhere....

Sincerely,
    No suprise. >>

How much are you paying Big Papi to do what he does?

JS
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manny is now being a total ass. This is way beyond "Manny being Manny". Even his biggest fans in Red Sox Nation are turning on him now. And with the execption of Youkilis, Pedoria, and Lester, the entire team is playing like crap.

He is pissing away the twilight of a HOF career over a contract with team options that pay $20m a year. I wonder what Pedoria ($450 k per year) thinks when Manny does not run out ground balls and turns doubles into singles. Idiot.
  • Options

<< <i>Manny is now being a total ass. This is way beyond "Manny being Manny". Even his biggest fans in Red Sox Nation are turning on him now. And with the execption of Youkilis, Pedoria, and Lester, the entire team is playing like crap.

He is pissing away the twilight of a HOF career over a contract with team options that pay $20m a year. I wonder what Pedoria ($450 k per year) thinks when Manny does not run out ground balls and turns doubles into singles. Idiot. >>

100% correct. I have always been a huge fan of Manny, always willing to laugh about his unique style because of his Hall Of Fame production and what seemed like a fun-loving approach to the game. But I think he's even lost me at this point.

Schilling (as always) has great comments about this whole situation this morning. Here is the best quote, when asked is Manny quirky or a distraction:

<< <i>“..I’ve always wondered how we came to be OK with ‘… he’s just not gonna play hard today,’ and that was OK. We’ve come a long way, especially in this city as devoted and as much as the Red Sox mean to people, the fact that you could have a Dustin Pedroia, a Jason Varitek, someone who would bleed and literally play his nine breaths to make an out or get a hit or win a game, and have somebody at the other end of the spectrum from a committed standpoint, you know these players love the uniform, love the fans, and believe in Red Sox and what it means to be a part of this and then you have guys who really don’t give a [expletive].” >>

• Options
    That took some balls for Schilling to write. I agree with everything he wrote though.

It looks like we'll have to deal with this for a couple more months, but I don't think the Red Sox are even going to consider picking up his options now.
  • Options
    I am ready to puke when thinking it has come to this.

Kudos to Schill for saying the way it is.
  • Options
    It looks like he's staying. Now what?
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like he's staying. Now what? >>

I think Francona should stop putting up with his crap and bench him if he continues to dog it.
  • Options

Now we have to have big Papi have a little chat with him.

Maybe its just wishfull thinking and I hope its not but hopefully he will realize his wishes are not being granted and he will settle down and just play ball- with the thought of putting up monster #'s for the second half and make himself a hot commodity.

Manny will not get a free pass from me with this situation but I still think we are a better team with him-if his heart is in it, also Im glad we didnt just dump him for Jason Bay, a bunch of people were talking about that scenario which I think would have been a bad move.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, my thoughts exactly. Unless Ortiz, Lowell and other team mates can talk some sense into him, it could be a looooooong Summer. If Manny begins to dog it, I think the crap is really gonna fly. His recent comments on ESPNdesportes really uber-slams Red Sox management, hard to give any credence to Manny's rant. Seems like he just wants to piss them off bad enough to move him...after all, "the Red Sox don't deserve a player like me".

It is just beyond incomprehensible to me that a person of Manny's talent, beloved by fans, all he's gotta do is PLAY baseball, AND guess what??? They give him almost $125k per game!!! How on earth can you not be in some kinda nirvana with that deal? When he's gone next year, and maybe to a National League team, he's gonna have to pound the grass every day, not chill doing the DH thing. Sad part, we are in a horrible funk, this BS is clearly impacting the team. The selfishness of this man is just beyond over the top.

The ONLY salvation to all this is if Manny has a personal "come to Jesus" meeting and really turns the last 2 months into a super performance. He loves coin, and he's only gonna hose himself if he plays half ass for the rest of the season. Perhaps Scott Boras can crack the nut.

OTOH, our rivals are making nice moves, while we suck a tailpipe. I thought Jimmy Piersall was a piece of work, Manny easily tops him.

All I need now is to see Hansen or Timlin come in from the bullpen tomorrow and blow a lead.

Weird, very weird.

• Options
    The Globe reports he has been traded. No details yet though.

Edited to add: it looks like it might be a 3-way deal with Pittsburgh and LA with Manny going to LA and Bay coming to Boston. If true, I'll be STOKED!!!
  • Options
    Man, just shoot me already.

It does look like he's going somewhere now, but not sure where. I hope we get Matt Kemp, but I think we got Jason Bay.
  • Options
    Damn, it's the end of an era. Looks like I need a new avatar. image
  • Options
    Welcome to RSN, Jason Bay!! image
  • Options
    We are also giving up Brandon Moss, and Craig Hansen to Pittsburgh.
  • Options
    It is sad when you look at it as the end of an era . . . it was hard seeing Nomar and Pedro go too. But I think this is a good step. I'm excited about Bay. As far as I know, he runs out ground balls. His numbers and Manny's numbers this year are eerily similar too.

And I hear we "gave up" HAAAnsen in the deal too? That's great! Addition by subtraction.
  • Options

<< <i>It is sad when you look at it as the end of an era . . . it was hard seeing Nomar and Pedro go too. But I think this is a good step. I'm excited about Bay. As far as I know, he runs out ground balls. His numbers and Manny's numbers this year are eerily similar too.

And I hear we "gave up" HAAAnsen in the deal too? That's great! Addition by subtraction. >>

You know, I was really surprised to see Bay's numbers this season compared to Manny's - essentially the same. Plus, he's only 30, and under contract next year for 9M, and that is 11M less than another year of Manny.

Maybe it's 11M we can spend on Matt Holliday!
  • Options
    Ok what is REALLY going on?
  • Options
    Cbssportsline has it as a done deal- Manny to LA and Bay to Boston?
  • Options
    Im NOT liking this...
  • Options

<< <i>Im NOT liking this... >>

No, it's actually a good thing. Theo made the best of a bad situation.

I'm reading that Francona wasn't going to protect Manny anymore, and he lost the support of almost all the other Sox players. So, what we would have had was maybe Manny tanking it for the rest of the season, or worse. All that b.s. surely wouldn't help the team any.

It's still sad the way it turned out, but again - this is about as good as you could expect.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>It is sad when you look at it as the end of an era . . . it was hard seeing Nomar and Pedro go too. But I think this is a good step. I'm excited about Bay. As far as I know, he runs out ground balls. His numbers and Manny's numbers this year are eerily similar too.

And I hear we "gave up" HAAAnsen in the deal too? That's great! Addition by subtraction. >>

We had to really give a lot to get Manny out of Boston. I hate that we had to give up Moss and Hansen. I know Hansen hasn't carrried his weight but he's got some promise. I wish we addressed some bullpen needs too.
  • Options
    Here's something funny - Joe Torre now manages both Nomar and Manny (and Derek Lowe!).

Poor guy.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Im NOT liking this... >>

No, it's actually a good thing. Theo made the best of a bad situation.

I'm reading that Francona wasn't going to protect Manny anymore, and he lost the support of almost all the other Sox players. So, what we would have had was maybe Manny tanking it for the rest of the season, or worse. All that b.s. surely wouldn't help the team any.

It's still sad the way it turned out, but again - this is about as good as you could expect. >>

Bottom line if what your saying is true then yea its a smart move Im just not a huge fan of Jason Bay- he is a few years removed from his 30HR 20SB #'s. I think we could have done better had we seriously worked on a deal weeks ago.

Edit- I didnt realize Bay had 22 HR's so far, not bad I guess...hopefully he will be charged up about actually playing for a team that is trying to win!
  • Options
    I know this doesn't really appply in a real world comparison, but Bay has scored more points than Ramirez in my fantasy baseball league this year. I think that per AB, pound for pound, Manny is a far superior hitter, but production wise, I like Bay here. He's cheaper, he's got a better attitude, he isn't going to be a distraction, and he puts up numbers similar to Manny's (this year). Given what was available, I think this was a great move.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nomar redux. I like the move as they weren't going to use the option anyway, and he was a 50/50 proposition to play hard this year. I think they knew this would happen someday, so they got JD Drew. Bay is fine, and I don't think any of the minor leaguers are hanley Ramirez type players anyway.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Dammit, we still have Lugo!! image