Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Does he have any?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Watch out he might have 2 pair or worse yet a full house..
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the bet on the table to be won is to see another man's balls, I am folding every time. Good call though Alan.

• << <i>When the bet on the table to be won is to see another man's balls, I am folding every time. Good call though Alan. >>

LOL

• << <i>When the bet on the table to be won is to see another man's balls, I am folding every time. Good call though Alan. >>

I thought we werent "conversing?" And you were "done" with me? Just cant stay away huh? image

Bryon, any updates? I've considered starting this set raw because the registry is very competative and has MANY high-grade cards in it. I have one of the 59 Fleer's in my Sox display though. It's a cool set.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you didn't dispute wanting to see Lee's balls.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Nick, you can't fault a guy for wanting to see beauty in the world.
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    This could get ugly. I bet Giovanni is going to feel left out and will make a youtube video about balls.
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

You didn't think someone would come out of the closet in this thread, huh?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Lets try and get back on track here, Bryon how is it going?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Teddy you got there, Bryon!image You did exactly the right thing by going back to just one card; doing the trades one (perhaps two at the most) at a time is the way to go. I have no doubt if you're patient enough, you will get that Mantle.
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars

<< <i>Lets try and get back on track here, Bryon how is it going?

Steve >>

Edited due to a change in circumstances.

Wow, what timing. Just got confirmation of a deal for the Williams. Should have the new card up next week, etc...
  • favorite thread...........glad to see it didn't have as long of a wait as the baseball lot.

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET

• << <i>Wow, what timing. Just got confirmation of a deal for the Williams. Should have the new card up next week, etc... >>

Good for you man, cant wait to see it!
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    cmon how about a hint, can't wait.

<< <i>cmon how about a hint, can't wait. >>

Well, I'll tell you this much... It's pretty much what I was looking for... a HOF'er from a pre-WWII set. And while I'm looking forward to it and think it will move me in the right direction, I doubt it's a trade that will generate very many thumbs-up emoticons around here. But, we'll see.

• << <i>

<< <i>cmon how about a hint, can't wait. >>

Well, I'll tell you this much... It's pretty much what I was looking for... a HOF'er from a pre-WWII set. And while I'm looking forward to it and think it will move me in the right direction, I doubt it's a trade that will generate very many thumbs-up emoticons around here. But, we'll see. >>

A pre-way HOFer will always get two thumbs up from me Bryon. Cant wait to see it!

• bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭

<< <i>a HOF'er from a pre-WWII set. And while I'm looking forward to it and think it will move me in the right direction, I doubt it's a trade that will generate very many thumbs-up emoticons around here. But, we'll see. >>

I will give you a image

Look forward to seeing the new card

<< <i>Well, I'll tell you this much... It's pretty much what I was looking for... a HOF'er from a pre-WWII set. And while I'm looking forward to it and think it will move me in the right direction, I doubt it's a trade that will generate very many thumbs-up emoticons around here. But, we'll see. >>

Re-reading this post I made earlier, it has kind of a whiny tone that was very much unintended... All I mean is that it's not really a card that's on everyone's want list.

• WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    T206 Cobb with Cobb reverse?
    Wondo

You don't need everyone, ya just need one. Keep up the good work.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, I'll tell you this much... It's pretty much what I was looking for... a HOF'er from a pre-WWII set. And while I'm looking forward to it and think it will move me in the right direction, I doubt it's a trade that will generate very many thumbs-up emoticons around here. But, we'll see. >>

Re-reading this post I made earlier, it has kind of a whiny tone that was very much unintended... All I mean is that it's not really a card that's on everyone's want list. >>

Oh bullpoop.

Just admit you're a dbag and proud of it.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Where is this card shipping from? Tibet? We are all waiting anxiously! hahaha
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football

<< <i>Where is this card shipping from? Tibet? We are all waiting anxiously! hahaha >>

Wrong thread, man! You must be thinking of lawnmowerman's Chuck Knoblach card. image

• TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Ha ha, I forgot about Chuck? Where is he?

Will your trade be completed by Monday?
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football

You know, we only agreed to the trade Thursday afternoon... and I don't know if the other guy has even shipped yet. So, Monday might be a bit optimistic. I'm sure it will get here in timely fashion.
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies

It's Tuesday... still no card Bryon?
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    Bryon,
    I would suggest that you force all future trade partners to use Express Mail or FedEx First to ship their end of the trade to you. Clearly, a couple days isn't acceptable to some people here. image
    Craig

• << <i>Bryon,
    I would suggest that you force all future trade partners to use Express Mail or FedEx First to ship their end of the trade to you. Clearly, a couple days isn't acceptable to some people here. image
    Craig >>

Yeah, force them... that makes perfect sense!

LOL
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
    I think you really need to try and trade for that phone booth on the other thread, it's one sought after item.

The new card has had to make its way from California to North Carolina... I imagine it will show up tomorrow or Friday.
  • Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been gone from the boards for a few months. I took the day off from work today just to read this thread and I get left with a cliffhanger! I'm going to clean out the garage, but I want to see a pic by the time the Braves game starts tonight.

Congrats with the continued chase. I await your next offering.

Jason

<< <i>I have been gone from the boards for a few months. I took the day off from work today just to read this thread and I get left with a cliffhanger! I'm going to clean out the garage, but I want to see a pic by the time the Braves game starts tonight. >>

You wouldn't happen to be my mail carrier would ya? Because I'm starting to think HE took the day off... It's after 5, and still no sign of the guy.

Good news... my mailman showed up for work today.

I got my pre-WWII-HOF'er wish with this 1940 Play Ball #87 Carl Hubbell PSA 7 in exchange for the '59 Fleer Williams.

imageimage

I'm sure this set is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think the card is a step in the right direction because I've really gotten it into my head that pre-war is the way to go for active high-dollar trading. I guess I'lll find out if I'm right or not.

As for the numbers game, the Hubbell in PSA 7 SMRs quite a bit lower than the Williams, but VCPs a tad higher... although that's based on only three recorded sales of the Hubbell, the latest going for $311 in August of last year.

One interesting note about this trade is that it was the first in this project that was made with someone who, as far as I know, is not a member of these boards. In fact, I received NO offers from board members on the Williams. What's up with that, my brothers??? image I made the trade with Larry Mayer who has many a set on the registry and is known to many of you already, I'm sure. Larry was great to work with. He also has a very impressive selection of cards for sale on his Web site... Larry's Vintage Baseball Cards.

PM or email me with any offers on the Hubbell... elemenopeo@gmail.com

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Nice Hubbell, Bryon! Good luck on the next trade. I wish I had something to offer, but I don't - I'll have to do what I've been doing, cheering from the sidelines.

• JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Byron,

I've been following this thread from the start, so my apologies if I missed this. But in a typical buy sell arrangement, the buyer sends payment and the seller send the card upon receipt of payment.

But in your trades, how does the logistics work? Presumably, there is 1) discussion between you and the other trader; 2) a trade is consummated; and 3) and then what? Who sends first? Do you both send at the same time? In this last trade, did you send the Williams first and then upon receipt by the other person, he/she sent the Hubbell? Just curious.

/s/ JackWESQ

Once a trade is agreed upon, I just assume that both I and the other person will send the cards off at our earliest convenience. I do wait to post any new item until I know for certain that the other person has received their item and everything is satisfactory.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Byron,

Thanks for the quick reply. I look forward to the announcement of your next trade.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Very nice card. That is a far cry fron Alan Ripley.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭✭
    I absoultely agree you are going in the right direction. After all the 1940 Playball is a classic pre-WWII set and is a HOFer in a nice grade.

Good luck with the next step!
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you made a nice trade. A pre-WWII Hof'er. Keep it up, you may get that Mantle yet.

Congrats...Donato image
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool Byron!

That's a great card! I'm looking forward to see what happens next.

Good luck!
    mike
    Mike
  • Congrats Bryon! Great looking card!
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,

Go Phillies
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Nice job on the trade. It's going to get very interesting from here on out.

"Molon Labe"

• Nice pickup Byron! Best of luck on the next deal!