Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• << <i> Suffice it so say the other guy, a longtime board member no less, said I should send my card before he sent his card because he's a lawyer and is therefore unlikely (more unlikely than me, I assume... I mean, who else is involved?) to run off with the card.
    >>

Yeah, lawyer's are all top shelf honest guys image
  • Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭

<< <i>Posting your true feelings at 2:17 AM is like calling your EX from a club at 3 in the morning and telling her you want to get back together. No good can come from it. I'm hoping that Bryon's post was slightly alcohol induced, and will be rethought with a clearer head and a cup of coffee this morning.

Shame on the board member/lawyer who questioned Bryon's integrity. You should wish to have half as much as he does. >>

Couldn't have said it better myself Nick. Even though I never jumped in (not that I can remember), I still really enjoyed this thread. Just because a few negative people have to pipe in and express nothing good does not mean there are not
    those of us who didn't like watching your progress, quietly. I'll be bummed if you don't continue on, but respect your decision if you decide not to. Shame on those who have to try and ruin a good thing with their negative comments.

And whom ever this member/lawyer is should get off their high horse and come down with the rest of us mortals. Just because your a lawyer does not make you any better or more honest than the rest of us. And if you have followed this thread at all, you would know Bryon is an honest guy. But I can't say that I blame him for not wanting to deal with someone who questions his integrity.

Bryon, I hope you reconsider, this thread is fun to watch. And I hope those who have nothing nice or constructive to say can keep their yaps shut so the rest of us can enjoy.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I think you did well and trades were fun to follow, but I can also see a down side of doing that sort of thing. Good luck with the auction.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I agree with the guys above me. I think it is a great thread and who cares how long it takes? I was actually hoping that one of these days we could do a trade just so I could be a prt of it.

Heres hoping you reconsider image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yep thanks for a great thread. Hope you re consider.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    If there's absolutely no reason for you not to trust him then why not do the trade? If he relies on this board for collecting, dealing, and cards, then he has as much to lose as you reputation wise if he doesn't hold up to his end of the deal. He would also lose more money wise because he probably has $300-$400 real cash money in the card he's trading. I would say hard earned money but it's a lawyer and he probably billed a client that much while typing up his trade offer to you. All you will lose is a worthless Knicley card, shipping costs, time, and a happy ending to your story. You will have a villain for the ending of your story and his reputation on the boards will be toast if he doesn't honor his part of the deal. If it's a well known and trusted member of the boards I would just send it. In the future you may consider setting up an intermediary who you both trust 100% to handle the exchange.
    KB makes a good point but to be honest with you if someone said that to me I'd tell them to forget it too.

Every time I've ever traded I sent the item out the day after the trade was made, just like my trading partner.

No one has ever said you send first.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Bryon,

I second pretty much everything said except by KB - I woulda told the guy to pound sand, too. image KB is way too sensible - lol.

Well done, and while I did participate on the trade level, it was more fun following your overall progress (or, at times, lack thereof). Still a neat project and I hope that it does not get shelved. I, too, have a bad habit of posting "late" in the evening - it's pretty funny when I go back and read some of them.

John
    Wondo

• Don't give up !!!
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    I write today as the guilty lawyer in this situation. I am sorry I didn't have time this morning to reply to the thread but had my son's swim meet and walked out the door about 5:45. Three personal bests! I tried to get here on my Iphone but that was too small and I really didn't want to write a reply on my Iphone. I thought we worked out a fair trade yesterday. I have not traded cards since I was about 7 or 8 years old so not sure of modern protocol and I did mention this to Elemenopeo that I hadn't traded in a long time. 35 years ago we traded face to face. I am a dis-trusting person. What I said about being a lawyer was obviously not expressed very well by me. I am by no means impressed with myself and do not think being a lawyer is any better than anything else. I was greeted this morning by two PM's from Elemenopeo suggesting he was shocked by what I said and the deal was off. I didn't have time to reply on here but I sent him a quick reply. I do not remember what I said but I think I indicated I was sorry for the misunderstanding because I had enjoyed his quest for the Mantle and had been waiting until I had a card to trade him. I was glad I had one that I felt was a fair trade and might achieve more interest by modern collectors for a further trade. To explain my lawyer logic. This week I rented someone's Hawaii timeshare for $3,000. She suggested I wire the money to her. I did not choose to rent her timeshare. Instead I found someone, for the same price, who I could do some background checks on and was able to send to their address that I could confirm was them. No, it's not 100% safe but it feels better than wiring $3,000 to a person with just a Yahoo account. Likewise when I have done transactions involving trust I have indicated as a licensed professional you can go to the state bar web site and look me up. I am a named partner at a law firm that has been around for 30 years and I take my mail at the office. I thus am not likely to walk off with a $400 baseball card. Thus when I suggested Elemenopeo could send to my office it was because it was a "safe" place to send. Frankly I don't "know" Elemenopeo, he hasn't done a trade for the Mantle in months, he acknowledged to me he hasn't been on these boards for weeks, and thus I did not want to be the last guy... the one who he ran off with his card. I am sorry if I am too careful. That's how I roll and it works for me. I did not explain my ill conceived logic to him but that's why I suggested I am a lawyer and he could send to my office first. If he had replied to me, and not the board, maybe he could have said, "hey, I happen to be a state senator (or a whatever) and you can check me out on-line and send to that address..." that would have been fine. Instead, all I got were PM's saying the deal was off. I am extremely sorry I did not communicate my thoughts better and I definitely am sorry you are walking away from the project because I have really enjoyed watching your progress. A friend emailed me your post so was able to read it and I skipped whatever has been said since as I am sure it's either bashing me or making lawyer jokes. The boards tend to take a side pretty quickly... I know I do at times. Anyway, sorry for the poor communication and I hope you reconsider moving forward with your project. Peace.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I hope this comes out well, both Elemenpeo and LarryAllen seem like long time solid board members. I'd trust either of them without a question. Bryon, if you do stop this project it was fun watching!

"Molon Labe"

I am not taking sides but I don't see the logic in the "I am a lawyer" What if he said I am a janitor so you can mail it to the school I sweep up at. They have a website and I have my photo up on that site. Common sense says the deal is too public to fall through. I will say it takes stones to come out and say you are that guy. Kudos on that. I hope the deal can still get done and Byron can continue to move towards his goal.
    Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    I know that people can surprise and/or disappoint you at times. However, if la is greeted with hesitation then what would be when the card value is much higher?

Byron I really think you hold the upper hand in all of this. If someone screwed you over on this project they would never hear the end of it.

At the end of the day I hope la isn't labeled as the guy that ruined the pursuit of the Mantle. That would be a shame.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Long time reader...
    No posts as of yet...

Situation seems to have points on both sides, but I would hate to see this thread end on this note. What is the value of the current trade card? Maybe I can enter it and keep it going?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
    larry

2 things, please write and break down into paragraphs, and Byron is as good as it gets around here.

As you are too. I think it was more of you being too careful and the written word at times gets read

the wrong way.

I would vouch for you even though you are a lawyer.

Hopefully Byron will read this and continue his quest. Remember though when trading both parties send at the same time.

A person's word is everything.

Steve

Good for you.
    At the end of the day I hope la isn't labeled as the guy that ruined the pursuit of the Mantle. That would be a shame.

Larry is as good as it gets around here as well.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Bummer. I read into this that it's the issue of working out the arrangements that is the problem. The lack of trust takes the fun out of the trades. Is that right?

I used to buy / sell equipment and used escrow arrangements for large deals. There was an earlier post noting using a 3rd party to secure the trade. I think this is wise. It works for everyone. LA73 - Is there another board member you've sold to or bought from in the past year who could act as a trusted escrow agent for you?

BTW - My wife and I recently met and chatted with Warren Spahn's grandneice while traveling. Nice lady. That's really a great card you're getting.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Send it to Carol and let her send it out to each of you!!!!image

succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I can understand the miss-communication here and I hope things can be cleared up. In any event this had been an enjoyable thread and I congratulate you Byron on your success.

Bob....
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    This is one thread that keeps me coming back to the boards. I hope the trade goes through, I've found this to be very entertaining.

I've had deals with board members here and never had a problem.

Great thread however it goes.
  • 123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭
    I too would hate to see this end like this, but to be honest, I can't stand the morons that get on here and say "what's taking so long" "just give him one".

As for trading/selling on this board, I've had nothing but good transactions. But it's not for the paranoid, that's for sure. I would feel 100 times more confident trading with Byron because of this thread, than I would anyone else.

My 11 year old son is always asking me on how this is going, so I hope I can tell him your still trying Byron.

Chad
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Don't quit. I will no longer have my source of inspiration. Inspire us!!!!
  • I hope you continue your journey for the Mantle. It appears you have been at it for a long time. Maybe this board "drama" will cause someone else to come up with a card to trade with you.
  • purduepetepurduepete Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    Bryon,

Like everyone else has said, I really have enjoyed following this journey as well. I hope that you don't give up on this project just yet.

If I remember correctly, didn't you recently move to the Cincinnati area? I don't know if you were planning on going to the National this year, but I'd think about making a day trip up to Cleveland to see if you might be able to make a trade with any one of the dealers that will be there. If that doesn't pan out, then I would call it quits.

My 2 cents...

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
    Cinti??? Where at? I live northwest of town in little ol' Ross Township.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    The premature demise of this thread/saga would not be a positive outcome.

The parties to the contemplated transaction should resolve their very minor
    misunderstanding, and move the project forward.

The concurrent mailing of traded items is quite standard practice, among many
    folks.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I understand larryallen73 concern.. it is hard to have faith in people.. but
    in this case.. I think you can rest easy.. send with DC and ins.
    keep it going.. I am curious to see whats up for trade..
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Just want to say that I'm the jackass in this whole thing. As I explained in the PM I just sent larryallen73, I usually give myself some cooling off time when I get honked off like that before shooting off the angry email or whatever. I didn't this time, and most certainly should have. Whatever the implication of the whole "lawyer" thing and wanting me to send my card first, it boils down to him wanting to make sure the deal went smoothly... and, of course, that's understandable, and I should have just let all the other stuff go.

Mostly, I feel like a friggin' idiot for injecting drama into this whole deal. I'd like to think that's not my style, and I just wasn't myself the other night.

I do think it may be best to end the project here, though, and absolutely not because of this deal going south, but mostly due to personal issues and I suppose some frustration with the lack of progress of late. And this is not me fishing for supportive comments, I just need to think about it a while or at least take a break from concerning myself with it.

I have to laugh though at how just ridiculous all this is... that I or anyone else puts any emotional energy at all into these little bits of cardboard.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to laugh though at how just ridiculous all this is... that I or anyone else puts any emotional energy at all into these little bits of cardboard. >>

Post of the year - to date.

mike
    Mike
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    PM sent.

No apology necessary by you.

Again, my apologies for not expressing myself better in my PM on Friday. Hopefully I do better today.

Peace.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have to laugh though at how just ridiculous all this is... that I or anyone else puts any emotional energy at all into these little bits of cardboard. >>

Post of the year - to date.

mike >>

I have thought that many times myself. Same thing for someone writing their name!
  • I don't post much here, but just another voice echoing all of the positive feedback. From the start I felt this was an immensely creative, fun project, and one of the most enjoyable threads on these boards. Best of luck no matter what you decide to do.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    El, looking back at this thread I'm thinking it might have been bound to run out of steam at some point. Up to a certain dollar amount sheer good will would keep it moving, but perhaps you found the point where the cards to be traded just have too much value in dollars or even in personal attachment for it to keep going. Nice run though, and very entertaining!

Also very classy finale from both LarryAllen and LMNPO.

"Molon Labe"

• bhl2359bhl2359 Posts: 420
    BTTT

Go Phillies
  • yanyak5yanyak5 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭
    What? thats how this ends? Nooooo! you better finish!!! I havent been on theboards in years and just started collecting again. I just sat here for the last hour reading this entire post and I must say you must finish this! Oh what a great story this is. Change your rules...do what ever you have to do to finish. Trade for several cards like someone in the first few posts suggested. Just dont give up! Remember the hubble you couldnt get rid of? You finally did for the griffey!!! Maybe you have to take a step down and get a better card...all i know is i want to find out what happens!

I hope you reconsider....You have my support....

Thad
    Looking for an 8x10 auto photo of junior celebrating his 100 HR. lmk!
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    A page back somebody suggested going to the National Convention. This would eliminate having to trust each other through the mail. You hand a card to a collector or dealer, and they hand you a different card. It may take a few days and dozens of trades but you could walk out of there with a Mantle.
    You could get hit by a car too.

I don't think trust is still an issue.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I guess the project is officially dead. If so, I'm bummed. But it was good while it lasted.

/s/ JackWESQ

Go Phillies
  • baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭
    bump
  • imageimage

Go Phillies

• << <i>I guess the project is officially dead. If so, I'm bummed. But it was good while it lasted.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

Well it lasted for a little while and then went on a long hiatus. I hope he puts the Spahn up for auction soon according to the original plan.

J
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I'm not relating this to this thread but I had a guy try to trade me a bunch of fake autographs and kept pushing that I could trust him because he was a doctor... I should have asked him if he was a card doctor.
  • If this is DONE, there is a charity missing some money.

But PLEASE dont quit yet.
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys...let's lighten up here. "If this is DONE, there is a charity missing some money." sounds a lot to me like someone is accusing Bryon of less than honest dealings here. It was probably comments like that which made this process no fun for him once the trades slowed down.

Here's an excerpt from the original post:

<< <i>And just so this won't be a completely self-serving venture, my plan for the Mantle, if and when I acquire it, is this: to hold on to it long enough to enjoy it for a while and show it off to family and friends (a few months, I imagine); then, auction it off and split the net proceeds with half going to charity and the other half going into my 2-year-old daughter's college savings plan. >>

It's nobody's place to tell Bryon what to do - ESPECIALLY those who didn't participate in the project. If Bryon wants to take a break from the project and hang onto the Spahn for a while, so be it! Who are any of us to tell him what to do?
    If this is DONE, there is a charity missing some money.

Hey Skilow do you know something the rest of us do not?

Or are you just blowing wind?

Steve
    Good for you.

Go Phillies
  • I do not have any inside info, and would love to see this continue. But if it is over, I would like to see the conclusion according to the original rules.
  • Here is an idea, anyone willing to step up and continue this project?