Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I assisted the Price Guide editor this past week with raising the prices on many PCGS First Strike 70 spouse coins as recent sales supported that action we both believed.

The spouse series is a cool series and I believe it will only gain in popularity in the years ahead. And, I am putting my money where my mouth is to be sure so full disclosure on that! Just a word of caution ... make sure to buy the right coins in this series as I believe not all coins will perform equally in the years ahead. Do your homework!

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin >>

I agree, I own many.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << I assisted the Price Guide editor this past week with raising the prices on many PCGS First Strike 70 spouse coins as recent sales supported that action we both believed. >>

Wondercoin, what do you think of the prices shown for the MS69 First Strikes? In many instances (such as Jackson, Van Buren, both Tylers, Sarah Polk), the First Strikes are listed at multiple hundreds of dollars higher than the non-First-Strikes in the same grade. Is this premium also reflected in recent sales?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Just a word of caution ... make sure to buy the right coins in this series as I believe not all coins will perform equally in the years ahead. Do your homework!

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin >>

Wondercoin, that is why I am trying to corner the market on the Martha Washington. She is destined to pop any day now.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overdate: Just my opinion here ... the hundreds of dollars extra is not a valid spread in most cases. BUT, that does not explain why it is invalid ... is the non-FS too low or the FS too high or a combination of both? I will visit the issue with the Price Guide editor in the first quarter of 2013 to be sure. Thanks.

Martha Washington .... Coinsponge ... have you been melting 18,000 of them to create the lowest mintage spouse of all?

Wondercoin image
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Wondercoin, thanks. From what I've observed, the First Strike designation typically adds little if any premium to coins graded 69 or below.

Coinsponge might have a good idea accumulating Martha Washingtons. As I see it, the coin has four things going for it:

1. First coin in series.
    2. Well-known First Lady (especially compared to the more recent issues).
    3. Thousands may have already been melted.
    4. It is priced near bullion value. No premium risk, and the price of gold may go up faster than the premiums on the scarcer issues.

• Options
    Martha Washington .... Coinsponge ... have you been melting 18,000 of them to create the lowest mintage spouse of all?

Wondercoin image >>

You have discovered my diabolical plan.image

Foiled again!
  • Options
    ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Any thoughts on what it's going to take to kick start the Plats? Time frame or event? I was looking at mine and wondering why they hadn't taken off after all this time. Economy? Thoughts, opinions, and even wild a## conjecture invited image
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    "Any thoughts on what it's going to take to kick start the Plats?"

Maybe this thread hitting 25,000 comments?? image

Wondercoin image
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Any thoughts on what it's going to take to kick start the Plats?

HSN?

Gold plated platinum coin set in a nice red oak box.

• Options

<< <i>"Any thoughts on what it's going to take to kick start the Plats?"

Wondercoin image >>

Liquor and Dow 30K.
  • Options

<< <i>"Any thoughts on what it's going to take to kick start the Plats?"

Wondercoin image >>

Liquor and Dow 30K.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it's liquor and Dow 30k.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Nearly all of the modern gold series are hitting low mintages so it is no surprise the plats have not done well lately.
  • Options
    Lucretia Garfield proof ended with reported sales of 3,652 - I think that's lowest for a First Spouse proof.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snoozzzzeeeee some more....

This excitment is getting boring. BTW, I have brought it up before if a SILVER commem in the classic series like some of the Boones have mintages of around 2,000 and mired in"hohumdum" land, how will these fare if they are basically bullion bits?

More Flippers Musical Chairs Action IMO....The songs are getting shorter and the seats fewer.....LOL
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Love the musical chairs analogy. I have a tiny bit of interest in the spouses, but am saving my money for something exciting, such as some new buffalos or something along those lines. Can't believe they're going to honor the generals. Gotta bolster the Military Industrial Complex, I guess--and no coincidence that its Founder, Ike, will be on one of the coins.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    << . . . if a SILVER commem in the classic series like some of the Boones have mintages of around 2,000 and mired in"hohumdum" land, how will these fare if they are basically bullion bits? >>

1938 Boones are low-mintage by date, 2011 First Spouses are low-mintage by type.

• Options
    More Flippers Musical Chairs Action IMO....The songs are getting shorter and the seats fewer.....LOL

IMHO it's not that simply black and white, there are collectors, investors and speculators in the FS game, and some of us are mixture of all three in them. Therefore the number of chairs is somewhat larger than you may think

I collect the FS Liberty subset, chose to invest in gold as a longer term asset and chose to speculate in the Fisrst Spouse option at 17% premium to potentially earn 100%+ returns. As many people on this thread previously pointed out if you generally subscribe to building PM holdings then buying low-mintage FS coins offers a reasonable option with 17% premium
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lucretia Garfield proof ended with reported sales of 3,652 - I think that's lowest for a First Spouse proof. >>

That's probably the lowest minted proof across the board in 80 years...
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    "That's probably the lowest minted proof across the board in 80 years..."

I might compare it to the 4 1/2 minute mile when that was finally accomplished.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Short lived record??

So will the modern coin numismatic 4 minute mile be a 1,000 mintage coin??

Records are made to be broken.
  • Options

<< <i><< . . . if a SILVER commem in the classic series like some of the Boones have mintages of around 2,000 and mired in"hohumdum" land, how will these fare if they are basically bullion bits? >>

1938 Boones are low-mintage by date, 2011 First Spouses are low-mintage by type. >>

CORRECT...... Date and mint mark rarity is worth VERY little in a type set collecting structure.

You go Overdate!
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Eric! No 'final finals' for the 2011's yet this year?
  • Options
    Heads up - looks like 2012 1/4 Oz $10 Proof is going on back-order at USM with product ship date moving to 01/20/2013

2012 1/4 oz $10 Proof at USM

Is it near sell out?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, many see the entire FS series as basically one type with contrived variants. And voila, obviously collector interest reflects this low water/boondoggle mark in US NUmismatics.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Speaking of First Spouses

Watching these Ebay auctions (not mine) - nearly each $2K with 7 more days to go.

2008-W Van Buren's Liberty $10 Gold First Spouse PCGS PF-70 FS
    2008-W Van Buren's Liberty $10 Gold First Spouse PCGS MS-70 FS
    2008-W Jackson's Liberty $10 Gold First Spouse PCGS MS-70 FS
    2008-W Jackson's Liberty $10 Gold First Spouse PCGS PF-70 FS

I'm sure the seller is not complaining about "just bullion"
  • Options
    2012 1/4 oz Proof $10 AGE is showing sold out
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I think to do the largeness of a complete set (and huge cost) of the first spouse coins for type purposes, one is going to do the trick to many people.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Love the musical chairs analogy. I have a tiny bit of interest in the spouses, but am saving my money for something exciting, such as some new buffalos or something along those lines. Can't believe they're going to honor the generals. Gotta bolster the Military Industrial Complex, I guess--and no coincidence that its Founder, Ike, will be on one of the coins. >>

Does anyone have anymore information about the possible Buffalo set? I need to start saving some money months in advance.

Thanks,

BC
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭
    Isn't this the year that the mint has to make the Palladium coins with the Mercury Dime design? I thought it was required per congress two years ago.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>2012 1/4 oz Proof $10 AGE is showing sold out >>

So, it would appear the total mintage, including the 4-coin set is a hair over 10,000. How does this compare to prior years?

Now, the big question is will the mint keep selling the 4-coin set until the end of 2013 and how will this effect the final number???
  • Options

<< <i>
    So, it would appear the total mintage, including the 4-coin set is a hair over 10,000. How does this compare to prior years?

>>

This should help.

http://goldeagleguide.com/mintages/

It looks like it all depends on the number of four coin sets.
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

This should help.

http://goldeagleguide.com/mintages/

It looks like it all depends on the number of four coin sets.
  • Options
    A few items of note:

The 2012-S silver proof set is done at 395,443. This should make for the lowest mintage Roosevelt dime and the second-lowest mintage Kennedy half (after the 1998-S silver uncirculated). Maximum mintage for both should be 445,443 (lower than the 1909-S VDB cent) if the 2012-S silver Limited Edition set sells its issue limit of 50,000.

Meanwhile, 2012-S El Yunque uncirculated quarter rolls are sold out and bringing upwards of $70 each on eBay. The 2012-S Acadia and Denali rolls are still available from the Mint at $18.95 each and may end up with lower mintages than the El Yunque.

• Options

<< <i>
    Meanwhile, 2012-S El Yunque uncirculated quarter rolls are sold out and bringing upwards of $70 each on eBay. The 2012-S Acadia and Denali rolls are still available from the Mint at $18.95 each and may end up with lower mintages than the El Yunque. >>

Some people have more money than brains. $10 of clad quarters for $70. On the other hand this is why I wouldn't make a good flipper. A huge oppurtunity for the flipping crowd.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has the Annual Mint Report for 2012 been confirmed with the San Fran Anny SAE sets? The uber-low mintage of 179,921 was questioned earlier, but I didn't see any confirmation. Is this the final word?

BTW, love those S mint ms quarters! Go Acadia!
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>Has the Annual Mint Report for 2012 been confirmed with the San Fran Anny SAE sets? The uber-low mintage of 179,921 was questioned earlier, but I didn't see any confirmation. Is this the final word?

BTW, love those S mint ms quarters! Go Acadia! >>

Over on the Mint News Blog they confirmed the 224,981 total. The 179,921 was for the mint's fiscal year.
  • Options
    When I ordered some USM products back on Thursday (1/10/13), the Rep. said that the Acadia S Quarter rolls were down to less than 2,000 boxes left before they sell out. Who knows what is left !!
    Specialized Investments
  • Options

<< <i>When I ordered some USM products back on Thursday (1/10/13), the Rep. said that the Acadia S Quarter rolls were down to less than 2,000 boxes left before they sell out. Who knows what is left !! >>

How many rolls to a box?

Also, the sold-out 2012-S Silver Proof Set is now bringing well over $100 on eBay.

• Options
    There is one roll ( 40 coins) of Acadia "S" ATB quarters in each box @ $18.95 each. I think the end is very near !!
    Specialized Investments
  • Options

<< <i>There is one roll ( 40 coins) of Acadia "S" ATB quarters in each box @ $18.95 each. I think the end is very near !! >>

Denali may be right behind. The number of rolls for each of the three sold-out designs is less than 17,000. Similar numbers are likely for Acadia and Denali.

Mint-wrapped rolls of 2012-S quarters are commanding a premium (based on price per coin) compared to 100-coin bags and put-together rolls. There are evidently quite a few roll collectors, considering that sales of the mint-wrapped P-D two-roll sets are in the 21k-24k range.

In addition to being low-mintage, the 2012-S quarters are the only circulation-strike coins that cannot be obtained from mint sets, so mint-wrapped rolls and 100-coin bags are the only sources. I expect that most of the mint-wrapped rolls will stay intact, and collector demand for singles will mostly be filled from opened 100-coin bags.

I'll be surprised if the S-mint Acadia and Denali rolls are still available from the Mint by the end of this week.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A few items of note:

The 2012-S silver proof set is done at 395,443. This should make for the lowest mintage Roosevelt dime and the second-lowest mintage Kennedy half (after the 1998-S silver uncirculated). Maximum mintage for both should be 445,443 (lower than the 1909-S VDB cent) if the 2012-S silver Limited Edition set sells its issue limit of 50,000.

Meanwhile, 2012-S El Yunque uncirculated quarter rolls are sold out and bringing upwards of $70 each on eBay. The 2012-S Acadia and Denali rolls are still available from the Mint at $18.95 each and may end up with lower mintages than the El Yunque. >>

I just ordered 4 sets from Govmint.com. They have them in stock for $89 - for now at least :-)
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

Meant to ask...when did they sell out?
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Has the Annual Mint Report for 2012 been confirmed with the San Fran Anny SAE sets? The uber-low mintage of 179,921 was questioned earlier, but I didn't see any confirmation. Is this the final word?

BTW, love those S mint ms quarters! Go Acadia! >>

Over on the Mint News Blog they confirmed the 224,981 total. The 179,921 was for the mint's fiscal year. >>

Fiscal Year? I get the Mint Blog and didn't see that. The Fed FY is usually 10/1 - 9/30. Gotta link? THANKS
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

I don't follow Roosevelt dimes much. Looks like some 70s are on Ebay in the $30 range. Worth picking some up? Seems that the raw sets are doing well on Ebay.
  • Options
    << Meant to ask...when did they sell out? >>

Link

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same thought on the Hawai'i S quarter?
  • Options
    << Same thought on the Hawai'i S quarter? >>

It looks like Hawai'i and Chaco will have mintages similar to Acadia and Denali. El Yunque has a higher overall mintage, due mainly to sales of 3,000 more bags than the other four designs. Mint-wrapped Hawai'i and Chaco "S" rolls are currently selling for $35 to $40 each plus shipping, cheaper than El Yunque but that may change. I doubt that Acadia and Denali will remain at $18.95 per roll once the Mint's supply is exhausted.

• Options

<< <i><< Meant to ask...when did they sell out? >>

Link >>

Thanks!!
  • Options
    Question? Will the popularity expand and the mintage of the ATB "S" MS quarters increase in 2013 because the coin"s series of "S" MS quarters continues after their introduction in 2012? Thoughts ....
    Specialized Investments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file