Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***Official Bald Eagle Order Thread!! Post your order#'s****Updated Pops Report **Great Pics Posted*

Comments

• Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Finally they arrived yesterday. Geez! Did they mint these by hand?
  • Options
    RockdogzRockdogz Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    Finally got mine too. Wow, this time it sure wasn't First In First Out....
  • Options
    Received my 3 pc set & 2 unc dollars yesterday. And last night at 11:10 the Mint was kind enough to email me to let me know it was shipped yesterday. What's with that system of theirs???? Glad I was here to sign for it.

Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    duplicated posting deleted because the boreds were not reponsding when i tried to post it the first time..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options

<< <i>It's a good thing that you guys told me how to track Fed Ex when you don't have a tracking number from the Mint. MY 3 Coin Buffalo Set was suppose to be delivered by 10:30 this morning. When I checked the reference number at 10:50 , it said that no one was home. I called Fed Ex and he went to the wrong address. It's a good thing a signature was required. What was strange though, he asked me how I knew it wasn't delivered since I didn't have a tracking number. How did he know I didn't have a tracking number? >>

rant on..

i don't understand why The Mint can't do some kind of deal with banks or the USPS to sell new issues directly, over-the-counter, instead of putting us through this ridiculous ritual of Web or phone or mail ordering and talking to CSRs with the iq of a fencepost.. i went into a local Post office yesterday there was a HUGE stand-up billboard for an upcoming HBO series about John Adams that the USPS somehow co-branded with HBO to tie-in with a new John Adams stamp (!?).. you can walk into ANY Post office (almost) if you're a stamp collector and buy as much of anything as they have, right there, on the spot, cash, check, or plastic.. no fuss, no muss.. coin collectors who want new Mint issues / products have to either mail in an order and pray it gets there in time or at all, or phone in an order and talk to an idiot, or Web in an order and do more praying, then hope it actually gets delivered.. waste ridiculous amounts of time Tracking it, making more phone calls to idiots.. it all gets so tedious and is such a time-waster.. whether you're doing it for your own collection or to flip (and i do both).. it's inconvenient and just plain DUMB that there's ONE single source for new issues at issue price.. (except for Bullion coins which you can buy from various Bullion dealers).. UNLESS The Mint has a booth at one of its infrequent National Coin Show appearances, where you can buy the new stuff right there, in person.. they were not at last week's Long Beach show.. the BEP is at EVERY one of those shows.. go figure..

so there has to be (and there could EASILY be) better, more convenient, faster ways to buy the latest Mint issues other than directly from the Mint, withOUT paying higher prices like on eBay and dealing with some private idiiot instead of official idiots.. it all comes down to the Director of the Mint.. who gets himself glorified with a special Buffalo Gold which is absolutely NO different than any other Buffalo Gold except for the red box it comes in and the COA with his "chop mark" on it.. while he issues a tepid apology for the Bald Eagle / Web site / phone ordering mess, and then doesn't say another single word about it.. that doesn't cut it with me..

sorry, i woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.. but the whole thing just grinds my gears..

rant off..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options
    i got my three coin set today are we opening these or sending them in closed
    any clue
    is their any thing going on with these
  • Options
    I don't think there is any reason not to open it, the COA and box are what makes it "exclusive" and there are not First Strikes or such on these. Unless you are going to sell on ebay as an unopened box.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think there is any reason not to open it, the COA and box are what makes it "exclusive" and there are not First Strikes or such on these. Unless you are going to sell on ebay as an unopened box. >>

besides that, they are still not sold out at the Mint.. so even if you decide to keep it sealed, i still think it's too soon to sell it.. and if you plan to keep it in your collection, then open it fer cryin' out loud image .. but correct, no point in sending in a sealed box for grading because "First Strike" does not apply to this set.. what makes it special is the COA which PROVES all three coins are from the three-coin Proof set.. now like i mentioned earlier, it's a fairly generic US Mint three coin clamshell case and it's entirely possible that some other Modern commemorative that had a Half, a DollEr, and a $5.00 Gold had the exact same dark blue clamshell, with the three holes in the same position (DollEr, Gold in the middle, Half on the right).. i have no idea and am not about to spend the hours to investigate.. if that were the case, someone could buy the three singles, source one of the older there-coin set cases, and shove the new coins in their capsules into the old case.. what they would NOT have, however, is the COA issued with this set on which all three Baldies are detailed on one single piece of folded heavy-weight paper.. that's and basically ONLY that (unless the clamshell case is a new design, never used before).. is what makes these 25,000 sets "special".. follow that?..

Thanks
    Harv
  • Options
    Thanks for the input image
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi All, new to the forum. Been lurking for a few months. I finally received my Bald Eagle coins today. The 3 piece proof set looks great. My unc gold is fine. However, the unc dollar looks strange to me. The obverse(eagle side) shows the outline/shadow of the shield from the reverse. I'm not sure what this is called. Is it an error or just poor minting quality. TIA >>

Welcome to the forum, CaptainQ.......I'd rather have a strange Unc dollar, than a strange looking gold Unc.

• Options
    I got my proof gold baldies, off to PCGS for a shot at 70. Can't wait......did you guys submit modern or regular for the gold $5 baldeirs if 5 or more?
    my EBAY items
    Successful forum transactions: jessewvu, nankraut, tootawl, levinll, mistercoinman, metalsman, adamlaneus, chuckc, fivecents, kingplatinum, jdimmick, waterzooey, moderncoinmart, bige, steelielee,
  • Options

<< <i>I got my proof gold baldies, off to PCGS for a shot at 70. Can't wait......did you guys submit modern or regular for the gold $5 baldeirs if 5 or more? >>

The 5 dollar gold uncirc is going to be my quarterly freebie, if you haven't used it, you can get any US Gold by the end of March done for the price of shipping. (at least one of them)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I got my proof gold baldies, off to PCGS for a shot at 70. Can't wait......did you guys submit modern or regular for the gold $5 baldeirs if 5 or more? >>

The 5 dollar gold uncirc is going to be my quarterly freebie, if you haven't used it, you can get any US Gold by the end of March done for the price of shipping. (at least one of them) >>

i submitted my Jamestown $5.00 Gold Unc. as the quarterly "freebie" at the Long Beach show a week ago today, i've been staring at i for months and it looked like it had a shot at an MS70 so of course it'll get MS69.. along with four NGC / ANACS / SEGS slabs as cross-overs on a second form, and my 10nd Anniversary Platinum two coins on yet a third form with "express" service only on the Platinums.. plus "First Strike" and "10nd Anniversary set" labels.. if i get two 70s i'll be ecstatic.. if i get one 70 i'll be relatively happy.. if i get two 69s.. well, i think if i put the muzzle of my shotgun in my mouth, i can reach the trigger with my toe..

all three submissions JUST showed up today as entered into their system.. no grades yet on any of them.. i expect the grades on the Platinums tomorrow or Monday.. and the others God knows when.. they get a bajillion submissions at shows so "five day service" turns into ten day service image ..

still have four "free" submissions left on my new $200.00 "Platinum" club membership which i bought at the show.. i have not been a club member since back in 2002 when Bowers and Merena offered a PCGS club membership for a year for $25.00.. so that's when i joined, but let it lapse when it expired.. only just re-joined last week, and did it at the highest level to get the free submissions and other perks i don't need.. LOL ..

been watching Gold and Platinum on kitco.com and they are both going ballistic..
  • Options
    Harv, only 18 Bald Eagle 3 coin sets left!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

<< <i>Harv, only 18 Bald Eagle 3 coin sets left!!!!!!!!!!

>>

probably sold out by now although i haven't checked, but they won't sell me any more (already tried and it got cancelled).. so if they're still available and anyone has a few dogs and cats and gerbils who live at a different address.. go for it..

mine is gonna stay raw, under lock and key, in my safe, in the dungeon, behind the moat, filled with hungry alligators, guarded by Terminators armed with GE miniguns.. image ..
    if anyone wants to buy my set, it's yours for $1000.00 image ..

[EDITED TO ADD: just checked, still shows available.. how can that be if Dave Harper of NN has numbers that says there are 18 left, and he has a lead time to get those numbers together and they were as of when?.. no comprendo..] ..

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    New babies arrived today.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Just received my 3 coin set yesterday. Beautiful coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Just received my 3 coin set yesterday. Beautiful coins. >>

eek! you opened it!.. it's worthless!..

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

since NONE of the three coins are exclusive to the EA7 set....it's just the friggin box!

and i don't mean sealed....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

since NONE of the three coins are exclusive to the EA7 set....it's just the friggin box!

and i don't mean sealed....
    image >>

actually it's not just the friggin' box, it's the friggin' COA that proves those three coins came from that set, and weren't bought as singles and shoved into a previous Modern commemorative's three coin clamshell case, IF any former Modern commemorative had a DollEr on the left, a $5.00 Gold in the middle, and a Half on the right and were dark blue and fuzzy.. do you know of any previous Modern commemorative three-coin sets that had the exact same color and fabric with the three indendations in the same order and position?.. what i'm trying badly to say is that IF there ARE no others, then you can't fake one of these sets out of an earlier case, and earlier box, even if you have the same three Baldie singles, since you won't have the COA.. comprendo?..

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long time lurker, first time poster - this Bald Eagle fiasco has driven me out of the safe deposit box! My order for 1 each of the coins (no set) was taken in the first few hours of the first day, order #27803*** and has been In Process, In Stock and Reserved since before the storm. Does anybody else have an order number lower than mine that hasn't been filled? I've gotten a different runaround from CS each time I've called and no matter how far up the chain I go. Frustrated? Yes. I actually sent a letter to Moy today, not that I expect anything to happen, but just to let him know that the service surrounding this issue has been atrocious.
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Long time lurker, first time poster - this Bald Eagle fiasco has driven me out of the safe deposit box! My order for 1 each of the coins (no set) was taken in the first few hours of the first day, order #27803*** and has been In Process, In Stock and Reserved since before the storm. Does anybody else have an order number lower than mine that hasn't been filled? I've gotten a different runaround from CS each time I've called and no matter how far up the chain I go. Frustrated? Yes. I actually sent a letter to Moy today, not that I expect anything to happen, but just to let him know that the service surrounding this issue has been atrocious. >>

Welcome, mbogoman!!!!!! Let us know what Mr. Moy has to say!!! image

• Options
    Thanks for the welcome - I'll certainly let you know if I hear anything from Mr. Moy...

Cheers!
  • Options
    Honestly why do people feel the set is worthless if the box is open. I thought that PCGS doesnt do any First Strike options or commemoratives. Or is it more than this. I am just wondering why the 3 coin set needs to stay in a sealed box.

Thanks in advance
  • Options

<< <i>Honestly why do people feel the set is worthless if the box is open. I thought that PCGS doesnt do any First Strike options or commemoratives. Or is it more than this. I am just wondering why the 3 coin set needs to stay in a sealed box.

Thanks in advance >>

They are just kidding, just make sure you keep the COA and the box, as that is what makes them unique. It is perfectly fine to open them up, I have had mine imaged for a long time now!
  • Options
    There will be no special designation/label for the three coin set when graded...you can open your set and enjoy it as is, or send it in for

grading. This has been well established on this thread and others. welcome to the forum image
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Honestly why do people feel the set is worthless if the box is open. I thought that PCGS doesnt do any First Strike options or commemoratives. Or is it more than this. I am just wondering why the 3 coin set needs to stay in a sealed box.

Thanks in advance >>

They are just kidding, just make sure you keep the COA and the box, as that is what makes them unique. It is perfectly fine to open them up, I have had mine imaged for a long time now! >>

there are some people with the three-coin Proof sets in their hands who are trying to get astronomical prices for them on eBay, up to $800.00.. i have not seen any sealed sets sell for such astronomical prices.. despite Dave Harper of NN reporting US Mint figures (from wherever he gets them (go up further on this page to see the latest)).. showing only 18 sets left.. they are still listed as available on the US Mint's Web site.. i find this somehow incongruous.. wrong.. misleading?..

meanwhile, i just Tracked my "other" order (i got my three-coin Proof set by Fedex a few days ago..) .. for two DollEr singles, an Unc. and a Proof.. and three Half singles.. a Proof and two Uncs.. (i didn't order any Gold singles..) .. they have been shipped.. the Halves show they were shipped by Parcel Post on 13 February, 2008.. a week ago.. the DollErs show they were shipped by Parcel post on 16 February, 2008.. when i click the two separate Trackinig link, new Web browser windows open at usps.gov which shows BOTH shipments were received by the "shipping partner" (who i think is DHL).. on 19 February, 2008.. how that's possible, for two Parcel post shipments, sent to me six days apart, to arrive at the "shipping partner" on the SAME day, one six days later, one three days later, is totally beyond me..

the first one allegedly shipped on 13 February, 2008:
    Arrived Shipping Partner Facility HEBRON KY 41048
    02/19/08 7:53am

the second one allegedly shipped on 16 February, 2008:
    Arrived Shipping Partner Facility HEBRON KY 41048
    02/19/08 7:53am
    Arrived Shipping

the EXACT same time and date for two separate Parcel post shipments allegedly shipped to me six days apart arrived at the same place in KY on the same day at exactly the same time (and yes, i clicked the two Tracking numbers separately).. how is that even possible?..

the only thing left on my second (impulsive..) .. Baldies order is the Coin and Medal set.. i have not been charged for it yet, and the [x] cancel button is still there.. supposed to ship on 15 March, 2008.. i have seen these, well at least one, listed on eBay also at an astronomical price, like $299.00 (the set is $45.00 from The Mint, limit 50,000..) .. and is not sold out..

on this visit to the US Mint's Web site, one of those "take a satisfaction survey" thingies popped up.. i gave them a rating of "poor - zero" on nearly every question except for the two that asked how likely i was to visit the site again, and how likely i was to recommend the site to others on which i gave them a very high rating because, well, let's face it.. no one else sells new US Mint issues at issue price.. no one.. so of course i'll be back to order in the future, and of course i'll recommend it to others.. even though i think it sucks..

in the comments box asking "what is the one thing we could do to improve our service?" i typed in "hire phone reps who are not idiots".. image
  • Options
    For the who knows how many time I have posted this on this thread (and still not tired of it!)

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't the people that are using these photo templates keep the coins to scale? The $5 gold eagle looks like it is as big as the $1 silver coin... I know that if they were stand alone it wouldn't matter but why not scale them?

Nice pics though.
  • Options

<< <i>Long time lurker, first time poster - this Bald Eagle fiasco has driven me out of the safe deposit box! My order for 1 each of the coins (no set) was taken in the first few hours of the first day, order #27803*** and has been In Process, In Stock and Reserved since before the storm. Does anybody else have an order number lower than mine that hasn't been filled? I've gotten a different runaround from CS each time I've called and no matter how far up the chain I go. Frustrated? Yes. I actually sent a letter to Moy today, not that I expect anything to happen, but just to let him know that the service surrounding this issue has been atrocious. >>

My order # is the same as yours. Still in process.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My order said that all my coins were shipped on the 19th. I got a box on the 19th, one on the 20th, and two today! They shipped just about every gold coin in a seperate box and they arrived on different days.

I ordered my coins at about 9PM PST on the first day of release.
  • Options

Please bare with me if this is a stupid question, but I would really like to know....can someone explain how this coin dealer is selling the "limited edition" 3 coin set....and are graded PR70DCAM??????? for $1295???????????????????????????????

2008 FIRST RELEASE BALD EAGLE SET
    We are now taking advanced orders for the new 2008 American Bald Eagle commemorative coins set. This 3-piece set has the special limited edition First Release Pedigree. Only 98 individually numbered sets are available worldwide. In this set are a $5 gold coin, $1 silver coin and half dollar clad coin. All three coins are proof coins. Each coin is certified perfect, flawless Proof 70 Deep Cameo, PR70 DCAM. The sets are $1,295 each delivery will be in March. When you place your order online only $100 will be charged to your card and the balance upon shipping. Hurry the earliest orders get the sets with the lower serial numbers. 21 orders have already been received.

$1,295.00

what are these people selling?
  • Options

<< <i>Why don't the people that are using these photo templates keep the coins to scale? The $5 gold eagle looks like it is as big as the $1 silver coin... I know that if they were stand alone it wouldn't matter but why not scale them?

Nice pics though. >>

Well, that would be rather boring staring at a coin you can't make out on the computer screen don't you think? I understand the question, but to me, the scale is irrelevant, no decent picture on this board is "to scale" or if it is, you get the " can't tell from that picture its too small" comments.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why don't the people that are using these photo templates keep the coins to scale? The $5 gold eagle looks like it is as big as the $1 silver coin... I know that if they were stand alone it wouldn't matter but why not scale them?

Nice pics though. >>

Well, that would be rather boring staring at a coin you can't make out on the computer screen don't you think? I understand the question, but to me, the scale is irrelevant, no decent picture on this board is "to scale" or if it is, you get the " can't tell from that picture its too small" comments. >>

• Options

<< <i>Please bare with me if this is a stupid question, but I would really like to know....can someone explain how this coin dealer is selling the "limited edition" 3 coin set....and are graded PR70DCAM??????? for $1295???????????????????????????????

We are now taking advanced orders for the new 2008 American Bald Eagle commemorative coins set. This 3-piece set has the special limited edition First Release Pedigree. Only 98 individually numbered sets are available worldwide. In this set are a $5 gold coin, $1 silver coin and half dollar clad coin. All three coins are proof coins. Each coin is certified perfect, flawless Proof 70 Deep Cameo, PR70 DCAM. The sets are $1,295 each delivery will be in March. When you place your order online only $100 will be charged to your card and the balance upon shipping. Hurry the earliest orders get the sets with the lower serial numbers. 21 orders have already been received.

$1,295.00

what are these people selling? >>

I'm clueless.....Coinoffer.com???????? image

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    that's the newer new ANACS slab?.. bleah!..

• Options

<< <i>image >>

Is this how ANACS is now stealing business from NGC/PCGS????

"First Release™" designation on a typical commemorative issue????

Guess ANACS' CEO thought this would be a part of their new "coin grading model" for 2008!!!! image
  • Options

the EXACT same time and date for two separate Parcel post shipments allegedly shipped to me six days apart arrived at the same place in KY on the same day at exactly the same time (and yes, i clicked the two Tracking numbers separately).. how is that even possible?..

Will try to explain how parcel post works.

At shippign depot's items are stored into different tractor trailers. Lets say 1 is priority and first class. "We all know they are shipped together." Hopefully The other is Media Mail and Parcel post. At the End of night or day shift. The priority mail Tractor heading to a Hub isnt full. Well it has to go anyway. The parcel post isnt nearly full. The priority first class goes out that night anyway. Parcel post stays until it is completely full regardless howlong it takes with in 5 days.

I hope that helps your ?

Shannon
  • Options
    yes, that explains it, although i had to sober up and read it a few times.. and to think i spent 12 years working in the Int'l. freight forwarding business.. but we didn't deal with the USPS.. we dealt with common carrier truckers (Yellow freight, Transcon, and so on.. cripes, i can't even remember their names any more..).. and local truckers hauling containers to and from the container ships at ports.. ) .. so i didn't involve myself with a trailer that sat at the loading dock for a week until it filled up.. but yeah, that makes sense how the Mint could have sent me two Parcel post shipments, six days apart that end up in the SAME trailer in KY.. however, one would think that Parcel post, and Media mail.. which is used a lot (but not exclusively).. for big, bulky packages, would fill up a trailer before Priority and First class mail, which would be smaller packages.. and sacks of letters.. apparently, one would be wrong.. doesn't all Priority and First class travel by air?..

however, i think it's patently ridiculous that the only two ways the Mint ships coins (to collectors).. are the ultra-fast Fedex Priority overnight, or the glacially-slow Parcel post.. for $4.95, they could easily cover the cost of shipping my lousy little coins First class mail..

• Options

I thought I would e-mail these coinoffer.com dudes to find out what they are selling....yep....this ANACS...PR70...see below....

Where did you guys get those pics of the ANACS slabs??? and how are they numbered only up to 98???

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

from <@westminstermint.com>
    toNN <@gmail.com>,

dateThu, Feb 21, 2008 at 9:32 PM
    subjectRE: Bald eagle set

hide details 9:32 PM (58 minutes ago) Reply

Images are not displayed.
    Display images below - Always display images from westminstermint.com

This set is graded by ANACS. We only accept Credit cards, checks and wire transfers. Everything has a 30-day money back guarantee. This product is ready for shipping next week!! Get yours today, before we are all out of this truly special offer!!

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:57 PM
    To:
    Subject: Bald eagle set

Hi Westminster Mint;

I would like to order the following set that I saw on your site, can you give me some information though?

What grading company will this set be graded by? Do you accept paypal?

$1,295.00
    If I order now, can I be guaranteed one of the lower serial numbers?
    Thanks in advance,
    Nicholas
  • Options

I can has a PCGS special commemerative slab for my baldies???

lol!!image
  • Options

<< <i>

Guess ANACS' CEO thought this would be a part of their new "coin grading model" for 2008!!!! image >>

Mr. James "What grading company did i buy and fire everyone with not even a day's notice.. and merge with another grading company i used to own and then quit and went to the other one and then shut it down and moved it back to Colorado so i could be with my family and merged it back into the first one i used to own which still exists" Taylor..

their new slab design looks like.. well.. poo..

double image with cheese.. 98 sets?.. why 98?.. why not 100?.. who ever makes an oddball number of 98 of anything?.. dart board gimmick random number generator marketing?.. probably a full page ad coming to a CW and NN near you.. if i couldn't think of so many things that are just so wrong about this, i'd be speechless..

• Options
    I got a 3 coin set two days ago. When I checked my charge a few minutes ago, I still have not been charged.
  • Options
    Wonder of wonders! I just checked tracking via FedEx Alternate Ref and my order (27803***) is on the plane as of 3:00 this morning, scheduled for Monday delivery (I'm hoping they'll try get it to me tomorrow - they sometimes do weekend delivery if the load is light). Mint site appears to be down (what's new?!). I can't wait to see the little buggers...
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My order, 278879XX is on the truck for delivery this morning
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    900......image

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file