Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Bill Gates could probably buy the remaining 2008 w $100s (say there's 1,000 of them, that would cost $1.2M) and 4 coin sets (say another 1,000 for $2.2M). Then buy up the 1,500 or so $100s on the secondary market (say average price $4,000 per coin, $6M). He could then melt all but 5 $100s. That's an outlay of about $9.5M, recouping $3.5M from the bullion at $800/ounce. So he's out of pocket for $6M, and has a coin with a population of 5.

These coins wouldn't be as significant numismatically as, say, the 1913 Liberty nickel, which has a much larger collector base and is such a small population compared to the mintages of other coins in that series. It might be more interesting than tragic. In reality, it probably wouldn't even be that interesting. They just aren't widely collected enough for many people to care.

Dan
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill Gates could probably buy the remaining 2008 w $100s (say there's 1,000 of them, that would cost $1.2M) and 4 coin sets (say another 1,000 for $2.2M). Then buy up the 1,500 or so $100s on the secondary market (say average price $4,000 per coin, $6M).

No he couldn't.

The price on the secondary market would exceed $4,000 per coin *long* before he could buy the entire population. Especially when the market realized what was going on, via the price rise and increasing scarcity of specimens of that particular coin.

Plus there are probably several hundred wealthy "completists" who would want to maintain their complete plat sets and couldn't care less about the price the coins would bring on the secondary market.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    No he couldn't. The price on the secondary market would exceed $4,000 per coin *long* before he could buy the entire population.

okay, well, maybe he couldn't get all of them. But I'm guessing he could make a very significant dent.
    Dan
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2009, A More Perfect Union

Seems like the Union is more perfect w/o me in 2009. So, I won't be buying!

Ren
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>These are the images of the 2009 Platinum Eagle reverse design candidates. The images are courtesy of CW:

image >>

>>

I would think the two on the top right aren't bad, either would have good sales. And the mint needs a design that sells coins, not one that hurts sales. The one with the four heads is the worst though, it has no relevance to earlier designs and I think the mint needs to make these somewhat compatible with the series. The last three years are compatible with the earlier coins, the one they picked is not.image
  • Options
    I like the middle one on the bottom row, reminds me of some of the better 19th century paper notes.

The "four heads" design needs to be more inclusive, one or two dozen heads might do the job. And they would look so great on the tenth-ounce coin! image

Edited to add: I would want to add the one on the top right to my Mercury dime set. Would it be eligible for the "Full Bands" designation??

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Kick out the trees, arms, and faces and the others are fine. I think I like the bottom middle the best,maybe. The one that has the dime type back maybe a little too much like a dime so I'd pass on that one but not a bad design and they'd have to stay modern if they picked it. I stick with the virous women theme in this series, it nice and accepted IMO.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could stand the lower middle selection, or the upper right in a pinch. The lower left looks like a gate to a Post WWII subdivision, like in "Back to the Future".

I think that a pair of F-16 Eagles over the NYC skyline might be cool. At least they wouldn't have to screw around with rinky-dink privy marks. Going a step further, a few of our other defense symbols might be appropriate for the times we live in.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not married to the Mint. In fact, we may not even be dating anymore

lol image

The Mint is a terrible girlfriend.

Shows no consideration for us and believes that no matter what, we'll continue to give her money.

She'll tease us with this offering or that, but most of the time we're the ones getting %@*#! >>

Sounds like me talking...I knd of like it! imageimage
    Platinum Is Best
  • Options
    The lower middle coin looks great to me...wish I hadn't seen it...probably won't be minted. If it looks great...chances are...the mint will never do it. Just like the eagle and the owl.

If the mint management wanted to do it right and make the most money, they would send out an electronic or paper survey to everyone that has bought plat collector coins in the last 3 to 10 years...asking their opinion on which design they should mint for 2009. Sounds too much like right to me...

Platinum Is Best
  • Options

Platinum Is Best
  • Options
    Here is an explanation on how they arrived at the 4 headed design:

"# Beginning in 2009, the United States Mint will issue platinum coins as part of a six-year series highlighting the core concepts of American democracy, expressed in the preamble to the United States Constitution. The 2009 issue will feature the theme "to form a more perfect union," with designs based on a narrative prepared by John Roberts, Chief Justice of the United States.

# Mr Alexander, the CCAC member appointed based on special expertise in American History, argued that because the phrase "a more perfect union" referred to the creation of a unified and vigorous national government, only three designs were appropriate: the fasces and interlocking circles of design 4, Liberty supporting a bridge on design 6, and the arch and rising sun of design 8.

# The remainder of the discussion centered on design 7, which many members considered to be creative and modern in showing the diversity of America. There were also several favorable comments about the classical artistry of designs 5 and 6. "

So according to this the history expert explained "a more perfect union" was to unify a national government and only three coins represented that. Of coarse they go against that and rewrite history. If they put out that 4 headed coin the mint may be surprised at how few buy platinum coins next year, it's only a guess.

PS I thought the point of going to the privy mark was to get better designs, not worse ones.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see...High Relief Saint???...or ugly PC Plat???

I know which will get my limited funds...
  • Options

Since no one else is buying, I'll probably spring for a tenth-ounce.

I've always wanted to own a coin with a mintage of 1! image

• Options
    MINT CONFIRMS, KILLING THE UNC W COINS! LINK

FOR PLATINUMS, ALL BUT THE 1 OZ PROOF TO BE ELIMINATED

Mint cuts bullion products drastically
    Posted by Dave

Stores have clearance sales. Now the U.S. Mint will have one too.

Starting at 12:01 a.m. Nov. 15, the Mint will be offering hundreds of current and past products to collectors to clear out their two current fulfillment centers in preparation for moving to a new one in Plainfield, Ind.

The news confirms online speculation that some Mint collector versions of bullion coin products will not be offered again. However, the extent of program terminations perhaps surprises.

Uncirculated platinum American Eagles with the “W” mintmark in all sizes end with this year’s coinages.

American Eagle platinum proofs come to an end, too, except for the one-ounce coin.

Uncirculated gold American Eagles will be discontinued except for the one-ounce size.

BUFFALOS KILLED OFF EXCEPT FOR 1 OZ PROOF
    All American Buffalo uncirculated “W” collector versions will be ended.

Proof American Buffalo gold coins will be stopped also except for the one-ounce coin.

Other terminated products include new ones like Presidential dollar Signature Sets and the proof Presidential dollars sold individually.

Old ones, like state quarter First Day Coin Covers and Greetings from America Portfolios and Card Sets, are coming to and end after the 10-year program concludes.

Mint Deputy Director Andrew D. Brunhart says of the clearance sale, “It will be limited time. First come, first served. No household limits. All sales will be final. If you’re wondering, we won’t exceed any Mint limits.”

The sale will conclude at 5 p.m. Dec. 19, but some products are likely to be gone well before then.

MELTING COINS THAT AREN'T SOLD BY DECEMBER 19
    Of those that don’ sell, Brunhart says, “We’re going to be doing a significant detrashing and melting (of) the products that do not sell by Dec. 19. Those products will be immediately broken down and sent to the melter.”

The clearance sale is part of a major re-evaluation of the Mint’s product line. Brunhart says the product offerings will be reduced from more than 550 available in 2008 to roughly 200.

Leftover 2008 products will stay on sale until June, when they will get the same detrashing and melting treatment.

“From now on at the end of each year, we will examine our portfolio to make sure the warehouse is not stuffed with products they (Mint customers) don’t want,” Brunhart says.

“We’re undergoing a significant renewal of our numismatic portfolio in 2009. We have too many products. We have heard loud and clear from our collecting community. We are responding to that. We will be focusing our resources on key products (with the) broadest appeal.

“Fewer products to concentrate on will enable us to bring out and offer much earlier in the calendar year our key products.”

The benefit to collectors will be earlier release of hobby favorites.

Brunhart says, four of these, proof sets, silver proof sets, uncirculated sets and silver Eagles (will be offered) in January of each year.”

Below are the complete lists of discontinued and last chance products:

Discontinued Products

American Eagle Platinum Uncirculated Coins (all options)
    American Eagle Platinum Proof 1⁄2, 1⁄4, 1/10, and Four-Coin Sets

Dan
  • Options
    OMG
  • Options
    Holy Moses!!!

It will be interesting to see the market reaction on all the fracs - both gold and plats...
  • Options
    MELTING COINS THAT AREN'T SOLD BY DECEMBER 19
    Of those that don’ sell, Brunhart says, “We’re going to be doing a significant detrashing and melting (of) the products that do not sell by Dec. 19. Those products will be immediately broken down and sent to the smelter.”

I bet they release all those $1000 bags of statehood quarters into circulation. No reason the melt them or the Sacs.................
  • Options
    Hi,do you think they mean the the plats, gold eagles and buffs are getting melted on the 19th?or are those the ones they are going to sell to june.There will be some nice low mintage coins this year if the dec 19th is it.I also think the buffalo fractionals will be great down the road with no more being made.Just a one time deal for them.Laters
  • Options

<< <i>Hi,do you think they mean the the plats, gold eagles and buffs are getting melted on the 19th?or are those the ones they are going to sell to june.There will be some nice low mintage coins this year if the dec 19th is it.I also think the buffalo fractionals will be great down the road with no more being made.Just a one time deal for them.Laters >>

The only ones that it makes any sense to melt are the gold and plats.

Why would you melt bags of quarters or dollars??
    I would think they will go into circulation.

I think it is the gold and plats that die on Dec. 19th.
  • Options
    The only one that it makes any sense to melt are the gold and plats.

don't forget the spoons! image

Anyway, there is a BIG question now for the platinums. How does elimination of all the fractionals impact collectibility???

Do these coins become MORE appealing, as they are part of a discrete set? I can see an argument for that -- especially as the "keys" will be KNOWN.

No more worrying that the next year will be even worse than the year before.

Once we get final numbers on 2008s, we'll know where things stand, and be able to focus on building a set instead of always worrying about the future.

With the almost universal dislike of the diversity design, we were faced with the prospect of a coin that no one really wants to buy, which would make it low mintage, which would then force us to buy it since it would likely become the next low mintage key.

This might not make a difference one way or another on the collectibility of fractional platinums.

Maybe some will lose interest as it becomes a discrete closed set instead of an evolving series...

But my immediate gut feeling is that, on balance, it's a GOOD thing for them. I'm interested to hear what others think...
    Dan
  • Options
    I see the Uncirculated W 2006-2008 Platinum Eagles are the real kings of modern mintage.

Those sub 5,000 mintage numbers will stick out for years to come.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely good for the little plats. 12 coin set of $10 proofs or a 21 coin set of $5 gold eagles is about the same money. Opens the PMs up to people who were previously unable to imagine that they could ever afford to complete a set. Previously, with limited funds, the collector was forever doing catchup! JMO
  • Options
    I see the Uncirculated W 2006-2008 Platinum Eagles are the real kings of modern mintage.

Those sub 5,000 mintage numbers will stick out for years to come.

That's an excellent point. With the Mint refocusing offerings in this way, it seems extremely unlikely that we'll continue to see sub-5,000 mintages in future years.

Dan
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I am astounded by this news! It's almost too good to be true, especially given the crappy designs we were looking at next year.

My thoughts are this is very good for the plat fractionals. I think the series is just long enough--and definitely beautiful enough--that it will pull in new collectors over time. I'm not as bullish on the unc-w plats, though. With only three years, they will remain an oddity, despite their low mintages. Sure, speculative interest may push prices up, but for real collecting? I don't know. Proofs, IMHO, will be the series to collect, and if there is any big long-term interest in the unc-ws, it will be the proof collectors who also want to add the unc-ws in.

My big ? has to do with the 1-ounce coins. Very few of us have collected these. Now that they are the last plat standing, will collectors shift to them? I know I won't. My investment in the 1/2-ouncers is already solid and I have no wish to expand up. What do others think?

I admit I am sorry to see the fractional unc buffs go. Great coins and designs. I guess it's back to eagles I go.

But...WOW!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    When I clicked of the US coin Forum this morning looking for new information on the plats, I thought how stupid, and impatient I must be to even consider there would be anything but endless speculation about this series with no new real facts about the mint production.
    WOW was I wrong!!
  • Options
    I think this is great news for all the bullion even the past one ounce coins as sales will be high for even the one option left as it will be the only option.

The best news is now these are finished sets all will trade on established sales so for the future we own the kings. image

I would buy up all the plat guys, LOL.image
  • Options
    It seems like they will melt the 07 but the 08 stuff will be sold til gone or June?
    Is that how you interpret?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now all we need is more than a "handful" of MS plat coin collectors world wide. This change may or may not do it. I'm hoping it will, but only time will tell.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>It seems like they will melt the 07 but the 08 stuff will be sold til gone or June?
    Is that how you interpret? >>

That's how I read it, too. It'd be crazy of them to melt the 08 stuff before next year.
  • Options

<< <i>2009, A More Perfect Union

Seems like the Union is more perfect w/o me in 2009. So, I won't be buying!

Ren >>

So, now the More Perfect Union will come in one ounce size only in 2009. Now I'm doubly not going to buy!

I was going to throw back my 2008 W 4 coin unc plat set. I think I'll keep 'em now.

While I was writing this, FedEx showed up and I just got my backorder 2008 W1/4 oz that was backordered?!

Ren
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems like they will melt the 07 but the 08 stuff will be sold til gone or June?
    Is that how you interpret? >>

The items on the list to be discontinued, 2008 1/10th gold buffs for example will be melted if not sold by dec 19th asap.
    Any other 2008 coins unsold by june 2009, 1 ounce proof platinums for example will be melted in june 2009.

That is how I interpet it.
  • Options
    Someone has posted that gold buffalo sales have already gone dark. Unclear at this point if that is true (seems odd, we just learned of the plan to discontinue).
    Dan
  • Options
    I'm not as bullish on the unc-w plats, though. With only three years, they will remain an oddity, despite their low mintages. Sure, speculative interest may push prices up, but for real collecting? I don't know. Proofs, IMHO, will be the series to collect, and if there is any big long-term interest in the unc-ws, it will be the proof collectors who also want to add the unc-ws in.

I think the unc-w plats will make an excellent "starter set" for new plat collectors. Even though only a three-year set, it comprises the complete "single theme" subset of the three branches of government. Collecting the complete unc-w set, whether in one denomination or all four, will also be easier on the budget than collecting proofs.

The fractional buffalos should also be highly collectible, as a one-year type set!

• Options
    Buff proof and AGE uncs dark(?)

I just ordered a proof 1/4 oz buff and a 1/4 oz AGE unc. My order went through but under line item both were no longer available.

Ren
  • Options
    I wonder what will happen with my 1/4 oz proof plat that I returned for exchange upon receiving it last Thursday? It was covered with spots on the reverse, like someone had sneezed on it or something. I asked for an exchange. I hope it takes precedence over the recent new orders...
  • Options
    I sent back a proof plat last week too, now don't I feel silly.image
  • Options
    I sent back a proof plat last week too, now don't I feel silly

I think we're still in the dark as to what's happening right now. It's possible that the Mint is taking the coins off market until Nov. 15, when they'll reopen (maybe at lower price) without return option.

I'd be really surprised if there was a major player who stepped in and purchased remaining stock... not knowing how many coins are available, and just guessing, I think we'd easily be talking about something over $12M.

Dan
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    That is amazing and shocking news.....

Kills me as far as new platinum proof coins.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

<< <i>

I think we're still in the dark as to what's happening right now. It's possible that the Mint is taking the coins off market until Nov. 15, when they'll reopen (maybe at lower price) without return option.

I'd be really surprised if there was a major player who stepped in and purchased remaining stock... not knowing how many coins are available, and just guessing, I think we'd easily be talking about something over $12M. >>

I don't think they have taken anything off of sale right now, it wouldn't make sense to do that when they want to sell out all the inventory. I just bet though they won't allow a couple of people to buy up all the remaining coins but will dispense them with limited amounts like 1 or 2 per option.

PS If the mint didn't see this order deluge coming they are wacko.image
  • Options
    That is amazing and shocking news.....

Kills me as far as new platinum proof coins.....

True. But now we can all stop trying to keep up with the latest offering (and worrying about how the next year's numbers will impact the existing keys). In addition, many of us who have been focused on keeping up with current offerings can turn our attention to completing sets.

The end of the fractional proofs and the end of w-uncirculated platinums is a big burden lifted, and will close off a lot of the variables that are in play each year for our hobby.
    Dan
  • Options
    I don't think they have taken anything off of sale right now, it wouldn't make sense to do that when they want to sell out all the inventory. I just bet though they won't allow a couple of people to buy up all the remaining coins but will dispense them with limited amounts like 1 or 2 per option.

That would make sense if they wanted to make sure all the fence-sitters got a final chance to get in. But that wouldn't fit what David Harper reported:

Mint Deputy Director Andrew D. Brunhart says of the clearance sale, “It will be limited time. First come, first served. No household limits. All sales will be final. If you’re wondering, we won’t exceed any Mint limits.”

The sale will conclude at 5 p.m. Dec. 19, but some products are likely to be gone well before then.

Dan
  • Options
    It that no household limit applies to bullion then they must be nuts, they didn't think people would sell these out without limits?
  • Options

Starting at 12:01 a.m. Nov. 15, the Mint will be offering hundreds of current and past products to collectors to clear out their two current fulfillment centers in preparation for moving to a new one in Plainfield, Ind.

Starting Nov, 15th? Are all the orders today worthless then or what? Is this as confusing as it sounds? Why Nov. 15th?

• Options

<< <i>I don't think they have taken anything off of sale right now, it wouldn't make sense to do that when they want to sell out all the inventory. I just bet though they won't allow a couple of people to buy up all the remaining coins but will dispense them with limited amounts like 1 or 2 per option.

That would make sense if they wanted to make sure all the fence-sitters got a final chance to get in. But that wouldn't fit what David Harper reported:

>>

I guess that leave the question.. When will the "sale" start? 12:01AM, Nov 15, is the latest info.
  • Options
    OK I think I have it figured out, they will be adding products to their website that aren't listed on Nov. 15th and that is what will be unlimited purchase. Everything up today is still on sale. They are closing out all the leftovers besides what we see today.
  • Options
    So what do we think is the biggest bang for one's buck? The fractional unc plats, the fractional unc buffaloes, the fractional proof plats, the fractional proof buffaloes or the spoons?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    This seems to indicate that no matter how many Proof plats sell now that they will definitely not be minting any more. So that mintages will be limited to items sold plus stock on hand (minus damaged or late returns).imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>So what do we think is the biggest bang for one's buck? The fractional unc plats, the fractional unc buffaloes, the fractional proof plats, the fractional proof buffaloes or the spoons? >>

The spoons, fer sher!

I just bought a couple of fractional unc buffs, because these are now commemoratives, and with a knock-out design. If you got the bucks, I'd go for the proof and unc plats, too.
  • Options

<< <i>So what do we think is the biggest bang for one's buck? The fractional unc plats, the fractional unc buffaloes, the fractional proof plats, the fractional proof buffaloes or the spoons? >>

#1 I SAY UNC PLATS
    #2 I SAY Proof Plats
    #3 I say Unc Buffs

all 4-coin sets.

Just my best guess.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file