Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭
    Hah. A serendipitous bump.

May as well add for your viewing pleasure...

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    NICE!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

• Made a deal for the Berk Ross Mantle. Will post the new card on arrival. Hope we meet again, Mickey!
  • hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    I get to join the happy dance!!! image
    Hook'em
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

• WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Bryon,

Great to see you get this going again!image
    Wondo

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    sweet!

can't wait to see what you ended up with, Bryon!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What TNP777 said.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • purduepetepurduepete Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

Can't wait to see the latest acquisition Bryon!
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • what are you drinking let me have some
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep it going, man!

Shane

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>what are you drinking let me have some >>

Yeah, there's no way he'll trade that 1986 Topps common crap for anything of value. Oh, wait... image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    Tease!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Testing 1, 2. Testing 1, 2. Is this thing on?
  • test

• << <i>Testing 1, 2. Testing 1, 2. Is this thing on? >>

Funny you should ask. The new guy just got here... Babe Ruth. Woohoo!

imageimage

Many thanks to board member hookem for the trade.

This is a strip card issued about 1920 and catalogued as W514. This one, obviously, graded as Authentic by BVG. Pretty tough to narrow down a value range on this.

VCP doesn't have any data on BVG Authentic, but does for PSA and SGC. And, of course, eye appeal is going to have a lot to do with these...

PSA...

8/15/10 eBay $600.00
    4/13/10 eBay $462.00
    11/29/09 eBay $299.00
    12/5/08 eBay $492.87
    2/10/08 eBay $1,032.77
    7/20/07 eBay $345.01

SGC...

9/27/09 eBay $330.00
    7/18/09 eBay $600.00
    7/1/07 eBay $308.00

So, I think this is one I'm just going to have to put out there, trust in The Babe, and see what happens.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with star power and WOW, that's some star power. I bet you get interest pretty fast! Congrats!
  • hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Glad you like it!

It was hard to part with the Ruth but I am happy to add a 52 Mantle to my collection image
    Hook'em
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    Way to ramp this up. Nice strides!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Love the Ruth...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Nice Ruth!
    What's really cool about this, is all the different cards/items Bryon was able to have in his hands.

Good for you.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    What card do you have right now???

Is there a list or can you make a list of all the cards youve handled in this project??? image

I only read the last couple pages and am confused on what card you have right now (April 2011)????

First I thought it was that nice W514 Ruth, but then I also read a post that makes it look like you have the beater of a '52 BR Mantle posted back in Aug??.... if so you went backwards a bit IMO.

Berk Ross cards were issued as a boxed set (ie TCMA, and many 1980-90 Era modern cards), they have and always will suffer value wise because of this fact when compared to a true baseball card issued FREE with a product or service of some kind.... then again the W514 is also in this same boat.... as it was the product too.

Id value the Ruth at 1.5 times the value of the Mantle.... Yet Ruth was 50X the player Mantle was image

Frank

He traded the Berk Ross Mantle for the Ruth.

At one time he did have a site that showed each trade.

I think he started with a beater 1986 card.

Good for you.

<< <i>At one time he did have a site that showed each trade. >>

The site is still running and up to date on his progress.

I will trade you this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>At one time he did have a site that showed each trade. >>

The site is still running and up to date on his progress.
    I will trade you this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle >>

It would have been nice if he described how he went from the Mantle to the Ruth. Looks like it was the first time he didn't talk about a trade.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

I did, in fact, trade the Mantle for the Ruth with fellow board member hookem. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The Ruth is still available for trade. Slow moving project, I know, but most if not all of my projects tend to move at about the same pace.

• brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Wish I had something of value in the range of the Ruth to help along the project. I always enjoy when this thread has been bumped and look forward to the next item.
    I too have enjoyed this thread and your project. I have put some thought into your project as well.

I think the major reason why it is going so slow. Your dealing within a hobby where the majority wants to make out better or at least think they are making out better on a trade. This will especially be true when it comes down to the last final trade. It might be very difficult to find someone willing to part with their 52 Topps Mantle rookie for something else. Not unless your trade offer is so overly one sided in their favor so they can't help but to give the card up.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey with this project. If you continue to persist I believe you will become victorious with this.

<< <i>Slow moving project, I know, but most if not all of my projects tend to move at about the same pace. >>

long term enjoyment > instant gratification

• What is the value of the current card, or what would you want to get in I guess a traded. VCP value maybe?

Sorry but I don't know the current value of the Ruth/VCP.

Thanks and it might help others who may have something worth trading.

Keep Rocking!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"

<< <i>What is the value of the current card, or what would you want to get in I guess a traded. VCP value maybe? >>

Below is what I originally posted in September when I first picked up the Ruth... I've since let my VCP membership lapse. If anyone with VCP access could check for any other "Authentic" sales since, I'd certainly appreciate it.

VCP doesn't have any data on BVG Authentic, but does for PSA and SGC. And, of course, eye appeal is going to have a lot to do with these...

PSA...

8/15/10 eBay $600.00
    4/13/10 eBay $462.00
    11/29/09 eBay $299.00
    12/5/08 eBay $492.87
    2/10/08 eBay $1,032.77
    7/20/07 eBay $345.01

SGC...

9/27/09 eBay $330.00
    7/18/09 eBay $600.00
    7/1/07 eBay $308.00

I'm not an expert on this issue by any means, but the one I have seems a fairly clean example for the grade. I don't know why it has the "Authentic" grade instead of a numeric. It's certainly not "trimmed," as it were, since it's a strip card and so is hand-cut by definition. So, discounting the $1032 sale, my best guess on the value is in the mid-range of the other sales.

Another look...

imageimage
  • Bump - Would love to see this continue. Any ideas on if this is just stuck or still going on?
  • This is the most epic thread I have ever seen. I am going to attempt to do something similar myself.

Thanks for the inspiration

Craig
    Since that Ruth card is already sitting in an "Authentic" holder, do you think it would be a good idea to crack it and re-cut the card for a better appearance? As you said, it is a strip card that had to be cut away from other cards already.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Great thread
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>This is the most epic thread I have ever seen. I am going to attempt to do something similar myself.

Craig >>

Please don't-- or at least not here. The first time someone does something like this it feels quirky, innovative and fun. The second time someone tries it it feels like a cash grab.
  • ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is the most epic thread I have ever seen. I am going to attempt to do something similar myself.

Craig >>

Please don't-- or at least not here. The first time someone does something like this it feels quirky, innovative and fun. The second time someone tries it it feels like a cash grab. >>

Agree...in order to reach your goal, each transaction involves a "trade up", essentially getting more value than you're giving up. Unless you're starting with something very close in value to your stated goal, you're asking a lot of potential traders to give up a lot of value.
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭

Craig >>

Word of advice; keep the lawyers away

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

• << <i>

Craig >>

Please don't-- or at least not here. The first time someone does something like this it feels quirky, innovative and fun. The second time someone tries it it feels like a cash grab. >>

I agree. Another "I will trade you this for a ________" thread wouldn't seem right.

• It's well past time to pull the plug on this. Though I didn't come close to the '52 Topps Mantle, it was a fun ride. And a Babe Ruth card from his playing days ain't such a bad ending, either.

I'm auctioning off the Ruth on eBay (LINK). Just as I would have with the Mantle had I gotten that far, I'm going to put half the proceeds in my daughter's college fund and give the other half to a charity -- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Many thanks to all who took part or offered encouragement.

From Alan Knicely to Babe Ruth...

• Wow!

Good luck on your auction. I wish you would have completed the goal but stopping at Ruth isn't a bad thing as you said image
  • I bid it up to $150. I have no clue what it's worth, but know it's more than that. This was a great story and it still will lead to a great ending as a lot of us are sad to see it end.

Can I make a suggestion. You should add in the description about half the money being donated. Maybe it will bring a little more money.

Take care,

Mike
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"

<< <i>You should add in the description about half the money being donated. Maybe it will bring a little more money.Take care,Mike >>

+1 image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭
    where else can one find Alan Knicely & Babe Ruth in the same sentence?

Good luck with the card

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    Great Job Bryon.

Good for you.
  • WOW the Ruth is doing pretty well in the early going...
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    nice finish, ruth isn't too bad

good luck with the sale, it was fun to watch
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watching you get to the Ruth was very enjoyable...

Good luck with the sale...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)