Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    I guess you know that a very large percentage of the new $100 proof platinum eagle purchases are for Roth IRA outfits and these coins are being put in vaults without even being looked at. Maybe a couple thousand of them are held by collectors but 10,000 plus are out of circulation now. They will get dumped at some point by those that have no interest in collecting. The last few years $100 proof plats are behaving like they are much lower mintage in collecting circles than they really are. This shows up every where. Prices, availibility, grading etc.
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    For anyone that bought an Uncirculated Lucretia Garfield Spouse gold coin the day or so that it went on backorder in early August, I finally see a change in my order status. Instead of saying it will be shipped 15 days out, mine today says it will ship next week.

Still got my fingers crossed!
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For anyone that bought an Uncirculated Lucretia Garfield Spouse gold coin the day or so that it went on backorder in early August, I finally see a change in my order status. Instead of saying it will be shipped 15 days out, mine today says it will ship next week. >>

I'm still 15 days out with a Cancel box. Ordered 8/8 @ 9:15 AM
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Mine says ship 09/26/2012
    ordered 08/07/2012 at 2:52PM
    cancel box is still there
    Best.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Order Date: 08/07/2012 at 12:53 AM

Still backordered.

If they are going to ship, the status will usually change to in stock and reserved first.

The expected ship date is usually not very useful.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    I ordered at 1:30 pm on 8/7/12.

Even if the ship date doesn't mean much, I'm just glad to see it's different. Someone is doing something.
  • Options

<< <i>I ordered at 1:30 pm on 8/7/12.

Even if the ship date doesn't mean much, I'm just glad to see it's different. Someone is doing something. >>

Yeah, reminds me of when I was in the Army decades ago....a sargent would go around and whenever he saw someone sitting around doing nothing he would point at them and yell.."You, DO SOMETHING even if it is wrong!"
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess you know that a very large percentage of the new $100 proof platinum eagle purchases are for Roth IRA outfits and these coins are being put in vaults without even being looked at. Maybe a couple thousand of them are held by collectors but 10,000 plus are out of circulation now. They will get dumped at some point by those that have no interest in collecting. The last few years $100 proof plats are behaving like they are much lower mintage in collecting circles than they really are. This shows up every where. Prices, availibility, grading etc. >>

Thank you for the very fine 'insider' info Eric!!

I always appreciate your candor and expertise.

It is good to see platinum pricing higher and interest in the 2009-2010 $100 APE's increasing.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Thanks Eric for your comments!

For those who may want tickle their feelings regarding "just bullion/just modern junk" and "First Strike craziness" topics here are the recent sales on eBay:

2012-W PCGS PR70FS $5200 with 4 more days to go

2012-W PCGS PR70FS $5651 sold yesterday

2012-W PCGS PR70FS $5999 sold yesterday

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just my 2 cents ... I have to question the wisdom of those buyers considering the PCGS pop just made a large move up on the 70's. Congrats to those sellers though!

Wondercoin

P.S. For those who do not know, the pop moved up from the high 20's to 48 recently! So, all "comps" to 2008's low pops in the low 30's are now history. Not to mention the sub-20 pop of the 2006 FS $100 which becomes quite a "bargain" when comparing to these 2012 levels. Again, just my 2 cents.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess you know that a very large percentage of the new $100 proof platinum eagle purchases are for Roth IRA outfits and these coins are being put in vaults without even being looked at. Maybe a couple thousand of them are held by collectors but 10,000 plus are out of circulation now. They will get dumped at some point by those that have no interest in collecting. The last few years $100 proof plats are behaving like they are much lower mintage in collecting circles than they really are. This shows up every where. Prices, availibility, grading etc. >>

Keep in mind that metal going into a ROTH cannot come from the person who owns the ROTH. It has to be purchased by the account custodian from a third party supplier at the direction of the account holder. Metal is not going from the mint into IRAs unless it first goes through a buyer who is not the person who owns the IRA account. If coins being sold directly by the mint to the public are ending up in IRA's, it is at a markup as no third party is going to handle the transaction for free.

Note that most people who want metal in their IRA end up doing the proper research and deciding against it. Primary reasons are fees, markups and most importantly the inability to quickly liquidate it in event of an end to the metals bull trend. The farther out an account holder's retirement age is, the greater the odds of the PM bull trend ending/reversing while the IRA is still holding the metal. Rule of thumb is once physical metal is in the IRA it's a pain and takes time to convert it to something else. I reached the conclusion that my own IRAs would be better served with paper metal in the form of mining stocks, mining indexes and some metal ETFs. With paper I can convert to cash with the push of a button.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    2012 W Proof Platinum Eagle on backorder now. Currently sales is 6305.
    Will that be it? Or does it just take time to send the existing stock to PBGS? Or will the Mint strike more??
    The US Mint is so hard to predict image
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Just noticed Alice Paul will be tentatively released on October 11th. Anyone know where the line forms? image
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last few years $100 proof plats are behaving like they are much lower mintage in collecting circles than they really are. This shows up every where. Prices, availibility, grading etc.

This series of Plats began in 2009. Do you think that whenever there is a current series (or subset) in play, it garners more immediate interest than even it's lower mintage predecessors because the prior issues have already gone through a period of distribution and have arrived at some level of price stability?

A different type of collection and set formation may be taking place. Some newer Plat collectors may simply be starting their collections with the Preamble to the Constitution Series starting in 2009, and ignoring everything before then. Cost may be a factor as well. Several who comment here have backed away from the Plats after the fractionals were discontinued.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    UPS attempted a delivery today of my sets of the 75th anniversay SAE's, but alas I wasn't home. I'm going to pick them up at my local customer service center on Monday. What can I expect in the way of quality of these sets? Have there been quality control issues and more importantly is the demand still there for these sets?
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first box of 2 2012 ASE Anni sets arrived today. I have a total of 15 sets coming: box of 1, box of 2 and a box of 10. I canceled the other 14 sets I had back ordered.
    I am keeping these sets sealed and rat holing them until the market picks up at some point.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't heard anything about the quality of the 2nd batch of 75th ASEs. Demand currently stinks and graded 69 sets sell at a loss.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And IMO it should - these just do not have a lot going for them. But I did buy one as a lot of other "slavish" customers do.

I think this still begs the question of just how many collectors (as opposed to accumulators and flippers) there are of these. My guess is a lot lower and fewer than most - gonna venture out and say I think it would be fortunate if there were 50k collectors.

If this is true, let the economy slide and watch what happens, or let there be an alternative and people will dump, dump, dump. Also, wait till the average dummies of us finally figure out that "first strike" and "early release" are more marketing gambits than any real entity...These arteficial separations can make a certain "variety" appear to be scarce, when it is only a labelling issue.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just my 2 cents ... I have to question the wisdom of those buyers considering the PCGS pop just made a large move up on the 70's. Congrats to those sellers though!

Wondercoin

P.S. For those who do not know, the pop moved up from the high 20's to 48 recently! So, all "comps" to 2008's low pops in the low 30's are now history. Not to mention the sub-20 pop of the 2006 FS $100 which becomes quite a "bargain" when comparing to these 2012 levels. Again, just my 2 cents. >>

I think that "question the wisdom" is a charitable statement. A hearty congrats to the sellers. Just amazing. The coin is still being sold, the pops are going up, there is no telling what the final mintage will be and we see these prices. Astonishing.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    On the subject of rare plats...

I purchased a 2008 W $50 PCGS PF70DCAM FS APE back in '08. I've not seen one sold in a while but I have not been checking as frequently as I used to. Has anyone seen one of these trade recently? If so, for what price? Thanks!!
  • Options
    "I think that "question the wisdom" is a charitable statement."

Perhaps ... pop just shot up again to 61! If folks want to pay a $3,000 premium for a label with that kind of pop on a coin minted a couple months ago, they obviously deserve everything that comes their way later.

Just saying (my 2 cents worth as usual) ....

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    2008 W $50 PCGS PF70DCAM FS APE back in '08. I've not seen one sold in a while but I have not been checking as frequently as I used to. Has anyone seen one of these trade recently?

Raufus, I still track Plats on ebay sales and I only have record of 2 such transactions. I don't keep track of when the transactions occured but the most recent ebay sale was $3,510 and the earlier one was $4,062.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    I like the 2008-W Unc Platnum's even better. Only a total of 32 First Strike Sets possible to be made.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options

<< <i>2008 W $50 PCGS PF70DCAM FS APE back in '08. I've not seen one sold in a while but I have not been checking as frequently as I used to. Has anyone seen one of these trade recently?

Raufus, I still track Plats on ebay sales and I only have record of 2 such transactions. I don't keep track of when the transactions occured but the most recent ebay sale was $3,510 and the earlier one was $4,062. >>

Thanks so much for the info!! Not bad for 0.5 oz of platinum.
  • Options
    Duplicate post, sorry.
  • Options

<< <i>I like the 2008-W Unc Platnum's even better. Only a total of 32 First Strike Sets possible to be made. >>

....................................................................................................................................................................................

That assumes there are no more submissions.

I still hold a modest number of 2008 FS eligible plats I just haven't gotten around to submitting and I doubt I am the only one.

As wondercoin has pointed out there are still sealed gold and silver eagles around from the 1980s and 1990s so no reason to think there might not be collectors holding sealed plats from past 5-10 years.
  • Options
    Sorry................accidental double post.
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Egger allowed me to post this.
    "Just did the new mint survey, asked about a

reverse proof buffalo for the 100th anniversary,

fractional buffalo proofs and ms series. looks like those could be coming back

any design changes to the buffalo's ( just like the plats) reverse/obverse changes

looks like we will see these in the next 2 years."

My few questions would be:
    What effect will this have on the 08 fractional buffs?
    Will this have an impact on the 1oz buffs?

Im curious if they will do the mint to demand (2 coin SF Silver) or limited run like other anniversary sets. Regardless of the impact on the current buffs, I would want them to do the fractionals cause I just love the way the fractional buffs look image
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    "Regardless of the impact on the current buffs, I would want them to do the fractionals cause I just love the way the fractional buffs look"

I totally agree...bring back the little buffs.
  • Options
    I would be a buyer as well. The question would be weather to cash in big time on the 08Ws as they would no longer be unique. At current gold prices, 13W buff sets would really drain the funds!
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    It has been a few years so I decided to get a 2013 Red Book to see what it looks like. Anyway, one thing I noticed is that the Spouse mintage figures are reported through Sarah Polk. I looked at the numbers I had and compared them to what was in the book. Virtually all the numbers are different and they had the Sarah Polk Unc mintage at only 1893 coins. My last number on that coin was 3501. What gives with this? Is Red Book off or are they more correct? It just seems to me that a publication like Red Book would have access at the Mint for the true mintage numbers.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I like the 2008-W Unc Platnum's even better. Only a total of 32 First Strike Sets possible to be made. >>

....................................................................................................................................................................................

I still hold a modest number of 2008 FS eligible plats I just haven't gotten around to submitting and I doubt I am the only one.

As wondercoin has pointed out there are still sealed gold and silver eagles around from the 1980s and 1990s so no reason to think there might not be collectors holding sealed plats from past 5-10 years. >>

If I recall correctly, the Unc Plats were sold for a short period and then pulled. Months later they went back on sale at about half the original cost. What are the eligible dates for FS designation?image
  • Options
    Coinsponge: The mintages are way off I believe. Although, I am not sure it matters all that much at this point. I do not see much evidence (yet) of collectors "chasing" the super low mintage coins that are not really that "super low" mintage coins.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    SCDHunter: Every First Strike eligible coin has it First Strike cutoff date listed on PCGS' homepage. Click around the homepage and you will find the link. I don't recall off the top of my head exactly where it is, but it is there.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    MikeyMoMikeyMo Posts: 73 ✭✭
    Scroll down for long list of First Strike cutoff dates :

Link
  • Options
    IMO, some of the high $ coins (first spouse, plats etc especially the 2008, 2009 dated coins)
    were originally bought by collectors and will remain in collections and be passed on.
    In today’s market even the High $ coins are NOT being bought by anyone other than
    those wanting to FLIP the coin based on mintage.

What I am trying to say is that a coin with 5000 mintage at the end of the day will command a higher premium
    than a coin with 3000 mintage…as the 5k mintage coins will stay in the family
    and be passed on generation to generation…where as the 3k mintage coins will GO to Market day in and day out.

This thread has a lot of useful info but at times it sounds like the “TV promoters late at night” for a lack of a better term.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Finished my survey - for the US Mint,

Many questions on a 2013 100th Anniversary Reverse Proof 1 oz coin.

Also many questions on releasing fractional buffalo gold in both proof and uncirculated.

Also asked opinion on mintage.........20K, 35K, 50K, Mint to Demand, and Mint to demand within purchase window.

Looks like they are moving forward with this idea.......looks like 2008-W fractional prices may be impacted if this happens.......from a standpoint of those who dont have ANY will be able to OBTAIN fractionals of another date.

Production levels, market conditions, who knows at the time of release.......
  • Options
    Keeping my opinion of a possible mintage level for the potential 2013 reverse proof buffalo a secret......

what would your opinion be? The verbiage the US Mint used in the question seemed to discount a STRAIGHT mint to demand scenario (but not a Mint to Demand within ORDERING WINDOW scenario), but the option was still there.

Choices:

Mint to Demand
    Mint to Demand within ordering window

Of course everyone wants a low mintage issue, but depending on the ordering window, and also if a ORDER LIMIT was employed within that window, it may be a good option.....

• Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SCDHunter: Every First Strike eligible coin has it First Strike cutoff date listed on PCGS' homepage. Click around the homepage and you will find the link. I don't recall off the top of my head exactly where it is, but it is there.

Wondercoin >>

Thanks Mitch. I found it under the services and fees section.

I purchased one set in July for $4289.95! Unfortunately, I opened it since this was during the same period when PCGS disqualified collectors club members from the FS program.image
  • Options
    I wonder how they determine who gets the surveys/communications from The Mint.

I purchased several gold spouse coins from The Mint yet did not get the spouse letter.

I purchased five figures in 08 W gold buffs - proofs and uncs, singles and sets - yet no buff survey.

Have others made such purchases yet not received the survey or letter?
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Coinsponge: The mintages are way off I believe. Although, I am not sure it matters all that much at this point. I do not see much evidence (yet) of collectors "chasing" the super low mintage coins that are not really that "super low" mintage coins.

Wondercoin >>

"Yet"! image

Still, is there any sub 5000 mintage coins that do not hold a premium over others that do not hold that distinction.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>Keeping my opinion of a possible mintage level for the potential 2013 reverse proof buffalo a secret......

what would your opinion be? The verbiage the US Mint used in the question seemed to discount a STRAIGHT mint to demand scenario (but not a Mint to Demand within ORDERING WINDOW scenario), but the option was still there.

Choices:

Mint to Demand
    Mint to Demand within ordering window

Of course everyone wants a low mintage issue, but depending on the ordering window, and also if a ORDER LIMIT was employed within that window, it may be a good option..... >>

...............................................................................................................

Based on their success with the 2012-S silver eagle set sales combined with problems/complaints from 75th set sales I believe that unless otherwise required by congress all special coin offerings in future will be Mint to Demand within ordering window.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

As wondercoin has pointed out there are still sealed gold and silver eagles around from the 1980s and 1990s so no reason to think there might not be collectors holding sealed plats from past 5-10 years. >>

If I recall correctly, the Unc Plats were sold for a short period and then pulled. Months later they went back on sale at about half the original cost. What are the eligible dates for FS designation?image >>

Correct. It is very unlikely there are more than a handful that are first strike eligible, as the price of platinum dropped by half within the 30 day return window. So most people who ordered within the 30 day window returned their coins.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options

<< <i>Based on their success with the 2012-S silver eagle set sales combined with problems/complaints from 75th set sales I believe that unless otherwise required by congress all special coin offerings in future will be Mint to Demand within ordering window. >>

The funny thing is the question specifically mentions that they want to produce a "Limted Mintage" issue, but, it gives the options of choosing an answer that includes "Mint to Demand"

I would think a straight "Mint to Demand" is out.

However, an ordering window becomes tricky......maybe it's a limited quantity per HH for the first week, then open ordering of quantities up to a specified amount?
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Based on their success with the 2012-S silver eagle set sales combined with problems/complaints from 75th set sales I believe that unless otherwise required by congress all special coin offerings in future will be Mint to Demand within ordering window. >>

I agree. However, I wonder if the Mint will see the "counter" as a success? I don't believe it was particularly accurate or relevant to the process or final sales numbers. Apparently, the Mint accepted mail orders for days/weeks after ordering closed, if they had a post mark at or before the last day of ordering. It's rumored that the number of orders after the counter stopped totaled 100,000+.
  • Options
    Long time lurker here. I just have to say that I have been following this thread for what seems like years now, and it is without a doubt one of the most informative threads I have ever read. Thanks to all of you who contribute to it, especially Eric.
  • Options

<< <i>Long time lurker here. I just have to say that I have been following this thread for what seems like years now, and it is without a doubt one of the most informative threads I have ever read. Thanks to all of you who contribute to it, especially Eric. >>

Glad to have you as a contributor to the thread!
  • Options
    Welcome traelin0.image

Good to have you here.

I've been trying to keep track of the current mintages for the ASEs that were issued in 2011 & 2012, so that I could make a comment on the potential for a low mintage sleeper in response to the discussions over mintages and complaints about various set sales issues.

It does get confusing, even when you think you've got it nailed. The Mint's erratic issuing of various finishes and mint marks in various sets and singles doesn't lend itself to any type of spreadsheet or easy way of keeping track, and it takes more work than it's worth.

Could be the makings of some key coins. On the other hand, they are probably losing some collectors and potential collectors along the way - every time that they say one thing and then pull a "fast one" by dumping on collectors who thought that they had a special set with 2 special coins, instead of a set with 1 special coin and 1 ripoff coin.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file