Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Big series sweep completed! And Detroit just pulled ahead of the Rays, so we can pick up a game. >>

Nice sweep !!! Things looking good without Manny !!!
  • Options
    EdmundF - as much as I'm sure that you want your sigline to make sense, it just doesn't image
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manny with the Dodgers - .615 Avg. 2 HR's 5 RBI's

Edited to add: Bay is doing well also.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it seems everyone is happy- so far.

BTW I know your a Yankee Fan Nick but nice to see ya stop by!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Nick, I think besides MCMLVTopps most of us arent happy about the Manny deal, but hey it was the ole game of "Whose weinie is bigger" and John Henry won by a car-length. Bay seems to be fitting in well, reminds of of JD Drew in personality so far
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nick, I think besides MCMLVTopps most of us arent happy about the Manny deal, but hey it was the ole game of "Whose weinie is bigger" and John Henry won by a car-length. >>

image Now THATS funny .... and it is good to see that many Sox fans are not the happiest people on earth to lose a guy who helped bring two RINGS to a ring starved franchise image We all know he is a head case, no need to harp on it NOW that he is gone for crying out loud!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I would love to see Bucholz bounce back and throw a good game tonight.
  • Options

<< <i>I would love to see Bucholz bounce back and throw a good game tonight. >>

I don't think he will. I don't think Varitek and Buchholz are too comfortable with each other yet. I look for the kid
    to continue his struggles until the end of the year. I think Clay will need will still struggle a bit next year, and then
    start to take off. I hope the Sox have patience with him.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Edmund - I'm very curious . . . why do you think they aren't comfortable with each other yet? They have teamed up for a no-hitter already.

I heard on the radio yesterday that Clay has either one of the lowest or THE lowest percentage of fastballs thrown for strikes in the big leagues this year. I thought maybe that's why he has been struggling.
  • Options
    It could be just me, but watch them closely the next few games and look at how long it takes Varitek to flash a sign as compared
    to other pitchers. Plus, Clay just doesn't look like he did last year when he was throwing with a lot more confidence.
    Either Clay is not trusting his fastball this year, or he isn't comfortable with where Jason wants him to throw it. It's not a knock
    on Clay or Jason. I just don't think they're on the same wavelength. I believe Clay throws everything Jason wants him to, but I don't
    think either Clay trusts that pitch selection, or his ability to make that pitch.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet again a late rally falls short to a one run loss...12, TWELVE LOBs. And this to lowly KC, while Cleveland beats the Rays and Texas rallies to kill the Yanks. Opportunity lost once more with a shot to move up, especially with the Yankees heading to Angelville this weekend.

A mere base hit along the way would have found us with a win last night. Pedroia can't do it all. Drew 0 for 4, Ortiz 0 for 5...only fly ball outs got them an RBI. These two need to figure out what the hell they're doing wrong. Neeless to say, Varitek is just horrible at the plate, now batting .220 and sinking.

Sorry performance for a defending WS team. C'mon Red Sox, time to Cowboy up and get the damn job done.

AND, yes, I'm still glad the attitude is gone.

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Just read on Boston.com that Ortiz felt a click in his wrist in his last ab. Hopefully it's nothing...
    Papi is 1-15 since Manny left....UGGGGH
  • Options
    Tough game to lose last night, it would have been such a boost to see Papi hit a game winner there but instead he says he felt a "click" in his wrist? Not good by any stretch- agreed I hope he is OK.

Lets hope Beckett can shut them down tonight and get a win!

Oh and lets get some timely base hits with men on image
  • Options
    BTW

"LETS SCORE SOME FREAKIN RUNS"
  • Options
    Ortiz is in the lineup tonight, so hopefully nothing is wrong. Lowell is back also.
  • Options
    Ortiz is saying he's already noticed that he has seen less pitches to hit since Manny left. Frankly, I've seen a few to hit that he wasn't able to connect with since then, but I was curious what the rest of you thought about this? Is Papi being honest here or is this just a politically correct way to say that he misses his buddy?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ortiz has missed a lot of hittable pitches since his return. And unless someone else gets hot in the four spot, even if Ortiz heats up, he will get pitched around.
  • Options

<< <i>Ortiz is saying he's already noticed that he has seen less pitches to hit since Manny left. Frankly, I've seen a few to hit that he wasn't able to connect with since then, but I was curious what the rest of you thought about this? Is Papi being honest here or is this just a politically correct way to say that he misses his buddy? >>

There is absolutely no way around it, Paps is not having a good year bottom line. Manny leaving will not help either, Im sure he misses his buddy but his loyalty has to be with HIS team and he should be concentrating on helping us win, again he is not having his best of seasons by any stretch and the face of Red Sox nation I fear is changing big time- No Manny, V-Tek looking washed up at the plate, Schilling out for who knows how long? I just hope we can make a serious run at this thing again before we really start to think about making some serious changes. Dont get me wrong I love our youngsters but we need some help from our veteran bats.
  • Options
    V-tek is going to start challenging Ryan Howard for the crown of being strikeout king. It seems like every time I look up he is striking out to end an inning.
  • Options
    He just got a nice hit & run single. Nice to see for a change.
  • Options
    Another wacky play in left where Jason Bay almost got a 3 Run HR. Almost identical to the ball Youklis hit in Yankee Stadium last month. Check it out on Sportscenter!
  • Options
    Nice outing from Beckett and good to see some FREAKIN' RUNS SCORED!

You knew Timlin was going to give up that hit though huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm just happy Timlin actually got somebody out!
  • Options
    Timlin is amazing when protecting a BIG lead! image
  • Options
    Well a W is a W!
  • Options

<< <i>V-tek is going to start challenging Ryan Howard for the crown of being strikeout king. It seems like every time I look up he is striking out to end an inning. >>

He's in a contract year, and this is the best he can do ? Is he pressing because he's in a contract year ? He can not believe the Sox will be asking him back, can he ?
  • Options
    Isn't Varitek also represented by Boras? Maybe Boras made a mistake and sent an e-mail intended for Manny to V-tek in which he told his client to play terribly so that the Red Sox wouldn't want him back next year because Boras could get him $100 million and a 4 year deal?
  • Options

<< <i>Isn't Varitek also represented by Boras? Maybe Boras made a mistake and sent an e-mail intended for Manny to V-tek in which he told his client to play terribly so that the Red Sox wouldn't want him back next year because Boras could get him $100 million and a 4 year deal? >>

I know your kinda joking ( I think! ) Manny is a complete idiot IMO- as in NOT that smart, V-Tek is way too intellegent to fall for these games that agents play, not to mention I bet V-Tek has too much character and integrity as well.
  • Options
    I don't think the Sox asking Varitek back has anything to do with his bat. Of course, you would like to see him hit at least like he used to, considering he'll probably be looking for a 4 year deal. But there aren't many players as highly regarded on the team (by both management and fans) as Varitek.
  • Options
    LETS SCORE SOME FREAKIN RUNS BOYZ
  • Options

<< <i>LETS SCORE SOME FREAKIN RUNS BOYZ >>

• Options
    Julio Lugo better get used to riding the pine!
    WTG Lowrie!!!
  • Options
    Nice to see us giving Wakefield some run support! image
  • Options
    I didn't realize that Wakefield actually leads the entire staff in quality starts this season. More than Dice-K, Beckett, and Lester - I knew Wake was pitching a lot of games and getting no run support, but that stat still surprised me.

And, this kid Bay is pretty good. image
  • Options

<< <i>I know your kinda joking ( I think! ) Manny is a complete idiot IMO- as in NOT that smart, V-Tek is way too intellegent to fall for these games that agents play, not to mention I bet V-Tek has too much character and integrity as well. >>

Yeah, I was joking . . . but I am kinda disappointed that V-Tek has Boras for an agent.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And, this kid Bay is pretty good. >>

He has had only 1 off year which he was hurt. Why are the Sox batting him sixth though?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>

He has had only 1 off year which he was hurt. Why are the Sox batting him sixth though? >>

Francona seems married to the idea that Mike Lowell must bat fourth or fifth. Other than that, no good reason.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

He has had only 1 off year which he was hurt. Why are the Sox batting him sixth though? >>

Francona seems married to the idea that Mike Lowell must bat fourth or fifth. Other than that, no good reason. >>

I was being a little sarcastic when I said Bay was only "pretty good". If his first week here is any indication, we really won't miss Manny much at all.

As for lineup spots, Francona said he didn't want to put Bay in at the cleanup spot right away, to take the pressure off of him as being a direct replacement for Manny's bat in the lineup. It makes sense, and its worked so far. But Lowell is playing hurt, and shouldn't be in the 4 spot at the moment. Youk is okay there, but better near the top of the order. I bet Bay is in the cleanup spot this weekend.
  • Options
    I told you guys that you would like Bay. image
  • Options
    I don't have a major problem with the lineup tweaking that's been going on, but I'd still like to see Drew hit in the #3 slot again since he appears to be way more productive there. Papi really should be our cleanup hitter now that Manny is gone. The other thing to consider is that if Ellsbury is, in fact, finally emerging from his prolonged slump, he should be moved back to the leadoff spot.

Go Mariners!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I don't have a major problem with the lineup tweaking that's been going on, but I'd still like to see Drew hit in the #3 slot again since he appears to be way more productive there. Papi really should be our cleanup hitter now that Manny is gone. The other thing to consider is that if Ellsbury is, in fact, finally emerging from his prolonged slump, he should be moved back to the leadoff spot.

Go Mariners!!!! >>

Having Ellsbury hit 9th is like having a leadoff guy before the leadoff guy. image
  • Options

<< <i>Julio Lugo better get used to riding the pine!
    WTG Lowrie!!! >>

Can anyone here think of a less popular Red Sox player of all time other then Julio Lugo ?
    (Not including rental players like Gagne)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Julio Lugo better get used to riding the pine!
    WTG Lowrie!!! >>

Can anyone here think of a less popular Red Sox player of all time other then Julio Lugo ?
    (Not including rental players like Gagne) >>

Bill Buckner, although he earned his reputation with one non-play.
  • Options
    Rich Gedman
    Jeff reardon
  • Options
    JD Drew was right up there last year.
    Edgar Rentaria wasn't too well-liked either.
  • Options
    Bob Stanley AKA the "Steamer" LOL
  • Options
    this thread has taken a turn for the worse.

I prefer Heidi Watney to Tina Cervasio. Let's not talk of Rent-A-Wreck or other ghosts from the past, K?

imageimage
  • Options
    Good idea Barndog! And I agree 100% that Heidi Watney is the right choice image
  • Options
    I was going to ask everyone who they have liked from the Red Sox that didn't get a lot of national attention . . .

I always liked Mike Greenwell, Marty Barrett, and Nick Brunansky. I also liked Carlos Quintania but mostly because I liked the sound of his name.
  • Options

<< <i>I was going to ask everyone who they have liked from the Red Sox that didn't get a lot of national attention . . .

I always liked Nick Brunansky. >>

Do you mean NICK ESASKY or TOM BRUNANSKY? image