I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    here's one that sold recently on ebay - $199
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Why is the one sold on Ebay numbered, and the one shown
    here by liff isn't?
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I offered a psa8 62 post mantle.. but he had to pass.. I sold it 2 days later for $250..
    to give you a gage
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I really do appreciate any and all offers, and I certainly hope no one takes offense when I turn them down... even when it's a boneheaded move. The decisions aren't always easy, and I'm sure I've made a few mistakes to this point, but hopefully I'll be able to make enough good decisions to eventually get where I want to go...

I've asked liffestynx for a bit more time to consider his offer with the hope that I'll be able to avoid making the wrong decision here. Another tough call, I think. Ah, well. "The hard is what makes it great," right? (No smartass comments, stown.)

• << <i>I really do appreciate any and all offers, and I certainly hope no one takes offense when I turn them down... even when it's a boneheaded move. The decisions aren't always easy, and I'm sure I've made a few mistakes to this point, but hopefully I'll be able to make enough good decisions to eventually get where I want to go...

I've asked liffestynx for a bit more time to consider his offer with the hope that I'll be able to avoid making the wrong decision here. Another tough call, I think. Ah, well. "The hard is what makes it great," right? (No smartass comments, stown.) >>

Well, coming from a person who's made a couple offers to you that were turned down, I can tell you that I know you certainly meant no offense. You have a goal, and you're making your best decision to realize that goal. Nobody should take offense.

I think this is the #1 best thread on these boards and I want you to reach your goal.

I do, however, think you might need to take a step back in value on this one.

Good luck on your next trade Bryon!

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I took no offense at all.. I always wonder myself what offers you are getting so i figured I would share mine..
    just for the sake of conversation
  • Not that my opinion is worth anything but I think you need to take a lateral or a step back and get this thing moving again.
  • jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭
    This has got to be the coolest thread on the whole forum. What a COOL idea. image

-- Ryan
    -- Ryan Bell
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    Bryon,

In my opinion you should stick with what you have for now. The right deal will come around. Patience is a virtue...even moreso in today's "rush to the mountaintop" society. Of course, whatever you choose is your business...

Hang in there...
    Craig
  • I agree at this point a step backward might be the best option.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't think it's appropriate for people to post their declined offers here.

Just seems kinda tacky but that's my opinion.

<< <i>hard >>

Uhhuhhuhuh.

You said hard.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • I agree with you Stown. Good call.

Ah, I've got no problem with it. We're just talking about cards, after all. And, by the way, stown calling out someone else on being tacky is the pot calling the whole stove black. image I really thought he was going to go with, "That's what she said," though.

<< <i>And, by the way, stown calling out someone else on being tacky is the pot calling the whole stove black. >>

May your quest for a '52 Mantle go the way of my Vegas thread.

*poof* and never to be discussed again.

Speaking of, I missed the replies. Did someone say something naughty?

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • The reason I posted my offer here at the same time as I made it was to give Bryon the benefit of the accumulated wisdom (!) available in these parts on the merits of the trade. Although it's one man's quest, I think he deserves all the help we can give him. Don't turn it into a reality show but on the other hand if someone is talking up the value of what they're offering excessively, I think we should let Bryon know - as I guess some have already done with my DiMaggio auto. I'm not complaining though - it's the best I have to offer at the moment.

Jonathan
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • Alright....it's time to let the cat out of the bag! Bryon turned my trade offer of a complete set of 1990 Donruss Baseball down. I don't know how he's going to make it without accepting very nice offers! Come on experts....tell Bryon what he just missed.
  • i offered him a 1986 Topps #418 Alan Knicely for the lot.

for some unknown reason, he declined...
  • Let's get this over with. I'll trade you a 52 Mantle for the 67 lot. image

<< <i>Let's get this over with. I'll trade you a 52 Mantle for the 67 lot. image >>

Deal. Thanks, man. Goodnight, everyone. Drive safe.
  • baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭
    That PSA 8 Post Mantle sounded like a chance to get you on the right track again, what kind of trades are you looking for exactly? At this point, does it really pay off to have "standards"? I am confused. I wish you all the best in this pursuit, but you got to get to a point and really look at what your trading, and getting in return. Just confused here, that's all.

All the best,
    Jeffimage
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Well, let's see: A 1962 Post PSA 8 Mantle sells for around $200 as of late, and a DiMaggio Signature Rookies sells for around $200 as of late. The 67s VCP at around $320. I'm confused as to why you are confused. Get off Bryon's back and let him do his thing. He's already made it clear that he'll be patient for the right deal to come along.

Lee
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Gotta admit though that Mantle's have a certain attraction.

"Molon Labe"

• ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoying this. I am new to this and PSA collecting. Can someone tell me what VCP is?

Thanks
    Stoney
  • DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    If you expect to move those 67 Topps, you are going to have to advertised outside of this forum. Everyone here knows about your current plight and if you were going to receive a decent off it would have most likely have come in by now.

It might be time for Craig's list!
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Really enjoying this. I am new to this and PSA collecting. Can someone tell me what VCP is?

Thanks
    Stoney >>

VCP=Vintage Card Pricing
    A pay website that gives you the recent sales price of cards in different grades.
  • Have you tried to forums over at baseball-fever.com and thebenchtrading.com ?

<< <i>Have you tried to forums over at baseball-fever.com and thebenchtrading.com ? >>

I do post on The Bench and a few other spots, but I hadn't heard of baseball-fever. I'll start hitting 'em up over there as well. Thanks.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I wonder why the Joe D card is only a 200.00 card? I would have thought his signature
    would be worth more. Was he that prolific?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Steve I think the Signature Rookies name has a lot to do with it. Kind of like the GEM grading of sports card companies. If that was an upper deck or topps insert it would sell for a lot more.
  • Yea, I suppose you're right , I can't figure any other reason the sig would be as cheap , the only reasons I see are , the sig is small and it is on that card .

Joe D cuts always sell for more than 200 as far as I am aware , I never got one for 200, my Joe D baseball cost 5 and change 2 years ago .

I'm going to go with because the signature is so small on the card it decreases the value of the sig ?

If that weren't the case and it was because of it being on that card , why not just cut it off and sell it as a cut for like 4-5 hundie ?

Very interesting . . .
    I think I might have taken that trade , but that is just me , this is not my deal , I would think it easy to move a Joe D sig for a good price or trade ,

Just my opinion
    To tell you the truth I was pretty surprised by the $200 price tag as well... and there are a few other fairly similar PSA/DNA slabbed Dimaggio autos that have sold for even less than that lately. Still, that WAS a tough call, but for better or worse, I did turn it down. Really appreciated the offer, though, of course.

And on a fairly important programming note... Apparently, several emails I've sent out in the past week or so have not reached their destinations, and I'm afraid that some responses to folks inquiring about the '67 lot were included. I've re-sent those using a different email account, but for anyone I may have missed.... If you sent me an email in recent days and it appears I've not responded, drop me a PM here or email me at landfsc@bellsouth.net
  • earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    on Joe D sigs...you can get an 8x10 psa/dna for under $200....often $150 range. a cut of Joe D on an index card with psa/dna is normally $125 range.
  • I guess then it comes down to the grade of the sig , because I have seen Joe D cuts go for a lot more than 200, especially at a shop .

Interesting the vary of the prices for the same sig ?
  • Would it be so bad to "undo" the trade for the 1967s? The Billy Martin RC has always been a pretty popular card among vintage collectors.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, dona nobis pacem.
    I think that would just be incredibly bad form. There's no way I'd ever "undo" any trade. Patience, folks. The right deal will come along for these eventually. I know it will.

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Good call, Bryon. I know we all want you to get your Mantle yesterday, but the anticipation of the next trade being posted makes the consummation of that trade that much sweeter, at least to me.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    i agree, good call. if it was that easy to trade an 86 topps card for a 52 mantle everybody would do it. just keep the faith and a decent trade will come along.
    good luck
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    I wish someone who collects 67's would just step up and make a trade so this can continue. I just have no interest in 67 commons or I would make a deal. Come on someone who collects those things STEP UP! I will try to do my part later and make a trade when I see something of interest to me. Come on let's not let this thing die here!
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    Just wondering... how much would each of these bring if they were sold 1 by 1 on ebay?

<< <i>Just wondering... how much would each of these bring if they were sold 1 by 1 on ebay? >>

Here are the latest average sale-price figures for each card from VCP. (All are PSA 8 except the last two, which are PSA 9s.)

212 Chris Zachary $8.75
    224 Walt Bond $9.75
    227 Paul Lindblad $14.84
    238 NL K LDRS (Koufax, Bunning, Veale) $24.17
    247 Jerry Lumpe $10.94
    260 Jim Lefebvre $11.63
    276 Bruce Brubaker $9.79
    334 Twin Terrors (Allison, Killebrew) $18.93
    512 Red Schoendienst $47.65
    588 Johnny Klippstein $25.56
    608 Cubs Rookies (Nye, Upham) $18.36
    101 Ken Johnson $60.33
    261 John Wyatt $32.89

Total = $293.59 ... which is down some from when I first picked them up.
    Bryon, I don't undertstand why you won't trade $300 in cards for a single $200 card. Could you please explain this to me?

I have a sub about to pop (hopefully). If there's anything in the $350-$400 range that I could conceivably get rid of, I'll see what I can do.

<< <i>Bryon, I don't undertstand why you won't trade $300 in cards for a single $200 card. Could you please explain this to me?

I have a sub about to pop (hopefully). If there's anything in the $350-$400 range that I could conceivably get rid of, I'll see what I can do. >>

Ha! Actually, as I've said from the start with this '67 lot, I'm not necessarily looking to gain value trading them off... I'd be perfectly satisfied with consolidating most, not all, of the value into something with wider appeal. (And, I must not be wording it very well because folks have repeatedly suggested I do just that... as if it were something I'd not yet considered.) So, something in the neighborhood of $250 would do just fine.... but if you find something in the $350-$400 range, well, that could work, too. image
    Have you put any though into trading the 67 lot for something of equal value but that more people might be interested in? Just something you might want to consider.

Also, when you made the trade for the 67 lot, did the other party involved say "No backsies" at any point during the transaction? If not, you might want to think about trading them back.

• << <i>Also, when you made the trade for the 67 lot, did the other party involved say "No backsies" at any point during the transaction? If not, you might want to think about trading them back. >>

Close. The other party actually said "No untradies", so he's out of luck.

<< <i>

<< <i>Also, when you made the trade for the 67 lot, did the other party involved say "No backsies" at any point during the transaction? If not, you might want to think about trading them back. >>

Close. The other party actually said "No untradies", so he's out of luck. >>

Maybe I could just "undo" every trade thus far, one by one, until I get my Knicely back and start from scratch.

Joking, of course. But I do wonder from time to time about what has become of the cards I've traded away... if the folks I traded with still have them or if they have sold or traded them away themselves. I hope that Knicely card is in a place of honor, Mr. Zodiacmindwarp! Feel free to post here and let me know... (Anything to bump the thread. image)
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    No luck with the 67 set guys?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭
    I think the idea of keeping trades going is what you need to be doing. You had a chance at a Joe D. PSA/DNA auto., you turned it down, a PSA 8 '61 Post Mantle, you turned it down. I think if your waiting for the "right" trade to come along, it'll come along later too, every trade is a trade in the right direction, as long as your not getting poor cards *cough*, but getting a nice card in return. Anyways, I wish you all the best, but I don't see how your setting your standards on what's an acceptable trade, and not. Then again, you've got someone looking to see in there recent submission for a $350 to $400 card to trade you. You ask me, that's more of a sucker bet.

Good luck, I truly wish you all the best! I just wonder what you decide as acceptable, and not. It's been unclear looking back at what you've been picking up.

• << <i>But I do wonder from time to time about what has become of the cards I've traded away... if the folks I traded with still have them or if they have sold or traded them away themselves. I hope that Knicely card is in a place of honor, Mr. Zodiacmindwarp! Feel free to post here and let me know... (Anything to bump the thread. image) >>

Hey Bryon.....It only took you two months to unload your Marino but I've still got it if you want to do a "untradesies"! LOL. Hell, I'm not giving up the Marino until I get full value for it.....maybe a '52 Mantle?

P.S.....My previous offer is still an option if you want to pursue it!
    500!