Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    NYC

You're still waiting for the numbers too......

just like I am.

7/8

Yup. But I wasn't saying that revised numbers would come out in January, and I'm not predicting that revised numbers will drop 2008ws below 2006ws.
    Dan
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the 2009 W APE Proof "TO FORM A MORE PERFECT UNION" coin...a 6-year Constitution series(?)

Yes, the thought of it makes little chills run up and down my leg!!!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I propose that the next coin in the series -- the Fairness Doctrine coin.

Because nothing says "fairness" like government regulation of political speech.
    Dan
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    NYC

I only state what has been promised already by the USM...............January.

And in my opinion your new kings will be the 08-w plat uncs. I dont guess. That's not my style. I collect evidence.

You and I both know there are several inquiries pending response.

7/8

• Options
    The 2008 w unc plats are on an absolute stampede!

All prices referenced are either raw or MS69.

Within the past couple of weeks, the dimes have moved from the $180 area to $225+.

The quarters are finally showing life, moving firmly into the $425 area.

The halves seem stuck around $850-$950. This is the big sleeper of the group, as the reported single mintage is only 1257 (plus sets), lower than any other denomination. Plus, on the margin, there may be a few collectors of only halves due to the anniversary set of last year.

The $100 are doing fine. I bought a PCGS MS70 on eBay less than a month ago for $1350. Now the raws and 69s are $1650+.

And the four coin sets are going berserk! From the $2900 level 2 weeks ago, we have now a level approaching $4K.

Maybe these coins were really short struck to the level suggested by 7over8. That's the only thing that could explain the recent market. If they were struck to the level of the reported sales, the supply would not be drying up as is now happening. The prices are rapidly increasing, but each new level of pricing DOES NOT bring a corresponding amount of supply.

FloridaBill
  • Options
    ... I am not surprised that the platinum uncs are beginning to come to life ... they are great coins! Just wait until the 2006 - 2008
    platinum series is properly presented a few years hence in the Red Book for all to see!
  • Options
    Sure sounds like the plat unc short set will be much sought after. Kinda glad I didn't unload my '06 unc plats.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Platinum seems to be off and running again ... almost $1100.00 an ounceimage >>

I'm not too optimistic. I don't think we'll see $1500 Pt until cars start selling better.
  • Options
    In very short order, heavy machinery will be subject to clean air regs.......regs to be enacted

so it wont only be cars that fuel the fire in platinum

• Options
    FLBill -

People are starting to take notice the supply is just not out there, and it does not match reported "sales".

I am patient to wait for the real numbers for coins STRUCK, not foolish order reports which never get reconciled properly / timely.

So you'll never find me posting scans of sales reports or pictures of swami's with crystal balls, that's only for the "sheeple" - you know the one's who follow the herd and only believe what they are told.........never looking at evidence that doesn't support the pages of reports they hold dearly as "scripture"......

7/8
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Platinum seems to be off and running again ... almost $1100.00 an ounceimage >>

I'm not too optimistic. I don't think we'll see $1500 Pt until cars start selling better. >>

Agree. Platinum just doesn't have the cachet of gold and it's hard to see what could drive it much higher than current prices. Still, where are the all the friggin' coins??? For someone wanting to build a collection, it's remarkably hard to find material.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

<< <i>Still, where are the all the friggin' coins??? For someone wanting to build a collection, it's remarkably hard to find material. >>

Coin speculators, low mintage, plat speculators, and Pt is 1/2 of what it was 10 months ago. Even so, I still don't believe that we've seen anything like what's to come. When the general population gets wind of the APE #s, I believe it'll be "off to the races." Plus, people are shy of stocks, looking to better diversify, and most don't even know that their is a platinum coin (yes, they and silver are somewhat similar looking to the average person, but NO ugly milkspots!)...
  • Options
    I have been a mainstream coin collector (and a VERY experienced one at that) since the 1960s.

However, I never gave modern coins a second thought until I accidently ran across the mintage figures
    on the 2006W - 2008W platinum "Foundations ..." short series. Once I saw the numbers, I promptly
    acquired 20 coins (2006-W "$100.00s" in the aftermarket and 2008-W "$100.00s" from the mint)!

I frankly don't care whether the 2008-W $100.00s have a mintage of 4100 (the current estimate) or 3100
    (as some speculate). Rather, each of the $100.00 coins in the three year series has a mintage under 5000!

And that is not even factoring that some were scrapped!

That is exceptional for an official United States commemorative silver-dollar sized coin set made of pure
    platinum, and with each coin in the set bearing a beautiful design that is part of a very popular theme.

A further thought regarding mintages. I think that any MODERN American coin with a mintage of under
    5000 is a future treasure, as I consider 5000 to be an important numismatic psychlogical threshold.

Below 5000 and you have a lasting rarity, and above 5000 it joins a MUCH larger universe of coins with
    mintages between 5,000 and 10,000. This larger universe includes the more common platinum proofs.

Again, in my humble opinion, these coins remain a steal at today's price levels!

• Options
    People are starting to take notice the supply is just not out there, and it does not match reported "sales".

I am patient to wait for the real numbers for coins STRUCK, not foolish order reports which never get reconciled properly / timely.

So you'll never find me posting scans of sales reports or pictures of swami's with crystal balls, that's only for the "sheeple" - you know the one's who follow the herd and only believe what they are told.........never looking at evidence that doesn't support the pages of reports they hold dearly as "scripture"......
    7/8

lol.
    Dan
  • Options
    that's all I would expect from one of the "sheeple"
  • Options
    So, should I dump all of my Uncs onto the market now? lol. NOT!!!!

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    aaah, the sheeple on here laugh, but continue to pull in tidy profits on those 4 cn unc-w plat sets......

IMO, it will only get better.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>However, I never gave modern coins a second thought until I accidently ran across the mintage figures on the 2006W - 2008W platinum "Foundations ..." short series. Once I saw the numbers, I promptly acquired 20 coins (2006-W "$100.00s" in the aftermarket and 2008-W "$100.00s" from the mint)!<<

Just curious, why the $100s instead of the somewhat lower mintage (and cheaper) $50s and $25s?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    In answer to the above, I prefer the $100.00s because they are the most impressive in terms of size and heft,
    as well as the best venue to properly display the design. The smaller denominations are too small to easily
    view (and fully appreciate) the design.

If you had a choice when it came to collecting classic United States gold coins, which would you rather have ...
    a $2.50 Panama-Pacific gold coin, or a $50.00 Panama Pacific gold coin?

I suspect the $50.00 coin, as it is much more impressive.

If there were a huge difference in mintage figures between the smaller denomination coins in the platinum
    series and the $100.00, then I would consider the smaller coins.

However, the mintages are relatively comparable (and indeed the $100s have lower mintages in some cases),
    so I would instinctively go with the largest and most impressive coin available. Namely, the $100.00s !

I suspect that when the world at large discovers these coins, then it will be the largest denomination (the $100.00)
    that most folks will be drawn to (who can afford them).

Especially if they want only one representative example of the series for display.
  • Options
    It appears smoke is rising from what Kingplatinum is posting. I beg to correct you Sir the $100 have never been the low mintage, or even close, since platinum appeared in 97. You are among the PRO`s here where we know our Platinum. Blow the smoke somewhere else.
    Charles Crews ** CU Members that I have had Buy/sell deals with alohagary,dabigkahuna,goldman86,fivecents,endzone,clackamas,ericj96,Bochiman,Wingsrule,adriana,claychaser,holeinone1972,itsnotjustme,MJcoin,Kishul,jsego,TWQG,carlwolfort,jmski52,steelielee,grote15
  • Options
    Amongst the Regular Issue Plats, the 1 ozers are indeed generally the lower-mintages of the series. Not so with the collector versions. True enough.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Unless my numbers are off, I am seeing 6 years where the $100 was the low mintage in the bullion unc series.
  • Options
    ...I'm sorry, Mr "Pro", but I beg to differ ...

When it comes to the "Foundation of Democracy" series, in all cases the $100.00 denomination does
    indeed have a lower mintage than all of the one-tenth ounce examples produced from 2006-2008.

I was not refering to pre-2006 $100.00 coins ... go back and re-read my post !! image

The only smoke around here is that which is coming out of "CrCrews" arrogant ass
    (sorry, I don't suffer fools lightly, and "CrCrews" set the tone here, not me) image

Of course, its nothing that a good colonoscopy can't fix for him ... "CrCrews" can read the mintage
    charts in the doctors office while waiting for his procedure!

• Options
    "People are starting to take notice the supply is just not out there, and it does not match reported "sales"."

What I am seeing is about three times as many 2008 w unc for sale on Ebay as 2006 w unc. So I am not sure where others see this 2008 supply drought relative to 2006.

it could be argued that there is an overall supply drought in platinum coins since the mint hasn't sold any bullion coins in January or so far in February. This may be sending buyers into the aftermarket and that is what we are seeing.

I agree though that i wouldn't sell any platinum coins here as platinum is still well off of the highs. It appears there is also a new growing investment community in platinum and platinum coins which bodes well for the series.

PS. I am not a member of any herd, i went against the grain and liked the buffalo fractionals and plat proof more than the w unc. So far that has been the right call however that doesn't mean all won't do well. I say buy all if you can and did back then.image
  • Options

7/8

So if we use the sales figures as the basis for our count, we are sheeple who "only believe what they are told" by the Mint.

Instead we're supposed to listen to what we are told from you?

I'll take the Mint's numbers over yours.

aaah, the sheeple on here laugh, but continue to pull in tidy profits on those 4 cn unc-w plat sets......

Yup, I'll pull in tidy profits while I enjoy your increasingly ludicrous posts.

First that 1,000 coin per denomination correction was coming in December, and then it was January... now it's mid February, and still nothing.

You're starting to remind me of Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich. Unwilling to surrender to reality.

Dan
  • Options
    You rely on the folks who cant explain why they can't deduct the hundreds and hundreds of cancellations of 1/4's from their sales numbers?

Have you spoken with them? I have. They have no explanation.

Ditto for the 4 coin sets.

IMO, massive demand and large "block" orders on the 1/10's, 1/4's and 4 cn sets led to "huge" overorder or excessive orders being taken.....

many of those have been cancelled by the USM already, but not deducted from the sales numbers as of yet (that's what we've been told)

Large block orders by few customers presents an interesting dilemma in a "return" situation (the USM should be aware of returns, as they experienced on this very issue in August) -

you need to have hundreds of extra orders ready to go in case of large returns (the likelyhood of large returns is significantly increased if the purchased coins are held by few customers).......

by the way, those reported cancellations of hundreds of coins were timely, right in the first week of Dec, right after the 30 day window expired.....

I am patient. The numbers have been requested by many parties. They will come.

I am tasting that icy beer already.......especially when it's free

• Options
    However, the mintages are relatively comparable (and indeed the $100s have lower mintages in some cases)

When it comes to the "Foundation of Democracy" series, in quite a few cases the $100.00 denomination does indeed have a lower mintage than certain of its smaller-denomination counterparts.

I was not refering to pre-2006 $100.00 coins ... go back and re-read my post !!

Ok, I give up. Which $100 Plats are lower mintage than the same year's 1/4 ozers or the 1/2 ozers, excluding the 2007 Anniversary Set issues?

None, I think.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
  • Options
    If you will kindly consult a mintage chart for the 2006-W to 2008-W Foundations set, you will note that
    the one-tenth ouncers were consistantly produced in higher number then the $100.00s.

Just take a look at the mintage figures to confirm this image
  • Options
    The 1/4 2008 unc w did drop 402 coins in number from the peak so somebody was correcting the numbers in the stats. It may be they did not add all of the orders into the numbers and these are not what seem think they are. At times in the past for other series they have stopped orders at calculated mintages so we have no way of knowing what the person doing the numbers used as a basis for these.

Assuming they are the same as the person doing this for 2006 and 2007 then it seems likely the numbers are within the same accuracy of those years.

• Options
    There were more one-tenth ounce uncirculated platinum "dimes" produced then uncirculated platinum $100.00s in every
    year of the entire series from 2006 - 2008!

A coin with little eye appeal due to its tiny one-tenth ounce size, and produced in far greater quantities then the $100.00s,
    which in contrast possess all of the fore-mentioned attributes in my previous posts today.

Which would you rather have?

• Options

More important - which will the wife let me buy? image
  • Options

<< <i>Which would you rather have? >>

$10's are my favorites--I like the size and I believe they'll be more popular due to affordability. However, based on your criteria, the $50's look especially good and the $25's aren't bad either...guess I like them all.
  • Options

<< <i>Which would you rather have?

>>

I think it depends on the money people have available to spend on coins. In terms of raw numbers the w unc 1/10 are very close to the 1 ounce so there may be more demand for the smaller size. I like the 1 ounce size myself however I think it will under perform the 1/10 on a percentage basis.
  • Options

<< <i>However, the mintages are relatively comparable (and indeed the $100s have lower mintages in some cases)

When it comes to the "Foundation of Democracy" series, in quite a few cases the $100.00 denomination does indeed have a lower mintage than certain of its smaller-denomination counterparts.

I was not refering to pre-2006 $100.00 coins ... go back and re-read my post !!

Ok, I give up. Which $100 Plats are lower mintage than the same year's 1/4 ozers or the 1/2 ozers, excluding the 2007 Anniversary Set issues?

None, I think.image >>

I was not refering to the 1/4 or 1/2 ouncers in my previous discussion, but rather the 1/10 ouncers. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ....
    I was just sharing my logic on why the $100.00s work for me.

However, I'm sure that we will all do well, regardless of size ...

Of course, sometimes bigger IS better

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I've always liked the half-ouncers best, then the quarters. I also believe they will ultimately have the best collector base and value. I just don't see that many people taking on those big bad slugs. image
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

<< <i>I've always liked the half-ouncers best, then the quarters. I also believe they will ultimately have the best collector base and value. I just don't see that many people taking on those big bad slugs. image >>

I'll take those big bad slugs all day long image
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In answer to the above, I prefer the $100.00s because they are the most impressive in terms of size and heft,
    as well as the best venue to properly display the design. The smaller denominations are too small to easily
    view (and fully appreciate) the design.

If you had a choice when it came to collecting classic United States gold coins, which would you rather have ...
    a $2.50 Panama-Pacific gold coin, or a $50.00 Panama Pacific gold coin?

I suspect the $50.00 coin, as it is much more impressive.

If there were a huge difference in mintage figures between the smaller denomination coins in the platinum
    series and the $100.00, then I would consider the smaller coins.

However, the mintages are relatively comparable (and indeed the $100s have lower mintages in some cases),
    so I would instinctively go with the largest and most impressive coin available. Namely, the $100.00s !

I suspect that when the world at large discovers these coins, then it will be the largest denomination (the $100.00)
    that most folks will be drawn to (who can afford them).

Especially if they want only one representative example of the series for display. >>

Thanks very much for sharing your insights. It is especially interesting to hear from a classics collector with an interest in moderns.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

WOW, those '08 proofs should be just smokin' in years to come. They are THE KINGS by such a clear margin.
  • Options
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    In regard to the $10-$25-$50-$100 uncirculated-W APE discussion I think that at this time while the numismatic premium over base metal content remains modest the $10 and to a lesser extent $25s and even $50s have collector interest that exceeds the $100.

IMO this is largely a reflection of the base cost of 1/10-1/4 and 1/2 oz of plat vs the 1 oz slugs.
    There are simply less players at this time with the $1000++ league entry fee.

Having said that in the future when numismatic value will likely far out weigh base metal content then I expect the 1 oz. and the 1/2s to shine for all the reasons kingplatinum has pointed out.

All IMO
  • Options

<< <i>image
    image >>

Schweeeet! The king of kings of plat. proofs. When did you aquire this? Did you get it raw or graded? NICE!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Raufus for posting the mintage numbers on the Plats!
    And another thanks to Coinman for showing me a PR70 in the coin I got a few of from the MINT this year.
    Helluva a low mintage!!

Now, where have the Platinum Eagles gone??
    Kitco has none, Tulving has none, APMEX has zero, MCM has very few, Gainsville has a few Anniversaries at a high-premium!

Good call to those of you that continue to hold these rare beauties!!!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    I would like your expert opinion on the long term value of the Proof and Reverse proof 70

Mine are perfect and in NGC special labels, PF70UC and PF70
  • Options
    230 pages image I read the first few.. argh ! lol this forum needs to show you how many pages so you dont read them all image

Is there an update on your opinions on First Spouse proofs ? and who knows more about the meltoffs of the early ones which dealers had too many of (UNCs ? both?)

Figures out recently show 20,000 for the first few but declining purchases

As for the Platinum 10th Anniversary set, final mintage 19,583 ? I think none if many would have been melted.

- 30,000 sets didn't seem that many when I bought it
  • Options

I just noticed that a "Buy it Now" sale on E-bay several days ago for a 2006-W $100 Platinum in PCGS-70 First Strike
    realized $3,000.00. I suppose that makes sense as the 2008-W $100.00s are now approaching $2,000.00.

Very nice image
  • Options
    Half

The 1/4's dropped 400+ from returns, not cancellations
  • Options
    I am tasting that icy beer already.......especially when it's free

You are tasting that free icy beer in the same fictional place where you are reviewing imaginary numbers.

I'll tell you what-- if and when we ever do meet for that beer, I'll bring a 2006w so you can see what one looks like in real life.
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image
    image >>

Schweeeet! The king of kings of plat. proofs. When did you aquire this? Did you get it raw or graded? NICE! >>

i bought 2 of them along with some other bullion and submitted all(i sent nothing back to the mint) and got these grades.

rder #20261839 / Submission #100040
    Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade
    1 1 12997609 399930 2008-W $25 American Buffalo US MS70
    1 2 12997610 399930 2008-W $25 American Buffalo US MS70
    1 3 12997611 399930 2008-W $25 American Buffalo US MS70
    2 1 12997612 393082 2008-W $50 Statue of Liberty US MS70
    2 2 12997613 393082 2008-W $50 Statue of Liberty US MS70
    2 3 12997614 393082 2008-W $50 Statue of Liberty US MS70
    3 1 12997615 393090 2008-W $50 Statue of Liberty US PR70DC
    3 2 12997616 393090 2008-W $50 Statue of Liberty US PR69DC
    Total Items: 8
    Date Received: 1/5/2009
    Date Shipped: N/A
    Order Status: Shipped

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file