Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    Had a wonderful day in Boston. Talked to Eric for quite awhile, and received some valuable information. He is the best!

Visited the Mint display in Boston, and found out that they are selling the 2010 Eagle Proof at ANA at noon tomorrow in Boston. They are right next to PCGS, and not far from NGC where you can walk your coin to have it graded in 24 hours.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selling it on location tomorrow?

I thought they did not do this for coins with a household limit??!!?!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Yes, they are selling it tomorrow, but you are only allowed to buy one. I also asked about the MA sales tax and they said the Mint does not have to collect it. The coin is almost $1900.
  • Options
    just called and confirmed that Boston will have them tomorrow, otherwise it is online only.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think that we will see a FS with a lower mintage than Letitia. That key will most likely not be as attractive....may not even be worth as much.
  • Options
    will the eagle sell out tomorrow or do you think they will have some on friday?
  • Options
    I asked about how many they had in Boston, but I couldn't get an answer so I don't think anyone knows.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Playing the ounce plats seems way too speculative to me. I believe the only sound way to go is the .10 & .25, specifically the 08 & 05 with a serious look at the 07 in PCGS PR70. The low mintages and the availability of FS make the 08 & 07 strong, and the small % of pr70s make the 05 look strong. I've been negative on the 97 & 98 because of their relative stratospheric mintages, but the ratio of pr70s to coins submitted is still by far the best--so I'm starting to soften. Even if you don't subscribe to the plastic/70 game, I'd still concentrate my funds on the aforementioned.

...while I'm on my soapbox, if you haven't sold the majority of your 08 buffs image 2013 is coming and I'd still still put better than even money on 2013 fractional Buffs (If your that attached to the 08, you can always buy them back at a discount). jmo

To quote the great Yogi Berra, "The little plats will be good as gold someday." image
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't posted my chart for a couple months (NOT SPAM, I have none that I'd sell):

• Options
    Thanks for the chart.

Really gives you a great overview and shows the landscape well.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Always love the chart DR! Thanks for the occasional repost.

Agree with you on the one-ounce plats. I don't see them ever going anywhere. The fractionals, though, are a whole different ballgame--more affordable, more attractive, etc...

I do have to say I think it'd be foolish to dump your buffs now. Sure, if you have extras and want some cash, but if the buffs DO come back in 2013, I'd guess some major mintage figures. But basically, I don't think we'll see them again. I know that mine are going to stay in the SDB.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    Seperate from any buy-hold-sell discussion I believe the mint has made it clear in many public statements that they wish to advance the art of coin design and are looking to new designs not retreads of past designs.

If we are going to do retreads lets not forget 2014 is 150th anniversary of 2 cent piece and 2015 the 150th anniversary of the 3 cent nickel!!

Two Cent (1864-1873)
    Three Cent Nickel (1865-1889)

Now I'd buy some rolls of those................
  • Options
    Just bought my AE Platinum Proof. $1892 + $4.95 S&H. Already says "back ordered"! Unreal.
  • Options

<< <i>Just bought my AE Platinum Proof. $1892 + $4.95 S&H. Already says "back ordered"! Unreal. >>

Backordered doesn't have any significance for an item that just went on sale. I'm sure even the first one to order has the same status.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just bought my AE Platinum Proof. $1892 + $4.95 S&H. Already says "back ordered"! Unreal. >>

That's the Mint's SOP on most orders...check tomorrow for a more accurate stat.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    did anyone get there's at the boston show?
  • Options
    They only sold 50, and it took about 10 minutes.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the chart.

Really gives you a great overview and shows the landscape well. >>

Yes, THANKS!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    First Strike for the platinum starts on the 12th, the day they were sold in Boston.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HalfStrike, excuse me for being a sexist pig, but some of those have real low-mintage potential.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    And to think this is the "glamor shot" version of these ladiesimage
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And to think this is the "glamor shot" version of these ladiesimage >>

Hey, those are real girls (ladies). They didn't have the cosmetics, lyposuction, plastic surgery etcetera that we have today. But then, how do we explain Hillary.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>Check this guys feedback................

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-W-Buffalo-Gold-4-coin-Proof-Set-Superb-Quality-/170525530636?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 >>

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Is there any limit to how stupid Ebay buyers can be??

32 bids.......one over $6,000 from a guy with 2200 feedback.

Check final price then check sellers feedback................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170525530636&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
  • Options
    Sorry......a hiccup.
  • Options
    is there any limit to how stupid eBay can be???

after a few of the same feedback from different people, I'd at least suspend selling privs.
  • Options
    If anyone here hasn't yet ordered Eric's EXCELLENT book, you can now preview the first 50 pages here.. You will definitely want to order after reading the preview.

FloridaBill
  • Options
    New KP Article coming out next month.

The Stones Rejected By the Builders

Few series in US coinage history have been greeted with greater distain by the collecting community than the First Spouse series of $10 gold. Plagued by high initial cost, designs that don’t appeal to the typical collector and poor series cohesion the First Spouse issues have seen a continuous deterioration in their sales to the point that their mintages are becoming 100 year anomalies in gold.

It might be time to take a second look at these coins.
    1. Series go through what the mint calls an inaugural sales spike when it first comes out and somewhere after the fourth issue or fourth year, sales have a tendency to bottom out. True to form this $10 gold series mintage numbers spiked the first 4 issues and then proceeded to crash in dramatic fashion.

2. Our friends at the Mint have to plan their planchet usage very closely these days due to limited supplier capacity and they are ordering and striking coins based on “anticipated demand”. The thing is the Mint has been seeing mint state sales for these coins in the 3-4 thousand range this year and proof sales in the 5-6 thousand range. It is possible that the last of the four coin Liberty short set has been short stuck relative to its sales potential.

3. Type coins with beautiful or Iconic images tend to pick up collector base quickly. The Hawiian half is not $3000 because it has a 10,000 mintage. The Hudson, Old Spanish Trail and many other mint marked commemoratives populate a similar rarity class but don’t command anything like the Hawaiians price. A more recent example is the $10 gold Buffalo. The Indian and Buffalo designs are considered outstanding by many and its direct similarities to the Buffalo nickel have helped produce a four fold price jump in 2 years.

4. The forth and final liberty issue coming in September is struck on a half once gold planchet, has a $10 denomination and a beautiful Coronet Head Obverse. If you cant afford the $10,000 price tag on a Cameo Proof $10 Gold Eagle struck in the late 1800s then the Bucannons Liberty may be an affordable alternative. Don’t be shocked if this coin displays completely different behavior than the other generic First Spouse issues after sales close.

5.In a recent PCGS on line survey the Liberty subset featuring 1800s obverses with presidential images on the reverse demonstrated dramatically stronger collector interest than the series in general. The good-looking Liberty short set’s potential is largely divorced from the series it inhabits.

Collector base convergence can be an important signpost of future greatness. Large denomination late 1800s Coronet Head Cameo Proof Gold is often referred to as the “Roles Royce” of American coinage and has a staggering price tag to go with it. Some classic collectors with a limited budget will want a proof Buchanan’s Liberty, four coin Liberty short set collectors will need one as will complete set First Spouse collectors. The potential convergence of multiple collector bases on one coin is a good sign as is the Mints recent tendency to strike to anticipated demand.

If you would like a Cameo Proof $10 Coronet Head Liberty and can afford it then it might be a good idea to go buy it when it comes on sale and not play an extended waiting game with the Mint. There can be times in life when unnecessary procrastination proves costly.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re Halfstrikes pics: confirms my beliefs I said a few months ago here that a new lower mintage "Spouse" in this series is very doable (along with Eric's comments on the Mint's recent practices.)
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Nice article, Eric. The Mint should give you a hefty commission if Buchanan sells out!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    2. Our friends at the Mint have to plan their planchet usage very closely these days due to limited supplier capacity and they are ordering and striking coins based on “anticipated demand”. The thing is the Mint has been seeing mint state sales for these coins in the 3-4 thousand range this year and proof sales in the 5-6 thousand range. It is possible that the last of the four coin Liberty short set has been short stuck relative to its sales potential.

While this will be a nice coin to collect, I think that the Mint is striking to actual demand and probably will result in a high mintage relative to the other recent issues. This may result in a flat appreciation in value above the value of the gold in the long run. This may be the first issue in quite a while to sell out before the year is out. Of course in the short run, a sell out is always good for a quick pop.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Just got notification that my AE Plat shipped. I thought it wouldn't ship until the 24th. Oh well, looks like I am about $1900 poorer as of tonight.
  • Options
    Just checked the Mint website....looks like the price of the AE Plat went down $100?!
  • Options

<< <i>2. Our friends at the Mint have to plan their planchet usage very closely these days due to limited supplier capacity and they are ordering and striking coins based on “anticipated demand”. The thing is the Mint has been seeing mint state sales for these coins in the 3-4 thousand range this year and proof sales in the 5-6 thousand range. It is possible that the last of the four coin Liberty short set has been short stuck relative to its sales potential.

While this will be a nice coin to collect, I think that the Mint is striking to actual demand and probably will result in a high mintage relative to the other recent issues. This may result in a flat appreciation in value above the value of the gold in the long run. This may be the first issue in quite a while to sell out before the year is out. Of course in the short run, a sell out is always good for a quick pop. >>

Could be, its all about how many planchets they have/had on hand.

92 vette you can have the Article but please put a link to our moderns book on the site.

Eric
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Check this guys feedback................

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-W-Buffalo-Gold-4-coin-Proof-Set-Superb-Quality-/170525530636?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 >>

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Is there any limit to how stupid Ebay buyers can be??

32 bids.......one over $6,000 from a guy with 2200 feedback.

Check final price then check sellers feedback................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170525530636&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT >>

link

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

<< <i>Just checked the Mint website....looks like the price of the AE Plat went down $100?! >>

FYI they lowered it around noon today.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

• Options

<< <i>Just checked the Mint website....looks like the price of the AE Plat went down $100?! >>

FYI they lowered it around noon today. how did this happen? sorry about the doubling,

• Options
    I Just Noticed a 2008-W $10 Gold unc. Eagle PCGS MS70 First Strike sell on E-bay for $2,850.00 ... A PCGS MS70 with no First Strike goes off in less than a day, so far is bid only to a little over a thousand $. It seems if its low mintage your crazy not to go for First strike. The problem is by the time low mintage looks good, its well past 30 days. image
  • Options
    ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    A raw 08w unc plat set just sold for $4795. Are they coming down in price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280549072300&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options

<< <i>I Just Noticed a 2008-W $10 Gold unc. Eagle PCGS MS70 First Strike sell on E-bay for $2,850.00 ... A PCGS MS70 with no First Strike goes off in less than a day, so far is bid only to a little over a thousand $. It seems if its low mintage, your crazy not to go for First strike. The problem is by the time low mintage looks good, its well past 30 days. image >>

The E-bay non first strike sells for $ 1,486.05 --- Thats near Double for the plastic " WOW " image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And not just near crazy...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    buy singles and keep them sealed (mailing boxes) just in case FS is a huge premium over non-FS. PCGS will accept sealed shipping boxes shipped (postmark) date to you on or before FS cutoff date - as FS eligible.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I Just Noticed a 2008-W $10 Gold unc. Eagle PCGS MS70 First Strike sell on E-bay for $2,850.00 ... A PCGS MS70 with no First Strike goes off in less than a day, so far is bid only to a little over a thousand $. It seems if its low mintage, your crazy not to go for First strike. The problem is by the time low mintage looks good, its well past 30 days. image >>

The E-bay non first strike sells for $ 1,486.05 --- Thats near Double for the plastic " WOW " image >>

Meanwhile, the 2008-W $5 unc. Gold Eagle (mintage 12,657) languishes at about $400 in PCGS MS70 and around $250 in PCGS MS69. I think it's the better buy.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    The problem is by the time low mintage looks good, its well past 30 days.

I don't have the room to securely store unopened box after box, each having a coin that might benefit from FS some day.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh, so you are in the market for warehouse space?
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I'd just like to say that I've been periodically keeping up with this thread and several others, and I am so freaking amazed at the prices that sellers are offering items such as the 2008-W Double Prosperity Set and the fractional Buffaloes. I'll go ahead and admit it. I missed the boat when people advised to buy up before they dry up. I did score a 2008-w unc. $10 buff as well as a couple of the 2008-W $10 gold eagles but I can't tell you how often I cry myself to sleep wishing I did this or wishing I did that. If I may ask, is there anything left that looks as if it is a good buy now, even after a couple of years? Any info or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks. Tony.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why in the world would anyone pay a premium for "First Strike?" We all know, every one of us, that the designation has NOTHING to do with when the coins are struck. Rather, it is when the coins are GRADED. Or to be technical, when the coins are mailed out and THEN sent to be graded. But hurry, those same coins will lose status if not sent in during the thirty day period? Gimme a break! As in the case of 2010 APE proofs, every single coin will presumably be "First Strike" eligible. It's been a few years now since this numismatic myth was exposed. Why are we still promoting First Strike silliness?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file