Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Great pitching by Lester! Pedroia comes through with a fantastic play, and Youk with the game winner.
    A win is a win, but I would love to see the bats get going!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pedroia's play reminded me of the one he did to save Buchholz's no-hitter last year. Great job by Lester, amazing he matched up so well against Halladay.
  • Options
    Will somebody thaw out the ice on the Bosox bats!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to be on the winning side of a pitching duel for once!!

Now score some freakin runs!! image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry guys I havnt been here to support our Sox! My computer is going to be down until saturday- we are switching rooms around so I can only use the internet when I visit my mother- Until I get my computer back up and running I will need you guys to hold down the fort!

BTW- Finally got a win last night! Hopefully my absence will get our bats going! image
  • Options
    I'd love to see Matsuzaka go to 5-0 TODAY!!!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Lets go gents!
  • Options
    the season is setting up like last year...Sox may go looking for a stopper out of the pen, since it is obvious that Delcarmen is not that person. Let's hope Theo doesn't think of the large Canadian again!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AFT !!!!!!!!!!!!! Another Fenway Thrillah.

I thought MANRAM was gonna run out of gas. Awzum win!!

PS - Perkdog, keep that computer moving from room to room for us!! image
  • Options
    Another walk off....I hope they save some magic for that when we're there this weekend!!
  • Options
    9th you headed to the game?

I listened on the radio, how was Lowrie's running? I KNOW Wells has a mini cannon, def. not Damon out there

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Perk, it's okay to be a mama's boy now and then. You should camp out at her place so you can lead the chant. We're winning games, but we aren't scoring any freakin' runs.

OT-I went to the Rockies/Giants game today (wearing my Sox hat, of course). The stadium is nice in S.F. but it doesn't hold a candle to the charms of Fenway.
  • Options
    Yes, my son and I are leaving from Florida today. We have tickets for Saturday and Sunday.
    I haven't had time to write out the whole story but here goes. You need a little background first.

In 2001 my son (DJ) was diagnosed with cancer in his right shoulder. He went through Chemo, radiation and surgery. The doctors successfuly removed his tumor in December of that year. In April 2002 through a local charity, the Children's Dream Fund DJ was invited to throw out the first pitch at a Rays game. He actually had Radiation before we went to the game. We were very fortunate to have my Dad visiting us so he got to see it as well. The St. Pete times was there and took a great picture of him throwing the pitch that of course was a strike!
    DJ 2002

We showed his doctor the picture the next day and he thought it was awesome, but he said don't do it again. With the muscle removed from the back of his shoulder he risked breaking his arm. How do you tell a 9 year old kid who has played baseball his whole life that he can't any more? There was no way I was going to do that so the only option was going to be to learn how to throw left handed. We threw for hours and hours trying to get it down. I tried lefty too, but it wasn't happening. Anyway by summer of 2002 he was already back playing little leauge as a lefty. In '03 he was back pitching and an All Star. The kid has an incredible work ethic and will just not quit.
    Fast forward to 2008. DJ has been cancer free for over 6 years. He's pitching on his JV team and did great as a freshman. He didn't pitch a lot of innings, but ended up with a win, a save and sub 2.00 ERA. Watching him pitch now, nobody would have any clue that he's not a natural lefty. I used to think of Pro Athletes as hereos. Not any more. This kid is mine.
    DJ Pitching in LL 2007

So we have planned this trip for over a year. I have a buddy that used to live in Boston and we try to get up there to catch a game when we can. The last time was 2005 when they were also the defending champs! I told DJ next time it was his turn.
    I got the idea about writing to the Red Sox after reading an article on ESPN about a kid's first trip to Fenway. DJ had been there before when he was about 3, and I have been there many times, but I figured this is the first trip he would really remember. So I wrote the Sox and pretty much laid out the history for them. I told them we were coming up and already had tickets and asked if they would be able to do anything special for him. It wasn't 2 days later that I got a call from the Fenway park amabasdor. They were touched by the story and wanted to help out. So, at 4:45 PM on Saturday we will be on the field for Batting Practice. When I heard this I was shaking. I had originally wanted to surprise him, but I couldn't hold out more than 15 minutes! Oh, and after batting practice we are going on a tour. Not the tour you pay for it was stressed, a private tour. My friend who is going with us is coming along for the ride and I expect to have some great pictures to share.

To top it all off, even though I already have tickets, DJ wanted to be on the Green Monster for the game. Yesterday I won SRO Monster tickets on the Red Sox.com auction.
    To say I am looking forward to this trip is the understatment of all understatements.
    Thanks for indulging me if you made it this far. If I can get online I will post some updates. In the meantime hold down the thread and GO SOX!

Bob.....
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Bottom...

Touched by the story about your son! GL with his health.

When you get to Fenway, things have changed a bit. As you go down Yawkey Way (after you pass through the ticket turnstiles), continue to the end where they sell hot dogs on the right. Jerry Remy is almost always there as this is where the Rem Dawg's stand is. Remy gladly greets fans and takes pics, you may want to get your son a pic with him. They also broadcast on NESN from a little stage set up there and either Jim Rice or sometimes Dennis Eckersley are on stage. Gotta probably get there at least an hour+ before game time. Let us know if you score the pic and autograph. Remy is super, super nice.

I watch EVERY Red Sox game, I'll be thinking of you guys this weekend. Hope you score Monstah seats...either way, you'll be in Fenway. Once upon a time, long ago...my dad always seemed to get us seats in that little slice of seats just behind and to the left of the Red Sox bullpen, right next to the 420 sign in deep center field. Mickey Mantle once hustled for a ball to that spot and there I was, staring down at #7, just a few feet below me. Quite a memory I've cherished over the years.

Hope the weather is great and the game as well. Enjoy!!
  • Options
    amazing story, Bob! I hope the Sox give you one more gift with a win too. If your son can do all that as a kid, the sky is the limit. image
  • Options
    The kid looks great on the mound. Sign him up !!!
  • Options
    Wow Bob great story! Have fun this weekend! Let's score some freakin runs for Bob and his son!
  • Options
    we are fortunate to have scored four total runs in the last four games and be 2-2! Time for a breakout at AJ's expense!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story on the promising young southpaw. Enjoy the experience!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    edmundfitzgeraldedmundfitzgerald Posts: 4,306 ✭✭

<< <i>we are fortunate to have scored four total runs in the last four games and be 2-2! Time for a breakout at AJ's expense! >>

Absolutely. Imagine if the pitchers had a bad stretch during this hitting meltdown. image
  • Options
    Thanks for all the kind words. I expect we'll have a blast.
    Right now we are sitting in Airport waiting for our flight.
    Of course, I am surfing and DJ is doing homework!

With some runs in the next couple of days I hope Manny hits a couple of HR's.
    It would be nice to feel the anticipation of #500 every time he comes up!

Bob....
  • Options
    Hello Fellas! Just checking in at Moms house to say hello to her and you guys ofcourse! Nice job holding down the fort last night- another ho-hum no freakin' runs thriller again! image

Bob- Sincerly touching story about your son, what a great looking kid you got there!

Hope all is well!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    can anyone recall a more pathetic (impotent?) offensive stretch than the last four-five games by a Red Sox team? This is more than odd.
  • Options

<< <i>can anyone recall a more pathetic (impotent?) offensive stretch than the last four-five games by a Red Sox team? This is more than odd. >>

must be that trip tp Japan image NO RUN support for Wakefield doesn't surprise me, I have tried to FORGET about the other 4 pathetic games.
  • Options
    No Ellsbury, no Drew, no offense. Coincidence?
  • Options
    Well one more day and I will be able to offer more support but right now it doesnt look like anything will help the Sox score some FREAKIN' runs! image

Looks like we are just going to have to weather this ugly storm-for now.
  • Options

<< <i>No Ellsbury, no Drew, no offense. Coincidence? >>

Moss makes me think it's JD Who?
  • Options
    Let's close this one down.

Moss is looking great at the plate and in the field.
  • Options
    except for Manny, lots of contributors to the Sox offense tonight. Maybe he caught what Ortiz had?
  • Options
    that's more like it! 12 runs scored is a good day!
  • Options
    and I look forward to Bottom9th's report!
  • Options
    Well, glad to see our Sox righted the Ship! And my computer is back up and running as well..

• Options

<< <i>Well, glad to see our Sox righted the Ship! And my computer is back up and running as well.. >>

Looks like your computer and the sox offense crashed simultaneously. Don't let your computer crash again !!!image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, glad to see our Sox righted the Ship! And my computer is back up and running as well.. >>

Looks like your computer and the sox offense crashed simultaneously. Don't let your computer crash again !!!image >>

image If thats what it takes, then I will make sure of it!

looking good today.....
  • Options
    so many offensive chances and 7 runs scored, good showing.

Can anyone remember the last time that DelCarmen got the job done? I can't
  • Options
    Great job fellas!!!! Nice to see our Bats come alive!!!

• Options
    good games today guys, too bad bout Moss, he was on fire. ANyone see Manny's assist last night?
  • Options

<< <i>good games today guys, too bad bout Moss, he was on fire. ANyone see Manny's assist last night? >>

Manny is playing an excellent left field at Fenway, just like last year!
  • Options

<< <i>Great job fellas!!!! Nice to see our Bats come alive!!! >>

Im quoting myself because I forgot to add....... Nice to see our bats come alive to go along with the AWESOME pitching!!!!!!!! I love seeing Lester and Buccholz giving us some quality starts! image
  • Options
    OK Red Sox fans. Here's a trivia question for you. What team in the American League has the best record AND biggest lead in their own division ? I'll give you three guesses. image
  • Options
    Hey fellas,
    Quick report....we had a blast and even made it on TV for Youk's Home Run.
    It was really cold, but the experience was fantastic. (2 wins make you feel a lot warmer)
    We're going to Faneuil Hall for more Sox souvenirs and then heading home to the warmth.
    Lots more to report and pictures to come.

Bob...
  • Options

<< <i>Hey fellas,
    Quick report....we had a blast and even made it on TV for Youk's Home Run.
    It was really cold, but the experience was fantastic. (2 wins make you feel a lot warmer)
    We're going to Faneuil Hall for more Sox souvenirs and then heading home to the warmth.
    Lots more to report and pictures to come.

Bob... >>

GREAT!!!!! image Definately post some pics here!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone remember the last time that DelCarmen got the job done? I can't >>

It's looking like Aardsma might rise to #2 setup picther (behind Okj). Would be nice to see DelCarmen get his act together, though, you can never have enough good setup pitchers.
  • Options
    Bob. glad to hear you had a great time! Ummmmm were you there for the 2:37 rain delay?
  • Options
    So I see that Hansen has been called up again (second time this year) to take Moss's spot. I know he spent some time going up and down last year too. Does anyone know how many times a team can call up a guy and send him back down before they run out of options? Isn't it six times? I wonder if we're getting close to having Hansen on the roster on a permanent basis?
  • Options

<< <i>So I see that Hansen has been called up again (second time this year) to take Moss's spot. I know he spent some time going up and down last year too. Does anyone know how many times a team can call up a guy and send him back down before they run out of options? Isn't it six times? I wonder if we're getting close to having Hansen on the roster on a permanent basis? >>

don't know the answer to the question, but I do believe Hansen spent the ENTIRE year last year in the minors, no time with the Boston Red Sox.
  • Options
    Barndog, you're right. He pitched in 4 games for the Sox in '05 and 38 in '06 but nothing in '07.
  • Options
    I think Hansen is on track to be a September call-up or the guy who replaces DelCarmen when he heads back to the minors (like he should!)
  • Options
    I smell tiger meat image
  • Options

<< <i>I smell tiger meat image >>