I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    How bout this Mantle card my dog tried to eat? imageimage
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How bout this Mantle card my dog tried to eat? >>

Tried?
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>1 bidder at $199.99. Meh. 707 bought it, so you'll probably be seeing it on Ebay again real soon. >>

I'm not not sure what to say. I feel badly about that. Obviously, I thought it would go for more, and I still think that if priced in the upper $200s or so and parked in somebody's eBay store or wherever that it would find a taker before long. Of course, 707 may have a more long-term plan for it, in a manner of speaking. So, anyway, sorry about that, digicat. I really wish it would have worked out better for you.

I think it does illustrate, though, how difficult it can be in most cases (for me, anyway) to know for sure if any given deal or offer of a deal really represents a gain or loss... despite what VCP or SMR or the oujia board may indicate. I really thought (and still do) that the Hubbell for Griffey was an even trade and that all I was really gaining was an item with wider appeal. And certainly the next item on the way is of ambiguous value, but, as usual, I'm just going with my best judgment.
  • maybe if the opening bid was at $249 then 707 would have paid that. only one bidder out there but who knows how high it would go (with 707 i'm sure not too high, but another $50 sounds reasonable). odd economy and limited demand card can hurt. heck, i picked up a rarity tonight for $100 that would have easily gone for $200 last year (my snipe was set for $165 with no other bidders). in the end i don't think elemenopeo should feel bad about the trade.

don't get me wrong though, sorry for the low sale. it was a sweet card.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Elemenopeo

pm sent

<< <i>...in the end i don't think elemenopeo should feel bad about the trade. >>

Just to clarify... I don't feel badly about the trade. I still think it was a fair one. What I feel badly about is that the auction didn't end up much higher than it did.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I don't feel bad about the trade either. I was glad to jump in and move this wackey thread along.

I don't really feel bad about the low sale, as I know that I could have done worse. Now, if I listed it at 1 buck and it sold for 1 buck, THEN I'd be a little upset. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    Here's the pre-war HOF'er (of sorts) I was talking about...

The signature on the letter belongs to this guy, Kenesaw Mountain Landis:

Picked this letter up in exchange for the Griffey RC from Dan Bretta over at Net54. Dated July 27, 1939, it's written on the commisioner's letterhead and includes the baseball centennial logo on the bottom right corner. It's addressed to the national adjutant of Disabled American Veterans, Vivian D. Corbly (kind of an unfortunate name for a fella), and expresses Landis' regrets for being unable to attend the organization's annual convention.

Here's a closer look at the sig..

And here's a closer look at the centennial logo...

I've been Googling like mad the last few days trying to gauge the value of a Landis signed typed letter, and I could go on and on about it, but basically my conclusion is that it's north, possibly well north, of $350. Dan picked this letter up for a song, frankly, in a recent auction house listing that must have flown way, way, way under the radar. A flying fish grabs more air. I don't even want to say what he paid for it. More reflective of its actual value, I think, are three or four other auction house sales in the past few years for very similar Landis letters that were in the $350 to $550 range. SMR, for what it's worth, is $600, but another PSA article (linked below) indicates the pricing for such an item starts at $500. I also sent an inquiry to Heritage Auctions a few days ago, and they replied that Landis signed letters typically sell from $400 to $600.

The signature is clean as a whistle and stacks up very well against most examples I've been able to find... and I've yet to see an example on a letter that includes the centennial logo. So, a very cool, interesting piece, I think, and I'm excited to venture into something other than graded cardboard for a bit. Of course, I'm also grateful to Dan for the deal. He certainly seems like a great guy and obviously knows his stuff.

I don't suppose I need to go into Landis' place in baseball history, but here's a link to the PSA article about Landis and an analysis of his signature.

As always, PM or email with any offers.... elemenopeo@gmail.com
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I have no idea what that is, but great trade.
  • Bryon, you do know that Mr. Landis tested positive for doping! 1. He won't ride in the Tour any time soon. 2. See what happened to Bonds stuff after the Juice!

Other than that......very cool piece of baseball history and my guess is that it will find a home very soon.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Elemenopeo,

Here's some completed auctions of Landis TLS's so you can get a guage of market value:

$317.73
    $327.25
    $287.98
    $467.67
    $231.66

Good luck!

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Wow, my first reaction was, that's not a card, why would you want that? Although the more I thought about it, it is a great piece of history and it most likely will bring a great trade in return. I am anxious to see what it brings.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    I really like it, but are you worried that you'll have trouble getting a card back for a piece of memorabilia?

<< <i>I really like it, but are you worried that you'll have trouble getting a card back for a piece of memorabilia? >>

Hey, sometimes I have trouble getting a card back for a card. So, I'm used to being concerned, but I'm actually more optimistic about this item than some others I've had up. I think there are enough folks out there who collect both that this should work out well. I also think it's a productive thing to potentially garner some interest from a somewhat different field of collecting and to show that I'm open to considering trades outside the usual card-for-card.
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    very gutsy move, i hope it works out, i like the piece BTW....
  • love the piece, love the history. good luck with the next step!
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Cool autographed piece. Best of luck.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I like this move (I'm a gambler) there is a certain amount of risk, but the potential for a large step forward is there.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    great piece!!! good luck with it. i think you'll do fine with that.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• This is a nice piece, however, Landis was one of the many racists who would not allow blacks into baseball. He went as far to say that there would be no black players as long as he was commissioner. He wasn't the only person who had this attitude, but he sure didn't try to open to the door neither.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Gutsy move, Bryon, but one I think that will work nicely for you. Congrats!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Bryon,I like the auto& good luck !

Lou
    Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    the last couple trades seemed to have been about the same in value. with this one you should be able to move up in value a good bit....from the Griffey card.

Thanks, all.
  • cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    Jumping in to bump the thread. Any movement on the Landis piece? Want to keep this thread in view for others to make trades.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector

<< <i>Jumping in to bump the thread. Any movement on the Landis piece? Want to keep this thread in view for others to make trades. >>

Thanks. Only a couple gentle nibbles so far. No hard strikes.
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Nice trade!

Definitely one of the most controversial figures in baseball history. Get the word out there that you have this and you'll find somebody who has to have it.
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Definitely one of the most controversial figures in baseball history. >>

He may have been cotroversial, but he was a heck of a lot better commissioner than Bud Selig, who presided over baseball's entire steroids era.

Interesting item Elemenopeo. Good luck on this one.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Definitely one of the most controversial figures in baseball history. >>

He may have been cotroversial, but he was a heck of a lot better commissioner than Bud Selig, who presided over baseball's entire steroids era.

Interesting item Elemenopeo. Good luck on this one. >>

Yep. He had some tough calls to make and did what he thought was good for baseball.
  • jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    I needs me a bump here!
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    A Bump for anyone who missed what is for trade
  • I have very mixed feelings about Landis. He said as long as he was commissioner that no "ni@@ers" would be playing baseball. Quite a few Negro Leaguers said that he was a driving force in keeping baseball segregated.
  • ManofmoeManofmoe Posts: 264 ✭✭
    Forget the '52 Mantle. Set your goal even higher and go for a Josh Hamilton RC! image

Mike
  • why hasnt someone offered a josh hamilton rookie for this yet?

Just wanted to note that Levi listed the Hubbell on eBay... LINK
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    (Deep sarcasm) ... Wow only a 75% increase on his original $199.99 purchase price. I guess we should feel fortunate that he didn't list at $400.00 for a 100% profit.

/s/ JackWESQ

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    ttt

Hubbell PSA 7 goes off tonite...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • isnt that Hubbel overpriced at $350 ?
  • bhl2359bhl2359 Posts: 420
    BTTT
    Any updates?
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    maybe Levi will trade you back?

No updates. I haven't been pursuing a trade very aggressively lately, mostly due to a few other projects I've been concentrating on... not the least of which is trying to sell my house and relocating to Cincy.
  • rajah424rajah424 Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Bryon,

I'm sure you are getting all kinds of suggestions on your Mantle quest, so i apologize for one more. I was thinking however that you may try contacting Kevin Keating @ Quality Autographs and see if he has any interest in a trade. He specializes in documents like the Landis and might have something (autograph ball or card) that he would be willing to trade. Just a thought.

Good luck with the quest!

Stuart
  • Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭

<< <i>No updates. I haven't been pursuing a trade very aggressively lately, mostly due to a few other projects I've been concentrating on... not the least of which is trying to sell my house and relocating to Cincy. >>

On behalf of the greater Cincy area, we welcome you and your fantastic collection to our part of the world.

Charles

<< <i>Bryon,

I'm sure you are getting all kinds of suggestions on your Mantle quest, so i apologize for one more. I was thinking however that you may try contacting Kevin Keating @ Quality Autographs and see if he has any interest in a trade. He specializes in documents like the Landis and might have something (autograph ball or card) that he would be willing to trade. Just a thought.

Good luck with the quest!

Stuart >>

Thanks for the lead. I'll drop him a note. And nice avatar, by the way. Looks familiar. image

On behalf of the greater Cincy area, we welcome you and your fantastic collection to our part of the world.

Charles
    Thank you. Hoping to get there soon and start in on my Skyline chili diet.
  • ttt
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter

Thanks for the bump. Still no dice.
  • I still think this is the most interesting piece you have traded for to date. Hit the N54 memorabilia section with it.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey

<< <i>I still think this is the most interesting piece you have traded for to date. Hit the N54 memorabilia section with it. >>

Thanks, and, yeah, the N54 memorabilia section is actually where I found it to begin with. image I did post it there when I first got it, too, and just gave it a bump yesterday.