Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***Official Bald Eagle Order Thread!! Post your order#'s****Updated Pops Report **Great Pics Posted*

Comments

• Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    i noticed this on The Mint's Web site this evening when i went to Track my Baldies orders which are apparently still in limbo..

"February 7, 2008 - Due to the severe weather in the Tennessee area, the United States Mint is currently not shipping from its fulfillment facility in Memphis for the next one to two weeks. Expedited shipping will not be available until further notice. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please be assured that we will ship your orders as soon as possible."

which means what.. regular mail? Registered mail?.. inventory sitting there got blown away?.. no idea.. i'm not even going to bother calling any more to find out what's going on with my orders.. but i'm going to the Long Beach show this coming week, and if i see a Baldie three-coin set there for anything under $500.00 (fat chance).. and the cancel box is still on my "in process / in stock and reserved" order page.. i'll buy one from a friggin' dealer and cancel the order which i can do right from the show floor with my Treo.. if this was one of the Long Beach shows where The Mint had their own booth and had the sets there for sale, that'd be the cleanest solution, but i don't think they're attending this show.. anyone know?.. CW usually includes a show insert (the guide you can pick up at the registration tables in the lobby as you enter).. but they didn't for this show for some unknown reason.. and i haven't missed any issues as far as i know..

call me crazy, but if any of you plan to be at the show and have an extra three-coin Proof set for sale, please PM me, and we can arrange a deal.. i'm prepared to put up to $475.00 in your hand for one, OR trade you straight across for a PCGS OGH 1938 PR65 Mercury Dime.. (price guide = $475.00).. because at this point i honestly don't think i'll EVER get the set i ordered from The Mint..

i also ordered some single coins on a second order.. a few days ago a roughly $30.00 debit authorization showed up which would have been for the Baldie halves.. today, that debit authorization, instead of turning into a charge, totally vanished from my online banking.. so they UN-charged me..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    My 3 coin set order placed on the morning of the first day went to "in process" all by itself today.
  • Options

<< <i>My 3 coin set order placed on the morning of the first day went to "in process" all by itself today. >>

let us know if / when they actually charge you for it and if / when the [x] cancel box goes away.. and if / when they actually ship it to you, what method they use if they're not going to use "Expedited shipping" (meaning Fedex Priority overnight).. as per my post of their Web site message above..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My 3 coin set order placed on the morning of the first day went to "in process" all by itself today. >>

let us know if / when they actually charge you for it and if / when the [x] cancel box goes away.. and if / when they actually ship it to you, what method they use if they're not going to use "Expedited shipping" (meaning Fedex Priority overnight).. as per my post of their Web site message above.. >>

Whoa!!! Hold your horses! This is the US Mint we are talking about, not Amazon.com.

The cancel boxes are still there. I had also ordered a couple of UNC $5s.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

let us know if / when they actually charge you for it and if / when the [x] cancel box goes away.. and if / when they actually ship it to you, what method they use if they're not going to use "Expedited shipping" (meaning Fedex Priority overnight).. as per my post of their Web site message above.. >>

Whoa!!! Hold your horses! This is the US Mint we are talking about, not Amazon.com.

The cancel boxes are still there. I had also ordered a couple of UNC $5s. >>

which is why i used the wording "if / when" and not "when" image .. IF ONLY Amazon.com was selling these at issue price.. you could order one, get free shipping, and have it yesterday..

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear some of you are getting results. I called last week on my "hold" status and the staffer assured all was well and they would release the hold (3-coin & proof $). Well they sure did today, I got this:

Greetings from the United States Mint.
    The following order has been cancelled either at your
    request or because we were unable to process it. We invite
    you to resubmit the order via our website at
    http://www.usmint.gov and click on Product Catalog.

Now how's that for progress? I certainly did not cancel it, and they told me there was no problem with my cc...

This was the phone order I placed after trying a 100 times -- they cancel it? WTF? [note: such language is not normally used by this forumoid]
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>

This was the phone order I placed after trying a 100 times -- they cancel it? WTF? [note: such language is not normally used by this forumoid] >>

such language is almost becoming mandatory in this threadoid.. image
  • Options
    My dealer just got in over 200 BE Unc's from customers. WHY? I went to the shop this am to cherry pick and found only TWO worthy of even being close to 70...(knowing there is no chance and they would grade 69). The rest of the Unc's have so many surface flaws its like they just entered circulation. Nothing bothers me more than those shiny die spots on a nice matte unc.. Personal thought- The Mints QC is seriously degraded on this lot of BE, for sure.

I have discovered that for the cost/value that cherry picking is most rewarding and least expensive of the methods to aquire good coins.
    My dealer could care less on the fact I'm searching for sleepers --- his time is not well spent searching when his profit comes from turning.

Moral of this story.. Winter has made me crabby and the Mint QC is wanting on this series.
  • Options

<< <i>i noticed this on The Mint's Web site this evening when i went to Track my Baldies orders which are apparently still in limbo..

"February 7, 2008 - Due to the severe weather in the Tennessee area, the United States Mint is currently not shipping from its fulfillment facility in Memphis for the next one to two weeks. Expedited shipping will not be available until further notice. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please be assured that we will ship your orders as soon as possible."

which means what.. regular mail? Registered mail?.. inventory sitting there got blown away?.. no idea.. i'm not even going to bother calling any more to find out what's going on with my orders.. but i'm going to the Long Beach show this coming week, and if i see a Baldie three-coin set there for anything under $500.00 (fat chance).. and the cancel box is still on my "in process / in stock and reserved" order page.. i'll buy one from a friggin' dealer and cancel the order which i can do right from the show floor with my Treo.. if this was one of the Long Beach shows where The Mint had their own booth and had the sets there for sale, that'd be the cleanest solution, but i don't think they're attending this show.. anyone know?.. CW usually includes a show insert (the guide you can pick up at the registration tables in the lobby as you enter).. but they didn't for this show for some unknown reason.. and i haven't missed any issues as far as i know..

call me crazy, but if any of you plan to be at the show and have an extra three-coin Proof set for sale, please PM me, and we can arrange a deal.. i'm prepared to put up to $475.00 in your hand for one, OR trade you straight across for a PCGS OGH 1938 PR65 Mercury Dime.. (price guide = $475.00).. because at this point i honestly don't think i'll EVER get the set i ordered from The Mint..

i also ordered some single coins on a second order.. a few days ago a roughly $30.00 debit authorization showed up which would have been for the Baldie halves.. today, that debit authorization, instead of turning into a charge, totally vanished from my online banking.. so they UN-charged me.. >>

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Anybody getting their coins? Mine say shipped but are still hold up in Tenn. somewhere.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody getting their coins? Mine say shipped but are still hold up in Tenn. somewhere. >>

Mine too......been held up in Tenn. since Feb 5th. image
  • Options
    What were your guys shipping date?......They are saying my shipment is on Hold until 3-1-08........
    Peace and Prosper.............
  • Options
    My order is still on hold.
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    The twisters in TN have everything on hold or behind by at least 2 weeks.

Spoke to the Mint Rep and had this confirmed.

• Options

<< <i>What were your guys shipping date?......They are saying my shipment is on Hold until 3-1-08........ >>

I believe mine shipped Feb 4th

Glad First Strike doesn't apply!! image
  • Options
    Well Lucky for me all I have is time............image

I dont plan on opening the package anyway and just leave it in the Mint shipping Package for about 10-20 years...............
    Peace and Prosper.............
  • Options
    I was one of the lucky ones who got mine right before those storms. Here is the link to the pics I took of them, I couldn't imagine not opening them up!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    My order is finally "in process" (placed at 2:30p the day of offering), but it seems that will do little good now as shipments are suspended...

EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    The PCGS graded Bald Eagle coins are hittin the Bay!!!

Even a MS 70 UNC.

Q
    Are they now grading 70 in Matte finish????
  • Options
    They are very nice looking commemoratives...

I went w/ 5 uncirculateds and 1 proof hoping for a low run on the uncirc's image

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The PCGS graded Bald Eagle coins are hittin the Bay!!!

Even a MS 70 UNC.

Q
    Are they now grading 70 in Matte finish???? >>

These aren't "Matte finish" coins. Just regular old BU MS70s! But, yes they do grade "Matte finish" coins 70. image
  • Options

<< <i>Anybody getting their coins? Mine say shipped but are still hold up in Tenn. somewhere. >>

Good news. Got the 3 coins set. Looks good, could be 70's. I have singles coming in sooner or later, so I'll wait to make any decisions on grading.

My favorite would have the be the gold. The eagles look great and the reverse is fantastic. Way better than the Jamestown. Between this one and the San Francisco Comm. you almost have a 'subset series' of reverses depicting 'old school' designs from the past, kind of cool.

The San Francisco had a replica of the 1906 Half-Eagle Coronet Liberty eagle, designed by Christian Gobrecht.
    The Bald Eagle has the Great Seal of the United States as engraved in 1903.

• Options
    Here's one of my proof Baldies...this mark is on the COIN....had to leave the glare in as I couldnt photo the smudge without the glare.....most of my coins were dinged, smudged, or otherwise very imperfected. I will wait it out and grab them on the aftermarket...I really want a nice UNC, but the ones I got were just awful. I added a pic of one of my uncs.....these are so marked up.....cant get the pic to stay, didnt want red 'X's', so attached them. Sorry.

I will try to add them back from desktop. I think the attachment was what tweaked my laptop. Sorry for the disruption to the thread...but trust me, my Baldies are awful (just my Unc $5 was beautiful)

• Options
    27803XXX

Arrived today. 3 proof dollars, 3 uncirculated dollars, and 1 gold uncirculated. They look good. Am sending the gold out for the free PCGS grading that is going on between now and the end of March. Probalbly will get a 69 but it would be nice to get a 70.

• Options
    Called last week to ask about my order still being on hold after reading about all of you calling. Was disappointed that the rep. told me it would be "sometime next week" before the status changes. Especially when so many of you had it change immediately on the phone. But regardless, it FINALLY CHANGED to in progress today!!!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    I had Bald Eagle Halves ship today that were ordered on Feb.4th. My order placed on January 18th is still on hold. I have had three different CS reps. tell me that they would submit a claim form to get the "money hold" released within 48 hrs.. still waiting.
    Gary
  • Options
    Ok, my order is "in process" now for the past 10 days...no tracking #, no nothing....do i just sit and wait, or do i need to call again????image
  • Options
    Order 278075xx arrived today! 3pc set and 2 gold proofs! Cant wait to take the time to really look at them!

Jim
    Positive BST transactions with UnknownComic Cucamongacoin PlatinumDuck Coll3ctor Gerard x 2 Sevensteps jdimmick
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, my order is "in process" now for the past 10 days...no tracking #, no nothing....do i just sit and wait, or do i need to call again????image >>

Mine also in process went into "In process" 1 day before the storm..I think I just wait it out?
  • Options
    who know what will happen next from the incompetent personal at the Mint
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    the Mint shipped me three Baldie Halves today, part of my second order.. two Uncs. and a Proof, by Parcel Post.. about $30.00 worth of a $150.00 order.. should take a couple weeks to get here.. based on my past experience with Parcel post.. on that same order.. a Proof and an Unc. DollEr and one Coin and Medal set are still on back order until March.. and my three-coin Proof set from my first-hour first order.. is still "in process" and "in stock and reserved" and the [x] cancel box is still there..

meanwhile.. saw someone list "the first in hand" (so he claims) Coin and Medal set on eBay today at $299.00.. or "make an offer".. what a dreamer..

Link..

there are a couple others listed with cheesey pictures as pre-sales with "Buy it Now"s of around eighty bucks..

• Options
    cancel boxes gone on my order 27803xxx, they must be shipping again.
  • Options
    Playing with Spacemonkeys Templates for photoshop, here are the Uncirc Baldies:

• Options

<< <i>Playing with Spacemonkeys Templates for photoshop, here are the Uncirc Baldies:

image >>

nice photos, can't wait to get mine. thanks!!
  • Options
    Fantastic pics rgCoinGuy.........image
  • Options
    3 coin set is still not sold out!!!!!!!

February 14, 2008
    Some new numbers make their appearance
    By David C. Harper

The annual reconstruction of the stats page has begun. You will notice the disappearance of last year’s commemorative box and the appearance of the Bald Eagle coin numbers.

The three-coin proof set has not yet sold out, but it is getting close. Though the coins are also available individually, the package seems to attract buyers to the three-coin set.

The Young Collector’s Set has no mintage limitations.

The January American Eagle bullion numbers show strong demand for silver versions followed by gold. The high price of platinum might be holding back buyers of platinum Eagles.

Gold Buffaloes are up, too.

Some coin sales numbers are still not available, so they have not changed in this presentation.

• Options
    Thanks goldbully and little eagle, as for the not sold out, those are the same numbers you posted about a week ago? It has to be getting close. So did you finally get your Baldies?
  • Options
    order limits lifted on the bald eagles, 3 coin set only 1 per address still.
  • Options
    The mint just charged my card, so they must be getting ready to ship.

As much as they have disgusted me the past few days, I will not be buying anything from them ever again. They have lost any respect from me.....they have lost all their luster..To think, an American institution like this...

Oh well...guess there is always ebay huh? sheeeesh
  • Options

<< <i>order limits lifted on the bald eagles, 3 coin set only 1 per address still. >>

Price went up as scheduled.

• Options

<< <i>Thanks goldbully and little eagle, as for the not sold out, those are the same numbers you posted about a week ago? It has to be getting close. So did you finally get your Baldies? >>

Yes, they are exceptional at first glance. image
  • Options
    Now that Bald Eagle discount period has passed, does anyone have a feel for how many coins the mint typically sells at the higher prices? I'm curious if the orders dry up or do they they continue at the current level.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    think about it...

prices rise and current sales volume continues?.....

are you done thnking, now?image
  • Options
    Ya I know. I guess if you were a dealer and you sold all you had you might order more if you thought you could sell them otherwise I can't see paying more for them. I do like the designs though and am a bit surprised they didn't sell out before now.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    278879XX

Shipped today
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    order 27802xxx charged for one three-coin Proof set overnight.. no Tracking information yet, but cancel button went away..

order 27868xxx for the following:
    2008 BALD EAGLE $1 SILVER UNC 1 $35.95 $35.95 In stock and reserved
    2008 BALD EAGLE $0.50 CLAD UNC 2 $7.95 $15.90 2 units shipped on 02/13/2008
    2008 BE COIN AND MEDAL SET 1 $44.95 $44.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 03/15/2008.
    2008 BALD EAGLE $1 SILVER PRF 1 $39.95 $39.95 In stock and reserved
    2008 BALD EAGLE $0.50 CLAD PRF 1 $9.95 $9.95 1 unit shipped on 02/13/2008

on that one, the halves shipped yesterday and there's a Tracking number for Parcel post, but clicking it takes me to the USPS Web site which says "no such number can be found".. a $30.00 or so charge for the three Halves appeared and vanished from my online banking two days ago, but overnight, a $75.00 or so charge appeared.. so i'm not exactly sure what they've shipped me on that second order.. from the amount, it's probably the two DollErs.. looks like the coin and medal set still has about a month to go, and all [x] cancel boxes have gone away..

so approximately $450.00 charged overnight by the Mint.. that plus the $385.00 i handed over to PCGS at the Long Beach show yesterday to join their club at the Platinum level, and submit my 10nd Anniversary Platinum set on five-day service with First Strike designation, plus four "free" crossovers whose results i have NO idea what they'll be, plus the free quarterly special (which was any Gold coin, so i used it for my $5.00 Jamestown Gold Unc.).. and i have four "free" submissions left to use for the next year.. so between what the Mint charged me overnight, plus the check i wrote to PCGS yesterday.. that blows the coin budget for a while.. i left the show with a fat glossy folder from PCGS full of submission forms, both my copies and blanks, a fistful of their flips, the first issue of their $10 monthly magazine, the coin numbering system booklet, and that was basically it.. didn't walk around the show, didn't buy anything else, got there late in the afternoon, the crowd was pretty thin, and didn't want to do anything there but join their club and do those submissions..

while i was sitting at the table filling out those ridiculously complicated forms, a guy next to me was doing the same with what looked to be some five-figure coins.. with the pithy $4000.00 or so worth of stuff i was submitting, i felt like a child playing with my toys in the front yard, while the neighborhood "grownups" were sitting in lawn chairs, watching their chauffers wax their Mercedes and Bentleys in their driveways.. coins shows attract a very strange mix of people from just plaiin Joes who dig through junk boxes.. to multi-multi-millionaires.. and every income level in-between.. well when i hit the lotto image i'll join the ranks of the big boys.. {{fat chance}}..

meanwhile, checking Kitco.com, Platinum is going ballistic, and as i type this, it's at $2051/oz, with a headline that says "Platinum hits $2055.00 on panic buying" whatever that means.. when the 10nd Anniversary two-coin Platinum set went on sale late last year, it was priced at $1949.95.. they yanked it off sale two days ago due to the rising price of Platinum, with a note on its page saying they were removing it due to the rising price of Platinum (even though when they made those coins, Platinum was at about $1450/oz.. so that's like a gas station raising their prices when oil goes up, even though they bought the gasoline stored in their tanks when they bought it at a lower price).. so who knows what they'll do.. bring it back at a yet undetermined higher price, although i expect it will be well over $2500.00.. or that's it, and they won't sell any more at all.. remains to be seen..

although this belongs in a different thread, i suspect many people are reading both this and the Platinum threads, so i post that information here.. last i could determine, they had sold about 18,000 of the two-coin Platinumm Proof sets out of the 30,000 possible.. but then they briefly removed the limits before they yanked it off-sale.. so while at the show yesterday, i got to see my $2000.00 coins for a few seconds after the PCGS rep sliced the sealed box open, took the capsules out, put them in flips, and rubber-banded my submission form around them.. i'll be happy if either one gets a 70.. i'll be ecstatic if both of them get 70s.. if i get two 69s, i don't know what i'll do.. but with Platinum as high as it is, as long as it doesn't crash, well.. who knows.. i bought that set to re-sell, not to keep forever.. the goal being to double what i paid for it, which didn't look at all possible before, but with a possible end to the sales of that set, and the price of Platinum going crazy, now looks more possible than before.. depending on what grades i get.. i have a friend who had three of the Platinum sets and returned them all.. now he's kicking himself black and blue.. i hope i did the right thing by keeping it and submitting them.. as long as the Platinum price doesn't collapse..

• Options
    mark511mark511 Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Order number: 27815XXX Cancel button gone - looks like they will ship soon
  • Options
    My cancel buttons are now gone too. The only thing still back ordered is the coin and medal set.
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    I'm not envious but I'm at 2780xxxx and still no action.
    They are making mine with special care...image
  • Options
    800! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file