Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is too early in the year for the Mint not to consider minting more of the 2013 gold. Of course, since this is the US Mint we are talking about, anything is possible. But more likely than not, IMO, there will be more minted.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having only been out for approx. 6 weeks I think that it is very unlikely that the 2013 W $50 AGE Unc is done. There is certainly no run on these on FeeBay as is usually the case when a low mintage issue goes dark - yet another indication that people don't think that it's done. Of course, as others have said, who knows. If that was it (very doubtful I think) it would beat the '12 W substantially. Anyway, not selling my 12 Ws right now to be sure. Will be fun to watch.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    It may also mean they're gearing toward 2013 Reverse Proof Buffalo "mint to demand" campaign?

Or to feed the conspiracy theories from PM forum image there is a shortage of 1 oz blanks to mint these? Keep in mind they are not mandated to satisfy demand for these "collector" items but may need to concentrate on "bullion" AGEs

It will certainly be fun to watch
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It may also mean they're gearing toward 2013 Reverse Proof Buffalo "mint to demand" campaign?

Or to feed the conspiracy theories from PM forum image there is a shortage of 1 oz blanks to mint these? Keep in mind they are not mandated to satisfy demand for these "collector" items but may need to concentrate on "bullion" AGEs

It will certainly be fun to watch >>

FYI...The Mint geared up and started producing the rev. proof buff almost a month ago. Should have ample supply available when sales commence in August. No shortage of gold blanks this year
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    From another forum:

"To indulge in some over-analysis/wishful thinking, the last example of mint 2nd-striking occurred in Sept. 2010 when the Buchanan unc. spouse went on sale 9/2 and went red 9/17 or 9/18. I've long theorized the mint will strike as few coins in a given series as they can to fulfill demand without pi$$ing customers off, and in buchanans case, they might've felt with the pace of sales, 2 weeks wasn't long enough to offer the coin without getting flack. So they struck about 1700 more.
    The $50 2013 unc. A.G.E. has been offered for 7 weeks, is that long enough to allay customer wrath? Maybe not, but did folks pitch a fit when they suddenly stopped sales of the 2012's last year at 20 weeks and 6000 sold? Not so much."
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, the 2013-P White Mountain 5-oz. silver quarter went backorder at 15,000 last month. It is now available from the Mint again.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "the last example of mint 2nd-striking occurred in Sept. 2010"

Didn't the mint have a second striking of the 2011-W $50 Burnished Gold when they ended up with just shy of 9,000 total coins sold? Interesting that here the number is roughly half of that 9,000 at around 4,500 sold with the backorder sign going up.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    FYI - Backorder date is gone for 2013-W Uncirclulated
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some yahoo evidently ordered about 500 of the 4-coin Proof AGE sets last week.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>FYI - Backorder date is gone for 2013-W Uncirclulated >>

Wow. That was fast.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Okay what about these: I think in First Strike they may be the keys to the series. >>

Key coins have nothing to do with labels, its all about the coin. First Strike label, just like a higher grade, will add dollars to the price of a key coin. Modern key coins within a series are generally determined by mintage numbers whether the coin is graded or ungraded. One exception to mintage numbers would be the $5 and $10 1999-W unc AGEs, mintages unkown.

Some good links to modern mintages that are worth saving in your favorites:

AGE mintages

ASE mintages

APE mintages

Gold buffalo mintages

Modern commemorative mintages

First spouse mintages

<< <i>The 2012 W $50 Burnished final mintage was, I believe, 6118. This is still pretty early for the 2013. It would seem that the 13 W will come in higher based on these numbers. >>

What could affect remaining sales of the 2013 W AGE:
    Dollars redirected to plat proofs and upcoming buff reverese proofs
    A decision by the big players to make another large purchase
    A sudden shortage of gold at the mint (has happened before)

Otherwise, the mint most likely struck enough of the 2013 W's to exceed 2012 W sales and they are just sitting on the shelf. What happens to them will determine the outcome. Normally the mint will just sell them until gone, but slow sales and a need for gold to meet other coin demand could result in an early end to sales and the melting pot for what's on the shelf.

In any event they will be among the lowest mintages, so they are probably not a bad play. Odds are there that they could be a homerun, downside on an investment in them is minimal. The downside threat is a continued decline in gold spot. >>

ttt
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>"the last example of mint 2nd-striking occurred in Sept. 2010"

Didn't the mint have a second striking of the 2011-W $50 Burnished Gold when they ended up with just shy of 9,000 total coins sold? Interesting that here the number is roughly half of that 9,000 at around 4,500 sold with the backorder sign going up.

Wondercoin >>

I went back and checked and your recollection is correct. The 2011 went red in the last days of Sept. of that year at about 6000 coins sold to date.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some yahoo evidently ordered about 500 of the 4-coin Proof AGE sets last week. >>

Sorry - I will return them ASAP!
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    Here's another low mintage platinum first strike to keep track of:

Link

Seems like 2006 sells for more than 2008, even though 2008 in first strike is the lowest pop. For example 282 of the 2006, and only 67 of the 2008.

So it seems total mintage plays a bigger role 3,544 versus 3706.

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    Even stranger. These 2008-w platinums:

$50 half ounce

$100 1 ounce

With pops of just 51 and 39 respectively, why are these not the keys versus the 2006 series, which has higher First Strike populations by far?
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Frist Strike isn't what define a "Key," it is the mintage or the number in the highest grade.

By the way, Mr Rebate hasn't offered a 3% rebate on eBay purchases in over a year or more. Ebay cut them off!
  • Options

<< <i>Here's another low mintage platinum first strike to keep track of:

Link

Seems like 2006 sells for more than 2008, even though 2008 in first strike is the lowest pop. For example 282 of the 2006, and only 67 of the 2008.

So it seems total mintage plays a bigger role 3,544 versus 3706. >>

The mintages above are for the $10 plat, the coin in the link is the $25 plat, which has a lower mintage for the 2008 than for the 2006.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    don't confuse mintage (number released by the mint) with population (number for a given grade/special label by a given TPG). And, don't forget there is always a competing reputable TPG with its own population report for the same coin/grade/special label.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Any update on sales numbers for the 2013 W $50 Burnished AGE?
  • Options
    Did anyone notice this at the time? It's just Nuts!
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I apologize if I offend anyone with this spam, but I'd greatly appreciate some help with this auction that ends Sunday night:

2004-W $10 APE

THANKS
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    I met with and spoke with Eric Jordan (the original poster of this long running thread) this week at the ANA Show in Chicago.
    Eric is alive and well. He said that he was burnt out from writing and taking a breather form writing and working on other items.

Although we discussed some of the analysis from his book and the great numismatic year of 2008,
    there were no predictions even though he continues to watch the market.
  • Options
    Problem with the plats is only the keys get attention. The rest seem to be going for close to melt.

These 2 auctions failed to gets bids until the spot price moved over their melt value. And they are PCGS graded 70's!!

1998 PR70DCAM

2007 PR70DCAM
  • Options
    Plats will have their day. It's a cool series, even if the fractionals are gone for the time being.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    But why would the fractionals going for so close to melt, when the mint sells them for a much larger premium?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But why would the fractionals going for so close to melt, when the mint sells them for a much larger premium? >>

Economics 101...Supply & Demand. NO Demand for the Plats in the aftermarket and a small collector base, although their designs are top quality.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    The only plats I have are the 2006-2008 1/10 in proof and ms. And $50, $25 of the 08s. I sold off the rest of my platinum this year.
  • Options
    If the remaining 7 2012 gold First Spouse coins do not sell out by end of Dec. will mint pull them or will they roll to 2014??

Certainly this glacial sales rate must have the mint wondering how many of the 2013s to strike................
  • Options
    They will sell them into next year.
  • Options

<< <i>They will sell them into next year. >>

If that's the case the mint struck too many 2012's and will apply what they learned and strike fewer of the 2013's. Ja oder nein?
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't believe you will see the mint sell the 2012 coins into 2014. Hello, melting pot.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Proof Gold Buffalo is red at mint website.
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    So, does this mean that the regular Proof Buffalo is selling out, and will have a mintage in the 15,000 range and be the new key to the series, or will they mint more?

SHOULD I TRY TO BUY A BUNCH TODAY, OR NOT!?!
  • Options
    Today is Sept. 13th, and it's a bit early to shelve sales of the current year's Gold Buffalo Proof, in my opinion. If it were October 13th, then I might say maybe.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    OK. I've just seen ships sail before, and right now you can buy a PCGS FS PR70 of this coin for about $2,000.

If sales are done at this level, that will be a bargain, especially given the popularity of the Reverse Proof and possible demand for a 2013 set of the pair.

I'll calm down, though.........
  • Options
    There's only one way to find out for sure.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Proof Gold Buffalo is red at mint website. >>

Since the red does not say "Sold Out," they are temporarily unavailable. They are reloading the press.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Leave it to ebay sellers to do this:

PCGS 2013-W PR69DCAM Proof American Gold Buffalo - 1oz - First Strike - rare
    U.S. Mint lists this coin as "BACKORDERED" ~ sell out?

Wants $3800 for it...
  • Options
    With Gold price dropping this week everything at the mint will be cheaper next week. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2013 2 Coin Set in silver with a population of over 281,000

2013 Reverse Proof Gold Buffalo with a population just under 48,000

2013 American Eagle One Ounce Proof with a limit of 40,000 max across all options

2013 American Eagle One Ounce Unc with undetermined mintage number. No limit

2013 American Eagle One Ounce Platinum Proof Coin with mintage of 15,000. No household ordering limit.

Whoever thinks we don't have choices is probably not making any choices.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you imagine how nice it would have been for the mint to issue a three coin Buffalo 1/4 oz set in rev. proof, regular proof and ordinary matte unc.?
    That would have been very nice & think the larger size buffalos, let alone the rev. proof are just that - too large. Also the 1/4 oz size closer to Frazier's original.

For what it's worth, and nobody asked, my favorite buffalo of all is the '08W 1/4 oz. unc....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>For what it's worth, and nobody asked, my favorite buffalo of all is the '08W 1/4 oz. unc.... >>

Also, I saw a 2013 reverse proof buffalo yesterday, not particularly attractive IMO.

• Options
    IMO whether the 2013 proof Buffalo sells out at 15K or 20K in the longer term it may be a better play than a 40K+ reverse proof.
  • Options
    So great to see this - my favorite of all threads - pop up occasionally.

I so miss ericj96's input. I hope that he comes back sometime.

On another subject....

I was just reading the CW article on delays in shipping the ASE West Point sets due to delays in obtaining the packaging.

It would be great if the Mint offered an option to purchase coins without the very nice, very expensive OGP which many who grade coins don't want. Of course, this option should be offered at a lower price which would be reflective of the savings on the OGP. This would avoid waste, decrease costs and allow for faster shipping to everyone.

When one subscribes to some RCM sets the OGP for the whole set is oftern shipped first and the rest of the coins are shipped in capsules. The U.S. Mint could clearly just ship in capsules to those who don't want the OGP.

Another thing that the Mint could learn from the RCM and Perth Mints is the art of packaging. RCM and Perth have make packaging numismatic items an art form. I have never received any coins from either Mint that were not extremely well packaged. Of only the U.S. Mint would take lessons...
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would be great if the Mint offered an option to purchase coins without the very nice, very expensive OGP which many who grade coins don't want. >>

The Mint did exactly that back around 2001. I ordered the CVC commems in capsules only, without the bulky packaging, at a reduced price. Each capsule was in a small envelope with the certificate of authenticity. Apparently this wasn't a popular option, and was soon discontinued.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    "I so miss ericj96's input. I hope that he comes back sometime."

I'll see if I can wake Eric up....

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options

<< <i>"I so miss ericj96's input. I hope that he comes back sometime."

I'll see if I can wake Eric up....

John >>

Thanks very much! Would b great.
  • Options
    ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    But be gentle, you know how grouchy he can be image
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the mint is having problems with the 2013 gold spouse coins. Perhaps a repeat of the 2011 mintages. I would watch the uncirculated versions next year when these will probably go red.2013 Gold Spouse Production Problems

Seems that the presses are causing a bottle capping effect. Be nice if few would escape the mint, but doubt it.

Though the low mintage 2011's seem to have dropped in price from their highs a lot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file