Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• This thread needs a bump (and somebody to trade for the Landis Autograph)
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Any updates?
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I think it is important to stick with wide appeal cards
    the market on stuff like this is sooo narrow.. there is someone out
    there that will be interested but finding him/ her may slow your process considerably
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Esp. since such person would have to give up something in return.
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Yeah, no updates here, I'm afraid, but I've really not had much time to spend on it. I'm still swamped with trying to get my ass out of Charlotte and up to Cincy, and, long story short and understated, it's not going smoothly.

I will point out, though, as I've probably done a few times before, is that there are no deadlines for any of this. If it takes a while, it takes a while, and I've got no problem with that. I'm confident that the Landis letter will pan out well eventually. While I agree that it would be nice to put up wide-appeal items with each and every trade, those options aren't always readily available either... plus, I think it may actually be through the more rare or niche items, like the Landis letter, that I may be able to gain the most ground. I appreciate the advice on how best to do this, though.
  • purduepetepurduepete Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    I've been following this interesting thread for a while now, and I'd like to provide you with another avenue towards completing your quest.

Whenever you make it to Cincinnati, you might give Sports Investments a try.

I don't know if that's something you would consider (or even if they would be willing to make a trade with you), but they deal with quite a bit of offbeat memorabilia. And since your letter has a Cincinnati mailing address, it could be something that they might be interested in.

Anyway, I hope that this helps...and good luck!
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards

I'll definitely pay them a visit when I get up there. Thanks for the tip!
  • A little bump for a thread that was way too far down. Any new news?
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Any news?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't even seen Bryon around lately. I think he was busy with a big move to a new state.
  • Is this the end of the line for this thread?
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    If he can move a 1986 Topps common, I'm sure he can move this.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Hey, all... Thanks for the thread bumps and inquiries, etc... But I've been neck-deep in crapola lately (I'll spare you the details) and have pretty much set all things hobby-related aside until the crapola recedes at least back to the knee-deep level or so.

So, this ain't the end of this thread or project. I'll get back to it... hopefully soon.
  • TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Good luck resolving your issues. The nice thing about the hobby is it will always been there waiting when you are ready to jump back in.

Has anybody sent you any offers for the Landis auto?
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Any update?

• << <i>Any update? >>

Yes. He changed his target to a Kennesaw Landis letter. He's done.
  • TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    BUMP....

Hope all is going well with the letter. That's pretty sweet! I mean come on...he had an 86 Topps common. He's not done!
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football

• << <i>BUMP....

Hope all is going well with the letter. That's pretty sweet! I mean come on...he had an 86 Topps common. He's not done! >>

succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • It is a shame that there is no activity on this thread. Are you still alive Elemnopeo?

<< <i>It is a shame that there is no activity on this thread. Are you still alive Elemnopeo? >>

Alive and well and now living in Cincy (finally). Thanks for asking.

As to the Mantle project.... still pursuing... and will likely send the Landis letter in to PSA/DNA soon... might as well.

• purduepetepurduepete Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Cincy area - I moved here about 2 yrs. ago myself. You'll be happy to know that there are a number of card shops in the metro area, and there is usually a card show nearly every month of the year.

Good luck again on trading your Landis letter!
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • imageimage

Go Phillies

Go Phillies
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
  • waiting with baited breath.....

Go Phillies
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    any updates??

• Unfortunately, the only update I have is that I'm about to walk to the nearest bar to drown my sorrows. image I have little hope that many offers for the Landis letter will accumulate in the meantime, but thanks for asking.

Eventually, this will get back on track... I think.
    beer is good, makes yer feet growimage
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not take a step backwards? Trade for something with perhaps less value but is more marketable to get back on track.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• agreed, feels like this has ground to a dead end with Landis.
  • i think you should get back on the "PSA graded card " theme, and off the "controversial figure signature" theme.....

a step back may just be what this project needed.....
  • I'll trade you an '86 Knicely for the Landis auto. It has an outside shot at a PSA 8 NQ.

PM sent.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Take the Landis letter to the Moeller show here in Cincy next week. You may be able to find a trade there.

Welcome to Cincy.

Go Phillies
  • wow, been a long time with no trade....has the Landis letter become the kiss of death?
    good luckimage
  • hows the next trade going?

a bit stalled out?

maybe if you stayed away from racist pieces, especially in a time when a black man is president, this quest may have continued....
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hows the next trade going?

a bit stalled out?

maybe if you stayed away from racist pieces, especially in a time when a black man is president, this quest may have continued.... >>

hmmm, wasn't aware that Obama was president back on June 30, which is when Bryon put the Landis letter up. He wasn't even officially nominated until late August at the DNC.

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

a bit stalled out?

maybe if you stayed away from racist pieces, especially in a time when a black man is president, this quest may have continued.... >>

Dude, you need to not say dumb things like that. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson owned slaves in there time and when Landis was commissioner it was much more acceptable to be a racist. Why do you always say things that make people scratch their heads with a collective "huh"? I don't want to derail this thread that I enjoy so much, so if you have a response, please start a new thread or PM me. I have too much respect for this board and the thinking people on it to say anything further here.
  • How is this fool not been banned yet adn certain valued members haven been? Surely enough of us have reported his posts by now.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Based on the various career fields that Landis followed, it seems that
    there should be a very broad interest in his papers/siggy.

It may be worthwhile to look for trades among union historians and
    political/judicial hobbyists. Baseball was only one element of Landis.

Boxing memorabilia collectors might be interested, based on the Johnson
    issue.

Wiki Landis
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I wish I had something to trade to get this thing going again.

Bryon keep on keeping on.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

a bit stalled out?

typical fandango class.
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

a bit stalled out?

TOOL
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Fandango=Schmuck!