Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>hows the next trade going?

a bit stalled out?

maybe if you stayed away from racist pieces, especially in a time when a black man is president, this quest may have continued.... >>

This is officially the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

• << <i>

a bit stalled out?

maybe if you stayed away from racist pieces, especially in a time when a black man is president, this quest may have continued.... >>

Chris >>

It's in my top 3, definitely.

• << <i>hows the next trade going?

a bit stalled out?

The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    hes black?????????really
    steve martin the jerk" ya mean im not black?????"
    classic, ya dont like it, stick it,thank you

• << <i>hows the next trade going?

a bit stalled out?

"I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP" -Albert Pujols
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>

a bit stalled out?

Chris >>

Stick around Chris...I am sure he can think of more stupid things to post!
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    I am dying to see this move ahead. I want to see another trade.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection

<< <i>I am dying to see this move ahead. I want to see another trade. >>

Actually have something cooking, but it will likely be a week or two before I know if it will actually come together or not. It's one of those deals that depends on another deal, yada, yada, yada.

Also, funny story... the other day so-and-so board member sends me a PM, asking, "How about a 1973 Topps #1 Hank Aaron HR card in PSA 9?" which tends to sell at about $500+. I was pretty excited and damn near pulled a muscle replying as quickly as possible, but my reply was met with a sort of "WTF?" and the explanation that he was only looking for VCP help. Doh!

• TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Let me get this straight . . . someone offered to trade you the Aaron, but they were just doing it so they could get a VCP quote? That's a pretty shady thing to do if that's what he did.
  • baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭
    I agree, lets stone him, who was it?

Jeff

<< <i>Let me get this straight . . . someone offered to trade you the Aaron, but they were just doing it so they could get a VCP quote? That's a pretty shady thing to do if that's what he did. >>

No, no, no. I just misunderstood his question. On the particular day, there were a few posts to this thread, so that's what I had on the brain at the time. But I had also just replied to one of those "Need VCP on..." threads with the info requested. Hence the communication gap... It seemed kind of funny at the time. Guess you had to be there.

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "... It seemed kind of funny at the time. Guess you had to be there..."

///////////////////////

It is funny.

You need to keep track of all the stuff that happens during the
    whole process. Some should be added to the final story.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Wrong thread
  • Maybe Fandango's right, This is all Obama's fault image

• << <i>Maybe Fandango's right, This is all Obama's fault image >>

On the contrary... to paraphrase and grossly misquote President-elect Obama... "In the end, hope is what this is about. It's the hope of a CU board member with a funny name who believes that he can turn a 1986 Topps common into one of the most iconic cards in the hobby. Hope in the face of difficulty. Hope in the face of uncertainty. The audacity of hope."

Reached a deal on the Landis letter at last. It'll probably take a week or more for the new card to arrive. Thank you and woohoo.

• thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭
    congrats --- back on track
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Sweet!
  • hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't wait to see whats next
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! Can not wait to see what it is~!!!
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Woo hoo!

So you introduced the Landis letter on June 30, 2008 (on page 38) and about 6 months later will introduce the next card. Now that's patience and persistence!

Many congratulations!

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Congrats!!
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Sweet, the dream lives.
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Way to go. I really want to see what's up next.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Hey, I just picked up a low grade 52 Mantle and want to trade it for the Landis letter if you still have it, let me know...

Damn, too late. And I really wanted that Landis letter too. Let me know who has it so I can see if THEY want my Mantle
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    nice can't wait to see it
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• << <i>Hey, I just picked up a low grade 52 Mantle and want to trade it for the Landis letter if you still have it, let me know...

Damn, too late. And I really wanted that Landis letter too. Let me know who has it so I can see if THEY want my Mantle >>

Imagine how I feel, I wanted to trade my 52 Mantle for the 86 Knicely but it was long gone.
  • Those Knicelys are tough to get and usually get snatched up pretty quickly by the savvy collectors. I keep it as a saved search in my ebay search list but that card hasn't come up for sale in a long time. It's on my 2009 collecting goals to get one though.

Dare to dream...
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
    Dear Blackborder and 41GoudeyGuy,

Well, they do say that timing is everything. Imagine what might have been.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    hey at least ya got rid of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image
    Dear Elemenopeo,

I know it's a little bit late in the game, but can you imagine where you would be now if you had started with a 1986 Topps TIFFANY Alan Knicely? Or even 1986 Topps Alan Knicely PSA 9? Or even the grandaddy of them all, an AUTOGRAPHED 1986 Topps Alan Knicely? But I suppose when you reach your Mantle, it will be all the more impressive that you started with a base Knicely.

/s/ JackWESQ

Hah! I'm so tempted to post my brother-in-law's email address here so that you can alll send your thoughts on this matter to him regarding the trade of the Landis letter. Blame that m.f. for taking me out to a local bar (on a Monday night, mind you) and buying me a sufficient amount of drinks to the point that I think it best to wait until late Tuesday morning, at the earliest, to respond to all this evening's posts. For now, I'll just say y'all are the best, and thanks for your patience and support. And that fandango can bite me. image (Quote it while you can.)

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And that fandango can bite me. image (Quote it while you can.) >>

Consider it done.

Can't wait to see what you ended up with, Bryon. I commend your patience.

<< <i>(on a Monday night, mind you) >>

Or is it Tuesday night? Damn brothers-in-law.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

• << <i>

<< <i>(on a Monday night, mind you) >>

Or is it Tuesday night? Damn brothers-in-law. >>

Any updates? Of did you get the dreaded 3 day hangover? image

<< <i>Any updates? Of did you get the dreaded 3 day hangover? image >>

The only update is that I found out yesterday my brother-in-law smashed up his knee when he slipped on the ice walking home from the bar. It's literally a walk of about half a block. I can't wait to razz him about needing a designated walker.

• << <i>

<< <i>Any updates? Of did you get the dreaded 3 day hangover? image >>

The only update is that I found out yesterday my brother-in-law smashed up his knee when he slipped on the ice walking home from the bar. It's literally a walk of about half a block. I can't wait to razz him about needing a designated walker. >>

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

<< <i>image >>

Well, you can sleep in until about Monday or Tuesday. image

• mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    You're killing me, smalls.

• The new guy.... a 1951 Bowman Warren Spahn PSA 8 picked up in an exchange with gumbyfan for the Landis letter. Thanks again, Craig.

imageimage

The VCP data...

9/21/08 eBay $306.00
    8/31/08 eBay $426.01
    8/19/08 eBay $475.00 (BIN)
    2/14/08 Mile High $465.30
    10/1/07 eBay $307.00
    5/24/07 eBay $335.85
    12/3/06 eBay $447.77
    11/16/05 Memory Lane $656.00

I suppose it's worth noting that my Spahn is the same copy that sold on 8/19/08 for $475.

It took awhile, but I'm very happy with this trade. I believe the card is solidly in line with the value of the Landis letter, and it's pretty clearly a step up in value from the Griffey RC which I traded for the letter.

So, onward and hopefully upward. I still have a hankering for pre-war items, but I'm always willing to consider ANY ideas for a trade.... PM or email..... elemenopeo@gmail.com

• Gumbyfan is the Mother Teresa of the boards lately. Great trade Byron!
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Not saying anything bad about the trade but that card did not get a ST qualifier with that wax stain??

• << <i>Not saying anything bad about the trade but that card did not get a ST qualifier with that wax stain?? >>

I'm no expert on these, but it's my understanding that such staining is rampant on the early Bowman issues because there was only one card in each pack... and if I remember right, the staining is actually not from wax but from a cookie that the cards came with. So, because some degree of staining seems more expected than not, the early Bowman issues probably get more leniency on that than would most other issues... Just a theory.

• the wax will not get a qualifier on early issues in most situations. Elemenopeo is correct.
  • This one will move quick!

Nice trade Gents!
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Bryon - I'm very happy for you. Good luck with the Spahn! We all can't wait to see what comes up next.

Craig - thanks for helping Bryon along with his cause. Whatcha gonna do with the Landis letter? I'm thinking you should donate it to the HOF in Fandango's name.

edit: 900! Didn't even realize it until I finished posting.

edit #2: BTW, I'm kidding about donating anything to anyone in Fandango's name. He doesn't deserve anything that nice for the punk arse comments he made in this thread. Heck, not just this thread.