Home Sports Talk

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ORTIZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No kidding. 5 runs and counting . . . Lowrie is turning out to be an RBI machine. 26 already? >>

Julio Who?
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Just got home and is was 5-0, now 10-0 after one inning.
    How about some run support for Zink's MLB debut???

I'd say Papi's days off served him and the Nation well.

• TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Alright, I'm tired of this! How about we score some freakin' runs!!! image
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I guess Big Papi's slump is over!
    Crap - wtf is going on now? image
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget my post- We are in a backyard brawl right now image
    This is absolutely wild. And not in a good way.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea this game is very similar to my softball league games. Pretty comical actually image
    This is pathetic. If we don't comeback from this we may regret this later on in the year.
    UN-F-BELIEVABLE
    YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKK!!!!

I feel like I'm suffering from bi-polar disorder after that game. At one point I told myself that even if we came back to win it would still be a bad game because we blew the lead, but then Youk hit that bomb and I switched into manic mode. I SO wish I could have been at Fenway tonight.
    You and me both! Some friends of mine were at the game, and I'm sure they'll let me know what I missed by not going.

What a wild game! Charlie Zink will never forget that one I bet.
  • We get a starting pitcher with a 7.50 ERA in Wednesday nights game.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, Red Sox now have only 2 nicknames:

1. Luso -- sadly, last year was not an anomoly - $36mm down the crapper. With Lowrie playing well, hopefully Luso will stay on the DL.
    2. Suchholz -- the free pass from the no-hitter has expired.

Players formerly on the list that are off:

1. Chokeajima -- playing well lately, including stopping the bleeding last night.
    2. J.D. Blew -- Cooling off a little bit, but still huge compared with last year.
    3. HAAAnsen -- traded to Pittsburgh.
  • suckholz lol
    Chokeajima image

at work we refer to JD as NANCY Drew.... for all his ailments, aches and pains. This year though he has been solid.
  • Luso is ok with me. The guy seems immature and unfocused.

JD Drew was always ok in my book. Always solid defensively and never dogged it in the outfield. Had difficulties with his son last year.

Okie is great. Look at his season stats without his outings against the Baltimore Orioles. He is again pitching great.

Hansen just couldn't find movement on his ball.

Buccholz is just a kid. Greg Maddux was 7-17 his first big league season. There is great upside potential to Buchholz.
    If you're at work.............

Minnesota 4
    Yankees 1 middle of the 7th.

Abreu's brain shut down in a badly thought steal attempt. Delmon with a 3-run shot off Razzzzzzzzzzzner.

Yankees look lackluster, just don't seem to have a spark. I'd say if they lose today it may be the nail in the coffin, tough to make up so much ground in such a short period of time.

OMG!!!! As I type, Melkey Cabrerra just flubbed a fly ball in center field with Canoe just watching. These Yankees are sinking like a rock.
    I guess Byrd is taking Bucholz's spot in the rotation for the time being. Not a bad idea, I guess.
    Lowell on 15 day disabled list.

Yankees lose 4-2...last 10 = 3-7 imageimage
    EF - Good call on Okajima. I didn't realize that he'd struggled so much against Baltimore. I took out his Baltimore games and I came up with a 1.09 ERA against everyone else. It looks like the month of June was just a really bad month for him. He allowed runs to score in 5 of his 11 appearances. But in 13 appearances since the start of July he has only allowed 1 run.

I do have a question though: does anyone know where I can find stats on allowing inherited runners to score? It seems to me like inherited runners have been his biggest problem this year.

-Also- I'm almost glad that Lowell is on the DL. I think something's been wrong with him for a long time now. Hopefully his time on the shelf will allow him to come back fresher and stronger.

<< <i>
    -Also- I'm almost glad that Lowell is on the DL. I think something's been wrong with him for a long time now. Hopefully his time on the shelf will allow him to come back fresher and stronger. >>

normally, I think it is bad when Lowell is on the DL, but I think he needs the time. He has not delivered like Mike Lowell in the past few weeks...way too inconsistent. The defense will suffer a bit, but I expect Casey to man-up with the bat now that he will get some consistent PT. He's long overdue for his first homer as a member of the Sox.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    BTW

LETS SCORE SOME FREAKIN RUNS
    So far so good....
    Lowrie! That just doesn't get old
    um, Timlin...that got old three years ago. Theo, please put him on waivers.
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Bucholz is starting Sunday. Byrd is starting Friday. Bucholz is still in the starting rotation.

<< <i>Bucholz is starting Sunday. Byrd is starting Friday. Bucholz is still in the starting rotation. >>

You're right - they changed the story from this afternoon. Looks like Bucholz will take Wake's spot until he returns, and Zink goes back down to AAA.

Lowell needed to go on the DL. Forget the last few weeks, he has been hurting since the beginning of July. His plate appearances have just looked bad for a while now.
    Timlin makes my eyes bleed!!! No Red Sox lead is safe when # 50 takes the mound, geez, even Ray Charles could see that. Theo what the hell are you thinkin???? This guy has got to go.

Imagine, they pay him $500k per month.
    Timlin's last year on this team, PLEASE! Even better if it were his last month (last week, last day!)
    Agreed. It's time for Timlin to move on. Maybe we should give Chris Smith another chance. He did okay when he got the chance to pitch.
    Franconca is extremely loyal to Timlin for some reason. I think he'd wheel him out there at 75 years old in a wheelchair if he was still on the team.

<< <i>Franconca is extremely loyal to Timlin for some reason. I think he'd wheel him out there at 75 years old in a wheelchair if he was still on the team. >>

you saying Timlin has photos of Tito in "compromising" conditions? image
  • Has anyone noticed that our little friends from the south have not been visiting our thread lately image

<< <i>Buccholz is just a kid. Greg Maddux was 7-17 his first big league season. There is great upside potential to Buchholz. >>

I agree, a litttle more development at the back of the bullpen or in AAA this year, and another spring training should get him there -- he still had good stuff in a lot of those losses.

<< <i>

<< <i>Franconca is extremely loyal to Timlin for some reason. I think he'd wheel him out there at 75 years old in a wheelchair if he was still on the team. >>

you saying Timlin has photos of Tito in "compromising" conditions? image >>

Whatever he's got, Tito doesn't want it getting out apparently!
    I'd say that Ortiz is finally starting to see some pitches again.
    I'll say! Another 3 run bomb! image
    Just for grins:

Lowrie (not counting today)

AB HR AVG RBI R SB
    122 1 .295 28 12 0

Luso

AB HR AVG RBI R SB
    261 1 .268 22 27 12

<< <i>Has anyone noticed that our little friends from the south have not been visiting our thread lately image >>

Amazing isn't it.....

<< <i>Just for grins:

Lowrie (not counting today)

AB HR AVG RBI R SB
    122 1 .295 28 12 0

Luso

AB HR AVG RBI R SB
    261 1 .268 22 27 12 >>

the day Luso comes of the DL, he has to go on waivers.

• << <i>

the day Luso comes of the DL, he has to go on waivers. >>

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Dice-K !!!

121 games played - 121.2 inning pitched

now things count for him

at worse case 6th overall MLB lowest ERA, 4th in AL

<< <i>Dice-K !!!

121 games played - 121.2 inning pitched

now things count for him

at worse case 6th overall MLB lowest ERA, 4th in AL >>

If he could cut his walks in half, he would be in the Cy Young race. But I'm not complaining! image
    Well, with just 3 games back, we're in an "ok" position. The Yankees are toast, unless they have an incredible comeback, which is not likely, given their pitching and their inability to score key runs. Dumb base running is killing them as well.

We go to King George Stadium on the 26th for a 3-game series then the Orioles. The key to remember is that the Red Sox have a TOUGH September ahead. 6-games with the Rays and 3 with the Yankees to close the season, fortunately for us in Fenway. I'll look forward to it, I've become a big Robinson Cano fan!! image

I am still stunned by Varitek's abysmal lack of production at the plate. He is rapidly approaching the Mendoza Line, now batting a paltry .212. Drew has a nice OBP, but consistency isn't his strong suit. We have probably lost Lowell for well into September, Lugo is a non-item as Lowrie is a lock to continue to start. The bullpen is still shaky, and truly, when I see Timlin, everyone think of me, 'cause I'm having a minor seizure after hearing his name. I know he's like #8 all time on the reliever stats or something, but honestly, he's gotta go...I will admit to a minor glow in his performance last night, I guess a 10-run lead does that. Picking up Byrd could really be a big deal I think. He's against Halladay tonight, should be an interesting game. Buckholtz is on thin, thin ice. I think if he falters badly on Sunday he's gonna have to rent an apartment in Pawtucket. Ortiz is back on and that in itself could be the key to several future wins. Youkilis is smoking hot and has filled the 4-hole nicely. Bay is solid. Like I said, I think we're in pretty good shape. Did I forget Mr. I Can Almost Always Get A Hit, aka Pedroia. Is the guy good or what? Ellsbury brings the speed and Coco is doing ok as well.

Already Yankee's fans are bailing on their team, and if you've read my post "over there", you will read for yourself the pathetic excuses they can come up with for giving the Yankees a "pass" this year. Screw a pass, you're in or your out...case closed. It's that sense of entitlement they seem to have been born with concerning those who play in King George Stadium, now that the tide is rapidly coming in on their little sand castle, the're running away and reliving memories of "back when" on 8mm film. Even the Hankmeister is bailing on the Yankees claiming injuries did the team in this year. Sure Hank, like the Red Sox didn't endure too much, no Schilling, how long did we do without Ortiz, the #24 issue, blah, blah. But oh no, only the Yankees had these problems.

Enjoy da games!!

GO RED SOX

I look at it as four games back...all that matters are losses.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I look at it as four games back...all that matters are losses. >>

Peter Gammons agrees with you. He used to refer to the A.I.L.C. in his old Globe columns - A.I.L.C. is All Important Loss Column. image I miss those Gammons Sunday baseball columns. There was something nice about waking up Sunday morning knowing I had the Sunday Globe sports section with Gammons and Will McDonough to look forward to.
    We should e-mail him and get Peter Gammons to contribute to this thread.