Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    So, would you get all of the remaining fractionals? Proof or UNC?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you had to choose only one, would you purchase the UNC or Proof Buffalo set? >>

As a collector the one I liked the look of best image
  • Options
    I have the 2006 and 2007 Proof Buffaloes, so my inclination would be to continue with the proofs, but I haven't seen the UNCs in hand.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you had to choose only one, would you purchase the UNC or Proof Buffalo set?

I would choose the unc., for two reasons. Lower mintage, and I think they look more attractive. The rough surfaces of the mirror portion of the proofs detract from their overall appearance. They look fine on the uncs.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    I have the 2006 and 2007 Proof Buffaloes, so my inclination would be to continue with the proofs, but I haven't seen the UNCs in hand.

The UNC and the Proofs both look good to me. I like the $10s for the same reason most people like them (the size is very close to the Buffalo nickel). They both have their own appeal. The proof finish is very nice. On the other hand, UNC coins usually have lower mintages...
  • Options
    2008 plats and gold are back on sale, with some price changes.

• Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    The mint catalog is back up. Plats are cheaper now (at least the UNCs, I haven't look at the Proofs yet). Buffalos are up...
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Eric, I agree with your assessment that the Gold Buffaloes look great here, as well as APEs. I wish I had more money to put down on them, but I have reached my limit already. >>

Ozzy, put it on your credit card and wait for the bailout.image

Ren
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    It seems like a bunch of the prices have gone up? image
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Yes they have I'm glad I didn't wait for this sale and ordered Monday. I'm wondering if the smaller sizes that went up (1/10 and 1/4) are limited in supply and they only reduced the coins that they had many to sell on hand.
  • Options
    Here's what the Buff were on 11/10 when I ordered:

1. 2008 BUFF GLD PRF 1/10 OZ (BD8) Qty 1 @ $159.95 - In stock.
    2. 2008 BUFF GLD UNC MM 1/4 OZ (BX8) Qty 1 @ $289.95 - In stock.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    It looks like the mint has altered the prices to reflect more of the aftermarket value in these. I think this is a smart move by the mint as the 1/10 ounce were always too low and the prices for the larger sizes too high. The was shown by the 1/10 always selling out first.

I'm just glad I bought all my 1/10 before today. image
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the repricing is significant I will order what I have now within reason at a lower price send back my overpriced relics.

Ren >>

My 4-coin APE W unc went from $2,219.95 to $2,089.95...$130!

My 1/2 APE W unc went from $619.95 to 569.95...$50!

My 1/4 AGE W unc went from $295.95 to 287.45...$8.50.

And my 1/4 Buff proof went from $329.95 to 312.45...$17.50.

$206 in savings! Then minus the postage back to the Mint.

Ren
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

The drop in price for the 1/2-ounce plats both in proof and UNC was particularly steep! So why shouldn't I ship those all back now?
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like the mint has altered the prices to reflect more of the aftermarket value in these. I think this is a smart move by the mint as the 1/10 ounce were always too low and the prices for the larger sizes too high. The was shown by the 1/10 always selling out first.

I'm just glad I bought all my 1/10 before today. image >>

To me they were all too high, even the smaller sizes that's over 100% markup compared to the price of gold and plat.
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    The drop in price for the 1/2-ounce plats both in proof and UNC was particularly steep! So why shouldn't I ship those all back now?

I've called the Mint and have an inquiry regarding this. For now, the only way to get the lower price is to do a return/cancel and place a new order.
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>If you had to choose only one, would you purchase the UNC or Proof Buffalo set? >>

Just be aware that the 1/2 oz unc-W buffalo is also in the prosperity set. I've been trying to find sales figures for that set, but haven't seen any numbers.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

So...returning my couple of random plat proofs along with my two loose 1/2 ounce UNCS...and then picking up another 4-coin UNC plat set, with a spare refunded $200 back in my pocket...is suddenly starting to look better and better.

Now my head doesn't seem to hurt as much!
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    RichR

Good move. The 4 coin Plat-W set just went on backorder.
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just spoke to a Mint rep who informed me that orders placed earlier in the week that aren't shipped will have the price adjusted to the new prices.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It looks like the mint has altered the prices to reflect more of the aftermarket value in these. I think this is a smart move by the mint as the 1/10 ounce were always too low and the prices for the larger sizes too high. The was shown by the 1/10 always selling out first.

To me they were all too high, even the smaller sizes that's over 100% markup compared to the price of gold and plat. >>

I don't think it is 100% when you take into account costs of the products when manufactured. Also add in packaging, stocking and everything else and i don't think the mint is going to even break even this year on the bullion W coins. Their loss is our gain, but I hardly think the mint is overpricing when they took a bath on these coins IMO.
  • Options
    <<Good move. The 4 coin Plat-W set just went on backorder. >>

Uh oh...Backorder...as in not available anymore?!?
  • Options

<< <i>I just spoke to a Mint rep who informed me that orders placed earlier in the week that aren't shipped will have the price adjusted to the new prices. >>

As long as they don't adjust the prices up on older orders which I don't think they can legally do on the smaller coins. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

To me they were all too high, even the smaller sizes that's over 100% markup compared to the price of gold and plat. >>

I don't think it is 100% when you take into account costs of the products when manufactured. Also add in packaging, stocking and everything else and i don't think the mint is going to even break even this year on the bullion W coins. Their loss is our gain, but I hardly think the mint is overpricing when they took a bath on these coins IMO. >>

Okay I'm not a buyer at that level. Let's see 1/10 ounce buff proof $164 times 10 is equal to $1640 an ounce. Now gold is setting at $713 an ounce so 100% markup is $1426. Now 1640 - 1426 gives them $216 dollars above the 100% figure, more than enough to make double on their efforts IMO.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RichR

Good move. The 4 coin Plat-W set just went on backorder. >>

Does backorder mean that they will Mint another run or that they're done (except for returns which I'm sure they'll ship out to folks on backorder)?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>RichR

Does backorder mean that they will Mint another run or that they're done (except for returns which I'm sure they'll ship out to folks on backorder)? >>

In this case "backorder" means mostly gone except for whatever might be coming back on returns.
  • Options
    Okay I'm not a buyer at that level. Let's see 1/10 ounce buff proof $164 times 10 is equal to $1640 an ounce. Now gold is setting at $713 an ounce so 100% markup is $1426. Now 1640 - 1426 gives them $216 dollars above the 100% figure, more than enough to make double on their efforts IMO.

The 1/10 oz buffalo says $10. I don't think I should have to pay more than $10 for it.
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>RichR

Does backorder mean that they will Mint another run or that they're done (except for returns which I'm sure they'll ship out to folks on backorder)? >>

Usually that means they've sold them out and the BO is used to keep orders coming in so if some are returned you have a chance at those. It's a crap shoot if you ordered under the BO, I didn't get my coins the last time this happened to me just a changing delivery date for 2 or 3 months before the cancled notice.
  • Options
    The 4 coin Plat-W set just went on backorder.

the situation changes so rapidly, it's hard to keep up!

Dan
  • Options
    Also I canceled an existing order for 1 x 4 coin Gold Buff UNC and 1 x 4 coin Gold Buff PROOF, and re-ordered at the new lower price. I threw in a 4 coin APE UNC set too just for fun, and 10 x 1/10 oz Gold Buff PROOF singles.

WHAT THE HELL! LET's GAMBLE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't think it is 100% when you take into account costs of the products when manufactured. Also add in packaging, stocking and everything else and i don't think the mint is going to even break even this year on the bullion W coins. Their loss is our gain, but I hardly think the mint is overpricing when they took a bath on these coins IMO. >>

Okay I'm not a buyer at that level. Let's see 1/10 ounce buff proof $164 times 10 is equal to $1640 an ounce. Now gold is setting at $713 an ounce so 100% markup is $1426. Now 1640 - 1426 gives them $216 dollars above the 100% figure, more than enough to make double on their efforts IMO. >>

This is true, however you have to consider the one ounce and half ounce are selling for close to what gold prices peaked at this year, so the margins are much smaller in the larger sizes. This is why I said it was smart to raise prices on the smaller coins for the mint, as it will increases margins and make up for losses in other areas. Since the 1/10 sold out first in past years I still think that is an indication that prices were too low IMO, maybe not low enough for some but still from a business perspective it was too low for the mint.

Also while some may not like the prices today other will still buy and it will sell out guaranteed, so they will make the extra profit margin regardless. As a one year issue the 1/10 and 1/4 will do well IMO as it will be the entry point for gold buffalos and this is the only year to buy them. Also as Eric pointed out even the silver buffalo sells for more than these gold coins image
  • Options
    OK...I'm on backorder for another 4-coin plat UNC set...maybe I'll get "lucky" and snag a return. And to subsidize the new purchase (assuming I get it) the proof plats go back to the Mint.

As the UNC plats seem to be disappearing fast, I might just hold onto my [overpriced] 1/2 ouncers.

AND...AND...AND...the 30-day return policy is still in effect as of right now. I guess that insn't going to change until tomorrow PM?!?
  • Options
    Also while some may not like the prices today other will still buy and it will sell out guaranteed, so they will make the extra profit margin regardless. As a one year issue the 1/10 and 1/4 will do well IMO as it will be the entry point for gold buffalos and this is the only year to buy them. Also as Eric pointed out even the silver buffalo sells for more than these gold coins image >>

Will there in fact be mass marketed "Buffalo Type Sets"?

YOU BETCHA!

• Options
    I agree. I think the 1/10th oz Gold Buffalo Proofs are the play here, as well as are the APE UNC 4 coin sets if you are lucky enough to get one.
  • Options
    I think if your a collector you'll do fine but for the flippers in this ecomony they'll be screwed on the quick flip. This isn't 2006 and people are buying what they need now not what they want to have. By the time these come and you could list them the Christmas rush for gifts will be over and you won't have time to deliever them, which is the only chance to make money. JMO

A more sure way to stay afloat is to pay off your bills and have 3 to 6 months cash on hand. Unemployement is going though the roof in 09 I feel.
  • Options

The 1/10 oz buffalo says $10. I don't think I should have to pay more than $10 for it.

Actually the 1/10 oz buffalo says $5. But to allow for future inflation I don't think I should pay more than $1 for it! image

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Keeping with the theme of the OP, and given all the attention to the Plat's and Gold lets have some discussion on the 08 w silver eagles. For 1, their relatively inexpensive and currently if sales stopped today the new king in the silver eagle series. There were 250,000 06 w ase's in the anniv sets, + 220,000 singles for somewhere around 470,000. Taking the current ASE sales figure 401,658, less the 46,318 08/07's, equals 355,340. I doubt their gonna sell another 115,000 ASE before they pull the plug....

Edit: Forgot to figure the annual dollar sets, last #I have for those approx 25,000, So they would need combined sales on both products to reach 90,000 to pass the 06 ase's...
  • Options

<< <i>Keeping with the theme of the OP, and given all the attention to the Plat's and Gold lets have some discussion on the 08 w silver eagles. For 1, their relatively inexpensive and currently if sales stopped today the new king in the silver eagle series. There were 250,000 06 w ase's in the anniv sets, + 220,000 singles for somewhere around 470,000. Taking the current ASE sales figure 401,658, less the 46,318 08/07's, equals 355,340. I doubt their gonna sell another 115,000 ASE before they pull the plug.... >>

Good comment .......and they are cheap!
  • Options

<< <i>Keeping with the theme of the OP, and given all the attention to the Plat's and Gold lets have some discussion on the 08 w silver eagles. For 1, their relatively inexpensive and currently if sales stopped today the new king in the silver eagle series. There were 250,000 06 w ase's in the anniv sets, + 220,000 singles for somewhere around 470,000. Taking the current ASE sales figure 401,658, less the 46,318 08/07's, equals 355,340. I doubt their gonna sell another 115,000 ASE before they pull the plug.... >>

Don`t forget the presidential dollars & silver eagle sets ???? they will add to the over all total. image
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also while some may not like the prices today other will still buy and it will sell out guaranteed, so they will make the extra profit margin regardless. As a one year issue the 1/10 and 1/4 will do well IMO as it will be the entry point for gold buffalos and this is the only year to buy them. Also as Eric pointed out even the silver buffalo sells for more than these gold coins image >>

Will there in fact be mass marketed "Buffalo Type Sets"?

YOU BETCHA!

image >>

I think the 4-coin set of gold buffs would be awesome, but I think I'll wait three or four years and then trade a platinum set for 2 or

3 buffalo sets. That's my guess/hope anyway.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Might have to pick up one of those 08-W so I have a 2nd one.....

Interesting.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    no further deals on 08-w plats
  • Options

<< <i>no further deals on 08-w plats >>

What do you mean?
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>

What do you mean? >>

Think he means no farther price reductions.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What do you mean? >>

Think he means no farther price reductions. >>

Thanks!
  • Options
    Guys -

IN MY OPINION,

The 2008 UNC-W plats will be the lowest mintage W plats for the three year run.

The $25 1/4 oz unc plat sales figure has been severely distorted - has to be problems with order taking in excess of available stock.

As EricJ and others have stated "the USM has NEVER produced a 1/4 oz unc plat in single issue format in excess of 1250 coins". 2007-W unc 1/4 oz = 1228 coins single issue. 2006-w 1/4 oz = ~650 coins single issue.

Sit back and think a while about it.

In a year where the raw material (platinum planchets) had increased 80% over 2007, and the retail price skyrocketed to the consumer, for a "minted to demand" product - we should believe they minted ~2115 coins? NONSENSE!

If the USM ran even 80% of last years run, or ~1000 coins as initial stock, that's a stretch given the market conditions.

After the abmismal sales in July of these unc-w's, and sitting on ~900 coins of the 1/4 oz (if they went with 1000 initial production) - they were in NO POSITION to get those mint presses humming again, there was literally NO DEMAND.

The USM stated upon the return of sales of the UNC APE's in October that the "Remaining Stock would be sold" further evidence is the new release of info that the APE fractional program is dead and the 1 oz only survives into 2009 in PROOF format. No more APE's in UNC-W.

So when the 1/4 oz UNC-W went "dark" on Oct 21st around 5pm EST, we had a sales report on that date of approx 615 coins sold.

The next week, we had a sales figure that increased to 2115. 1500 more coins after backorder status. A joke.

I personally know of several 50+ coin orders placed the evening of the 21st still not filled. IMO, they never will be filled.

To sum it up, again - ONLY MY OPINION, given the above developments, I believe the USM struck no more than 1000 1/4 oz coins in single issue format. Soon, all those orders taken (1100+) will be cancelled.

The only hope for those on backorder is that they placed relatively early on the evening of Oct 21st, and their orders are being filled by RETURNS, for those who are either picking through for the best coins or returned because they went in too deep / highly leveraged and cant hold any longer.

• Options
    The 2008 UNC-W plats will be the lowest mintage W plats for the three year run.

The $10 sales figures are 3,761. 2006-w $10 is 3,544. So it would seem 2006 holds on for the $10s.

The $25 1/4 oz unc plat sales figure has been severely distorted - has to be problems with order taking in excess of available stock.

As EricJ and others have stated "the USM has NEVER produced a 1/4 oz unc plat in single issue format in excess of 1250 coins". 2007-W unc 1/4 oz = 1228 coins single issue. 2006-w 1/4 oz = ~650 coins single issue.

Sit back and think a while about it.

The argument makes sense to a point, but historically the $25s have always outsold the $50s.

So logically, it would be surprising to see the $25 individual numbers be lower than the $50s.

Right now, $50 sales are at 849 and they are still available. 2008 sets went backorder - I believe- after the last sales figures were provided.

Assuming we aren't questioning the sales numbers for the $50s or sets, those are at 2,106 right now (840+1257).

2006-w numbers on $50s were 2,577, and on $25s are 2,676.

So $50s are about 500 coins away right now. Depending on what the final set figures are at, and when sellout for the individual $50s happens, it will certainly be close. If sets jump to 1500 and $50s close out at 1,000, 2008 wins. If $50s go to 1250, 2006 wins.

We're in a situation where it's too close to predict. Either way, people with 2008s should be very happy.

Dan
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    It's very strange that the remaining 12,000 anniversary sets haven't reappeared. I am starting to believe that they were either melted or never produced.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    NYC -

Production of $25's and $50's has been almost on the money - but SALES of $50's tends to be just smaller than the $25's.

My argument is that there was initial production of the $25's and $50's of the exact same amount - 1000 coins.

4 coins sets - 1250.

Depending on demand of the $25's over $50's and outright damaged goods returns - I would gamble that the $25's come in just over the $50's this year, no more than 100 coins over.

As for the $10's, my opinion is that the final numbers will come in at 2000-2100 single issue, 3250-3350 final. Again, just like the $25's but to a far lesser extent - 500 coins sold after sellout announced. Doesnt sit well with me.

I dont have an opinion of the big $100 coin.

The three fractionals will come in lower than 06-w counterparts. To borrow the words of another, Welcome the New Kings of the Series.
  • Options
    I agree. These could very well be the new keys, but who will make the market for them when nobody is left with a job?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file