Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Does this mean pre-war isn't the way to go? I don't know what's coming, I'm just thinking 50's on up might have a bigger audience.

"Molon Labe"

• ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>Does this mean pre-war isn't the way to go? I don't know what's coming, I'm just thinking 50's on up might have a bigger audience. >>

Even though I ended up with something else in this trade, I still think pre-war is ultimately where I'm going to have the most opportunities to trade high-dollar items for other high-dollar items. If you look at the cards people are actively trying to move on the BST boards here and over at Net54, it's pretty easy to see that there are many more items with values upwards of $250 in the pre-war era than post-war.
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    There may be some good trades to be had in pre-war issues, but you're universe of collectors eager to participate in your journey will be much more limited.

You've posted the number of days between each transaction, readers might also find it interesting if you scored the number of legitimate offers you passed on once a transactions is complete.

Your game, just some thoughts.

Thanks for the fun!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Good luck man.
    -Rome is Burning

The new guy on the block and the newest member of the 600-HR Club...

imageimage

Last week, I saw that digicat had three (count 'em, three) PSA 10 1989 Upper Deck Griffeys listed in BIN/Best-Offer format on eBay. Obviously, it's an iconic rookie card of a sure-fire HOF'er and roughly in the value range I was looking for... and, as much as anything, I just thought it would be a fun card to put out there and include as part of this project. So, I offered the Hubbell. Luckily for me, digicat has a healthy appreciation for cards of legendary Giants pitchers and accepted. Thank you, sir.

I suppose it's worthwhile to note that one particular seller on eBay has had several listings of this card with BINs or in auction format that ended at $225, $200 and below lately, but I tend to doubt those prices are a true indication of the card's value because he's shown the same card with the same PSA certification number in each listing... and his feedback is at about 94 percent... and it may not hurt, but it certainly doesn't help that in those listings he describes Griffey as "the true Homerun King" and the "first 600 homerun club member without steroids"... I think he may be overlooking a few guys named Aaron, Ruth and Mays. Recent auctions by other sellers have been going in the $230 to $255 range. One other ended at $284 on Monday.

As I said before, I was originally hoping to stay pre-war in trading the Hubbell away... and came close to deals for some T206s and the like a couple times, but couldn't quite find the right mix of value and tradeability. Tradeability wasn't the Hubbell's strong suit either. The 1940 Play Ball set's just not that popular. I was definitely doing most of the offering this time around.

As always, PM or email with any offers.... elemenopeo@gmail.com

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    wise decision. that's great trade bait. congrats!
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Very nice pickup, Bryon. I think you'll be able to parlay that into something very nice. Well done!
  • very nice. that would match my 1989 topps traded griffey psa10 nicely. not sure if i have anything around to trade but i'll sure look.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    Interesting trade... that's open of my top 10 favorite cards. I have to buy a box of 89 UD I've still never pulled one.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    great card good luck.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im always going to be hesitant on a modern card as opposed to vintage but I think you did very well in this case- great timing with Griff entering the 600 club too. As always I wish you the best of luck!
  • Wow it would be hard for me to trade that Griffey rookie. But I'm still trying to figure out how you was able to stomach trading the Arod, Mantle and Martin cards. Very cool posts and I think you're all most there.
  • DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213

<< <i>Wow it would be hard for me to trade that Griffey rookie. But I'm still trying to figure out how you was able to stomach trading the Arod, Mantle and Martin cards. Very cool posts and I think you're all most there. >>

Nice card, but unless he gets a major charity offer, he is probably greater than 2,000 in worth from being there.
  • TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Nice job!

Just curious. What did this card go for in its peak?
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football

<< <i>Nice job!

Just curious. What did this card go for in its peak? >>

I'm not even sure when it's peak would have been. Maybe someone else can answer that. Of the PSA 10 sales shown on VCP (only going back to April 19 of this year) the highest was $310 on May 14. There was also a GAI 10 that sold for $522 in November of '06. (GAI? What the...?) And, of course, BVG 10s just go for silly money.
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I have been thinking of getting one of those and now is the wrong time, but I might have to look around for something to trade.

PM sent
    Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • I believe the '89 UD Griffey peaked at about $2K in a PSA 10.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, dona nobis pacem.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the trade. That Griffey is a beauty, the centering is near perfect.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • imageimage
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • I think you're in the wrong forum...
    -Rome is Burning

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think you thought wrong.

This thread is a mainstay of this forum.

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>I think you're in the wrong forum... >>

You should have mentioned that 720 posts ago image
    He wasn't here yet.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you're in the wrong forum... >>

This statement is fairly classic.

Just some advice, if you want to be a member of the CU Police, be sure to choose your battles wisely.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    ttt
  • There is a thread for this...
    -Rome is Burning

• << <i>There is a thread for this... >>

if you don't like it... do us a favor and stay out of it.
    White Whales:
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    weird.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Kind of a shame to have someone who doesn't quite fit in trying to hijack one of the best threads here.

Great card of a great player!
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Kind of a shame to have someone who doesn't quite fit in trying to hijack one of the best threads here.

Great card of a great player! >>

I have not seen one worthwile post from this someone!!
  • BTTT

Any updates?

<< <i>BTTT

Any updates? >>

Not really... PSA 10 UD Griffey RC's have been selling a bit higher since I first posted this one, though... which is good, I suppose. $271, $251 and $255 are the last 3 sale prices.

I've received zero offers on it as yet. I've made one offer of my own (for a '35 Chicle) and was shot down, but, as usual, am keeping my eyes peeled on the various BST boards for other potential deals.

Thanks for the bump.

Good news. The Griffey's headed out. Godspeed, Junior.
  • Can't wait to see whats next.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good news. The Griffey's headed out. Godspeed, Junior. >>

Dam, that was fast.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    Nice!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Can't wait to see the new addition!
    Give us a hint! Pre-war HOFer again? Multiple cards?
  • hint! hint! hint!
    White Whales:
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    a bonds BGS rookie?

well the run was nice while it lasted.....
  • Some guy named Gary offered him an unopened box of 1975 mini's. He said he'd ship them right out as soon as he gets the wrappers peeled off of his bar.
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets

Well, I may as well just say... I traded the Griffey to my buddy Sparky over at HQ in Seoul for the Captain Marvel annual.

Another possibility is that I'm getting a pre-war HOF'er... of sorts.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I see that the 1940 Play Ball Carl Hubbell PSA 7 is up for auction. $199.99 starting bid. 19+ hours to go and no bids. I'm really curious to see where this card ends up.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I see that the 1940 Play Ball Carl Hubbell PSA 7 is up for auction. $199.99 starting bid. 19+ hours to go and no bids. I'm really curious to see where this card ends up. >>

That would be mine. image

I'm a little worried. 14 watchers and zero bids. Maybe some snipes will come in during the closing seconds?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Man, do I have my fingers crossed on that. It's a beautiful card and deserves a robust hammer price. C'mon, Carl!
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bryon, did you trade the Griffey Jr. for this? image

<< <i>Bryon, did you trade the Griffey Jr. for this? image >>

Hah! No. I think the project would be in danger of coming to an abrupt end if I picked that one up.
  • ttttt
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Man, do I have my fingers crossed on that. It's a beautiful card and deserves a robust hammer price. C'mon, Carl! >>

1 bidder at $199.99. Meh. 707 bought it, so you'll probably be seeing it on Ebay again real soon.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

<< <i>

<< <i>Man, do I have my fingers crossed on that. It's a beautiful card and deserves a robust hammer price. C'mon, Carl! >>

1 bidder at $199.99. Meh. 707 bought it, so you'll probably be seeing it on Ebay again real soon. >>

Yeah, for $450