Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    For all of you plat buffs it looks like spot platinum is about to regain its historic premium to price of gold.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Question? Will the popularity expand and the mintage of the ATB "S" MS quarters increase in 2013 because the coin"s series of "S" MS quarters continues after their introduction in 2012? Thoughts .... >>

Will the ATB quarter albums begin including the circulation-strike "S" quarters? This could boost the popularity and mintage of these coins big time!

It looks like a strong possibility that mintages for the 2012-S quarters will be about 1.4 million each (1.7 million for El Yunque). But much of that mintage (perhaps more than half) will remain tied up in unopened rolls and bags, leaving only about 600K to 1 million of each design to fill the demand for single coins.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it to the Mint to introduce a gratuitous new issue in the middle of a series that began 2 years earlier. What, exactly was the point of these new "S" mint quarters anyhow? I still don't understand the purpose, well except - to milk the collector base, that is.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Leave it to the Mint to introduce a gratuitous new issue in the middle of a series that began 2 years earlier. What, exactly was the point of these new "S" mint quarters anyhow? I still don't understand the purpose, well except - to milk the collector base, that is. >>

I think it was a Federal stimulus for California. There seems to have been a effort to produce more out of that mint branch lately. Maybe a little bacon for Nanci Pelosi.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    1996-W dime.
    Mintage 1.4 million.
    $14.

2012-S Acadia or Denali quarter.
    Possible mintage ~1.4 million (based on mintages of sold-out Chaco Culture and Hawai'i "S" quarters).
    $0.50 ($18.95 per roll from Mint).

Hmmm . . .

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Leave it to the Mint to introduce a gratuitous new issue in the middle of a series that began 2 years earlier. What, exactly was the point of these new "S" mint quarters anyhow? I still don't understand the purpose, well except - to milk the collector base, that is. >>

It's enough to make anyone want to stop collecting moderns. Now everyone's Dansco is out of synch with what's out there. PDSSS. More like PSSSHAW.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1996-W dime.
    Mintage 1.4 million.
    $14.

Possible mintage ~1.4 million (based on mintages of sold-out Chaco Culture and Hawai'i "S" quarters).

Hmmm . . . >>

Interesting comparison indeed but after a few years of S mint quarters they will look like the current 3,000 range bound golden Hags...no special premium. That 1996 dime is a one off. But then again, the upside for the S-quarter looks good when viewed from 50c. image
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1996-W dime.
    Mintage 1.4 million.
    $14.

Hmmm . . . >>

Interesting comparison indeed but after a few years of S mint quarters they will look like the current 3,000 range bound golden Hags...no special premium. That 1996 dime is a one off. But then again, the upside for the S-quarter looks good when viewed from 50c. image >>

I don't think you can compare the S quarters to the 96w dime. The dime was only available in the Mint sets and S quarters are available by the roll. Way more quarters then needed to satisfy demand. I just dumped $50 into circulation last week because it wasn't worth the trouble trying to sell them for a small premium on eBay. That being said I like 'em and have a stash of unopened boxes. It may be a LONG time till I get my money back on them but I still like them as oddities.
  • Options
    Platinum price just crossed gold today...................

Would love to see $2000 platinum and another melt down/scrapping of platinum eagles.

I've got some 2005s, 2007s I'll deface and scrape at that price.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh give me a home where the Buffalo roam. image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny about those "S" mint currency quarters - even mint slaves like me have stayed away. They even take second place to the Kennedy halves produced each year which is at least an established series and mintmarks that are in the albums. BTW, how do they manage to sell 1.7-2 mill of those every year because there must be bags languishing in some peoples' basements? I really do NOT see them in the same light as the '96W dimes.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    I think they need to do an S-Mint, ultra high relief reverse proof Buffalo Gold fractional and only make 10,000. Yes.
  • Options
    I think they should do a high relief, reverse roman proof finish, with obv. buffalo - rev. indian with a bare breasted image of liberty riding on bisons back being led by her life partner "walking liberty".

It could be a series to celebrate alternative lifestyles.

Motto and date raised on octagonal edge, struck in Carson City in $0.50-$1-$3-$4 denomination with metric weights of an alloy of gold/silver/platinum.

Unlimited mintage but only offered for 15 minutes at an unannounced time selected at random by computer.
  • Options

<< <i>I think they should do a high relief, reverse roman proof finish, with obv. buffalo - rev. indian with a bare breasted image of liberty riding on bisons back being led by her life partner "walking liberty".

Motto and date raised on octagonal edge, struck in Carson City in $0.50-$1-$3-$4 denomination with metric weights of an alloy of gold/silver/platinum.

Unlimited mintage but only offered for 15 minutes at an unannounced time selected at random by computer. >>

I llike the liberty riding the bison. Leave the alternative lifestyles to Hollywood.image
  • Options

<< <i>Funny about those "S" mint currency quarters - even mint slaves like me have stayed away. They even take second place to the Kennedy halves produced each year which is at least an established series and mintmarks that are in the albums. BTW, how do they manage to sell 1.7-2 mill of those every year because there must be bags languishing in some peoples' basements? I really do NOT see them in the same light as the '96W dimes. >>

Here are some of the reasons that I view the "S" uncirculated quarters in a more positive light:

*The 1996-W dimes were initially not included in albums either. They are accepted today, hence the $14 price. The ATB quarters likely have more collectors than Roosevelt dimes, so the "S" quarters with the same mintage as the 1996-W dimes should eventually see more overall demand. Even if they don't, the price difference between 2012 ATB "S" quarters (less than $1 each) and 1996-W dimes ($14) is extreme, and I would expect it to narrow over time.

*Many key coins are keys because they were unpopular or overlooked at the time of their release. A prime example is the 1995-W Silver Eagle. At the time of its release, it was widely condemned by many collectors who refused to buy it because it could be obtained only by purchasing a four-coin gold proof set. Only about 30,000 sets with the 1995-W Silver Eagle were sold, even though the authorized mintage was 45,000. Unbelievably, about 10,000 gold proof sets were sold that year by the Mint *without* the Silver Eagle, even though the Mint was charging the same price ($999) whether the Silver Eagle was included or not. Today the 1995 set with the Silver Eagle sells for about double the price of the set without the Silver Eagle, and the 1995-W Silver Eagle is an accepted (and key) part of the series.

*There are many serious roll collectors, hence the robust sales of rolls of Kennedy halves, presidential dollars and P-D America the Beautiful quarters (which are outselling the rolls of "S" quarters). An overwhelming majority of these rolls are likely to stay intact because purchasers are paying a premium for them - on a per-coin basis bags are cheaper, and hence more likely to be broken up to satisfy the demand for singles. (Collectors of single coins also have the option of retrieving them from mint sets, an option that is not available for the 2012-S uncirculated quarters.)

*The number of available single 2012-S quarters of each design (except for El Yunque) is much less than the mintage of 1.4 million would suggest. About 650,000 coins of each design are tied up in rolls. If only 25% of the bags remain intact, that's another 180,000 coins unavailable as singles. This leaves less than 600,000 of each design to fill the demand for singles. This matters very little now, while the "S" quarters have little respect within the collecting community, but it will matter a great deal later on.

• Options
    About 650,000 coins of each design are tied up in rolls. If only 25% of the bags remain intact, that's another 180,000 coins unavailable as singles. This leaves less than 600,000 of each design to fill the demand for singles. This matters very little now, while the "S" quarters have little respect within the collecting community, but it will matter a great deal later on. >>

Do they make rolls un-openable now?
  • Options

<< <i>Do they make rolls un-openable now? >>

No, but as I said in the post: "An overwhelming majority of these rolls are likely to stay intact because purchasers are paying a premium for them - on a per-coin basis bags are cheaper, and hence more likely to be broken up to satisfy the demand for singles."

A quick scan of eBay shows that mint-wrapped rolls of the 2012-S quarters are bringing more than put-together rolls remaindered from opened 100-coin bags. In the case of El Yunque, mint-wrapped rolls are realizing more than $70 each, while put-together rolls in generic wrappers are bringing around $35.

So the mint-wrapped rolls are not un-openable, but they can lose much of their value if opened.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think they should do a high relief, reverse roman proof finish, with obv. buffalo - rev. indian with a bare breasted image of liberty riding on bisons back being led by her life partner "walking liberty".

Unlimited mintage but only offered for 15 minutes at an unannounced time selected at random by computer. >>

I llike the liberty riding the bison. Leave the alternative lifestyles to Hollywood.image >>

..................................................................................................................................................

The politically correct members on US Mint artistic design board will eat it up!!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, well I like that idea than the friggin' FS coins. Can Ms. Liberty also have plenty of , uh, chest enhancement?

I am trying to figure out how coins in rolls do not count. As soon as ?possible? demand rises, out come the rolls with hundreds and thousands of "new" coins available.
    IMO sorry to do this but have to call BS on this one as a sleeper or another version of the '95W Eagle.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Do they make rolls un-openable now? >>

No, but as I said in the post: "An overwhelming majority of these rolls are likely to stay intact because purchasers are paying a premium for them - on a per-coin basis bags are cheaper, and hence more likely to be broken up to satisfy the demand for singles."

OK, but the thought I had was that if demand for the singles increases to the point of driving up the price for a single coin to greatly exceed the per coin price of the Mint rolls then many of those Mint rolls will find their way to meet singles demand and the price will be capped somewhat until all bag and roll supply is dried up. In other words, the market for coins is always a moving target-very dynamic just like so many other things.
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    After seeing this thread, I just tried to order S rolls of Denali and Acadia, and the Denali went through but the Acadia is now sold out.
    FYI.
  • Options

<< <i>I am trying to figure out how coins in rolls do not count. As soon as ?possible? demand rises, out come the rolls with hundreds and thousands of "new" coins available.
    IMO sorry to do this but have to call BS on this one as a sleeper or another version of the '95W Eagle. >>

Let's use El Yunque as an example. Currently a mint-wrapped roll is about $75 and a "put-together" roll is about $35. This means that the mint wrapping around the roll is valued at about $40 more than the coins it encloses. Thus it does not make economic sense to break open the mint-wrapped roll to obtain the single coins within.

Now suppose the value of the coins themselves reaches $75 per roll. At this point the two types of rolls are supposedly equal in value, so it would seem to make sense to open a mint-wrapped roll to sell the coins as singles. But in reality, because of demand from roll collectors, the mint-wrapped rolls will continue to command a premium, even if it is less than before. (This effect can currently be seen in the reduced premiums for silver semi-key coins as the price of silver rises.)

If the price of El Yunque quarters rises high enough (say to the price of the 1996-W dime), the premium on mint-wrapped rolls may disappear and some of them may be broken up for singles. But if such a price rise occurs, it will validate my view that the coin is, as you put it, "a sleeper or another version of the '95W Eagle."

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the 1996 W dime is a perfect analogy to the 2012 S quarters as the 2012 s quarters are changing reverse designs and that dime is the same design as all the others.

This makes me think people are underestimating the possibilities that these coins have. A lot depends on what the mint does going forward, if they sell a lot more 2013 and later S quarters then the 2012 these will go up a lot in value, if they sell less 2013 s quarters then I imagine that will dampen the 2012's. Of coarse the ideal situation for people buying these would be if the mint announced that some of the 2013's would be released into circulation, then these would skyrocket.

Regardless of what the mint does though, I will be surprised if these s rolls go for less than $50 a roll in two years.
  • Options
    A lot of the rolls will be locked up is SD boxes as rolls so it effectively lowers the overall mintage available to collectors. I think prices will rise and peak sometime during the ATB schedule as it is still happening.

• Options
    Regardless of what the mint does though, I will be surprised if these s rolls go for less than $50 a roll in two years. >>

Probably depends on the ratio of collectors/holders to flippers/speculators.
  • Options
    $50 a rolls is barely over $1 per coin, I would not sweat it. There is only upside in these rolls, at least for the first 4.
  • Options
    There is only upside in these rolls, at least for the first 4.

Somehow this reminds me the 2010 Silver ATB mantra "36K mintage bullion has nowhere to go but up" image

And yes - I still have those silver ATBs, in the end the downside is just bullion for those and 25 cents a piece for 2012 "S" ATBs discussed
  • Options
    All of the assumptions for long tern value of 2012-S guarters are wrong for this simple reason..............

Coin collecting as we knew it as kids is gone.

It is not coming back.

Those 500,000 1909-s VDB circulated, got worn, lost and damaged over next 50 years............... By 1959 they were not freely circulating.

To compare mintages with current clad quarters is a real reach.

Sadly as reflected in sales of proof sets, mint sets and various other issues, the number of real collectors of modern coinage is declining every year.

Almost every non bullion based offering is hitting record low sales.

• Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    The USM offerring of Acadia "S" Unc. ATB Quarter Rolls are now "SOLD OUT". No Big Suprise !! Interesting !!
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is only upside in these rolls, at least for the first 4.

Somehow this reminds me the 2010 Silver ATB mantra "36K mintage bullion has nowhere to go but up" image

And yes - I still have those silver ATBs, in the end the downside is just bullion for those and 25 cents a piece for 2012 "S" ATBs discussed >>

I hear yah but these are from the mint, not a few select dealers.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    2012 1oz gold eagle proof...is gone.
    just the 4 coin set now
  • Options
    Will Eric or anyone else be able to find out how many 2012 w gold eagle proof 4-coin sets left?
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I loaded on the 2012 Burnished $50 Gold, and have been waiting for a parade...Maybe I shoulda loaded on quarter rolls instead...image
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    The mint sales report says no Denali 2012 S quarter rolls were sold last week. Is this an oversight on the report?
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I loaded on the 2012 Burnished $50 Gold, and have been waiting for a parade...Maybe I shoulda loaded on quarter rolls instead...image >>

Cas, when will those $50 slugs triple in value? I'm thinking the same question with my 2012 1/10 and 1/4 proof AGEs.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The mint sales report says no Denali 2012 S quarter rolls were sold last week. Is this an oversight on the report? >>

Yup. I bought and I'm sure others did too. Get 'em before their gone.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>The mint sales report says no Denali 2012 S quarter rolls were sold last week. Is this an oversight on the report? >>

Must be, I just got a notice of shipment for several rolls I ordered last Friday.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will Eric or anyone else be able to find out how many 2012 w gold eagle proof 4-coin sets left?

All of the individual options were produced at about 50% of the previous year's numbers. The 2011 4-coin set sales ended at 18,873 so you might estimate the initial set production at 20,000 for 2011. If the relationship between the individual options across 2 011 to 2012 holds true for the 4-coin sets, a reasonable guess for the 2012 4-coin sets might be 10,000 less scrap. If the current reported sales for the 2012 4-coin set is 5,735 my guess for a the remaining number of 2012 4-coin sets would be in the neighborhood of 10,000 minus 5,735 = 4,265 less scrap of maybe 5% = 4,052 remaining sets.

Of course, I've been wrong before. At least once, maybe twice.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Denali sold 2,353 rolls last week, they probably have only about 3500 left to sell.
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Good article from the US Mint Blog regarding the 2012 American Eagle Gold Proof Coins

US Mint Blog - 2012 AGE Proof Coins
  • Options
    Coinupdate.com shows Fist Spouse mintages
    Lucy Hayes ms 2,263
    Lucretia Garfield ms 2,498

But PCGS Top 100 Shows
    Lucy Hayes 2,250
    Lucretia Garfield 2,250

Is Lucretia Equil to Lucy Mintage wise?
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinmaster ... did you read our article ... "It's Ladies Night And Two Hot Numbers Are Already At The Party". It answers your question.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coinmaster ... did you read our article ... "It's Ladies Night And Two Hot Numbers Are Already At The Party". It answers your question.

Wondercoin >>

Link
  • Options
    Thanks Wonder Coin & Felinfoel
  • Options
    alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭
    2012 American Buffalo One Ounce Gold Proof Coin (PJ9) is Sold Out...
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭
    Eric/Mitch: What do you think about the 2012 1 oz proof buffalo?
  • Options

<< <i>Denali sold 2,353 rolls last week, they probably have only about 3500 left to sell. >>

The 2012-S Denali quarter rolls have gone to backorder at the Mint, likely about to go dark if they haven't already.

• Options
    Should be something to talk about soon.

I bet one or more of the 2012 FS offerings are close to going black along with the 4 coin gold eagle proof set.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Should be something to talk about soon.

I bet one or more of the 2012 FS offerings are close to going black along with the 4 coin gold eagle proof set. >>

I guessing the 4 coin set is close to going dark but as for the FS, I am not sure. Didn't the 2011 sell for a while in 2012?
  • Options
    Just guessing by numbers..............

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file