Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Way to go!

The naysayers can put that in their pipe and smoke it.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Great work Bryon,

Although I did suggest taking a step back in order to move forward, I was never a nay-sayer about the trade itself. So I love Stown's comment!

Your patience paid off my friend. Good for you!

And, on a side note, it's really cool of you to support Pete14Rose in his quest as well. Very classy.

Take it easy man!
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    Nay.

• ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>Nay. >>

Wow, I never would've guessed. My naydar must be on the fritz.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    back to hiding

<< <i>

<< <i>Nay. >>

Wow, I never would've guessed. My naydar must be on the fritz. >>

• ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    scan scan scan scan scan scan scan scan scan scan...

• << <i>scan scan scan scan scan scan scan scan scan scan... >>

I second that!
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"

Got it...

imageimage

Fresh from the mailman... a 1959 Fleer Ted Williams #70 "Ted Williams & Jim Thorpe" PSA 9. It was sent by Wondo in exchange for the 13-card lot of 1967 Topps. And that's the second trade I've made with Wondo to this point. (Earlier, he traded me the '84 Donruss Don Mattingly RC for the 1964 Philadelphia Forrest Gregg PSA 6.) I WAS hoping to make it all the way through to the Mantle without trading with the same person twice, but as others have already argued, who the hell cares? And it was the exact kind of deal I was looking for -- a single, graded, vintage card that consolidated the value of the cards in the '67 lot while also offering wider appeal. On top of that, it's from a set that I love. (My avatar is a portion of card #33.) So, in the end, it wasn't too tough a decision for me to relieve Wondo of this beauty.

As usual, I'll entertain any and all trade ideas for the Williams/Thorpe... but, if possible, I'd particularly like to pick up something pre-war in exchange this time around. While combing through the various trade boards when I first started trying to move the '67s, it quickly became obvious that there's much more trading activity of single cards in this price range and higher in the pre-war categories than post-war. So, I think I need to move into that neighborhood for a while and soon, if I can swing it... And just because I usually mention it (and because I want to irk stown a little bit), VCP has the average eBay selling price for the Williams/Thorpe in PSA 9 at $268.

Thanks again, all. Anyone with ideas for a trade can send me a PM or email me at elemenopeo@gmail.com

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Got it...

imageimage

Fresh from the mailman... a 1959 Fleer Ted Williams #70 "Ted Williams & Jim Thorpe" PSA 9. It was sent by Wondo in exchange for the 13-card lot of 1967 Topps. And that's the second trade I've made with Wondo to this point. (Earlier, he traded me the '84 Donruss Don Mattingly RC for the 1964 Philadelphia Forrest Gregg PSA 6.) I WAS hoping to make it all the way through to the Mantle without trading with the same person twice, but as others have already argued, who the hell cares? And it was the exact kind of deal I was looking for -- a single, graded, vintage card that consolidated the value of the cards in the '67 lot while also offering wider appeal. On top of that, it's from a set that I love. (My avatar is a portion of card #33.) So, in the end, it wasn't too tough a decision for me to relieve Wondo of this beauty.

As usual, I'll entertain any and all trade ideas for the Williams/Thorpe... but, if possible, I'd particularly like to pick up something pre-war in exchange this time around. While combing through the various trade boards when I first started trying to move the '67s, it quickly became obvious that there's much more trading activity of single cards in this price range and higher in the pre-war categories than post-war. So, I think I need to move into that neighborhood for a while and soon, if I can swing it... And just because I usually mention it (and because I want to irk stown a little bit), VCP has the average eBay selling price for the Williams/Thorpe in PSA 9 at $268.

Thanks again, all. Anyone with ideas for a trade can send me a PM or email me at elemenopeo@gmail.com >>

that is a nice card -- I would want to keep it.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    John (Wondo) is an absolutely class act! I just completed a trade with him this week. That's a sweet card! Congrats to you both!
  • I dont know anything about that set, but it does look very nice.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job! image
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Looks like John Wayne and the Everyone Loves Raymond guy.

Nice card/trade.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    very nice card, extremely desirable as well. Psa 9 OMG!!! Good going!

Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 9 - Last 5 Sales Average Price: $268.94
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Bryon.

Great card and worthy of far more than a can of artichokes! I may have ta take you up on that!

Seriously, good luck on the next trade!

mike
    Mike
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    : standing ovation for both parties :
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Great deal!!

Bryon did I understand you right? Pre war this time?

Wouldn't a post war mays, clemente, koufax and the like do as well?

Wondo to the rescue!

Steve

Good for you.

<< <i>Wouldn't a post war mays, clemente, koufax and the like do as well? >>

I'm open to any and all trade ideas and would absolutley love to entertain offers of cards of players like those you mentioned... I'm just saying that there's a lot more trading activity at this value level in pre-war cards than in post-war. So, since it may make it easier to keep things moving with pre-war cards than post-war, I just want to specifically encourage offers in that direction.

And thanks for the nice comments, all!
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    I love this thread.

I am also surprised that it took so long to move the '67 lot.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
    That's quite a beaut you landed, Bryon. Congrats on the trade!
  • DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Very nice card. I don't have anything I would like to trade for it though.

Time to go back to the Ted Williams Registry sets for offers.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    That's a beauty. I am sure that will move quickly!
  • I have a bunch of nongraded cards that I maybe would trade for that.
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Very, very nice! Great job on being so patient.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Great card and trade, and so far no naysayers....I wonder how long that will last?
    Congrats on your patience and perseverance!

Bob....
  • bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    That is one sweet card! congrats on making a deal.

Jake
  • imageimage

The wait is over! Nice card~!

Great trade Wondo! Class Act!!

NOW who's next??
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Beautiful card Bryon! Great trade both of you.
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • That is a nice looking card, congrats on the trade.
  • Way to go Bryon, no matter how much BS gets throw your way you are always classyimage
  • Moving to the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.....

• artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Any news on the next trade?
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies

<< <i>Way to go Bryon, no matter how much BS gets throw your way you are always classyimage >>

I thought I have been following this thread well but people have made several comments that confuse me. Could you point out this BS thrown Bryon's way? I was under the impression that most were enjoying this thread.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.

<< <i>I thought I have been following this thread well but people have made several comments that confuse me... >>

We're in the same boat, I'd say. I'm even confused by my own comments here sometimes.

No real news to report on the Williams front so far. I sent out exploratory emails to all the folks with Williams sets on the registry yesterday and have had a few interesting responses from that, but nothing that's lead to a deal as yet.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Clemaz is referring to a few weeks ago when some of the posters were saying Bryon should divide up the 1967 lot he had and consolidate later, or take a lesser value single card in trade to get back on track. Just stuff like that, and there was a lot of it for a while.

<< <i>I think Clemaz is referring to a few weeks ago when some of the posters were saying Bryon should divide up the 1967 lot he had and consolidate later, or take a lesser value single card in trade to get back on track. Just stuff like that, and there was a lot of it for a while. >>

The only other like example I can think of, is when a couple people, myself included, suggested that perhaps ebay would be a better way for the Clemens card. However, never once do I remember anyone attacking or making their comment rude.

So is it your point Nam and Clemez, that giving any suggestion is throwing BS and makes you a nay sayer? If so, I think your bar is a little low.

<< <i>......So is it your point Nam........ >>

Nam? Hey, I'm a reader like you. You asked a question, and I tried to find you an answer. When you didn't know what BS was being slung (obviously, since you didn't consider any of that BS), I just went back and showed you a few of the possibilities he may have meant. All clear now?

"Nam? Hey, I'm a reader like you. You asked a question, and I tried to find you an answer."

You answered which is why I tied your name in.

"When you didn't know what BS was being slung (obviously, since you didn't consider any of that BS), I just went back and showed you a few of the possibilities he may have meant. All clear now?"

I guess I don't know what BS is because you pointed out a single example and I failed to see it in your example.

Mark

<< <i>I guess I don't know what BS is because you pointed out a single example...... >>

I actually pointed out 2, and to clear up another misreading, I didnt say the 2 I pointed out were BS, only that maybe the poster that commented that BS was getting throw at Bryon may have thought that the 2 i mentioned were the BS in question, or maybe he was referring to other comments in the thread altogether. You'd have to ask him yourself for a more definitive answer. All clear this time?
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nick stop the BS ok?

Steve

Good for you.

Yeah, now, see... case in point. I'm starting to get confused again. Are we actually discussing the semantics of BS?
    In hindsight I should have stuck a sharp fork directly into my eye than try to help. image Carry on Bryon.
  • ttt

<< <i>ttt >>

Muchas gracias. Still nothing to report, but there are semi-active talks going on.
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    What? This is now on page five?

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I can offer an autographed picture of my balls.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭
    Typical poker player.

He's bluffing!
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • I call.