Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options

<< <i>What's the significance of 12,786? >>

2007-W mintage was 12,786 coins, the lowest mintage for 1/4 oz. gold eagles so far. 2008-W could be the new keys if they come in under that Mintage!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2007-W mintage was 12,786 coins, the lowest mintage for 1/4 oz. gold eagles so far. 2008-W could be the new keys if they come in under that Mintage!

Hmmmmmmmmm, the number I've got for 2007-W 1/4 ozers is 14,615. Anybody else got confirmation on 2007-W data?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    3622 is the magic number since the last report that they have to sell less of to keep the gold 1/4 unc as the new key excluding the error coin. We won't know until next weeks report what the number is.

The week prior was about 2000 sold and if you add in an extra couple of days assuming the same sales rate they may have sold 2500 so the 1/4 should come in under the 2007 by about 1200 coins. Once they reconcile the report it may it drop another 500 so my guess is the 2008 unc w 1/4 is the new potential key.

The question is the error coin and what that does to things. Nobody knows how many 1999 error coins were made but that may draw money out of the 2008 w unc.

Also the mint may be continuing the 1/4 bullion gold coins so the 2008 unc could still be part of a continuing series which isn't good.

However the overall number may be low enough that it does well in later years. If this coin doesn't do well then the entire series will be a bust excluding the error.

• Options
    I spoke with Fred Weinberg some time back, and he shared some information with me regarding the
    1999 $5.00 and $10.00 error coins that is not commonly known.

Fred told me that in the months leading up to the "Y2K" fears, many of the $5.00 and $10.00 error coins
    were sent to Japan before the error was caught, where they were used in jewelry or melted.

Hence, if we start with only one die pair being used for both denominations, and then subtract out most
    of the coins being scrapped in Japan, we are left with a great rarity.

I think that this is being nicely illustrated via the population reports for the various grading services.

Comments ....
  • Options
    According to the numbers I have there were 2,750,338 1/10 and 564,232 1/4 made in 1999 gold unc. That is an incredible amount of coins.

I would think that less than half of all of those coins have been searched, but that is only a guess. The w mintmark on these coins is extremely small and it is hidden somewhat in the rays of the coin. There may be more than some are guessing, but I have no way of knowing.
  • Options
    3622 is the magic number

Based on what number for 2007-Ws?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>3622 is the magic number

Based on what number for 2007-Ws? >>

That was the last NN numbers minus 12,786

or 12,786 - 9164 = 3622

• Options
    Weekly order report as of 2/16/2009

2008W Unc Gold EAGLES
    4 set

888 SET = 7751

Welcome to a new group of gold kings! Hope you bought some quarters and tenths!
  • Options
    Which would stand the best chance of appreciation, the quarters or the tenths?

Will the raw coins in the mint boxes appreciate, or just the graded 70s?

(I know nobody's got that crystal ball I misplaced . . . all I'm asking for is educated guesses.)
  • Options

<< <i>Which would stand the best chance of appreciation, the quarters or the tenths?

(I know nobody's got that crystal ball I misplaced . . . all I'm asking for is educated guesses.) >>

Clawdia,

I am seeing that the graded coins are selling better than the raw ones in general with regard to all 2008 Gold, at least in my experience.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Which would stand the best chance of appreciation, the quarters or the tenths?

(I know nobody's got that crystal ball I misplaced . . . all I'm asking for is educated guesses.) >>

Just a speculating opinion Clawdia, but I'd say the quarter & although graded 70s reign supreme, raw will be just fine!
  • Options
    The 2/18 sales figure for the AGE unc quarter seems suspect. It only went up 36 this time after it had gone up 2000 from the previous sales report. I don't think the price increase would have squashed sales that much.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I know I cancelled 25 when I saw the report last week.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. I already have one raw 1/4, one MS70, and am thinking about adding at least one more.

I got lucky and picked up a raw 1/10th 2008 W on ebay late one night for about $95 with the original packaging.
  • Options
    Halfstrike, I disagree with your 2007-W 1/4 oz. AGE data. My data shows 12,130 on 2/27/08 and that increased to 14,615 by 4/23/08.

Which issue of NN showed 12,786, and are you sure that was a final number?

Since it looks like the 2008-W 1/4 oz. AGE is going to be lower, it's a moot point, but I like to be correct with my data. Thanks, jmski.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    12,786 was the '07-W 1/4 AGE final mintage number provided to me back in Dec. '08 via the OP.image
  • Options

<< <i>Weekly order report as of 2/16/2009

2008W Unc Gold EAGLES
    4 set

888 SET = 7751

Welcome to a new group of gold kings! Hope you bought some quarters and tenths! >>

i canceled UHR to order more of the quarters to add to the ones i already had. thanks again eric image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>The 2/18 sales figure for the AGE unc quarter seems suspect. It only went up 36 this time after it had gone up 2000 from the previous sales report. I don't think the price increase would have squashed sales that much. >>

That 2,000 jump in mintage was actually over a two week period. The mintage hadn't been updated the prior week for the quarter ounce.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options

<< <i>Halfstrike, I disagree with your 2007-W 1/4 oz. AGE data. My data shows 12,130 on 2/27/08 and that increased to 14,615 by 4/23/08.

>>

12,786 is the final number posted by ericj96 for 2007.

You are correct though the NN numbers were higher prior to the revision. I was talking about using NN numbers for 2008, not 2007.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone getting their 08-w 1/4 AGEs? I've had several on order since early January -- constant "on hold".

I've talked to mint reps a few times and they assure me all is well with my account.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>Is anyone getting their 08-w 1/4 AGEs? I've had several on order since early January -- constant "on hold".

I've talked to mint reps a few times and they assure me all is well with my account. >>

Same here, on order since late jan. image
  • Options

<< <i>Is anyone getting their 08-w 1/4 AGEs? I've had several on order since early January -- constant "on hold".

I've talked to mint reps a few times and they assure me all is well with my account. >>

I just got an email this evening with tracking info that mine were shipped today via UPS next day air.. We'll see.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jbw -- when were yours ordered?

Glad to hear something is moving -
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Same here, on order since late jan. image >>

I received three on Fri and one yesterday. I'd let you know when I ordered if only the "my order history" link worked!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>jbw -- when were yours ordered?

Glad to hear something is moving - >>

I placed the order on Feb. 3rd
  • Options
    12,786 is the final number posted by ericj96 for 2007.

You are correct though the NN numbers were higher prior to the revision. I was talking about using NN numbers for 2008, not 2007.

I still don't see Eric's comments stating 12,786 as the number. Note that I was referencing NN numbers from 2008, above.

I went back to Eric's Dec '08 comments. He said that the numbers fell drastically, but I cannot find his actual numbers. I know where my numbers came from - NN on the above issue dates. I follow this thread and others fairly closely, but nowhere do I see 12,786 listed. Please provide a reference for all of the 2007-W Unc mintages, if you have it. The only way that this thread is useful is if the information is correct. Thanks, jmski

On another note, there are NO auction listings for any 2007-W Unc AGEs right now. A few B-I-Ns, but no actual auctions. I find that somewhat intriguing in it's own right.

Hey Eric - do you have mintages on the 2007-W Uncs? I never saw your final numbers. Did you ever post them? Hey - Florida Bill, Coinboy, Goldbully, Neo - do you have any numbers on the 2007-W Unc AGEs? Thanks, jmski.

Is there any reason to think that this information, from Goldbully's post, pg. 185, 12-26-08, 4:20PM, is NOT correct??????

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Quarter Eagles "No Longer Available"
  • Options
    8-8-08 Double Prosperity Set is also history.
  • Options

UHR 47,999
    888 7751
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the Mint website link to "My Order History" will be back up???? UGH!
  • Options
    So here is the million dollar question, what are the established new keys that 2008 created?

Plat proofs
    1 ounce
    1/2 ounce
    1/4 ounce
    1/10 ounce

Buffalo proof
    1 ounce
    1/2 ounce
    1/4 ounce
    1/10 ounce

Buffalo unc w
    1 ounce
    1/2 ounce
    1/4 ounce
    1/10 ounce

Gold eagle proof
    1/10 ounce

Gold eagle unc w
    1 ounce
    1/4 ounce
    1/10 ounce

Spouse coins: All four new lows but could be breaking lower

Of the coins above that the series is being discontinued so no chance of them being broken as keys I see the following:

Plat proofs
    1/2 ounce
    1/4 ounce
    1/10 ounce

Buffalo proof
    1/2 ounce
    1/4 ounce
    1/10 ounce

Buffalo unc w
    1/2 ounce
    1/4 ounce
    1/10 ounce

Coins that may be continued but have a very very low to impossible chance to be broken.

Buffalo unc w
    1 ounce ** Assumes the mint makes the buffalo unc bullion for 2009

Gold eagle unc w
    1 ounce
    1/4 ounce
    1/10 ounce

Coins that have a low to equal chance to be broken in future years

Gold eagle proof
    1/10 ounce

Buffalo proof
    1 ounce

Plat proofs
    1 ounce

Coins that will be broken in all likelihood

Spouse coins

I think that summarized the 2008 coins if I have it correct. The 2008 plat unc as we know are not new keys but do deserve to be mentioned as being very low mintage so at worst are semi-keys. There is a tiny chance they revise numbers low enough to make them new keys but it is not likely.

If gold continues to go higher in price then mintages could continue to fall for the collector one ounce coins IMO. Platinum prices the same for the one ounce proof.

Since these coins are not on the mint schedule and the mint is not able to meet bullion demand they may come out late in the year with low mintages so this is why I am cautious on all one ounce coins being permanent keys.

PS All of the above assumes the mints hold to its word on the canceled coins for 2009 and later years. From the mint annual report it sounds like they will be introducing new coin designs probably in 2010...
  • Options
    Half,

You did a good job on that post.

Ericj96
  • Options
    Aren't the fractional AGE uncs being discontinued?
  • Options
    Aren't the fractional AGE uncs being discontinued?

Yes, but Half's summary is a keeper and will serve as a reasonable guide for the foreseeable future, until more changes occur.

With all the uncertainties surrounding the financial system, any gold is better than none, regardless of the year & denomination. I'm wondering just how low the more obscure Spouse mintages will go.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    2008-W $100.00 Platinum PCGS-70s now over $2,000.00 on e-bay ... lovin it image

2006-W $100.00 Platinum PCGS-70s now at $3,000.00 on e-bay ... lovin it image

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although no PM in these ... 2008 has also created 2 more key dates for other series

business strike Sacagawea $1 & Kennedy halves .... 2008 was a very good year for key dates ...

Almost forgot the W 2008 unc. ASE's have a shot at it to...( to early to tell, since the annual dollar set is still available )
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Raw/sealed 2008 w plat proof set went today for $4457. To think that I sent two back and cancelled one :-(
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Half -

All those issues making new lows and you still think the plat uncs are not on the list. Hmmm.

Something tells me mintage data might put them high on that list......

Look at those sealed 4 cn plat unc sets soar.........
  • Options

<< <i>Half -

All those issues making new lows and you still think the plat uncs are not on the list. Hmmm.
    >>

How can they be on the list when the mint stats show there are roughly a thousand more coins that the 2006 w unc?image And aftermarket sales are not an indicator of key status this soon, just ask any Martha Washington spouse coin.

However we should know probably at the end of this year what the final numbers are so if anyone hopes for them to go under 2006 then that is probably the time to expect it but I have no way of knowing. At this point my list is about the numbers that show absolute keys not possibly keys. Enough people here know about the 2008 w unc and what may or may not be low numbers.

As I posted earlier, the backorders on the 1/4 alone are not enough to break them to new lows, it is more about all four sizes and probably the 4 coin sets. Those sets would have to drop a lot for them to break to new lows. The 1/4 backorders are not much of an issue IMO. image
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone received any APE proof coins recently? My order placed on 12/8/08 is still backordered.
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone received any APE proof coins recently? My order placed on 12/8/08 is still backordered.
    image >>

I'm still waiting for my APE proof 4 coin set, also ordered on 12/8. It says it's still backordered, but I don't hold out too much hope of ever seeing it at this point.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2008-W $100.00 Platinum PCGS-70s now over $2,000.00 on e-bay ... lovin it image

It just sold for $2,524.00! Ren(W)

2006-W $100.00 Platinum PCGS-70s now at $3,000.00 on e-bay ... lovin it image >>

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone received any APE proof coins recently? My order placed on 12/8/08 is still backordered.
    image >>

Last week I got a 1/4oz proof. I didn't expect it. Can't tell you when I ordered it because of the Mint site snafus. I do recall that it was around your timeframe. Good luck.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

I'm still waiting for my APE proof 4 coin set, also ordered on 12/8. It says it's still backordered, but I don't hold out too much hope of ever seeing it at this point. >>

I just received word that my APE Set is on it's way from the MINT! Can't remember the backorder date though......Good Luck!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

I'm still waiting for my APE proof 4 coin set, also ordered on 12/8. It says it's still backordered, but I don't hold out too much hope of ever seeing it at this point. >>

I just received word that my APE Set is on it's way from the MINT! Can't remember the backorder date though......Good Luck!

Miles >>

Any chance you might want to return the set?image
  • Options
    Sure Coolest, what are you offering??

Miles
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Miles >>

Congrats! Is this an UNC or Proof set?
  • Options
    It is the Plat Proof Set!
    Looking forward to either leaving it sealed or taking a peek.....

Miles
  • Options

<< <i>It is the Plat Proof Set!
    Looking forward to either leaving it sealed or taking a peek.....

Miles >>

Wow Miles what a score!!!

This gives me a little more hope that the set which I still have on BO from 12/8 may actually arrive. I'd given up hope. I'd be very interested in knowing the date (12/8 I assume) and time that your order was placed if possible.

Thanks and congrats!

• Options
    Damn Rafus, IF I could get onto the Tracking Site I would be happy to share that info and as soon AS I can I will !!
    Can't remember but it was the day they went on backorder and I didn't give myself much of a chance.

So, good luck to you !

Miles

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file