Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question about the '08 W plats for the gang...

I was thinking about selling a set of PCGS 70 Proofs or Uncs (have a couple of both).

It seems to me that they may be pretty much fully valued (numismatic premium, spot varies of course). This also assumes that they don't do more fractionals/that the "08 Ws remain keys.

I'd love to know what some of you think?

The '08 W plats are fully valued or still more numismatic room to go?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << The '08 W plats are fully valued or still more numismatic room to go? >>

I don't think the '08 W plats are fully valued, but due to recent competition they are not nearly as attractive in terms of price as they were a few years ago.

In particular, mintages of certain recent First Spouse gold issues are as low as the lowest mintage platinum eagle. The uncirculated 2011 Lucy Hayes and Lucretia Garfield both have likely final mintages around 2200. Even though the First Spouse series is one of the least popular numismatic offerings in history, the fact that it is gold makes it more "legitimate" in the eyes of most collectors than any platinum series.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In particular, mintages of certain recent First Spouse gold issues are as low as the lowest mintage platinum eagle. >>

The plats with changing reverse will always be more sought after than the ugly spouses. The spouse series is one of the least popular series in a long time. The only interest in it are from flippers, trying to peddle the latest "lowest" mintage, only to be dethroned by the next issue.

• Options
    Thanks for your thoughts.

I never really though of the plats competing with other, non-related series but it's an interesting thought.

Really can't decide whether to sell a set of PCGS 70 Proof plats or not. They seem to have been bringing fantastic $ lately. Tough decision. Anyone else think that they have more room to go numismatically - or not?

Thanks!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes, save 'em all. That's what I end up doing; I really hated selling an '89CC dollar but needed the money. I just like to have boxes and boxes of sh--, old, new, gold, silver, plat, whatever. Absolutely scandalous, this collecting thing.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes, save 'em all. That's what I end up doing; I really hated selling an '89CC dollar but needed the money. I just like to have boxes and boxes of sh--, old, new, gold, silver, plat, whatever. Absolutely scandalous, this collecting thing.

Bingo!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Really can't decide whether to sell a set of PCGS 70 Proof plats or not. They seem to have been bringing fantastic $ lately. Tough decision. Anyone else think that they have more room to go numismatically - or not?

They're rare coins. Nice ones. End of story.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    "The Mint, one of the world's largest gold and silver coin producers, may resume making platinum bullion coins after receiving requests from dealers, he said. It stopped making the coins in 2008 due to low demand."

Plats are back?!?!?!
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    That would be great if they restarted Platimum fractionals.

After all since then they are allowed in PM IRAs and why not to have them as an option instead of the only 1 oz that is quite expensive
  • Options
    CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    Well it looks like the ASE set will be about 250K or so. I wonder what they will sell for once the mint starts shipping?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well it looks like the ASE set will be about 250K or so. I wonder what they will sell for once the mint starts shipping?

image >>

based on graded pre-sell prices I suspect a lot of these sets will be returned to the mint. Final sales number after returns will be interesting.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well it looks like the ASE set will be about 250K or so. I wonder what they will sell for once the mint starts shipping?

image >>

based on graded pre-sell prices I suspect a lot of these sets will be returned to the mint. Final sales number after returns will be interesting. >>

• Options
    I wonder what happens to the returned sets that are "minted to demand" and then no longer available for sale?
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder what happens to the returned sets that are "minted to demand" and then no longer available for sale? >>

Why do you think the shipments are way out into Sept? Early returns get sent out to the late comers and returns from them get melted.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"The Mint, one of the world's largest gold and silver coin producers, may resume making platinum bullion coins after receiving requests from dealers, he said. It stopped making the coins in 2008 due to low demand."

Plats are back?!?!?! >>

I have serious doubts, unless the spread between spot & Mint price is minimal, that the low demand will not change.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"The Mint, one of the world's largest gold and silver coin producers, may resume making platinum bullion coins after receiving requests from dealers, he said. It stopped making the coins in 2008 due to low demand."

Plats are back?!?!?! >>

I have serious doubts, unless the spread between spot & Mint price is minimal, that the low demand will not change. >>

Why is there a small Panda pic associated with this non-story story?
  • Options
    $1725 for the 2013 W AGE Unc.

The key ?: Will it come in lower than the 2012? What say you?

I think that the '12 will remain king with cheaper gold.

However, with the RP buff this year, $ may be tighter.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$1725 for the 2013 W AGE Unc.

However, with the RP buff this year, $ may be tighter. >>

Been a dry spell with new high dollar stuff. Mass marketers will probably be all over these. I believe the '12 will retain title.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    When the 2012 First Spouse Coins went on sale late last year, I
    thought to myself the Mint likely only made about 2,500 of each unc..
    With Alice Paul at 2,471 sold, they should soon go dark if I am right!
    If mintages go over 2,500 coins there are probably 3K of each available.

• Options
    alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Could some one please provide the 2013 Proof Platinum Eagle image (proposed and/or accepted). Thanks!
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2013 AGE Burnished just debuted with 1,448 coins sold. The 2012 last year opened it's first week with sales of 1,949. Full credit goes to Coin News Update for the data.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    2013 plats not yet announced

(l8-)>>

• Options

<< <i>The 2013 AGE Burnished just debuted with 1,448 coins sold. The 2012 last year opened it's first week with sales of 1,949. Full credit goes to Coin News Update for the data. >>

Wow. Will there be a new king?

This is an expensive coin to gamble on.
  • Options

<< <i>2013 plats not yet announced >>

I like them both - esp. the one on the right.

Kinda reminds me of the Educational Series on notes which I just love.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I might go for that one as well even though I gave up on plats with the demise of fractionals after 2008.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>The 2013 AGE Burnished just debuted with 1,448 coins sold. The 2012 last year opened it's first week with sales of 1,949. Full credit goes to Coin News Update for the data. >>

And the article also indicated buyers may be waiting for an expected price drop...Next weeks report should be interesting...
  • Options

<< <i>When the 2012 First Spouse Coins went on sale late last year, I

image >>

I am some what surprised how slow the 2012 FS have been to sell out.

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Wow. Will there be a new king?

This is an expensive coin to gamble on. >>

I don't know if it is just my attitude changing but I am finding a $350 (+/-) premium above the value of the metal a harder thing to swallow these days, especially with gold in a general downdraft. You do not even get fancy packaging.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Kinda reminds me of the Educational Series on notes which I just love. >>

I like the one on the left, it's a little less busy and Liberty really stands out, but I agree with you on loving the educational series of banknotes. I have them on my numismatic bucket list.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Kinda reminds me of the Educational Series on notes which I just love. >>

I like the one on the left, it's a little less busy and Liberty really stands out, but I agree with you on loving the educational series of banknotes. I have them on my numismatic bucket list. >>

A few years ago I sucked it up and laid out the $ for a set of the Educational notes. My prize is an AU58 PPQ $5 ED - I go to my SDB every couple of months just to see it. By far, it gives me the most "pleasure of ownership" of any of my numismatic holdings.

The last time that I viewed it I showed it to the manager of the branch of my bank where my SDB is. He had never seen one. He really enjoyed it. Was very cool to share the note and to see his reaction.

I sure wish that Great Grandma had saved a few...
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

I am some what surprised how slow the 2012 FS have been to sell out. >>

I am surprised also, Sales will pick up if Alice Paul goes dark soon.
    If Alice Paul crosses 2,500 non of them my sell out, the mint will have to
    Fire up the melting Pot.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    The FS series has become painful for me to look at. They need to do something to stir up interest. I am tired of Alice Paul's scowl.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>$1725 for the 2013 W AGE Unc.

However, with the RP buff this year, $ may be tighter. >>

Been a dry spell with new high dollar stuff. Mass marketers will probably be all over these. I believe the '12 will retain title. >>

The 2013 W AGE Unc. pricing has now been adjusted downward dropping to $1,675. As suggested in the coin/news/update maybe the buyers were waiting for the drop. Next weeks sales report should interesting.
  • Options
    edgar, thanks for providing link for the 2013 Platinum Eagle images proposed! I prefer the image on the left (AEP-R-02) as there is less distraction from the beautiful Liberty. Al
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

I am some what surprised how slow the 2012 FS have been to sell out. >>

Combination of slow economy, 25% premium above melt, series fatigue, relatively unknown first ladies, and unknown number struck.

When the first one sells out (probably Alice Paul), purchases of the others will likely pick up as their final mintages are likely to be similar.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    << The 2013 AGE Burnished just debuted with 1,448 coins sold. The 2012 last year opened it's first week with sales of 1,949. Full credit goes to Coin News Update for the data. >>

And the article also indicated buyers may be waiting for an expected price drop...Next weeks report should be interesting...

There were several folks here reporting poor quality and they stated their intentions to return their orders. Nice going, Mint. Now the question is whether or not people will keep returning the returns until some good coins show up.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i><< The 2013 AGE Burnished just debuted with 1,448 coins sold. The 2012 last year opened it's first week with sales of 1,949. Full credit goes to Coin News Update for the data. >>

There were several folks here reporting poor quality and they stated their intentions to return their orders. Nice going, Mint. Now the question is whether or not people will keep returning the returns until some good coins show up. >>

I think with falling gold prices, US Mint sales should pick up now. Previous years low mintage key coins in Gold and Silver Eagles, Buffalo`s, and Commemoratives may end up the keys now that precious metals are in decline.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< The 2013 AGE Burnished just debuted with 1,448 coins sold. The 2012 last year opened it's first week with sales of 1,949. Full credit goes to Coin News Update for the data. >>

There were several folks here reporting poor quality and they stated their intentions to return their orders. Nice going, Mint. Now the question is whether or not people will keep returning the returns until some good coins show up. >>

I think with falling gold prices, US Mint sales should pick up now. Previous years low mintage key coins in Gold and Silver Eagles, Buffalo`s, and Commemoratives may end up the keys now that precious metals are in decline. >>

I agree (and hope that you're right).
  • Options
    Please help!

I like the 2001 Silver Proof Buffalos. I have been shopping and found several PCGS PR69DCAM at eBay, SilverTowne, etc., for about $180. Is this a reasonable price or can someone recommend a price and another source? Thanks! Al
  • Options
    What's the latest on the 2013 W AGE Unc mintage (esp. vs. the 12's)? Have been out of the loop for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    6-25 sales report on 13w ms AGE was an additional 384 , bringing total sales to 3084
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't wait to see what 2014 holds in store for us all!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>6-25 sales report on 13w ms AGE was an additional 384 , bringing total sales to 3084 >>

Thanks!

Anyone know how this compares to where the 12 was about the same amount of time after its release?
  • Options

I think with falling gold prices, US Mint sales should pick up now. Previous years low mintage key coins in Gold and Silver Eagles, Buffalo`s, and Commemoratives may end up the keys now that precious metals are in decline. >>

The sky high materials prices we have been seeing over the last several years have suppressed collector demand. It may be that the last couple years and this year and maybe next will be the bottom for mintages. I think there is a significant chance that this is the mid-late 90s commems all over again.

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully these last few years of high prices didn't permanently damage collector base.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>6-25 sales report on 13w ms AGE was an additional 384 , bringing total sales to 3084 >>

Thanks!

Anyone know how this compares to where the 12 was about the same amount of time after its release? >>

3 weeks in:

2012W 3,895
    vs.
    2013W 3,084

So the 13W is lagging behind but given the rapid decline in Gold this is to be expected to a degree. I expect sales should pick up but that means they will decline even furtherimage
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hopefully these last few years of high prices didn't permanently damage collector base. >>

My guess is that a lot of things have permanently damaged the collector base including high prices, weak Mint products, and video games. It would help a lot if the Mint were given a more free reign to develop the best products artists and designers are capable of, without Congressional interference. At least, I THINK that would help. My feeling, though, is that we're almost back to Square One in developing coin collecting as a hobby for young people.

Note: I speak to school groups a lot, and while most people know about the State Quarters series, almost NO ONE has heard of the America The Beautiful series. That says a lot about what's going on.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

<< <i>My guess is that a lot of things have permanently damaged the collector base including high prices, weak Mint products, and video games >>

I agree. Personally, I believe kids now days have so many other activities that compete for their attention (& $$$) and to them, coin collecting is rather dull or boring. I know I tried to get both my boys interested in collecting since they were very young yet neither picked up the torch. Further, none of their friend collect. My youngest (21) like the making money flipping idea but as for collecting, he is not interested.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen anyone mention this but it looks like the Paul proof spouse coin is backordered so should be a sell out at 3500. This is a new low but the other three are probably lower.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file