Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There has been significant demand from wholesalers and marketers for the 2012 Proof Gold Eagles that I have seen so far. I have 1 set in hand and a bunch on order that I am hoping gets filled by the mint, but I won't know for a while. That said, if anyone has any information on people holding a number of these sets, I would be interested in knowing where I could get my greasy hands on a few.

And I have MANY MANY references image

Whoever brought up the 2012w $50 gold eagles is dead on. That coins long term potential I believe is moon money. I ordered and have none of those and still am kicking myself for missing that one!!! Mitch --- I was wrong on those buddy!!!

I do appreciate the discussions we have on this forum and want every to know that my statements are made in good fun and humor!!! >>

Of course, the '13 W $50 AGE Unc may come in lower still.

I thought that the 11 W would not be beat. I'm glad that I took the chance and bought a couple of MS70FS '12Ws right out of the gate.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    I re-read some of the earlier posts in the past few months. Although there were no big winners like in 2008 and with the huge number of mint issues, there seems to be some (not necessarily in other of potential).

Potential Winners?
    1. 2012-W $50 AGE Burnished (low mintage)
    2. 2012-S Quarter bags and rolls (first S-mint circulating in a while)
    3. 2012-W Star Spangled Banner $5 mint state (3rd lowest $5 gold commemorative)
    4. 2012-W Buffalo Proof (low mintage)
    5. 2012-W Platinum Proof PR70 (low population)
    6. 2012-W 4pc AGE Proof Set (low sales compared to prior years)

Still Unknown?
    1. 2012-W First Spouses (which of four issues?)
    2. ???

Any others that I missed?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. 2012-W $50 AGE Burnished (low mintage)

5. 2012-W Platinum Proof PR70 (low population)

I would call these big winners already.

Some of the ones you mentioned do have potential in my opinion.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Any others that I missed? >>

2012-P five-ounce silver quarters. Hawai'i sold out a few weeks ago at under 15K mintage, now bringing around $600 each on eBay. The others are still available from the Mint at $229, although Acadia just went to backorder status.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Acadia just went to backorder status

Sold out now.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and selling for over $400 now...

What's next to sell out? This is very interesting, and unusual to watch a combustible sellout occur somewhat predictably.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Denali-P 5 Oz is in backordered status now too -- won't last long. New thread started in honor, if interested.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭
    5 oz El Yunque is currently on backorder status:

"Product will be available for shipping 03/16/2013."
  • Options
    JoflaxJoflax Posts: 979
    Does anyone have any idea what the mint sales of the 2012 platinum proof are?
    I s it a buy?
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone have any idea what the mint sales of the 2012 platinum proof are?
    I s it a buy? >>

From March7 here
    2012 Proof Platinum Eagle
    Old Sales 8,839 Latest Sales 8,876 Gain/Loss 37 %Increase 0.42%
  • Options
    The 2012-W Proof Platinum Eagle already has a higher mintage than the 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, and 2009 coins. On the other hand, the recent issues seem to enjoy more popularity, and I'm not entirely sure why.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Who is going to be buying the 5 Star General coins? Thoughts on potential?
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who is going to be buying the 5 Star General coins? Thoughts on potential? >>

Well seeing as how the army and moh coins as well as the ssb coins are "not" living up to their potential, I'd say that the general coins will fall by the wayside. Sometimes it's not about the low mintage but about the demand for the design.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    In the end demand trumps all............

Look at UHR............100,000 mintage sells at premium

Many Platinum and FS coins with mintages below 10K that languish.

Many things go into mix to produce final demand but in the end demand trumps all.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Agree.
    Low mintage can languish.
    Demand commands.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Certainly true. I was thinking the same thing as ajman re: the SSB's. It's amazing how poorly that they have done.
  • Options
    The uncirculated Alice Paul First (non)Spouse mintage, at 2322, has now passed the Lucy Hayes at 2260.

Cue the melting pot! image

• Options
    Sometimes it's not about the low mintage but about the demand for the design.

Yes, there is a major design difference between Alice Paul and the UHR for instance.

Still, design isn't everything in terms of demand. Some of the nicest designs in Proof Platinum haven't stimulated fast sellouts at the nominal mintage levels, even in the absence of the fractionals and regular uncirculated issues.

The drop in mintages for even the Proof AGEs tells me that the discretionary spending money is running out. This makes for low mintages as well.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The uncirculated Alice Paul First (non)Spouse mintage, at 2322, has now passed the Lucy Hayes at 2260.

Cue the melting pot! image >>

I doubt you would see many of those in a melting pot when the premium from the Mint is so high. Only the desperate would sell at melt.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    According to this article, there's a strong possibility that the actual mintage of the Lucretia Garfield unc. First Spouse coin is only about 2,167.

If so, this would be the lowest minage U.S. coin in nearly 100 years, eclipsing the Lucy Hayes and all the 2006-2008 plats.

With the more modern and popular presidents and first ladies coming up, I think there's a good chance that we have seen the mintage low point for the First Spouse series.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We wrote on it back around 10/22/12. You can read our article by simply going to my website (www.wondercoins.com) ... it is at the top of the page.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin? Maybe a new word "cointrived" would be a good one to describe these. No interest here, even at 1500 or 1200 pieces...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More for the rest of us. image wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>According to this article, there's a strong possibility that the actual mintage of the Lucretia Garfield unc. First Spouse coin is only about 2,167.

If so, this would be the lowest minage U.S. coin in nearly 100 years, eclipsing the Lucy Hayes and all the 2006-2008 plats.

With the more modern and popular presidents and first ladies coming up, I think there's a good chance that we have seen the mintage low point for the First Spouse series. >>

What is the mintage of Lucy Hayes Unc? I thought that Hayes was the lowest mintage to date.
  • Options
    When Lucy Hayes unexpectedly sold out at around 2260, there were a flood of orders (about 525) during the next few days for the Lucretia Garfield. Collectors and speculators figured (correctly) that the mintage for Lucretia would be about the same as the mintage for Lucy. The 2498 reported sales for Lucretia included 288 orders (according to the article) that could not be filled due to inventory depletion, and were subsequently canceled. This drove the net mintage figure for Lucretia below the reported number for Lucy.

There were probably some Lucy orders canceled by the Mint also, but not nearly as many, since there was no comparable last-minute flood of orders during the final week of sales.

• Options
    Thanks for the info! Most ebay sellers are advertising the Hayes as the "low mintage key" of the series.

Sounds like Garfield is likely the lower of the two but this is not certain. Correct?
  • Options
    According to this article, there's a strong possibility that the actual mintage of the Lucretia Garfield unc. First Spouse coin is only about 2,167.

That article was written in November. Has there been any update?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    There was a last minute surge in orders for the Star Spangle Banner also in its last few weeks. I wonder how many of those got canceled?
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the info! Most ebay sellers are advertising the Hayes as the "low mintage key" of the series.

Sounds like Garfield is likely the lower of the two but this is not certain. Correct? >>

I think it's likely that Lucretia Garfield will edge out Lucy Hayes by 50 to 75 coins. Chances are good that we'll know the official mintage by the end of this year.

Regardless, ~2200 is an insanely low mintage for a modern U.S. gold coin.

• Options
    Thanks for the great info!!

I was thinking about picking one up. Given how close they are and that the key is not certain I'll wait. Very interesting. The bottom for the Spouses??
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 2012-W Proof Platinum Eagle already has a higher mintage than the 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, and 2009 coins. On the other hand, the recent issues seem to enjoy more popularity, and I'm not entirely sure why. >>

There's no fractional versions of the 2012 coins, though. If you collect by design, the one ounce is your only choice.

Wow, I can't imagine collecting one ounce proof platinum coins. Deep pockets.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    How many coin collectors can overcome their ocd in order to collect by design by mixing denominations within a series? I don't think that I could do it.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the attraction of a low mintage modern coin but will the gold spouse series really command a demand across the coin community in the coming years? Maybe a 100 years from now but I just don't see it being a must have set. Same with the Plats...
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I understand the attraction of a low mintage modern coin but will the gold spouse series really command a demand across the coin community in the coming years? Maybe a 100 years from now but I just don't see it being a must have set. Same with the Plats... >>

Like many things they are often not appreciated in their day but i think the low mintage numbers will always get some attention of collectors. The problem for flippers right now is that you never know if a future coin will be the new champion low mintage queen and that keeps current valuations in check. The other problem is that gold is in the doldrums and I suspect that many are concerned that the value will retrace a bit as economies get better. Who really knows for sure though.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>How many coin collectors can overcome their ocd in order to collect by design by mixing denominations within a series? I don't think that I could do it.image >>

I couldn't! image I was collecting proof platinum $50 coins, then gave up after they stopped making them and sold off the three I had.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

There once was a time when Platinum Eagles were my US Mint favorite obsession. Now I could care less. Franklin Mint junk from the 70's and current Platinum Proof Bullion is on the same level, in my eyes.
  • Options
    Although I am somewhat of a "slave" to Mint issues, the Spouse series finally broke my back as did the continuing barrage of commems, gold eagles, gold buffs (OK I like the fractionals), different finishes, contrived mintmark combos, etc. just became overwhelming.

More Spouse issues? Be real, these suck. Generals commemoratives? Be serious....Ugghhh.

I do not think its just me, and portends for - who will care - lower Spouse numbers dependent on flippers and telemarketers (IMO larger scale ripoff flippers)...

This is not a hater post, as to each their own....I would buy buff fractionals if they are offered this year, and STILL get the proof silver set and mint sets for some God-unknown reason.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Franklin Mint junk from the 70's and current Platinum Proof Bullion is on the same level, in my eyes >>

I dont know if i'd go that far. A little bit harsh - wouldnt you say?

Maybe Gold Spouses would be the proper "apples to apples" comparison
  • Options
    << Franklin Mint junk from the 70's and current Platinum Proof Bullion is on the same level, in my eyes >>

Let me know if you have of your Plat collection left, and I'd be glad to take it off your hands at Franklin Mint-type premiums plus a percent or two.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Careful on that partner - I might even take you up on that if you are talking prices like some of the Caribbean later date NCLTs - 1982-1984 - EG 1984 Barbados proof going for 3x issue price one example. Or some of the unc gold like 1982-1984 Belize 100 D at 5-6x bullion or more.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Finding this thread with the search engine is always a frustrating experience, BUT I'm wondering why it's so quiet lately? I was contemplating buying the Alice Paul First Spouse before I saw what a grimace she was wearing. Seemed she had more of a smile in the original sketch. Poor gal. I do think this coin is more interesting for historical reasons than other recent spouses.

Also, anyone heard any news on any special buff releases this year? I want my MTV--I mean, buffaloes!

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    I'm also looking for updates on the reverse proof Buffalo that was mentioned as possibly coming out this year
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    << BUT I'm wondering why it's so quiet lately?>> Well, with the highly anticipated release of the 5-Star Generals series it's no wonder to me that it's so quiet around here. In fact there's really been nothing noteworthy for the last couple of years with the exception of the '11-W and '12-W $50 AGE and the 25th Anniversary SAE set. What we really need is something exciting like the '09 UHR to kick start excitement back into modern collecting again. If they ever do a Buffalo release I'm all in but all we seem to be able to do is sit and watch what happens. It's kinda frustrating.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    Well there is the new type Silver Eagle coming out later this year!
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< BUT I'm wondering why it's so quiet lately?>> Well, with the highly anticipated release of the 5-Star Generals series it's no wonder to me that it's so quiet around here. In fact there's really been nothing noteworthy for the last couple of years with the exception of the '11-W and '12-W $50 AGE and the 25th Anniversary SAE set. What we really need is something exciting like the '09 UHR to kick start excitement back into modern collecting again. If they ever do a Buffalo release I'm all in but all we seem to be able to do is sit and watch what happens. It's kinda frustrating. >>

Yes, after the Generals, what else is there to look forward to?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< BUT I'm wondering why it's so quiet lately?>> Well, with the highly anticipated release of the 5-Star Generals series it's no wonder to me that it's so quiet around here. In fact there's really been nothing noteworthy for the last couple of years with the exception of the '11-W and '12-W $50 AGE and the 25th Anniversary SAE set. What we really need is something exciting like the '09 UHR to kick start excitement back into modern collecting again. If they ever do a Buffalo release I'm all in but all we seem to be able to do is sit and watch what happens. It's kinda frustrating. >>

Yes, after the Generals, what else is there to look forward to? >>

Early numbers for the Generals look dismal.. or great, depending if you're the mint or a flipper.

Something like 2,350 $5 UNC SSBs sold opening week last year.
    The 5 Star General $5 Uncs just reported a one week opening total of 1,674.
  • Options
    << Yes, after the Generals, what else is there to look forward to? >>

Five more of the ever-popular first spouses, of course! image

• Options

<< <i><< Yes, after the Generals, what else is there to look forward to? >>

Five more of the ever-popular first spouses, of course! image >>

The 2012 spouses were not available until REALLY late in 2012, so basically we have not four but *nine* spouses this year. Or eighteen, with both options.

I'd love to see a sub-3,000 proof spouse of any kind. It'd be a new key for the proofs.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I'm not seeing anything x-tra special coming up. Maybe that's gonna be it for the forseeable future.
  • Options
    <<I'd love to see a sub-3,000 proof spouse of any kind. It'd be a new key for the proofs. >>

I don't think it's going to happen. Proofs tend to be bought by collectors and avoided by flippers, IMO. So the 3500+ mintage of each recent First Spouse proof likely represents actual collector demand for these coins. The uncs. have less collector demand, and are more in the domain of speculators.

Once the series is complete, I expect that most new collectors of First Spouse coins will prefer the proofs, as they are generally more attractive than their uncirculated counterparts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file