Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    NYC -

I am relaxed. I have been all along.

However, you seem to be very concerned that the 06w does not get eclipsed by the 08w's. Thought you were indifferent? Maybe some large holdings of 06w's gotcha worried?

No need to worry, those 06w's are good coins, even if eclipsed by the 08w's. Right? Sounds just like the same line you used on your post, but only reversed......hmmmm

What you consider a HUGE (in caps) "gulf" right now could be decreased substantially, as you cannot even prove that backorder points don't include some "padding" of orders......as we know regularly happened in previous years of 5-15% of totals.

So when you speak of the numbers, your "soft" 1257 quote on the sets could have been a have been 1100-1200 hard sets with a 50-150 set excess order. It is VERY (note the CAPS) possible sets could drop as much as 900 in number.

What I continue to say is that the US Mint's "Order Report" is not a good source for determining final mintage numbers.

EVERYONE should be questioning why the USM allowed the orders to continue to flow in, after backorder points were in place, for hundreds of orders - waaaaaay in excess of any inventory.

A possible reason is that there were several very large orders, on the plat unc's, 1/10's, 1/4's and 4 coin sets, where if they were returned, the USM would have been in a worse position than in early August........and potentially the reason why so many backup orders were in place. These orders, once not needed to swallow potential returns, were cancelled.

Cancellations have not been deducted from those sales numbers. That is what we have been told.

We have to wait for the mintage numbers - they will tell the story.

• nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    NYC -

I am relaxed. I have been all along.

However, you seem to be very concerned that the 06w does not get eclipsed by the 08w's. Thought you were indifferent? Maybe some large holdings of 06w's gotcha worried?

No need to worry, those 06w's are good coins, even if eclipsed by the 08w's. Right? Sounds just like the same line you used on your post, but only reversed......hmmmm

1. I guess you've decided not to acknowledge your made-up "can't happen" quote.

2. I'm indifferent to which of the 2 ends up on top. I have a large number of 2006ws. I have an equally large number of 2008ws. So it doesn't make any difference to me which ends up on top. Can you claim the same? I don't think so.

3. You previously said there were "at least 900 orders for sets taken since backorder." Now you say now say "It is VERY (note the CAPS) possible sets could drop as much as 900 in number." So it looks like you are backing down from your claim. The fact is, we don't know how many sets were taken when they went on backorder. We only know what the prior week's sales numbers for sets were and they stayed on sale for a couple of days after that. The sales figures, dated a few days later, popped by 900, but we don't have any way to know how many of the 900 could be backorders.

4. "We have to wait for the mintage numbers - they will tell the story." Really? I'm happy to wait; it seemed to me that you're the one pitching made up numbers instead of just waiting for the real ones.

Dan
    Answers to NYC's rant:

1) No. You were very clear in your post about impossibilities.
    2) Yes. I can claim the same.
    3) No. Not backing down at all.
    4) Yes. Happy to wait too. Seems like you have been doing alot of pitching away from the possibility of this issue being sub-06w.

Clearly, there are two "camps" on what may have happened with these 08w unc plat sales.

• Let The Games Begin!!!!

The Truth

shall set you free?

Ships are safe in harbor but thats not what ships were built for.
  • In the end, It really doesn'y matter who is right and who is wrong

Both coin sets are nice.
    Answers to NYC's rant:

1) No. You were very clear in your post about impossibilities.

So you think it's fine to make up quotes. good to know.

2) Yes. I can claim the same.

you can claim the same, but you'd be lying. you didn't even exist in the platinum world in 2006.

3) No. Not backing down at all.

again, your suggestion that over 900 sets were added to the count after the backorder is demonstrably incorrect, but don't let the facts stop you

4) Yes. Happy to wait too. Seems like you have been doing alot of pitching away from the possibility of this issue being sub-06w.

you have no choice but to wait. 2 months have passed, and we're still waiting for your fairy tales to come true.
    Dan
    In the end, It really doesn'y matter who is right and who is wrong

Both coin sets are nice.

Agreed.
    Dan
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I think everyone is ignoring a very real THIRD possibility: that staggering numbers of '07 unc-w plats have been lost in a CATACLYSMIC EVENT! I have it from a reliable source that 82% of the '07 plats were on board the US Air jet that WENT DOWN IN THE HUDSON RIVER! Some of the coins have already been recovered, but show telltale signs of exposure to human excrement. PCGS is already preparing "Bird Strike" labels for them and collectors of shipwreck coins are positioning themselves for a rabid bidding war.

So tell me, who is the king NOW???
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
    I think everyone is ignoring a very real THIRD possibility: that staggering numbers of '07 unc-w plats have been lost in a CATACLYSMIC EVENT! I have it from a reliable source that 82% of the '07 plats were on board the US Air jet that WENT DOWN IN THE HUDSON RIVER! Some of the coins have already been recovered, but show telltale signs of exposure to human excrement. PCGS is already preparing "Bird Strike" labels for them and collectors of shipwreck coins are positioning themselves for a rabid bidding war.

So tell me, who is the king NOW???

lol GritsMan, I don't know about that, but I have previously suggested that 2007s might prove to be the hardest of the 3 years... I expect there are hoards of 2006 and 2008s, but 2007s were considered "high" mintage, and I doubt anyone has a big stash of them. We know that some of the 2006s were sold as bullion during the platinum runup to 2300/oz; it stands to reason that more of the 2007s would have suffered the same fate. If demand for the uncirculated platinums ever materializes, the 2007s might surprise us.
    Dan
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I think in terms of availability that the '04 half and one oz plat proofs may be the hardest to find REGARDLESS of mintage. I think that dispersion is very important, not just mintage numbers. All the talk of mintage reminds me of kids first getting their hands on a Redbook and seeing low mintage "bargain" 19th C. pieces.

I mean mintage is important but I can not see it as the only factor. Another coin IMO in this category is the unc. Jackie - I just have not seen hoards of them around in a few hands & I think availability with that coin as well as others is not directly dependent on mintage.

Another example is British coins of the 19th C. where the mintages are a bit mixed in that the reports are on the total number of coins minted and do not account for meltings, recalls, coins struck in that year with previous year(s) date.

I suggest how about if we not get overly excited about the numbers minted until we get "real" numbers?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    NYC, if any collector base at all develops for these, they all will be in huge demand. I also think it's possible a lot of '07s got melted. But I tell you, the first eBayer to get a "Bird Strike" coin up for auction is going to CLEAN UP!

And 7J, people HAVE to get excited on speculation for these because no one has any money left to buy the High Relief!
  • NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    Grits,

There won't be a stampede on eBay for the "Bird Strike" labels. I pre-ordered all of them and won't be selling on eBay. I am keeping them all for the long run. Sorry!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pre-ordered all of them and won't be selling on eBay. I am keeping them all for the long run. Sorry!

I hear ya, Ben. I ordered about half of 2008-Ws when they first came out, and I'd have been much, much, much happier if they'd never come back on sale.

But they did, and so I bought more. I wouldn't have bought more if they didn't look like they were going somewhere. They all look pretty good, even now.

I wish that people would "think vintage wine". Don't be in such a hurry. It's makin' me crazy.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>Grits,

There won't be a stampede on eBay for the "Bird Strike" labels. I pre-ordered all of them and won't be selling on eBay. I am keeping them all for the long run. Sorry! >>

Rats! Foiled again!
    NYC -

Better read the posts back in 06 - just who is not on top of their info now?

I've been in this game a long time. Plats from the beginning. If you have more than 35 years in the coin market, then I concede that you have more knowledge of it.

Fairy Tales? Come on now, shows you are getting a little bit rattled......

They will both be fine sets to own, even if the 06w is eclipsed by the 08w's.

• intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    wow the information and knowledge from you guys is awesome. i love this place.
    welcome intence

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Plats began in 97.
  • Can anyone post any numbers Today????
    Charles Crews ** CU Members that I have had Buy/sell deals with alohagary,dabigkahuna,goldman86,fivecents,endzone,clackamas,ericj96,Bochiman,Wingsrule,adriana,claychaser,holeinone1972,itsnotjustme,MJcoin,Kishul,jsego,TWQG,carlwolfort,jmski52,steelielee,grote15

• << <i> I don't know about that, but I have previously suggested that 2007s might prove to be the hardest of the 3 years... I expect there are hoards of 2006 and 2008s, but 2007s were considered "high" mintage, and I doubt anyone has a big stash of them. We know that some of the 2006s were sold as bullion during the platinum runup to 2300/oz; it stands to reason that more of the 2007s would have suffered the same fate. If demand for the uncirculated platinums ever materializes, the 2007s might surprise us. >>

I sold for scrap 15 of the 1 ounce and 15 of the 1/2 ounce 2007-W APE uncs.
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    If you sell something for scrap does that necessarily mean that the items were melted?
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone post any numbers Today???? >>

I would guess no numbers today due to the "holiday".
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>Can anyone post any numbers Today???? >>

Yes, there were more than one million people in Washington DC for President Obama's inauguration! None of them bought any buffalos or plats.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

What...It's Tuesday and we don't have any screwy "sales/alledged mintage" gold/plat numbers to scream about...what's up with that?
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm suspecting there will be very little if any change to the plat W uncs....... JMHO
    ----- kj
    Mintage numbers to be released very soon, apparently within days

<<Mintage numbers to be released very soon, apparently within days>>

So then...you think I should wait a few days until I take a blowtorch to my Unc plats?!?

• bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<Mintage numbers to be released very soon, apparently within days>>

So then...you think I should wait a few days until I take a blowtorch to my Unc plats?!?

image >>

If you do not torch them soon they will not qualify for the coveted First Torched™ insert.......

My advice, ACT NOW !!!
    And I ain't lying this time.
    I'm willing to wager 7over8 that 2008w uncirculated platinum mintages do not end up "kings."

My offer:

If any of the 2008w unc plat denominations end up with mintages lower than the same denomination 2006w unc plat, I'll give 7over8 a 2008w $25 unc plat coin.

If none of the 2008w coins have mintages lower than 2006w, he gives me a 2008w $25 unc plat coin.

The 2008w $25 won't be worth as much if I win this bet; placing the value in his favor to account for the fact the odds are against him.

Also, I'll say he wins if any denomination 2008w beats the corresponding 2006w coin.

Dan
    The wager is open through the end of the day.

Dan
  • A very, very fair wager.
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm willing to wager 7over8 that 2008w uncirculated platinum mintages do not end up "kings."

My offer:

If any of the 2008w unc plat denominations end up with mintages lower than the same denomination 2006w unc plat, I'll give 7over8 a 2008w $25 unc plat coin.

If none of the 2008w coins have mintages lower than 2006w, he gives me a 2008w $25 unc plat coin.

The 2008w $25 won't be worth as much if I win this bet; placing the value in his favor to account for the fact the odds are against him.

Also, I'll say he wins if any denomination 2008w beats the corresponding 2006w coin. >>

Not to take sides, but looking at the numbers, yours odds are a lot better so it is not a fair bet.image Maybe make it 2 to 1 or 3 to 1?image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

Not to take sides, but looking at the numbers, yours odds are a lot better so it is not a fair bet. Maybe make it 2 to 1 or 3 to 1?

I think the odds are more than fair.

After all, on Jan. 15 (tab 212), 7over8 wrote:

Well given that there are at least 900 orders for sets taken since backorder, there will be 9/10's of the reduction you claim "can't happen".

Subtracting out 900 set orders easily places all the coins in contention, and under my wager, I lose if any denomination beats 2006w.

Indeed, if there are 900 backorders to be subtracted out, you could probably argue that the odds of one 2008w denomination beating 2006w is at least even money, but the payout to me if I win, a 2008w $25 (second place coin), probably won't be worth as much as if 7over8 wins and those coins are the new kings.
    Dan

<<If any of the 2008w unc plat denominations end up with mintages lower than the same denomination 2006w unc plat, I'll give 7over8 a 2008w $25 unc plat coin.>>

Would that coin be stamped "Made in China"?
    Would that coin be stamped "Made in China"?

i'm a man of my word.
    Dan
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    unfortunately you would have to rely on the mints time table to get accurate mintages. And from what I understand it can take years to get a proper reconciliation.
    unfortunately you would have to rely on the mints time table to get accurate mintages. And from what I understand it can take years to get a proper reconciliation.

we can agree to use whatever the numbers are as of a certain date, say June 1. In the unlikely event the numbers subsequently change after that date, we can agree to reverse the outcome if necessary (return the $25 sent along with a second).
    Dan
    Now, that livens things up a lot!
    Now, that livens things up a lot!

I agree-- this is meant as a friendly wager. The gain or loss of a $25 shouldn't be significant to either of us.
    Dan
  • Do it, 0.875. This is more interesting than Seinfeld betting on whether he is master of his domain.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Indeed, if there are 900 backorders to be subtracted out, you could probably argue that the odds of one 2008w denomination beating 2006w is at least even money, but the payout to me if I win, a 2008w $25 (second place coin), probably won't be worth as much as if 7over8 wins and those coins are the new kings. >>

I think the 2008 w unc will have to go well under 2006 w unc levels to really be kings. Otherwise you have the same situation as the unc silver commemoratives with the Olympic coins. The wheelchair silver dollar barely commands more than the the nearest coins.

The way the numbers are now though the 2006 w unc are kings and by a decent amount. PS On your bet I think you were more than generous, you should have asked for a 2008 plat proof.image
    I think the 2008 w unc will have to go well under 2006 w unc levels to really be kings. Otherwise you have the same situation as the unc silver commemoratives with the Olympic coins. The wheelchair silver dollar barely commands more than the the nearest coins.

The way the numbers are now though the 2006 w unc are kings and by a decent amount. PS On your bet I think you were more than generous, you should have asked for a 2008 plat proof.

Well, I thought about asking for a 2006w unc. $25 -- so if I lost, I'd have to pay with a "king" and if he lost, it would cost him a "king" but I figured keeping it with a 2008w $25 unc plat makes it more fair; the odds are against him and the stakes should reflect that.
    Dan
  • sales report 1-21-2009

4 set

UNC W GOLD

PROOF GOLD

BUFF W

BUFF PROOF

PROOF PLATS

PLAT W

• Would it be correct to think from these figures that the fractional gold Eagle proofs from 2008 won't ever be worth much?

I've got 3 1/10th gold proofs on order, and now I'm wondering if I should cancel them.

Would it be correct to think from these figures that the fractional gold Eagle proofs from 2008 won't ever be worth much?

I've got 3 1/10th gold proofs on order, and now I'm wondering if I should cancel them.

I don't see much potential on the gold proofs right now, just my opinion.
    Dan
  • The buff unc set came down 228!
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i>Would it be correct to think from these figures that the fractional gold Eagle proofs from 2008 won't ever be worth much?

I don't see much potential on the gold proofs right now, just my opinion. >>

I agree the proof gold is going no place unless the sales report is WAY off.......

The unc buff issues are shockingly low..........

The gift year.............
    1. Proof plats
    2. Fractinal proof buffs and all the unc w buffs not including the half

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The buff unc set came down 228! >>

You saw that too huh?image
    Half -

1 coin less than 06w and it is King.

Look at the price relationship between the 94P morgan at 110k and the 93s at 100k, pretty substantial diff in pricing, huh?

There can only be one King.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file