Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So long Manny, I will always have a place in my heart for ya....

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So long Manny, I will always have a place in my heart for ya.... >>

Well put Perk. Certainly not the way I wanted to see Manny go, but I think the Manny being Manny thing kinda blew back in his face. He in essence became a cancer to the team and had to go.

I hope Joe Torre can handle the mystic MANRAM.

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Maybe when Manny goes on the free agent market we can pick him up for $12 million a year? image

Or do you think that bridge has been burned?
  • Options
    ok....here is how it will play out. Dodgers win the West, win the Pennant and advance to the World Series vs. The Red Slobs. Manny hits 9 homeruns and the dodgers sweep. The Sox re-sign Manny next year for 30 million dollars then trade him at the deadline for Nomar.
  • Options

<< <i>ok....here is how it will play out. Dodgers win the West, win the Pennant and advance to the World Series vs. The Red Slobs. Manny hits 9 homeruns and the dodgers sweep. The Sox re-sign Manny next year for 30 million dollars then trade him at the deadline for Nomar. >>

100% accurate. Nice job.
  • Options
    I thing you guys will really enjoy having Jason Bay play for your Redsox. While he is not Manny in his prime his numbers are very comparable to Manny's this year. Obviously no playoff experience. Jason Bay has always been a huge Pittsburgh supporter and a very positive player during all off our terrible years here. Your getting a blue collar hard working great clubhouse guy. I hope you guys win another championship for Bay. Tell me a little bit about Moss and Hansen that we received from Boston in the trade.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    For whatever it's worth your team may have made the best move for yourselves. While the lineup is clearly weaker, and the Yanks love you for ditching Manny, Manny just being Manny was pure poison cancer for your team and purging him was the right move.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thing you guys will really enjoy having Jason Bay play for your Redsox. While he is not Manny in his prime his numbers are very comparable to Manny's this year. Obviously no playoff experience. Jason Bay has always been a huge Pittsburgh supporter and a very positive player during all off our terrible years here. Your getting a blue collar hard working great clubhouse guy. I hope you guys win another championship for Bay. Tell me a little bit about Moss and Hansen that we received from Boston in the trade. >>

If Hansen can get the ball over the plate, he could be a dominating closer. The original plan was to develop Papelbon as a starter and Hansen as a closer. Brandon Moss is a decent, hard working outfielder, but not a superstar. But he might play better if he plays every day, who knows.
  • Options
    My impression of Moss is that he'd be a solid outfielder if he was given a chance to play everyday. I agree though that he'll never be a superstar. I could see someone eventually drafting him in a fantasy baseball league.

Hansen has potential too and he's got some sick pitches from time to time. He struggles a lot though. Maybe a change of scenery (less pressure) will benefit him?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wow - remember that plan? Papelbon to the rotation, and Hansen as our closer of the future. I agree that in a small market with no pressure, Hansen might be a closer option in Pittsburgh, and a good one too.

This morning there is a ton of information about this slowly coming out. Theo apparently met with team veterans on Wednesday, and they told him that Manny "just doesn't care anymore" and has to go. Plus, there is an article in the Herald this morning that details a lot of things Manny did not do when he had the opportunity to (like visit with young cancer patients like the rest of the Sox team did).

How could we not be a bit relieved this morning?
  • Options
    I bet no one is happier to see Manny gone than Kevin Youkilis. Could you possibly have two guys on one team that approach the game more differently than these two do? I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during that discussion.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>For whatever it's worth your team may have made the best move for yourselves. While the lineup is clearly weaker, and the Yanks love you for ditching Manny, Manny just being Manny was pure poison cancer for your team and purging him was the right move. >>

Hard to disagree with you!
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow - remember that plan? Papelbon to the rotation, and Hansen as our closer of the future. I agree that in a small market with no pressure, Hansen might be a closer option in Pittsburgh, and a good one too.

This morning there is a ton of information about this slowly coming out. Theo apparently met with team veterans on Wednesday, and they told him that Manny "just doesn't care anymore" and has to go. Plus, there is an article in the Herald this morning that details a lot of things Manny did not do when he had the opportunity to (like visit with young cancer patients like the rest of the Sox team did).

How could we not be a bit relieved this morning? >>

Manny's career numbers against the Yankees: .321 BA, .1.029 OPS, 55 HRs, 163 RBIs in 200 games

Im relieved! The ultimate Yankee killer has been traded from the Sox to a far away place along with a slew of kids and in steps a good player whos bat turns to a wet noodle with runners in scoring positon.

Dan Shaughnessy - "The Sox gave up a ton in this deal. They parted with their cleanup hitter. They gave up two prospects. They're paying Manny's salary. And they forfeited the two high draft picks they'd have gotten if they lost him to free agency. Bay is good, but he's not that good."

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow - remember that plan? Papelbon to the rotation, and Hansen as our closer of the future. I agree that in a small market with no pressure, Hansen might be a closer option in Pittsburgh, and a good one too.

How could we not be a bit relieved this morning? >>

Manny's career numbers against the Yankees: .321 BA, .1.029 OPS, 55 HRs, 163 RBIs in 200 games

Im relieved! The ultimate Yankee killer has been traded from the Sox to a far away place along with a slew of kids and in steps a good player whos bat turns to a wet noodle with runners in scoring positon.

Dan Shaughnessy - "The Sox gave up a ton in this deal. They parted with their cleanup hitter. They gave up two prospects. They're paying Manny's salary. And they forfeited the two high draft picks they'd have gotten if they lost him to free agency. Bay is good, but he's not that good." >>

Dan S. the assbag certainly is good a pointing out the obvious. The Red Sox certainly got the short end of this deal, thanks to the high motivation to unload Manny. Either way (do the bad deal or gamble that Manny will check back in) was "pick your poison" for the GM.
  • Options
    Im not knocking the Sox really, I am just really really happy that the biggest Yankee killer since the likes of George Brett and arguably the biggest Yankee killer of all time has been SHIPPED OUT! Good riddance!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Manny is not much of a Yankee killer when he refuses to play against them or simply takes 3 strikes when he does play against them. I'd rather have an inferior batter at the plate that is willing to swing the bat than a guy who wants to prove a point by doing nothing but end the inning.

As for what we gave up, I don't know how much you can call Hansen a prospect anymore. He's a known quantity in Boston and most of us got indigestion whenever he entered a game. Moss might still be considered a prospect but if we were to have kept Manny there would be no room for Moss anyway.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Dan S. the assbag certainly is good a pointing out the obvious. The Red Sox certainly got the short end of this deal, thanks to the high motivation to unload Manny. Either way (do the bad deal or gamble that Manny will check back in) was "pick your poison" for the GM. >>

Dan S. the assbag image

"Pick your poison" is as good a way to describe Theo's position as any I have heard. But who would have thought a few years ago that he could trade Manny and still come out without being lynched? Not me. That's how bad Manny screwed up in these last few weeks.
  • Options
    Jason Bay: walked and scored in the 2nd inning. Alright! Who used to play LF for the Sox?????
  • Options
    Let's score a freaking run! Just one!
  • Options
    Not a bad start for Mr. Bay. Wouldn't have been awesome if he'd hit that ball out? I think he'll settle for the triple and game winning run!
  • Options
    Now that was sweet!

Who needs Manny?
  • Options

<< <i> Not a bad start for Mr. Bay. Wouldn't have been awesome if he'd hit that ball out? I think he'll settle for the triple and game winning run! >>

Plus he made a great catch in left.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    In regard to Manny, I posted this in another thread, but I figured I'd see what my red Sox fan bretheren think of my assessment. Someone had claimed Manny was the second best player in the history of the club (with Ted presumably being #1). Here was my breakdown

I'll listen to arguments of #3-4 of all time Red Sox position players. It's Ted, Yaz and Foxx. And I would probably put Foxx #3 because he didn't play his whole career with Boston - if he did, he would be #2. Same with Manny - otherwise he'd be the clear #2 position player. It's likely:

1 - Ted Williams
    2 - Carl Yastrzemski
    3 - Jimmie Foxx
    4 - Manny Ramirez
    5 - Any one of Speaker, Rice or Boggs

if you include pitchers, Manny is somewhere near #8. I would go:

1 - Ted Williams
    2 - Carl Yastrzemski
    3 - Cy Young (192-112 2.60 ERA in 8 Seasons with Boston)
    4 - ugh - Roger Clemens (192-109 with 1 MVP and 3 CYA's with the Sox)
    5 - Pedro Martinez (117-37 with a 0.85 career WHIP in BOS)
    6 - Jimmie Foxx
    7 - Joe Wood (117-56 with a 1.05 WHIP in his career with BOS)
    8 - Manny Ramirez

Thoughts?

Edited to add: Foxx played 6 1/2 seasons in Boston and had a 175 RBI one season and won an MVP. Manny played 7 1/2 seasons in Boston. I think the MVP has to put Foxx ahead of Manny.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    i'd put Pedro over Clemens.

If you are looking at awards, he got hosed in the 1999 MVP race, because 2 NY writers didn't even put him on the ballot, and he got hosed in the 2001(2002?) Cy Young vote when Zito won. So they'd be even in those categories.

Plus Fenway was much more electric during Pedro starts than Clemens starts, and Pedro pitched better in the playoffs for the Sox.
  • Options
    Vito- Im the one that lobbied for Manny being the #2 Sox player ever. I stand by that as well, as much as I liked Yaz I still say Manny was better- he produced in the playoffs and was a Yankee killer.

1-Ted Williams
    2-Manny
    3-Yaz/Rice
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares about where anyone places Manny in the Red Sox history? Was he great when he was "normal" ?, yes, was he a major PITA when he wasn't? yes. So what he if he was key to the 2004 WS win? The TEAM won 8 in a row, and Manny didn't win all those games single-handedly. Why some of you guys like to live in the past about zillions of rings, Manny did this, Manny did that, is beyond me. All those games are history, I'm focused on now, not then. One poster claims that the Red Sox were in essence pushed back 90 years now that Manny's gone...that's just stupid talk.

Where would I place Manny? Dead assed last. He intentionally dogged us, need a list his recent faux pas?Perhaps you missed him standing there in the pinch hit role recently when the bat never left his shoulder and he took 3 strikes. AND, he gets paid almost $125k per game, c'mon guys all that history stuff is just BS. Did you forget about his recent slap in the face to Youk? Did you forget he pushed the traveling secretary (no spring chicken) to the ground in Houston over Yankee's tix? C'mon with the Manny thing, he became a self-created narcissist and had little or no respect for his team or team mates. When he came to play, you never knew if you were gonna get the Manny of great things, or the Manny with the sore knee ala Seattle and NY. BTW, Manny ended the LA game last night by hitting into a DP, 2 singles prior to that. I'll take Bay anyday over Mr. Me.

Already Manny is giving the now adoring LA fans a tiny taste of Manny being Manny with the selection of #99 (earlier reported he chose #28). In a post game interview, he said "I was just trying to be funny", which is part of Manny's problem, he wants to play Manny-ball, which doesn't always fit in with TEAM objectives. I watched him not chase a deep fly ball that fell between him and Andruw Jones last night. And, didn't look like he was getting the lead out running to first base, ala his recent stunt in Fenway.

Looks like Bay will for sure fill the void nicely. Too bad his triple wasn't a walk-off homer.

• Options
    BTW- Nice to see Bay get such a warm welcome from the hometown faithfulls! He was key in our victory last night and hopefully its a sign that it was a great move!

Poor Wakefield though, he pitches his heart out and these guys give him 1 freakin run and he gets kicked in the balls by a 9th inning HR so he cant get the win. We better start scoring some runs and get out of this ridiculas funk or we are going to find ourselves in 3rd place and the butt of a ton of ridicule.
  • Options
    Manny lobbied to stay?????

Give me a break!
  • Options
    Manny plays in an era with juiced offense and stats, diluted pitching etc. ManRam doesnt come close to Jimmy Fox. I will give him props for being a great hitter of his time, but thats it.
  • Options
    The Manny saga continues . . . now the story is that Manny lobbied to stay with the Red Sox after he found out that he had been traded? And he promised to behave for the rest of the season as long as the Sox agreed not to exercise his option?

There is zero doubt in my mind that this is another case of Scott Boras's greed getting in the way of what his client wanted (like A-Rod last year). From what I understand, Boras wasn't Manny's agent when Manny signed his current deal. Therefore, if the Sox picked up the option Boras doesn't get the commission. I can just imagine Boras telling Manny that he can get him twice the money and twice the years just as long as he causes enough problems for Boston not to want him back.

• Options
    Nice game by your new guy. You see, purge the garbage and good things happen.

• Options

<< <i>Nice game by your new guy. You see, purge the garbage and good things happen. >>

Its definately nice to see him contribute to a much needed win- thank you. Im just hoping he can somehow fill the void of the Manny we used to know and love, hopefully this is a start of good things to come.
  • Options
    While I watched the game last night, something stuck out to me. Mike Lowell, in a 1-1 tie game, hit a grounder to third. Knowing how important it was to get on base at that time, you could see him run out of the box giving 150%. As he crossed first base, you could see him grimace a bit, and then Francona came out to check on him and he had to leave the game. Afterwards, we find out that he has a strained right hip which has been bothering him for a month or so (but he missed zero games because of it). What a difference between that type of effort, and watching Manny barely run out a grounder in the no-hitter the Angels had going against us a few nights ago.
  • Options
    Did anyone see the highlights of the Dodger game? I guess he ran out some ground balls, but I laughed when I saw him lazily trot over to a ball hit in left field. image

Have fun, Joe Torre!! Has he cut his hair yet?
  • Options

<< <i>While I watched the game last night, something stuck out to me. Mike Lowell, in a 1-1 tie game, hit a grounder to third. Knowing how important it was to get on base at that time, you could see him run out of the box giving 150%. As he crossed first base, you could see him grimace a bit, and then Francona came out to check on him and he had to leave the game. Afterwards, we find out that he has a strained right hip which has been bothering him for a month or so (but he missed zero games because of it). What a difference between that type of effort, and watching Manny barely run out a grounder in the no-hitter the Angels had going against us a few nights ago. >>

That makes me also think of Bay's triple in the 12th. If that had been Manny running would he have been on 3rd. I know it's hypothetical but it certainly makes you wonder.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>While I watched the game last night, something stuck out to me. Mike Lowell, in a 1-1 tie game, hit a grounder to third. Knowing how important it was to get on base at that time, you could see him run out of the box giving 150%. As he crossed first base, you could see him grimace a bit, and then Francona came out to check on him and he had to leave the game. Afterwards, we find out that he has a strained right hip which has been bothering him for a month or so (but he missed zero games because of it). What a difference between that type of effort, and watching Manny barely run out a grounder in the no-hitter the Angels had going against us a few nights ago. >>

That makes me also think of Bay's triple in the 12th. If that had been Manny running would he have been on 3rd. I know it's hypothetical but it certainly makes you wonder. >>

Are you kidding? He would have been thrown out at first image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That makes me also think of Bay's triple in the 12th. If that had been Manny running would he have been on 3rd. I know it's hypothetical but it certainly makes you wonder. >>

Are you kidding? He would have been thrown out at first image >>

probably right...he would have been watching it standing at home plate!
  • Options
    Wow - Bay with a 3 run bomb!
  • Options
    Nice effort by Lester to get his 10th win too!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow - Bay with a 3 run bomb! >>

• Options

<< <i>Nice effort by Lester to get his 10th win too! >>

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice to come back to a minor win streak. I've got to find my Manny prediction thread...
  • Options

Jerry, it is strange that it took eight years for this to "stick out" at you but hey, better almost a decade late then never. image

• Options

<< <i>

Jerry, it is strange that it took eight years for this to "stick out" at you but hey, better almost a decade late then never. image >>

Well no, it didn't take me a decade to see that Manny was sometimes lazy in the field, took plays (and games) off, and generally not play the game as hard as most of his teammates. I always knew that. But like the Sox front office, I let his numbers make up for it. And they usually did. But I have to admit, his act was getting old.

It sucks not having him in that familiar 4 spot, but its nice to see an entire lineup playing the game the right way now.
  • Options

<< <i>Jerry, it is strange that it took eight years for this to "stick out" at you but hey, better almost a decade late then never. image >>

Well no, it didn't take me a decade to see that Manny was sometimes lazy in the field, took plays (and games) off, and generally not play the game as hard as most of his teammates. I always knew that. But like the Sox front office, I let his numbers make up for it. And they usually did. But I have to admit, his act was getting old.

It sucks not having him in that familiar 4 spot, but its nice to see an entire lineup playing the game the right way now. >>

Agree 100% We all feel this way, there is no doubt Manny will be missed but his act the past few months was getting reall old. Aside from his comical Manny being Manny episodes-by far one of the best was his catch and high 5 to that fan, that will be tough to forget!
  • Options
    I agree! Top 5 "Manny moment" if you ask me. I will indeed miss those.

But Bay is fitting in quite nicely so far. Couple more hits today.
  • Options
    Big series sweep completed! And Detroit just pulled ahead of the Rays, so we can pick up a game.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Dice=K today - not Dice-Walk

12 and 2
  • Options
    It was a huge game for us, but hold on about the Rays/Tigers- bases loaded with Longoria up- tied 5-5 image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dice=K today - not Dice-Walk

12 and 2 >>

Zep that would be Dice-k not Dice-W image

great game