Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Ellsbury is so much fun to watch. That was a great steal.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ellsbury is so much fun to watch. That was a great steal. >>

Agreed!

And yes I agree what you said about Manny- I always loved him no matter what, but it is nice to see him all fired up!
  • Options

<< <i>Perk, Jenn and her friend say hi.

Happy 1000th post to me!

image >>

OMG!!!!!!!! Happy 1000th post for all of us!! THANK YOU VON!!!! Your the man! image/image/image/image
  • Options
    Wow. What a great game! Looks like we're a "come from behind" team this year.
  • Options
    SWEEEET WIN!!!!! How about 2 out RBI's- like 6 of them!! image
  • Options

<< <i>SWEEEET WIN!!!!! How about 2 out RBI's- like 6 of them!! image >>

• Options
    OT- What would I pay on a Ted Williams autograph on some kind of postcard or big sized card ?
    What grading/authentication service should I use ?
    TIA
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Another epic comeback!!
  • Options

<< <i>OT- What would I pay on a Ted Williams autograph on some kind of postcard or big sized card ?
    What grading/authentication service should I use ?
    TIA >>

I dont know much about auto stuff but I dont think you could go wrong with PSA-

BTW- ANY Ted Williams question or any "OT" thing on him is OBVIOUSLY never to be considered "OT" here!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I was going to post this remark on the official 2008 Milwaukee Brewers Championship run thread . . . but I couldn't find one so I'll post it here:

How's Eric Gagne working out for the Brewers? image Poor Brewers fans.
  • Options

<< <i>I was going to post this remark on the official 2008 Milwaukee Brewers Championship run thread . . . but I couldn't find one so I'll post it here:

How's Eric Gagne working out for the Brewers? image Poor Brewers fans. >>

image Better them than us! image
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo Perk

Looks like our friend Mr. Von is doing ok...scratch the hookup with the Perkies.

What a Red Sox comeback!!!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Take it easy fellas. Hughes has electric stuff. He's 21 pitching at Fenway for the first time, and his control is off tonight. You will all learn in time!!!!!!!!

Just not tonight apparently image >>

Heh, guess his control was "off" against the mightly O's as well. image Don't worry, Ian Kennedy will step up, and Farnsworth the Assassain will provide reliable middle relief.
  • Options

<< <i>I was going to post this remark on the official 2008 Milwaukee Brewers Championship run thread . . . but I couldn't find one so I'll post it here:

How's Eric Gagne working out for the Brewers? image Poor Brewers fans. >>

3 Blown saves already. I think Boras could get ME a $1 m per year contract in MLB. Heck, I could sit on my ass and have less blown saves!! image
  • Options

<< <i>Yo Perk

Looks like our friend Mr. Von is doing ok...scratch the hookup with the Perkies.

What a Red Sox comeback!!! >>

Hey Al, those are the Perkies! Hey, maybe we should try to get in contact with them and let them know that they've basically become the CU Board Red Sox fan's de facto cheerleaders?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    morning baseball is a great way to start the day!
  • Options
    I wonder how many steals Ellsbury will get before getting thrown out for the first time. So far 7 in a row.
  • Options
    Eight in a row for Ellsbury now.image
  • Options
    Red Sox up 8-0 in the 6th. Ortiz continues to struggle but gets an "in the sun and I can't see it" double. Bucholz doing well with lots of 1st pitch strikes. Appears the Sox will sweep the 4 game set from the Rangers. Francona playing some Rookies, who probably need the play, never know when one of the regulars get hurt, like Lowell.

Yet another glorious day in Boston!!
  • Options

<< <i>Red Sox up 8-0 in the 6th. Ortiz continues to struggle but gets an "in the sun and I can't see it" double. Bucholz doing well with lots of 1st pitch strikes. Appears the Sox will sweep the 4 game set from the Rangers. Francona playing some Rookies, who probably need the play, never know when one of the regulars get hurt, like Lowell.

Yet another glorious day in Boston!! >>

Happy Patriots Day!! image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Nice work today fellas!!! Unfortunately I had to work so I missed the game but its nice to see the won!!!!!!!!!

And Yes the "Perkies" are indeed our cheerleaders!
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, that pitch was way too close to argue about. It was a costly mistake on Man-Ram's part, but in a way I'm glad to see that he cares this year. It seems like over the past couple years it didn't always appear to matter to him whether he struck out or not. >>

I thought about this today after a couple guys were saying he only seems to "care" this year is because of his contract situation at the end of the year and Im thinking so what? Right? Even if it is his motivation you cant ever argue how huge he has been in our Playoff/ World Series victories so I made the statement that Manny is without question ALMOST as much as a Sox icon as Ted Williams! Im serious! I say he is the #2 greatest Sox player ever!

Thoughts?
  • Options
    First off, I agree that it doesn't really matter what his motivation is, so long as he is motivated.

However, I'm not 100% convinced that his motivation is financial this year. I think he wants to play well for a combination of reasons. I do think having his options picked up is a factor, but I also think Manny is finally realising his place in Boston's history and I can imagine that he would want to solidify that by ending his career in Boston. I also think that he has developed a new philosophy this year and that it is more important to him now that he continues to do well. I was really encouraged to hear him say that he wants to reach 600 home runs in his career.

As far as the icon question . . . that's a tough one. What about Yaz? What about Big Papi? Clemens and Nomar could have been up there on the list, but not so much anymore. I don't know. I don't disagree with the idea that Manny might be #2 icon, but I don't know if I've got enough of a historical perspective to say for sure.
  • Options
    Agreed, there is no reason to dig up the reasons why just as long as Manny is.. well Manny!!!

• Options
    remember, two club options: 2009 and 2010 for $20 million per season. Not so much a contract season as Manny finding peace with being a member of RSN
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Jed FREAKING Lowrie! How do you send a guy back down that's hitting .375?
  • Options

<< <i>Jed FREAKING Lowrie! How do you send a guy back down that's hitting .375? >>

If they could send Lugo down (and pay him minor league cash) they porbably would. Although Lugo showed some life today and is now hitting over .300!!
  • Options
    Not sure if I can go with MANRAM as the 2nd greatest Red Sox player of all time. I'll have to ponder that one, but surely he's in the top 5. I think Manny needs to keep in mind that pissing off the home plate ump does nothing but hurt the team, not to mention the disappointed fans that come to see him play. I think he got screwed on the call, but I've never seen an ump say, "oh gee, I agree, I got it wrong, never mind, you can play". Keep in mind his was already scheduled off today, so he got a bonus. Everything else Manny does is superb in my book. I hope he stays for a few more years anyway and hits 600+.

Red Sox looked good today, even Thurston in LF made a leaping catch off the wall. Bucholz is still devloping, but gave 6 pretty good innings, lotsa first pitch strikes.

I agree about Lugo, if they could send him down for cheap money they would. He is pretty darn good defensively and has beat out 1st base throws a fair amount. I just wish the guy would get a few more anythings while at the plate.

Would like to suggest Von's Vixens be added to the Perkdog's Perkies chearleading team. Better to have 4 cheer leaders to watch than just two...no?

Best of all, 3.5 up on the Yankees. What a gorgeous day in Boston!!

• Options

<< <i>
    Would like to suggest Von's Vixens be added to the Perkdog's Perkies chearleading team. Better to have 4 cheer leaders to watch than just two...no? >>

Vons Vixens image Are the same two Perkies Perkies!! I love the name though!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Manny is without question ALMOST as much as a Sox icon as Ted Williams! Im serious! I say he is the #2 greatest Sox player ever! >>

Would you put him ahead of Yaz? I was going to say that the fact he played for the Indians for a while doesn't quite make him a total Redsox like Ted or Yaz but that guy named Ruth didn't always play for the Yankees either.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Manny is without question ALMOST as much as a Sox icon as Ted Williams! Im serious! I say he is the #2 greatest Sox player ever! >>

Would you put him ahead of Yaz? I was going to say that the fact he played for the Indians for a while doesn't quite make him a total Redsox like Ted or Yaz but that guy named Ruth didn't always play for the Yankees either. >>

Good point- Yes I do put him ahead of Yaz, I gave that one some thought. The fact that I see Manny play everyday over seeing very little of Yaz weighed on my decision as it being a "Fair" one and I still say Manny gets my vote. Yaz is up there though.. As far as Ruth is concerned I consider him a Yankee, always have and always will.

• Options

<< <i>As far as Ruth is concerned I consider him a Yankee, always have and always will. >>

Paul,

I was not including Ruth as one of the greatest Redsox of all time. I included him because even though I have some great recent memories of Manny as a Redsox I still have many memories of him as a Indian and I guess when I think of greatest all time Redsox I think of someone who has played thier whole career in Boston, but when I think of Ruth I only think of him as a Yankee even though he did not play his whole career with them. So what I am basicly saying is I am a hypocrite when it comes to Manny not playing his whole career in Boston.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As far as Ruth is concerned I consider him a Yankee, always have and always will. >>

Paul,

I was not including Ruth as one of the greatest Redsox of all time. I included him because even though I have some great recent memories of Manny as a Redsox I still have many memories of him as a Indian and I guess when I think of greatest all time Redsox I think of someone who has played thier whole career in Boston, but when I think of Ruth I only think of him as a Yankee even though he did not play his whole career with them. So what I am basicly saying is I am a hypocrite when it comes to Manny not playing his whole career in Boston. >>

I see what your saying- I misunderstood. I try to look pass the fact that Manny EVER wore another uniform! image

I prolly should have weighed that in before making such a big statement but I love the guy! Well if we are talking about playing the entire career in Boston then I guess that honor would have to go to Yaz? Fox? Pesky? Conigliaro? Rice? Tough call I guess but in MY mind Manny has played enough seasons in Boston AND played a big enough role in our WS wins that I can forget he was ever an Indian! image
  • Options
    He hasn't put up the numbers like some of the other guys mentioned, but one guy that's spent his entire career in Boston, factored in the two world series championships, and is universally loved in RSN is Jason Varitek. I throw his name out there more for respect (r-e-s-p-e-c-t) than for actual consideration.
  • Options
    V-TEK!!! A lifetime member of Red Sox Nation for sure! image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I think Manny needs to keep in mind that pissing off the home plate ump does nothing but hurt the team, not to mention the disappointed fans that come to see him play. I think he got screwed on the call, but I've never seen an ump say, "oh gee, I agree, I got it wrong, never mind, you can play". Keep in mind his was already scheduled off today, so he got a bonus.

His fourth ejection in his CAREER, are you trying to say he got throw out of the game on purpose?
  • Options
    Not at all, but what's the point of arguing with the ump? They all have a hair trigger, and after about 10 seconds of complaining, you usually get tossed. A few words are ok, but to go on and on only infuriates the ump and they flex their power. Everybody knows he got screwed on the call, getting tossed in the 2nd inning does NOT help the team, it's just a foolish thing to do. Once you escalate the thing and perhaps a few choice words are said, that's the end. Pointless, really.
  • Options

<< <i>Not at all, but what's the point of arguing with the ump? They all have a hair trigger, and after about 10 seconds of complaining, you usually get tossed. A few words are ok, but to go on and on only infuriates the ump and they flex their power. Everybody knows he got screwed on the call, getting tossed in the 2nd inning does NOT help the team, it's just a foolish thing to do. Once you escalate the thing and perhaps a few choice words are said, that's the end. Pointless, really. >>

Basically I agree with your point, you keep your head down and give your two cents on the way back to the dugout. Umps can make
    mistakes just like players can. If infielders make errors, then umps will too.

However, Manny gets a pass from me because of how much he has HELPED the team over the years. If he has a temper with
    umpires, that's fine with me. Do I like it ? No, I don't. But sometimes perfectionists like Manny have no room for error. Just look at
    how he curses himself sometimes when he misses a ball. He's just that intense, and that's what makes him great. So I have no
    problem with it.
  • Options
    I will not even discuss Manny arguing with the Ump the other day- Nope- not gonna do it, rarely does he get ejected so its a mute point as far as Im concerned.

BTW- Did you guys know I freakin' love Manny Ramirez? image
  • Options
    Manny needs a day off every now and then. I'd rather he get ejected early than complaining about a mystery injury.
  • Options
    ouch...Beckett scratched from today's start. Hope he gets better (read it at boston.com)
  • Options

<< <i>ouch...Beckett scratched from today's start. Hope he gets better (read it at boston.com) >>

WTF!! image
  • Options
    Not happy about this!
  • Options
    Happy about tying the game up though!!! LETS GET SOME MORE FREAKIN' RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    Pauly lit up again! Back to AAA . . . .

We got the sucky Tavarez tonight as well . . . . hopefull Okie can clean up the mess.
  • Options
    Cash just made a mistake V-Tek wouldn't have even considered attempting.
  • Options
    OKAJIMA!!!!!!!

Edited to remove the dancing smiley which he no longer deserves. image
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Pedroia!!!!!!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ellsbury is having a nice little game.
    Mike
    Bosox1976