Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    It shows the buffalo unc fractionals as not having asterisks and they are not available. Asterisks were also added much later than not available for some options.

So it would be strange to not put asterisks on the unc buffaloes if all it means is they are not available.

Well, last week David Harper wrote:

"Sacagawea $1 bags and rolls are back on the page. The number of tenth-ounce proof gold American Eagles jumped this week. The asterisk put on the total last week was an error. Other asterisks were added to the page this week."
    link

Feel free to interpret that how you want. To me, that suggests the asterisk means no longer available.
    Dan
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The market turns on a dime for the next hot thing.....we all should be used to this already....

if the plat unc mintages show sub 2006-w like I believe they will.......they will be the next hot thing. How hot? Who knows.

Mid-January has become end of January, still no change.

Is there a new deadline for the 1,000+ reduction in 2008 plat unc numbers? >>

12/21/2012image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to beat a dead horse...because I feel ole' Trigger might have some life in him yet...but aren't there still some uncancelled orders for some of the "*" options? Also...didn't some of these sales numbers land where they did while large quantities of sales and returns were still flying back and forth between people on this board?

Some I'm a little leery to agree that "sales" equal "mintage" using these numbers.
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    I'm a little leery to agree that "sales" equal "mintage" using these numbers.

I don't think anyone is suggesting sales = mintage.

But sales numbers are the best available indicator of mintage.

In the 2008 w platinum uncirculated case, we've got numbers that were reported in November, and only slight revisions since then.

The actual numbers could easily be different than the sales figures, but it requires a bigger leap of faith than I'm willing to make to believe that revisions of 1,000 coins/denomination are coming.
    Dan
    Going back to the source material, the "*" means the following:

"Sales" columns show U.S. Mint Sales figures released in January Week 5 (units per coin/set sold).

Just curious...but at this point in 2007 and 2008...how much did these numbers ultimately change vs. final stated mintages when the smoke cleared? Is there any reason that type of analysis wouldn't also be valid this time around?
  • Are you guys paying attention? IF the 4 coin "w" gold set ends at around 3,000 sets where will that put the quarter once 2008-W mint state gold eagle? This will be interesting to watch.

Much more so than fighting over the 2008 "w" plats. I can say for a flat fact that the 2008 "w" plats will have nothing like the same 6,000 coin drop from the order report to final finals that the $50 gold W eagle did last year because there cant be that many coins.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I have the final numbers from 2006 and 2007 so from what I see the 2007 numbers are what we use today. The 2006 numbers dropped a little, from 150 coins to about 50 coins is all for all four options with the added 4 coin sets.

One difference though between the 2007 and 2008 numbers vs. the 2006 is the 2006 had all numbers rounded to the nearest 100. That may account for the eventual change but I have no way of knowing.

It does look though like 2006 was a rounded number and 2007, 2008 are obviously not.

Here is how they looked for plat unc

year
    1/2
    1/4
    1/10
    4 coin set

• << <i>The market turns on a dime for the next hot thing.....we all should be used to this already....

if the plat unc mintages show sub 2006-w like I believe they will.......they will be the next hot thing. How hot? Who knows.

Mid-January has become end of January, still no change.

Is there a new deadline for the 1,000+ reduction in 2008 plat unc numbers? >>

Mid January was the correct prediction..............................Mid January, 2010
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad for a Sealed Box

• << <i>Are you guys paying attention? IF the 4 coin "w" gold set ends at around 3,000 sets where will that put the quarter once 2008-W mint state gold eagle? This will be interesting to watch. >>

I've been watching it like a hawk watches baby mice.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Are you guys paying attention? IF the 4 coin "w" gold set ends at around 3,000 sets where will that put the quarter once 2008-W mint state gold eagle? This will be interesting to watch. >>

The 2008-W $10 1/4 ounce unc. gold eagle could wind up being the main key in the entire (non-error) gold eagle universe, the only coin with a mintage under 10,000 and possibly as low as 7,500. Still available at the moment at about $72 over melt.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not bad for a Sealed Box >>

That's actually incredible for an uncertain mintage set of Platinum Coins, GB!!

Nothing like the new kid on the block, even if he isn't tougher.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not bad for a Sealed Box >>

That's actually incredible for an uncertain mintage set of Platinum Coins, GB!!

Nothing like the new kid on the block, even if he isn't tougher.

Miles >>

WOW and to think that I sold three seald sets for $2600. This raw set sold for PCGS 70 money. Congrats to the seller. Hard to figure why this price would be paid for, as you state, an uncertain mintage. The numbers where about the same when I sold a month or so ago.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i><< Are you guys paying attention? IF the 4 coin "w" gold set ends at around 3,000 sets where will that put the quarter once 2008-W mint state gold eagle? This will be interesting to watch. >>

The 2008-W $10 1/4 ounce unc. gold eagle could wind up being the main key in the entire (non-error) gold eagle universe, the only coin with a mintage under 10,000 and possibly as low as 7,500. Still available at the moment at about $72 over melt. >>

Who's buying the quarters??
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who's buying the quarters?? >>

Likely jump in sales...will depend on mintage. Probably a good/safe gamble! I'm in.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Are you guys paying attention? IF the 4 coin "w" gold set ends at around 3,000 sets where will that put the quarter once 2008-W mint state gold eagle? This will be interesting to watch. >>

I've been watching it like a hawk watches baby mice. >>

Please excuse the crud on the plastic...but, here's the key you are looking for. Ren(W)

Interesting article from Reuters right now on how gold has hit it's Euro adjusted all time high price today...PLUS there are reports that China is exploring buying gold bullion as an alternative to US Treasuries!

If that ever happens, there's simply not enough of the shiny metal on planet Earth to supply that demand.

Link:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/goldMktRpt/idUSLU14064220090130?rpc=401&amp;
  • Gold has served as a store of wealth for 5,000 years.
  • youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    The tenth ounce Unc AGE is the one to watch.
  • goldman86goldman86 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    The 2008w $10 unc gold will have a VERY low mintage if the 4 coin sets are indeed sold out!!!
    The Stealth Ninja
  • goldman86goldman86 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    oops. doubled up.
    The Stealth Ninja
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    I think the focus is on the UHR and future 2009 coins. This may draw people away from the 2008 AGE and sales figures may not change much. This may be good for the gold quarters.

<< <i>I think the focus is on the UHR and future 2009 coins. This may draw people away from the 2008 AGE and sales figures may not change much. This may be good for the gold quarters. >>

When will the AGE Unc. fractionals start going B.O. and then dark?? It seems that usually the 4 coins sets go first, then the fractionals go shortly thereafter. I believe (but am not positive) that this was the case with the Plats.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think the fractional AGEs would last this long. The senior sales rep at the Mint I spoke with a few weeks ago said they were near sellout. She would not reveal any quantity though...

They must be moving very slowww.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??

Did you guys see this PCGS 2008 W MS70 Plat set which sold for $7200??? At the same time there were other PCGS MS70 sets offered for $3800-$3900.

This seller now has another one listed for $10K OBO. He must STILL be celebrating.

Sorry I don't know how to do the link function, but this is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PCGS-2008-four-coin-UNC-MS70-PLATINUM-EAGLE-COIN-SET_W0QQitemZ130284661065QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_Bullion?hash=item130284661065&amp;_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&amp;_trkparms=66:2|65:13|39:1|240:1318
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    This must be a sham....look at all his listings for regular ms plat bullion at $10,000.

either a shill or a pathetically ignorant buyer. I'm voting shill, either way, it has nothing to do with market prices for 2008w unc plats.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    that is the power of PCGS first strike.

1/2's in PCGS MS70 went for almost $3g each.
  • The mintage on the 2008 unc AGE will be whatever they minted. They'll just keep them on sale until they're gone, which shouldn't be much longer. The only question a buyer needs to consider is the entry price. Do you buy now or do you gamble on gold dropping before these sell out?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    only the usm to blame for the hold up of those final mintage numbers on the unc-w plats.....

they say they are forthcoming, expected mid month January, then end of month, I expect any day now.

the PCGS FS coins in 70 have moved dramatically, 1/2 oz in fs ms70 $2980

even the mighty proof plat same denomination, same year in pr70dcam or the Buff $50 unc or prf70 couldnt surpass it.......

seems like some people are catching onto what will be known soon.......
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outlier price, take that one with a grain of salt...Give me a break on the first strike or first release or whatever = if people pay more for that type of label, more power to them.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    I agree about the label, but I know of at least 4 other pieces traded at "around" the same level for PCGS FS 1/2 oz un-w plat, wholesale

<< <i>that is the power of PCGS first strike.

1/2's in PCGS MS70 went for almost $3g each. >>

Hi 7over8-

I hope that you're right. I paid almost $3K for a 2008 W $50 Plat Proof in PCGS PR70DCAM FS just after they were originally released when the sets were around $4400 and they were all FS. I think that the pop. is very low for this one. I had long thought that I got slammed on this coin. Perhaps it will eventually get back to what I paid for it - or at least I can hope.

I wouldnt pay huge premiums for labels, but there are those that do - to each their own.

• NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    Just for the record, the set that sold for $7,200 was not a changing reverse uncirculated 2008 W PCGS MS70 FS set. That was a regular 2008 without "W" bullion PCGS MS70 FS set...And the price seems high...
    hey good catch. bet the buyer thought he was buying a changing rev set.

bet it wont get completed now.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>if people pay more for that type of label, more power to them.<<

I wouldn't pay a *lot* more for a First Strike label, but I would pay a little more because I like the looks of the FS label better than the standard label. I have a few FS labeled coins in 69 and even one in 68.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Everyone knows a First Strike insert label is just a piece of paper, but so is a hundred dollar bill. Both are perceived to have "value," along with an insert label bearing the MS-70 grade.

The attraction of the F/S label (to those who are attracted to it) is that the number produced is limited. For example, 3,068 $100 2006-W's were struck. I own one of the 362 MS70's labeled F/S. That leaves 2,706 others "out there," and the number of those which eventually wind up as MS70's will increase down the road, for certain.

Supply and demand govern price. Since the "362" will remain static, they stand a better chance of retaining (or increasing) value than a gradually increasing number of "plain Jane" MS70's.

Those who put down the F/S (or NGC's "Early Release") labels are correct when they say the coins are not truly struck first, but that's not the point. And there are enough collectors of them so that they will always have extra value in the marketplace, regardless of how loudly the naysayers continue to protest.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/

• << <i>I agree about the label, but I know of at least 4 other pieces traded at "around" the same level for PCGS FS 1/2 oz un-w plat, wholesale >>

Weren't the 04 proof plat 1/2's trading in the strong $4K range? These 08's seem underwhelming to the previous plat Kings. Has the monarchy lost its luster?
  • Gold Unc. 4 Coin Set is GONE OFF the order page!!! SOLD OUT?
    Charles Crews ** CU Members that I have had Buy/sell deals with alohagary,dabigkahuna,goldman86,fivecents,endzone,clackamas,ericj96,Bochiman,Wingsrule,adriana,claychaser,holeinone1972,itsnotjustme,MJcoin,Kishul,jsego,TWQG,carlwolfort,jmski52,steelielee,grote15
  • Unc Gold 4 Coin set is gone from the order page!!! Sold Out?? Sorry about the Duplicate PostCould not find it and I posted again.
    Charles Crews ** CU Members that I have had Buy/sell deals with alohagary,dabigkahuna,goldman86,fivecents,endzone,clackamas,ericj96,Bochiman,Wingsrule,adriana,claychaser,holeinone1972,itsnotjustme,MJcoin,Kishul,jsego,TWQG,carlwolfort,jmski52,steelielee,grote15
    Looks like it is SOLD OUT!!! Now, when will the fractionals go backordered? Amazing that none have yet!
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The Prosperity Set is now on back order. The unc AGEs can't be far behind.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like it is SOLD OUT!!! Now, when will the fractionals go backordered? Amazing that none have yet! >>

Just start a new thread advertising the set sellout & the fractionals will be gone in no time.imageimage
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4444 image
    Hey Eric.

HE>I

• << <i>

<< <i>I agree about the label, but I know of at least 4 other pieces traded at "around" the same level for PCGS FS 1/2 oz un-w plat, wholesale >>

Weren't the 04 proof plat 1/2's trading in the strong $4K range? These 08's seem underwhelming to the previous plat Kings. Has the monarchy lost its luster? >>

If you have not noticed everything from real-estate to stocks and about everything else has lost its luster. We are in the midst of the worst recession in 80 years.

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree about the label, but I know of at least 4 other pieces traded at "around" the same level for PCGS FS 1/2 oz un-w plat, wholesale >>

Weren't the 04 proof plat 1/2's trading in the strong $4K range? These 08's seem underwhelming to the previous plat Kings. Has the monarchy lost its luster? >>

I think that in time the '08 plat proofs will be incredible coins.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think that in time the '08 plat proofs will be incredible coins. >>

I agree. Besides the poor economy, many more flippers bought the 08s than the 04s. Until those flippers exhaust their supplies, prices are going to stay modest.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • I had to buy my platinum proof coins separately from the Mint with the 1/10th from e-Bay ($200 each). Since I wanted the coins raw in a set, I looked around for proof boxes with the COAs for the 2008 proofs. George from Modern Coin Mart was great and found two boxes for me. I am a happy camper now.

• << <i>

<< <i>

If you have not noticed everything from real-estate to stocks and about everything else has lost its luster. We are in the midst of the worst recession in 80 years. >>

I prefer this to the rampant inflation and gas lines of the late 70's early 80's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file