Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• << <i>If it means anything my wife gave me permission to buy a '52 Mantle back when the MSN discount was 25%. Rather than adding more debt I opted to pay more on the student loans. >>

Bad move. We will always be in debt in one way or another, but it is a rarity to get 25% off of a Mantle Rookie.

• << <i>

<< <i>If it means anything my wife gave me permission to buy a '52 Mantle back when the MSN discount was 25%. Rather than adding more debt I opted to pay more on the student loans. >>

Bad move. We will always be in debt in one way or another, but it is a rarity to get 25% off of a Mantle Rookie. >>

I can agree with that but maybe there will be another opportunity to get one with a discount. Besides, the copies available at that time didn't have the best price tag even with a discount. I accept that life has debt but I look forward to getting the loans paid off.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    the msn discount was a max $200 cap

• << <i>the msn discount was a max $200 cap >>

Didn't know that. Guess that settles that.
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>Anything new to report?

Robert >>

Nada. The Spahn remains deskbound.

• BTTT
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    That's a nice looking card. Good luck!

Thanks. Haven't a decent bite in a while, but I've got lots of faith.

Seems like as good a reason as any for a bump... I've been saving all my postage receipts since the beginning of this whole deal, and tallying all 16 up just now discovered that the damage is $96.51 to date. Lots o' Priority Mail. Lots o' insurance.

• << <i>Seems like as good a reason as any for a bump... I've been saving all my postage receipts since the beginning of this whole deal, and tallying all 16 up just now discovered that the damage is $96.51 to date. Lots o' Priority Mail. Lots o' insurance. >>

So how much insurance did you buy when you sent the Knicely card?
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets

Well, of course.... of course, that would be zero, but I trusted in the Lord. Thanks for asking.

• << <i>Seems like as good a reason as any for a bump... I've been saving all my postage receipts since the beginning of this whole deal, and tallying all 16 up just now discovered that the damage is $96.51 to date. Lots o' Priority Mail. Lots o' insurance. >>

I will gladly send you $105.00 for the Spahn shipped to me priority, it is Beautiful. Plus you make a few cents on the Knicely.image

-John
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Any movement?

/s/ JackWESQ

No movement or trade talks on the Spahn to speak of, but there may be an interesting development for the project as a whole coming soon... Stay tuned. image
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    can't wait to here whats next
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>can't wait to here whats next >>

I too am looking forward to your next move.

Good luck...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Was the Landis letter sent to PSA/DNA, before the Spahn trade?

Just curious! image

rd

• << <i>Was the Landis letter sent to PSA/DNA, before the Spahn trade?

Just curious! image

rd >>

I don't believe so
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was the Landis letter sent to PSA/DNA, before the Spahn trade?

Just curious! image

rd >>

No, I sent it in a few weeks after the trade. It's already on it's way back from PSA/DNA. image
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • 2 week bump. Let's see another trade!
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No movement or trade talks on the Spahn to speak of, but there may be an interesting development for the project as a whole coming soon... Stay tuned. image >>

We've stayed tuned.
  • What is the value on that Spahn? I might want to try and help things along.

• << <i>We've stayed tuned. >>

Well, long story short there, is that there was (and may still be, I suppose) a possibility that Mr. Alan Knicely was going to get involved in the project one way or another. But there was a communication glitch a couple weeks ago with the guy who was talking to Knicely for me. My Outlook Express marked as read an email that was pretty critical image, and as a result, I was late in responding and it's unclear if that's going to come together anymore.

Pretty bummed out about it really. Thought that would've been pretty cool.

• << <i>What is the value on that Spahn? I might want to try and help things along. >>

The VCP data...

9/21/08 eBay $306.00
    8/31/08 eBay $426.01
    8/19/08 eBay $475.00 (BIN) (this one is actually the card I now have )
    2/14/08 Mile High $465.30
    10/1/07 eBay $307.00
    5/24/07 eBay $335.85
    12/3/06 eBay $447.77
    11/16/05 Memory Lane $656.00

Look forward to hearing from you. image

Over 2 months on the Spahn now! Kind of shocking.

Good luck.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

• << <i>Over 2 months on the Spahn now! Kind of shocking.

Good luck. >>

It ain't from a lack of fair offers, though... just haven't gotten the right one yet.
    Maybe a bit of guidance for what you're looking for would help.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Not really surprising, I think the high $$ cards might take a bit longer to move, but you will find the right trade!
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    This is a marathon, not a quick sprint.

Damn ADD/ADHD/ADHADDADDDDA is killing our short sighted society.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Thought it would be of interest to folks that the gone-but-not-forgotten Landis-signed letter sold for 500 bones on eBay.

Link to completed listing.

Congrats, Craig!

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice!! I remember slide kelly slide boasting how he paid 50.00 for it.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Any movement, significant or otherwise, to report?

/s/ JackWESQ
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies

Nuttin'... nada... I haven't been shopping it around much lately at all. Gotta get back on it.

Thought it'd be prudent to note that a Mile High auction for a 1951 Bowman Warren Spahn PSA 8 ended this evening with a final hammer of $390...

LINK

• purduepetepurduepete Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth...

It looks like yours is centered slightly better L/R, and has much better registration than the one that just sold for $390.

My 2 cents...
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • the auction isnt over and the 390.00 does NOT include BP which makes the card worth 458.25 if no more bids come in..

they are in the 15 minute period right now... I should know Im sitting here waiting for someone to top my bid on some items...so I can top theirs..and win the stuff...
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
    A 1951 Bowman Warren Spahn PSA 8 ended tonight with a high bid of $350.62, to wit:

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. Bryon's PSA 8 looks much nicer (pictured second).

• DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Is this project officially dead?

<< <i>Is this project officially dead? >>

Nobody thought this was going to happen overnight, did they? He's only had the Spahn for about 3.5 months, so its far from dead. I think most people assumed that the trades would get more difficult as the values went up.

This isn't a sprint...
  • Just got caught up on this thread. Good reading and some good trades. Keep this baby going.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso

Go Phillies

Seriously thinking about giving uo the ghost on this... Too much other stuff going on in my life... And other folks taking on their own similar projects (God bless 'em)... Too many people thinking that I'm trying to scam whomever I can... Really think it might be better just to say I got this far, and donate the proceeeds to the douchebags who keep asking what's taking so long.

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Bryon, don't let the douchebags get you down. Nobody realistically thought this quest would happen overnight, least of all you. I'd like think that some of us will still be around however long it takes you to complete it. I really hope you reconsider and stay the course.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Seriously thinking about giving uo the ghost on this... Too much other stuff going on in my life... And other folks taking on their own similar projects (God bless 'em)... Too many people thinking that I'm trying to scam whomever I can... Really think it might be better just to say I got this far, and donate the proceeeds to the douchebags who keep asking what's taking so long.

Personally, I think you should spend every minute of every day trying to get towards the goal of owning a $5000 card. Obviously you'll have to quit your job, but we're talking about a $5000 card here.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    i would keep going, if it happened in a week everyone would do it.

what do they care if it takes longer its not their project.

maybe a lateral move to change up the card for trade, who knows but don't give them the satisfaction of quiting now, it a slow process.

good luck
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

<< <i>Seriously thinking about giving uo the ghost on this... Too much other stuff going on in my life... And other folks taking on their own similar projects (God bless 'em)... Too many people thinking that I'm trying to scam whomever I can... Really think it might be better just to say I got this far, and donate the proceeeds to the douchebags who keep asking what's taking so long. >>

Bryon, don't let the d-bags get you down! The right trade will come along and then there will likely be another wait before another trade is made. Reasonable people would understand that this isn't going to happen overnight. It's been said a number of times in this thread that the trades will get more difficult as you progresses. Hold your ground and eventually you'll get there. If anyone really thinks you're scamming, they're not worth the bandwidth they're wasting!!

Don't let the bastiges win!
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    1000!

Good luck with whatever you decide!