Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems to me the movement he had on his fastball earlier in the season is now minimal to gone
  • Options
    correct me if I am mistaken, but I think Papi's slump is long gone!
  • Options
    ...and Beckett's continues
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Sweep!!!!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    very nice!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All is well in title town.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I agree Barndog . . . Papi looks good, Beckett doesn't. Beckett is starting to look like he did a couple years ago with a lot of Ks and a lot of homers given up.

Al - Hopefully I'll regain my #2 spot on the Red Sox registry in about two weeks. I'm looking at a few cards so . . . we'll see. image
  • Options

<< <i>I agree Barndog . . . Papi looks good, Beckett doesn't. Beckett is starting to look like he did a couple years ago with a lot of Ks and a lot of homers given up.

Al - Hopefully I'll regain my #2 spot on the Red Sox registry in about two weeks. I'm looking at a few cards so . . . we'll see. image >>

let's see if Farrell can earn his money with figuring out Beckett, Papelbon, and DelCarmen!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like Papi, Beckett will be fine!!!!!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red Sox looking solid. Papi has found his groove...but, where's Manny? Is it me, or is Drew just sorta so-so? No consistency, and for his pay check he should be doing a lot more at the plate.

I almost feel bad for the Yankee's fans...key word "almost". I just don't have the heart to sling mud over on their thread. Their team is a total mess and no relief in sight. What a slamming they took from the Mets on King George's turf. How long before Girardi is toast?

Hey Von...sounds like you're gonna break out the wallet and make a move on the Registry. Maybe I better get busy. GL - Al
  • Options

<< <i>Red Sox looking solid. Papi has found his groove...but, where's Manny? Is it me, or is Drew just sorta so-so? No consistency, and for his pay check he should be doing a lot more at the plate.

I almost feel bad for the Yankee's fans...key word "almost". I just don't have the heart to sling mud over on their thread. Their team is a total mess and no relief in sight. What a slamming they took from the Mets on King George's turf. How long before Girardi is toast?

Hey Von...sounds like you're gonna break out the wallet and make a move on the Registry. Maybe I better get busy. GL - Al >>

not just you...plenty of people here and in RSN think Drew has been so-so or worse for more than a year now. One good swing of the bat in the 2007 playoffs, but not much more. I'd be glad to see him and Luso gone soon, but I think Theo would only agree with me on Luso.

And yes, Manny needs to relearn how to make consistent, solid contact with the baseball. Surpisingly, he is playing an excellent left field even while not hitting.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree Barndog . . . Papi looks good, Beckett doesn't. Beckett is starting to look like he did a couple years ago with a lot of Ks and a lot of homers given up.

Al - Hopefully I'll regain my #2 spot on the Red Sox registry in about two weeks. I'm looking at a few cards so . . . we'll see. image >>

let's see if Farrell can earn his money with figuring out Beckett, Papelbon, and DelCarmen! >>

Pap is fine -- the first BSV was Luso's fault, and the second was a 2 run single that was a good pitch that the batter reached for and blooped into left field. Yeah, he gave up a hit and walked a guy before that, but he was actually not pitching bad. He can't strikeout every batter, even though fans think he should.

DelCarmen is a problem -- Farrell will earn his $$ if he develops Del into a relaible setup pitcher. They should give up on Hansen though -- he is a lost cause.
  • Options
    Well I never thought I would be saying this but we have a 1 game lead on the...........................................RAYS? image

• Options
    maybe Hansen is up to "show" before the trade deadline? Please, Luso too!
  • Options

<< <i>maybe Hansen is up to "show" before the trade deadline? Please, Luso too! >>

Well, before he came up, he might have had some trade value, but now they might be able to get a six pack of PBR for him.
  • Options
    Trust me Luso is not going anywhere image

Would you be interested in his services for 8 Mill a year? Exactly. Thats why he will not be going anywhere.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>maybe Hansen is up to "show" before the trade deadline? Please, Luso too! >>

Well, before he came up, he might have had some trade value, but now they might be able to get a six pack of PBR for him. >>

cool, I'll throw in Luso too and take just three PBRs
  • Options
    imageimage

Gotta say the Beer looks better!

• Options
    Yeah, at least the beer has won a blue ribbon!

I think that's it high time we stormed the gates and demanded that Florida traded Hanley Ramirez back to us. Especially now that they've signed him to that nice and affordable long-term contract. We'll give them Lugo, Drew, Timlin, and Delcarmen.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, I think we're stuck with Drew...wasn't it 6 years at $13m per? To tough to unload I think. But, to me, the guy is far too inconsitent for what he's doing at the plate. Oddly, I don't think I've ever seen him joking around in the dugout, like many do. Just and odd kinda guy to me, pretty robotic. I'm sure the wheels are turning, I wouldn't be surprised at any changes that would include Timlin, Lugo and I gotta dump Hansen. Who knows?

Not to generate hate mail, but whaddya ya think about the Yankee's situation? How embarrassing if they continue on this slide and then the AS game is on us, last year of Yankee stadium, blah, blah. Swept at home by the Mets! BIG ouch!! I really wonder if Hank Steinbrenner is gonna go whacko and start firing people. Unless there is a major recovery and soon, I think something is gonna happen.

Hope Lester has it tonight, Red Sox playing some good ball. CAVEAT, KC has often been tough to beat!
  • Options
    Al, thats spot on as far as my feelings towards Drew goes- I made a huge stink about it in last years thread. Again the guy has the same expression on his face wether he hits a game winning HR or waves at a bad pitch to strike out and end a rally- I dont care one bit if thats his "make up" or not, act like you give a crap.

Well I promised I would lay off him this year and I have but the bottom line is I just dont like him.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    LESTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    HE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job...Congratulations to Jon Lesterimage

Steve
  • Options
    AWESOME.

I just wish it happened last week or next week because the guy I'm playing in fantasy baseball just scored 114 points on me. Oh well, it's the best -114 point deficit of my fantasy baseball life.
  • Options
    Lester at his finest, very special game to watch!
  • Options

Im yelling and screaming after each out and my girl comes in and asks me whats going on- not cool she had no idea what a no hitter was and I kept telling her to wait until after the game so I wouldnt jinx him! She just had this weird look on her face but clapped whenever I screamed! image
  • Options
    Here's a few pics from our trip a couple of weeks ago!

• Options
    I was having an intimate moment in the car...while listening to the eighth inning. My g/f turned the radio down for a sec, and I must have given her the look of death! She put the radio back up and said "oh sorry I know you are listening to the game"

Another great W for me and Lester!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atta Boy Lester!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Outstanding!! image

2 No-Hitters in 2 years!!

And the Mets have not even had ONE in the entire history of the team!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Great pitcher - great guy. Met him in LA - couldn't have been nicer. Ecstatic for him!!!
  • Options
    Man, you Redsox guys are blessed 2 no hitters and a World Series. All in less than one year. Thanks for letting a Pirate fan chip in, although the Sox are my favorite AL team.
  • Options
    I hate to take some of the spotlight away from Lester, but how cool is it that Varitek has now caught four no-hitters? I think ESPN reported that was a record. I was browsing baseball-reference.com and I saw that Varitek actually caught a fifth no-hitter on October 1, 2006 which was thrown by Devern Hansack against the Orioles. The only problem was that it was only a 5-inning game so it doesn't count. Anyway, as a Red Sox fan I am just really thankful that I've had the privelege to watch Varitek call games. He might not have the offensive numbers to land him in the Hall of Fame, but I can't think of another catcher that I would have rather had on my team over the past 10 years or so.
  • Options

<< <i>I hate to take some of the spotlight away from Lester, but how cool is it that Varitek has now caught four no-hitters? I think ESPN reported that was a record. I was browsing baseball-reference.com and I saw that Varitek actually caught a fifth no-hitter on October 1, 2006 which was thrown by Devern Hansack against the Orioles. The only problem was that it was only a 5-inning game so it doesn't count. Anyway, as a Red Sox fan I am just really thankful that I've had the privelege to watch Varitek call games. He might not have the offensive numbers to land him in the Hall of Fame, but I can't think of another catcher that I would have rather had on my team over the past 10 years or so. >>

\

Yeah, I was making this point to a buddy last night...he'll get a little more consideration than you'd think but has no shot of getting in. Don't get me wrong, there are guys with lower career OPS (about .790) that are in for defense - like Mazeroski - but some of his numbers are just too low. The one that will really kill him is only being an All Star twice. If I'm not mistaken, that would be the lowest total for anyone in since 1950. I also don't think he ever hit .300, and his caught stealing ratio has never been particularly high.

I love Tek but I think he's due for more "local hero" status than Hall of Fame discussions.
  • Options
    I agree with you, he's doesn't have a legitimate shot at the Hall, and that's fine . . . I just think that when it comes to calling the game and handling pitchers, nobody equals V-Tek these days.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with you, he's doesn't have a legitimate shot at the Hall, and that's fine . . . I just think that when it comes to calling the game and handling pitchers, nobody equals V-Tek these days. >>

Exactly. The way he set up that last batter was a prime example.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more - I love having the guy on my team. Nothing wrong with being a local hero and a candidate for the Hall of Very Good.
  • Options
    no doubt v-tek is gonna go in the hall...of very good!!

now

LETS
    SCORE
    SOME
    FREAKIN
    RUNS
  • Options

<< <i>no doubt v-tek is gonna go in the hall...of very good!!

now

LETS
    SCORE
    SOME
    FREAKIN
    RUNS >>

• Options
    Varitek won't make the Hall, but probably the Red Sox Hall of Fame for sure.

How about Masterson tonight? Nice follow up to Lester's no-hitter!
  • Options
    V-Tek is an all time Sox great, I know I have stated Manny is my all time # 2 and I stand by that but Tek is a lifetime member of Red Sox Nation. A truly GREAT guy and example for all Sox players- the guy is just SOLID.
  • Options
    MAster-ful performance!
  • Options
    Paps shuts the door and Masterson gets his first W. VERY NICE!
  • Options
    Nice work! Just enough to get the job done! Funny thing is the first thing that comes to mind is how the Yankees did! How silly of Me, it is now how did the Rays do image/image/image
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    This kid Masterson really looks great. Amazing pitching prospects the Sox have been able to hoard over the last few years.