Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not have any inside info, and would love to see this continue. But if it is over, I would like to see the conclusion according to the original rules. >>

/////////////////

I have no clue if "it is over," but the "original rules" were pretty clear:

"......my plan for the Mantle, if and when I acquire it, is this: to hold on to it long enough to enjoy it for a while and show it off to family and friends (a few months, I imagine); then, auction it off and split the net proceeds with half going to charity and the other half going into my 2-year-old daughter's college savings plan."

I hope the project continues; if not, such is life.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • thanks for quoting me, notice he never achieved the Mantle. So if he is quitting, the remaing card should be on the block immediately, why should he profit from a Kincely common? No offense to the OP, just those who want to chime in. KEEP THE PROJECT GOING!
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks for quoting me, notice he never achieved the Mantle. So if he is quitting, the remaing card should be on the block immediately, why should he profit from a Kincely common? No offense to the OP, just those who want to chime in. KEEP THE PROJECT GOING! >>

////////////////////////////

On the one hand you want the "original rules" to apply.

On the other hand you want "new rules" to apply.

Under the "original rules,".................

The project director is free to do whatever he wants with
    ANY card that he acquires........ other than the Mantle.

I agree that the project should "keep going," but it is not
    up to me to decide that.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks for quoting me, notice he never achieved the Mantle. So if he is quitting, the remaing card should be on the block immediately, why should he profit from a Kincely common? No offense to the OP, just those who want to chime in. KEEP THE PROJECT GOING! >>

Which card did you trade him?
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I say he can keep the spahn..

he traded for the spahn.. after many upgrades.. not Knicely for Spahn
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

After considering selling the Spahn immediately and running away to Argentina with the ill-gotten loot, I've decided instead to continue to hold onto the card for the time being and keep my options open... including the Argentina thing.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    You could sell the Spahn and buy skilow some couth, but you may have to throw a few bucks in to get that done.

Take your time, you've earned it.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You could sell the Spahn and buy skilow some couth,

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>Here is an idea, anyone willing to step up and continue this project? >>

how about a new project??

I would love to try for a Psa 1 33 goudey Babe Ruth (any of the four)
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies

<< <i>After considering selling the Spahn immediately and running away to Argentina with the ill-gotten loot, I've decided instead to continue to hold onto the card for the time being and keep my options open... including the Argentina thing. >>

Very smart idea. You never know when the right trade will present itself.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    ttt
  • Almost bought the 1986 Topps Alan Knicely PSA 10 on eBay because of this thread....and I bet I am not the only one (?). (Well, that and my slight addiction to 80s Topps PSA cards).
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>After considering selling the Spahn immediately and running away to Argentina with the ill-gotten loot, I've decided instead to continue to hold onto the card for the time being and keep my options open... including the Argentina thing. >>

I know I'm late to respond, considering it's almost a two month old post, but...

: standing-freaking-ovation :

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

• << <i>

I know I'm late to respond, considering it's almost a two month old post, but...

: standing-freaking-ovation :

image >>

Personally I have always found Brazil a little more friendlier. Argentina has too many "culture" laws for anyone with an interest in minerals, fossils and rocks. Might I however suggest Mexico. They have those books on how to live on a $1 a day there.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Any updates? This used to be one of my favorite threads.
    I agree this was one hell pf a thread.

Steve
    Good for you.
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies

• << <i>image >>

You got me really excited and inspired for a minute, and now I am once again disappointed.
  • dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Hello all. First time reading this thread and it looks pretty cool. Don't feel up to reading 60 pages of posts -- would someone be able to post a quick summary of the trades to get to the 51 bowman Spahn psa 8?? Thanks!
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dzolot

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed!!

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!
  • This is not really the same thing, but I am going to start a new venture in the mold of "turning something small into something big". I am going to buy something on eBay with $50, and keep flipping until I can buy a T206 Honus Wagner. Thread coming soon.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>This is not really the same thing, but I am going to start a new venture in the mold of "turning something small into something big". I am going to buy something on eBay with $50, and keep flipping until I can buy a T206 Honus Wagner. Thread coming soon. >>

And I'll be trading in my old Subaru Brat for a pristine '66 Mustang

• << <i>

<< <i>This is not really the same thing, but I am going to start a new venture in the mold of "turning something small into something big". I am going to buy something on eBay with $50, and keep flipping until I can buy a T206 Honus Wagner. Thread coming soon. >>

And I'll be trading in my old Subaru Brat for a pristine '66 Mustang >>

I was being serious. I make a significant amount of profit on nearly everything I buy, so I figure this might be a fun test.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    check out this link...

Should get ya caught up...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...

• << <i>

<< <i>

I was being serious. I make a significant amount of profit on nearly everything I buy, so I figure this might be a fun test. >>

Would you only use Ebay for all of your trade ups? Just curious because I do believe it can be done.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I was being serious. I make a significant amount of profit on nearly everything I buy, so I figure this might be a fun test. >>

Would you only use Ebay for all of your trade ups? Just curious because I do believe it can be done. >>

Yep, only eBay. I am going to start by buying a card that is $50 or less. I will buy any amount of cards at a time, but I will only sell it as the same amount of cards. I will document each buy and sale on here and a couple other boards I frequent. It is just for fun to see how far I can get on $50.
  • dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭

<< <i>check out this link...

Should get ya caught up... >>

swartz1 -- thanks for the link. That's a perfect recap of the journey. Also very detailed and informative about the cards that were traded - really makes for an interesting story. Thanks for your quick response!!
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dzolot

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed!!

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    Not to be insulting, but this thread is my choice for most disappointing of 2009.

Great concept Elemenopeo, but for whatever reasons, you weren't destined to pull it off.

Perhaps 'sportscardstheory' or someone else can have more success. I wish you luck if you pursue it. Please PM me if you do.

In my opinion, focusing on highly popular players with wide appeal is bound to get much better results.

All the best to everyone in the new year!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    What sportscardtheory is talking about is repeated flipping for profit - not that hard if you find items that are going a lot cheaper than they should. Bad listing jobs by sellers help a lot (example: I just bought a 4-card lot for $10 where the seller didn't list the players in the title, even though one is a PSA 7 HOF rookie from the '60s). Bob Brill did something much like what sct is talking about several years ago, and blogged it for Beckett.

Nick

Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What sportscardtheory is talking about is repeated flipping for profit - not that hard if you find items that are going a lot cheaper than they should. Bad listing jobs by sellers help a lot (example: I just bought a 4-card lot for $10 where the seller didn't list the players in the title, even though one is a PSA 7 HOF rookie from the '60s). Bob Brill did something much like what sct is talking about several years ago, and blogged it for Beckett.

Nick >>

I'll be doing it soon. I just haven't chosen which card I am going to start with. I will be starting with something $50 or under and working my way up from there.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    List one of those rare Griffeys you have....and make sure you take your shirt off while showing everyone the card
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>List one of those rare Griffeys you have....and make sure you take your shirt off while showing everyone the card >>

I'm not sure if you really believe that was me or if you are just kidding. I bought most of my rare Griffey's months ago, so I no longer have access to what I paid. I do know I bought a 1994 Finest Superstar Sampler for like $8. I know I could get a lot more than that for it.
    You do realize that every time a Wagner sells it sells for more than the last time?

How much is the least expensive one at the present? 600k IIRC

Good luck.

Steve

Good for you.
  • If you could even buy it!

Go Phillies
  • I have been following this for a while, and really thought The Landis autograph would have went for more and been traded a lot quicker than what it took. Good luck on your quest. image

• << <i>I have been following this for a while, and really thought The Landis autograph would have went for more and been traded a lot quicker than what it took. Good luck on your quest. image >>

Check a few pages back, he decided to end the quest.

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    Still alive.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

• << <i>Just want to say that I'm the jackass in this whole thing. As I explained in the PM I just sent larryallen73, I usually give myself some cooling off time when I get honked off like that before shooting off the angry email or whatever. I didn't this time, and most certainly should have. Whatever the implication of the whole "lawyer" thing and wanting me to send my card first, it boils down to him wanting to make sure the deal went smoothly... and, of course, that's understandable, and I should have just let all the other stuff go.

Mostly, I feel like a friggin' idiot for injecting drama into this whole deal. I'd like to think that's not my style, and I just wasn't myself the other night.

I do think it may be best to end the project here, though, and absolutely not because of this deal going south, but mostly due to personal issues and I suppose some frustration with the lack of progress of late. And this is not me fishing for supportive comments, I just need to think about it a while or at least take a break from concerning myself with it.

I have to laugh though at how just ridiculous all this is... that I or anyone else puts any emotional energy at all into these little bits of cardboard. >>

So you can remember your own post Elmeneopeo.....

So you can remember Elemenopeo's subsequent note on August 31, DrJ.....
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Elemenopeo,

Since you were the originator of the pursuit to the Mantle, I was going to respectfully ask if you mind if I begin a similar type venture that sportscardtheory is doing, but my goal will be more modest, a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. It won't necessarily be by trading to it, but a series of buy/sell transactions more than likely, much like sportscardtheory is doing. Since you were the originator, if you don't want to see it attempted, I won't document it here. I realize the board may get their fill of these types of threads, but it would give me something fun to do and something to share here, and might serve as some motivation for people to go for their goals. Let me know and if you don't mind, I'll document it in a separate thread on this board.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs

<< <i>Elemenopeo,

Since you were the originator of the pursuit to the Mantle, I was going to respectfully ask if you mind if I begin a similar type venture that sportscardtheory is doing, but my goal will be more modest, a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. It won't necessarily be by trading to it, but a series of buy/sell transactions more than likely, much like sportscardtheory is doing. Since you were the originator, if you don't want to see it attempted, I won't document it here. I realize the board may get their fill of these types of threads, but it would give me something fun to do and something to share here, and might serve as some motivation for people to go for their goals. Let me know and if you don't mind, I'll document it in a separate thread on this board.

Mike >>

I feel silly even responding. Obviously, my blessing or whatever is completely unnecessary. I encourage you to do whatever you think would be fun or interesting... It's the whole point of all this. Best of luck.
    God father Byron I too need your blessing. My daughter she was a ......

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>

So you can remember Elemenopeo's subsequent note on August 31, DrJ..... >>

How does holding onto a card constitute going forward with a plan? It is a nice card anyone would like to "hold" and keep in their collection. Obviously there has been a ton of movement on the project since August 31st. Thanks for the update though Gumby, keep them coming and inspire us all!!!!
  • To the top for any new and exciting potential trades.

This quest can
    not stop!!!!!

<< <i>To the top for any new and exciting potential trades.

This quest can
    not stop!!!!! >>

Just further evidence of DrJ's douchebaggery.

• << <i>

<< <i>To the top for any new and exciting potential trades.

This quest can
    not stop!!!!! >>

Just further evidence of DrJ's douchebaggery. >>

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    What's with the $100 bill? I am confused.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's with the $100 bill? I am confused. >>

Link

There was another but has since gone *poof* due to a Shatner hijack.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>image >>

Again, I remember my first $100 bill. I just didn't feel the need to scan it and post it all over the internet.

How many months of paper delivery did that take?
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    I am still confused. I don't have time to read that whole thread. Does the $100 bill come up in that long thread somewhere?