Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• Good trade!
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Play Ball Hubbell in PSA 7 for a 1986 Topps Alan Knicely. Not bad, my friend.

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    very nice!!

good luck moving forward
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Very sweet card. image

Elemenopeo, what's the chances that you could, maybe now and in the future, just put kind of a ballpark price on whatever card you have on the trade block. I'm not sure about other guys that might want to trade for something, but I personally don't really think SMR is up to speed in lots of the time.

Thansk
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>Elemenopeo, what's the chances that you could, maybe now and in the future, just put kind of a ballpark price on whatever card you have on the trade block. I'm not sure about other guys that might want to trade for something, but I personally don't really think SMR is up to speed in lots of the time. >>

I usually try to give an idea of value by mentioning what the VCP numbers are and so forth, but I don't want to dissuade any potential offers by getting too precise about it. Obviously, the general direction I want to move is up in value, but I'm always open to making lateral trades or even giving up a bit in value for an item that may have wider appeal and could generate a larger number of offers.

I think it' safe to say, though, that I'm placing a value on the Hubbell in the upper $200s, if that helps.

Also, thanks for the nice comments, all... It's actually a better reception for Mr. Hubbell than I was expecting.

• << <i>Also, thanks for the nice comments, all... It's actually a better reception for Mr. Hubbell than I was expecting. >>

//////////////////////////////////////

Worst trade ever.....you better say untradesies! (And If I knew how to put a smilely face....I would.) Good luck Bryon.....I'll be over here in the corner watching.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

Here's Steve's smiley face...

Good trade Bryron!

• << <i>A Play Ball Hubbell in PSA 7 for a 1986 Topps Alan Knicely. Not bad, my friend. >>

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Also, thanks for the nice comments, all... It's actually a better reception for Mr. Hubbell than I was expecting. >>

//////////////////////////////////////

Worst trade ever.....you better say untradesies! (And If I knew how to put a smilely face....I would.) Good luck Bryon.....I'll be over here in the corner watching. >>

• Very nice! I have always liked that set. Can't wait to see how this plays out.
    Keith

I hope y'all will forgive the self bump here, but I'm trying to give a good push this weekend to moving the Carl Hubbell.

So.... Hey, I've got a 1940 Play Ball #87 Carl Hubbell PSA 7 available for trade! And am considering any and all offers!

And to save any potentially interested parties the trouble of searching through previous pages, here are the scans again...

imageimage

I sent off emails a little earlier this evening to most of the folks with 1940 Play Ball sets on the registry as well. So, hopefully something will turn up from that, too.

And, just for fun, here's a did-you-know... In the 1934 All-Star Game, Hubbell struck out HOF'ers Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Jimmie Foxx, Al Simmons and Joe Cronin... in succession! That screwball must've been something to see.

• EstilEstil Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    And, just for fun, here's a did-you-know... In the 1934 All-Star Game, Hubbell struck out HOF'ers Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Jimmie Foxx, Al Simmons and Joe Cronin... in succession! That screwball must've been something to see. >>

I guess you could say they got screwed by that screwball. image
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars
  • bhl2359bhl2359 Posts: 420
    BTTT

No luck with the emails I sent out last weekend. I've been offering it around, too, when I see potential deals on the BST boards here and Net54... but no dice.

This one may take awhile.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Bryon, still a very nice card.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭
    BUMP --- (needed to get rid of the 666 number)
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• rajah424rajah424 Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Have you thought about 707. They don't have this card in any grade showing in their inventory. Levi might want to make a deal for some free publicity. This may be a stupid idea, but it never hurts to ask.
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    That's a great idea...it probably doesn't hurt to ask! That's a great looking card, so I'd be surprised if he wasn't interested...

Levi was one of the folks I emailed last weekend.
  • ClemazClemaz Posts: 1,422
    I had to move this off of the 3rd page.
    ttt since I didnt see what was on the block
  • Okay....I can't keep it hidden anymore. Might be a step backwards but I think it will create the buzz that you need!

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Whodathunk that the Hubble would be harder to move than the 67s. I would think that in the future, emphasize the standard Topps stars since they seem to move faster.
  • MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I love the Hubbell; and I'd be proud to say I traded from an '86 common up to that. But I know that's not the end of the road...be patient and you'll get a good trade for that, a pre-war PSA 7 of a Hall Of Famer is good trade bait, you just gotta wait for the right fish to come along.

<< <i>Whodathunk that the Hubble would be harder to move than the 67s. I would think that in the future, emphasize the standard Topps stars since they seem to move faster. >>

The Hubble's tenure on the block hasn't quite surpassed that of the '67 lot yet. The Hubbell has been up for 22 days. The '67s were up for 46.

Also, I still think that pre-war is generally the best era to be in as far as finding the most activity for relatively high-dollar items, but it's probably more true for sets like T206, T205, Cracker Jacks and Goudeys than it is for the Play Ball sets. And, actually, the "Topps stars" haven't been my fastest movers. That distinction belongs to the '86 Alan Knicely, which moved in a day, and the '88 Fleer Basketball lot, 2 days... but I don't think it would necessarily be helpful at this point to pursue similar items. image
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I'll trade you for a yummy glazed donut.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

• No bites yet?

Just bumpin this baby back to the front.

<< <i>No bites yet?

Just bumpin this baby back to the front. >>

Thanks. Had some interesting back and forth earlier this week with a guy from the Net54 boards about a T206 or two, but ultimately we weren't able to work out a deal. Alas. Even though it didn't pan out, he was a good guy to talk to, and I picked up a bit of T206 education as a result.

So... that's the best I can report at this point.
  • baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭
    bump.

Whew!! Did I miss any? >>

Nope. That's the whole story so far. Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane. Hard to believe I've been at this for eight months already.

• << <i>Hard to believe I've been at this for eight months already. >>

Are you kidding me. Time flies when you are having fun!
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    Nice look back... I still like the 68 Mantle the best, it sure looks better than a 5!
    Wish I needed a Hubbell, maybe if was a year or so earlier image

<< <i>Wish I needed a Hubbell, maybe if was a year or so earlier image >>

Yeah, that's a nice one all right. Of course, he was also one of only three baseball players featured in the Sports Kings set... the other two being Ruth and Cobb. Pretty good company.
  • bhl2359bhl2359 Posts: 420
    BTTT
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭

Anything interesting that has come close? Just trying to stir up discussion. It's been a while.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

<< <i>Anything interesting that has come close? Just trying to stir up discussion. It's been a while. >>

Weird timing. I've actually got something cooking on this and may have a deal in place within the next 24 hours, but it may fall through yet, too.

Well, the deal did indeed come together. I'll probably have the new guy up next week sometime. I ended up in a much different place than I originally set out for with the Hubbell. In other words, it ain't pre-war. But it's definitely got... uh... panache. It'll be interesting (at least to me) to see how it pans out.
  • artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! Can't wait to see the new card.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    congrats

nice to see the project keep moving
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    This is the worest part... waiting to see what's new!
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Ahh! Anticipation is horrible. Can't wait!

/s/ JackWESQ
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    Cool! its a Pujols Rookie!
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    Excellent...can't wait!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • JVetteJVette Posts: 206
    Anxiously Anticipating!!